Hiking up K2!

Me and @Fluburtur have decided we would like to go up and hike to the highest point in the mountain chain to the east of the KSC known as the K2 Mountain Chain, named after it's highest peak, K2 which is 6,767 meters above sea level! We will take a vehicle over the hills between the KSC and the foot of the mountain, then we will dismount and walk the mountain like true natural explorers using our Kerbals. It will be dangerous, as well as long. Even on foot, one slip could toss you back down the mountainside and waste countless amounts of time and effort. So please join us as we livestream (and record) this event!

Now, there was initial discussion by me to make this a charity livestream event, but I am uncertain. I could, but I want to know if it's worth the time and the effort to assemble (I'm certain any amount on the community's part will have a massive impact on the ones receiving the donations). So let me know :) .

We also require someone who can livestream this with us so the world can watch us go :) . So if you can livestream with beautification mods (and DMP) let us know so we can get you in. We could invite someone else as well if they could record the event under the same setup.

Stream Info:

Date/Time: TBD

Members: ZooNamedGames, Fluburtur...

Streamer (and link): Needing a Livestreamer!

Recorder (and link): Need a Recorder!

Charity Event?: TBD

Mods: DMP, (for streamers/recorders) SVE High or Ultra Resolution and Texture Replacer.

KSP Version: 1.1.2 (as of this time)

Come back often to see updates on this! I hope to see you on the day of the hike :D ! We can't wait.

Well, that is a crazy idea. Doing it in a rover is crazy enough, but doing it on foot, with no brakes? You're a brave man

That said, if you aproach the mountain from the north, you can rover out easily up to 3000m. The rest ... it is hard even on rover.

13 minutes ago, r_rolo1 said:

Well, that is a crazy idea. Doing it in a rover is crazy enough, but doing it on foot, with no brakes? You're a brave man

That said, if you aproach the mountain from the north, you can rover out easily up to 3000m. The rest ... it is hard even on rover.

Kerbals have many advantages over rovers, especially in 1.1. They can climb far steeper surfaces as well as jump and ragdoll which rovers cannot, so with proper planning we can reach our destination.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Kerbals have many advantages over rovers, especially in 1.1. They can climb far steeper surfaces as well as jump and ragdoll which rovers cannot, so with proper planning we can reach our destination.

While climbing, ragdolling does not sound like an advantage...

6 minutes ago, regex said:

I mean ... okay?  No judgement of those doing it but the activity itself is going to make for one hell of a boring stream...

I never said it would be an "epic exciting action adventure!!" livestream. This is supposed to be like a literal hike up a hill in real life. It's not meant to be eventful, it's supposed to be a relaxing trip to test ourselves and see the world (in this case Kerbin) in a new light. Anyone who enjoys a good walk in real life will enjoy this :) .

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

While climbing, ragdolling does not sound like an advantage...

We'll make it work. Besides they can climb steeper surfaces which is they're primary advantage- along with no popping wheels, no parts falling off or breaking. No batteries, just the ability to walk.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Anyone who enjoys a good walk in real life will enjoy this :) .

Uh, sure...  y'all have fun sitting in your chairs having a walk.

1 minute ago, regex said:

Uh, sure...  y'all have fun sitting in your chairs having a walk.

Besides, this is a chance for us to talk to each other and possibly whoever is out there. This is fellowship between people across the world, whether it be in a chair or on a treadmill, the ability to replicate the act of walking and talking to each other across multiple nations or more is an impressive feature.

It's more than just sitting, it's enjoying each other and possibly learning what we enjoy about ourselves and others.

Lastly, if it's a charity stream, can you complain what we stream in relation to KSP?

3 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Besides, this is a chance for us to talk to each other and possibly whoever is out there. This is fellowship between people across the world, whether it be in a chair or on a treadmill, the ability to replicate the act of walking and talking to each other across multiple nations or more is an impressive feature.

It's more than just sitting, it's enjoying each other and possibly learning what we enjoy about ourselves and others.

Lastly, if it's a charity stream, can you complain what we stream in relation to KSP?

I mean, maybe. What's the charity? Who runs it? How much of their money goes to their specified cause and how much goes to "administrative overhead"?

And then there's the question of who would watch it if you're trying to raise a significant amount of money for something. I don't usually join livestreams to talk to people. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I'd suggest at least having some cool structures built/something to do/show off at various points along the hike, if nothing else.

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I think you're misinterpreting regex here. He's not complaining. Knowing him, he doesn't give a damn what you do. I think he's pointing out that if you're trying to attract viewers and donations, you're really not helping yourselves :/

1 minute ago, stupid_chris said:

I think you're misinterpreting regex here. He's not complaining. Knowing him, he doesn't give a damn what you do. I think he's pointing out that if you're trying to attract viewers and donations, you're really not helping yourselves :/

Well it's more for us than others. If others want to join then we'd love to have them with us, but if not. We have each other.

2 minutes ago, Accelerando said:

I mean, maybe. What's the charity? Who runs it? How much of their money goes to their specified cause and how much goes to "administrative overhead"?

And then there's the question of who would watch it if you're trying to raise a significant amount of money for something. I don't usually join livestreams to talk to people. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I'd suggest at least having some cool structures built/something to do/show off at various points along the hike, if nothing else.

The charity we will donate to is still TBD... so we'll make sure not to pick one that's for a bad cause.

You don't join livestreams to talk, but some do. Some people don't have many to people to talk to. It's a lonely world out there and some people want to just have someone talk to them and a hike is a perfect time to as there is nothing distracting you. It's just you, the person and your final destination.

This isn't a showcase. It's a hike.

tbh tho you guys should set up some discrete beis kamps to mark your progress on the way up, maybe do some Kerbal Konstructs stuff...

Still not gonna watch it.

1 minute ago, regex said:

tbh tho you guys should set up some discrete beis kamps to mark your progress on the way up, maybe do some Kerbal Konstructs stuff...

Still not gonna watch it.

Maybe we will (not with KK since neither of us know how).

It's simply not for you. I'm certain there are people out there who just want to have a nice afternoon talking to people.

Even with time warp its gona take a while. Snacks?

It will be cold up there!

and you will need to carry ya stuff too.

Be safe and MAKE SURE:wink::wink::wink: you let somebody know when you leave and expect to return. Here is probably a good place. Then if the Terrain Kraken traps you or you come down with chronic rag doll. A search/rescue mission can be done. I have checked 'notify me of replies' so 24h after your intended return with no summit selfies posted. I and or others will use the link to the persistant file POSTED HERE:wink::wink::wink: to kerbal a rescue. 

Oh what are ya gona write on your flag when you plant it on the summit?

dont answer that. Just put it in some selfies and surprise us. 

Edited by bonyetty

6 minutes ago, teag2 said:

Sounds great! If you need a broadcasting/recording software, I'd recommend Open Broadcasting Software. It can do both, and possibly at the same time.

Edit: And it's free and doesn't leave any prints in the video.

I have it, but the issue is neither of us have a machine strong enough to stream it and play KSP at the same time.

4 minutes ago, bonyetty said:

Even with time warp its gona take a while. Snacks?

It will be cold up there!

and you will need to carry ya stuff too.

Be safe and MAKE SURE:wink::wink::wink: you let somebody know when you leave and expect to return. Here is probably a good place. Then if the Terrain Kraken traps you or you come down with chronic rag doll. A search/rescue mission can be done. I have checked 'notify me of replies' so 24h after your intended (return with no summit selfies posted. I and or others will use the link to the persistant file POSTED HERE:wink::wink::wink: to kerbal a rescue. 

Oh what are ya gona write on your flag when you plant it on the summit?

It will take a while!

we want to keep it mod light as well so that KSP behaves. But as to the first mod, the hike is long, but since air isn't a factor and neither will be food over that duration. As to the second, I find it redundant as we won't have any parts. As to the 3rd we might use it, but again we want to stay mod light.

We'll make sure to keep you all posted on our progress, especially through the stream :) .

We plan to simply enjoy the vista. No flag or object could properly say the challenges we will face and how amazing it will feel to be there. Let the beauty speak for itself.

I like ya thinking. Don't poke the bear. And If anything untoward were to happen chances of a rescue would be greatly improved without out mods. Why did I doubt you. Right on safety first. Too many Kerbals lost these days.

21 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Which mountain is K2?

The one right of the KSC.

21 minutes ago, bonyetty said:

I like ya thinking. Don't poke the bear. And If anything untoward were to happen chances of a rescue would be greatly improved without out mods. Why did I doubt you. Right on safety first. Too many Kerbals lost these days.

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

Which mountain is K2?

39 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

The one right of the KSC.

You mean west? "right" is hard to define. If you had to define it as anything, it'd be east, and east of KSC is a whole lotta water.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.