[DEV HALTED][1.3] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.6.2 [2017-5-24]

cxg2827

Just some texturing progress. With all the mirroring and repeating sections for texture optimization, I need to be a bit easy on some of the scuffs and scrapes. I thinks it's at a reasonable balance without being overdone. Still need to do the specular.

Also for a point of comparison, here is the original EVA handrails vs the revamped :

Spoiler

QEGP1H1.png

And I made a thing:

Spoiler

PwSTACL.png

Looking really awesome!  I think the handrails are looking really good too - I was watching Gravity again this evening (been a while), and noticed in the opening scene that the Hubble's handrails appear really muted - so I looked online for some pics and ran across this one:

s125e012033.jpg

It's a huge jpeg, so if you look full size you get a really good idea of what NASA was using prior to ISS.  Almost a brownish yellow.  There's also this great pic of one of the ISS truss segments which shows they maintained it:

STS-116_spacewalk_1.jpg

Really looking forward to the next release, I like the new texturing a lot.

Awesome job of the texturing! Everything is going to fit in just that little bit better with other parts.

Am I right in thinking those are the mounting parts for when the modules are attached to the shuttle bay? Nice! Are they going to serve any purpose, or be purely aesthetic? Also, imo, the yellow on them looks too bright. What about the same colour as your new handrails?

1 hour ago, scorpianz1525 said:

Where do I find this cfg

Go into the CxAerospace folder in the GameData, and find the part in there. It'll probably be a few folders deeper :) 

3 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Am I right in thinking those are the mounting parts for when the modules are attached to the shuttle bay?

Correct. I believe they are usually referred to as the Trunnion Pin with a scuff plate.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/orbiter/cw/plretention.html

Are they going to serve any purpose, or be purely aesthetic?

Just aesthetic. Will be surface attached part and I will also add an attach node on my station modules to help placement since mirroring flips the part on the opposite side.

Also, imo, the yellow on them looks too bright.

placeholder colors since I was UV unwrapping/texturing on the train.

3 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

Correct. I believe they are usually referred to as the Trunnion Pin with a scuff plate.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/orbiter/cw/plretention.html

Just aesthetic. Will be surface attached part and I will also add an attach node on my station modules to help placement since mirroring flips the part on the opposite side.

placeholder colors since I was UV unwrapping/texturing on the train.

Man, good work on all of that! I mean, my station is looking pretty swave as is. But with those texture updates? Aint nobody gonna want to leave that place!

CM

11 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Go into the CxAerospace folder in the GameData, and find the part in there. It'll probably be a few folders deeper :) 

Thanks got it working!

Is there any chance you could perhaps make the APAS docking ports stronger so craft attached to them don't wobble a little like the stock ports? Is this possible?

Thanks! - Awesome mod!

1 hour ago, scorpianz1525 said:

Is there any chance you could perhaps make the APAS docking ports stronger so craft attached to them don't wobble a little like the stock ports? Is this possible?

I'd can look into it. There might be something that can be done with the Node size or the breaking torque parameters to stiffen up the joint. Though I believe one of the causes is the small diameter of the mating surfaces/colliders at the point of contact.

Shout-out to @sumghai for his efforts with docking port guide fin colliders (and for helping troubleshoot a hyperedit-induced phantom force for me as well).

APAS ports now are much easier to dock and align, though you can still get the fins seized up if you dock like a dingus. I might be able to add some small colliders to the ring segment to help make it foolproof. 

Spoiler

ESVa2b4.png

When using the active capture ring, once you turn off SAS and let the movement settle, the hard dock has a high repeatability without any other user input once the ring gets retracted.

With regards to stiffer docking nodes, I think the way to do it is increase the mass of the docking port. I seem to remember seeing that somewhere. The other solution of course, is to use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement @scorpianz1525

1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

With regards to stiffer docking nodes, I think the way to do it is increase the mass of the docking port. I seem to remember seeing that somewhere. The other solution of course, is to use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement @scorpianz1525

Eh, I'd rather not. I find that often influences the COM too much and makes docking ports flip capsules on reentry without using SAS/RCS to stabilize them (and that's not preferred, capsules should self-safe on reentry if properly weighted).

On 15/6/2016 at 6:25 AM, cxg2827 said:

Just some texturing progress. With all the mirroring and repeating sections for texture optimization, I need to be a bit easy on some of the scuffs and scrapes. I thinks it's at a reasonable balance without being overdone. Still need to do the specular.

Also for a point of comparison, here is the original EVA handrails vs the revamped :

Hide contents

QEGP1H1.png

And I made a thing:

Hide contents

PwSTACL.png

ugh those windows. They really do not match with the rest of the model... I think you are going far from porkjet style, maybe you should consider to remove them

1 hour ago, jordanjay29 said:

Eh, I'd rather not. I find that often influences the COM too much and makes docking ports flip capsules on reentry without using SAS/RCS to stabilize them (and that's not preferred, capsules should self-safe on reentry if properly weighted).

That's why I suggest using KJR as well. Makes things like docking behave a bit nicer :P 

5 hours ago, trooperMNG said:

ugh those windows.

not starting off on the right foot.

I think you are going far from porkjet style

Spoiler

MBidc0p.png

On 6/4/2016 at 5:53 PM, cxg2827 said:

Windows are re-colored to be more pork-like.

more pork-like matching pork-like completely. I'm still going with my own personal taste for how I want things textures/pixel density, but I'm incorporating other techniques and color pallets so these parts dont look so jarring with other stock-like mods.

maybe you should consider to remove them

EVA handles arent pork-like either, or the IVAs. what are your thoughts on those? maybe I should consider to remove them :^)

3 hours ago, cxg2827 said:

not starting off on the right foot.

Reveal hidden contents

MBidc0p.png

more pork-like matching pork-like completely. I'm still going with my own personal taste for how I want things textures/pixel density, but I'm incorporating other techniques and color pallets so these parts dont look so jarring with other stock-like mods.

EVA handles arent pork-like either, or the IVAs. what are your thoughts on those? maybe I should consider to remove them :^)

IMO you should remove windows but keep everything else. Just my personal opinion, not a request

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

but I am curious to see how, for example, darkening the raised panels by 1-3% would make them look.

I'll test it out tonight and post up comparison shots.

5 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

IMO you should remove windows but keep everything else. Just my personal opinion, not a request

There are already windowless variants for the KHM's (4-1&2 and 6-1&2). The eX-RS module will stay as-is with the (2) windows. I'll probably have a destiny lab module eventually, so that will only have the (1) smaller window per the RL location.

• 2 weeks later...

Very close to getting the next release buttoned up, but need some opinions on the speculars on these station modules. Right I have made a test for the USA modules and KHMs, and its pretty muted. See the album in full resolution for best clarity. Lots of random shots.

I have the KIBO and Airlock included as a comparison. Those still have the completely uniform, full-bore white specular on them.

How shiny do people want the panels? Want it to jive more with stock, and be more matte, or have the shininess a bit more popping like unpainted stainless steel?

[deleted the album]

Edited by cxg2827
deleted album