Dres Plus Development Thread

Welcome to the Dres Plus Development Thread! 

Here I will post the latest updates for my Dres Plus mod that aims to make Dres feel loved. :D

At the time of this post, this is what the mod will add:

• Changes to Dres:
    • Dres is now 950 km in radius. (Was previously 138 km)
    • Dres' surface gravity has been increased to 2.1 g. (Was previously 0.115 g)
    • Dres has rings!
    • Dres' inclination and eccentricity have been changed to be more similar to the other planets', making Dres easier to get to.
  • Added Opaki: (Name may change)
    • Ocean moon of Dres.
    • Completely covered with a greenish liquid, except at the poles, where there are two big landmasses.
    • Has a thick greenish atmosphere, but it only extends to 40 km.
    • About half the size of Kerbin. (305 km in radius)
  • Added Ovum: (Name will probably change)
    • Rocky moon of Dres.
    • Orbits Dres in such a way that it appears to spin around Opaki.
    • About 1/3 the size of Opaki. (112 km in radius)
    • Right now it's just a resized Mun.

I plan on adding a third moon that will just be a large asteroid. (Probably around a class V)

Here is a screenshot of the view from the north pole of Opaki. (The atmosphere at this point isn't the right color, and the height map needs to be refined)

KCF1G0k.png

I will release more screenshots as time goes on.

On 5/4/2016 at 7:28 PM, WillThe84th said:
  • Dres is now 950 km in radius. (Was previously 138 km)
  • Dres' surface gravity has been increased to 2.1 g

Dang! That's huge! Maybe you should rename this mod to "Your Mom's Dres"

4 hours ago, Renegrade said:

Quick question: Opaki's (the largest of nuDres's muns) atmosphere - are we talking thick like Kerbin atmosphere, thick like Eve atmosphere, or thick like Venus atmosphere?

It's more in between. the pressure at the surface is 1.3 ATM, but it doesn't extend as far as Kebin's.

So about as hard as a rocket on kerbin? 

Because less gravity and lower atmosphere but thicker atmosphere? 

OOO!!! Dres has rings, and whenever there's rings, you basically have to have a gap in the rings with a small, really low gravity moon, right? Like in the OPM (Outer Planets Mod) with sarnus and hale?

1 hour ago, WillThe84th said:

It's more in between. the pressure at the surface is 1.3 ATM, but it doesn't extend as far as Kebin's.

Ooh - the more I hear, the more I like it.

I'll never like the original Dres, but I'm loving this new and improved Dres.  I'm definitely going to include it in a number of my career playthroughs.

13 hours ago, max_creative said:

So about as hard as a rocket on kerbin? 

Because less gravity and lower atmosphere but thicker atmosphere? 

OOO!!! Dres has rings, and whenever there's rings, you basically have to have a gap in the rings with a small, really low gravity moon, right? Like in the OPM (Outer Planets Mod) with sarnus and hale?

I do have a small asteroid moon created already. I was just gonna put it in the asteroid belt, but I might do this instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've got OPM installed, so I don't want to put my memory usage up even higher...

At the moment I'm not so interested in yet another high gravity airless body... there already Tylo, and OPM adds Slate. From Slate in OPM, I can transfer to Tekto, a moon with a thick green atmosphere and seas... seems reminscent of your Opaki.

This sounds like a nice planet mod, but I don't see why you link it to Dres... Its now nothing like dres ,which was supposed to be an analogue of the real life ceres/large member of the asteroid belt.

Just an idea... but with the planet being so massive (2.1G and 950km radius)... stock Dres should be small enough that perhaps it would be stable as a Trojan of this new planet.

Like when I added another planet (based on mars) with oceans, green shores and O2 in the atmosphere... I didn't replace kerbin or Duna, I put it at L4.... even though it was too big to be stable for more than ~100 million years...

In your case, you can leave dres untouched, and have it be a trojan of your new planet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.