[DEV HALTED][1.3] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.6.2 [2017-5-24]

cxg2827

Oh boy! Let's integrate some old, ugly, most likely inefficient models from a different art style and likely a different scale into this mod which does not include them in its scope!

Install Tantares for matching parts for the Russian segment...

• 3 weeks later...

"Common Berthing Mechanisms and APAS are gendered, and have (2) types: Active and Passive. You can only dock with the opposite gender type (active can only dock with passive). Docking a Passive/Passive, or Active/Active will not work."

Why?

The active APAS can also be the passive. Two active node can dock only one needs to extend its ring. 

Is it possible to change that?

The port on PMA is permanently passive, the port on the shuttle can have both roles. 

/seb

I've run into a problem, and I would like to know if others have experienced it.

The solar panels seem to be fine with clipping through each other. However, sometimes, when I switch to a craft that has them equipped, it'll violently jerk, and then both the panels, and all RCS nodes will just break off.

I'm hoping to find a work around, because seeing those panels deploy on my orbital weapons platforms almost brings a tear to my eye, and I don't want to resort to the vanilla ones.

6 hours ago, sebseb7 said:

"Common Berthing Mechanisms and APAS are gendered, and have (2) types: Active and Passive. You can only dock with the opposite gender type (active can only dock with passive). Docking a Passive/Passive, or Active/Active will not work."

Why?

The active APAS can also be the passive. Two active node can dock only one needs to extend its ring. 

Is it possible to change that?

The port on PMA is permanently passive, the port on the shuttle can have both roles. 

/seb

I believe he made them gendered to avoid docking two passive APAS

but you could make a personal MM patch to remove gender from these ports without the need to change the original file every time it is updated

6 hours ago, sebseb7 said:

Why?

8 minutes ago, JoseEduardo said:

I believe he made them gendered to avoid docking two passive APAS

but you could make a personal MM patch to remove gender from these ports without the need to change the original file every time it is updated

That is correct

@sebseb7 best option to remove the feature would be remove gendering via MM patch and set the snap offset to 30 degrees (there is a reason for this but I'm not explaining it).

@IraqiWalker I havent experienced this vessel switch kraken, but I'll look into it on my install. Not sure if there is some other mod installed on your computer that might be causing it.

14 hours ago, cxg2827 said:

@IraqiWalker I havent experienced this vessel switch kraken, but I'll look into it on my install. Not sure if there is some other mod installed on your computer that might be causing it.

I have BDAC (BD Armory Continued) installed. I'm trying to figure out if that's the cause, since I had weapons active when it happened, I'm trying to test it with the regular solar panels right now.

Hopefully it'll turn out to be something silly, because those solar panels are gorgeous to say the least.

EDIT:

Full installed mods list:

BDAC

CxAerospace Stations parts

Future Weapons

Kerbal Engineer

Malfunc Weaponry

NKD

Part Commander

Edited by IraqiWalker

14 hours ago, RentedTritium said:

Gendered ports add a nice bit of difficulty that feels authentic. 

True, but they probably shouldn't be called APAS since APAS means "Androgynous Peripheral Attach System" - i.e. non-gendered. (technically either-gendered) Active/passive APAS is determined by which one extends the ring.  It's a temporary condition depending on whether the ring is extended or not, as opposed to CBM, which is truly a gendered port.

Well, I'm not going to rename the APAS and break crafts due to a naming technicality. All these parts are "heavily-inspired" and not meant to be exact to their real world counterparts. I add features that are currently available in KSP to the extents that are easy to implement.

if you want them to act like the RL ones, just ungender them via MM pach and set snapoffset to 30 degrees. then just give yourself a personal rule not to dock 2 passives ports. The only other way to make it work proper would be to do some guide fin collider trickery, which i have no desire to figure out.

here, have fun:

@PART[CXA_APAS_A|CXA_APAS_A_L04F|CXA_APAS_P|CXA_APAS_P_WB]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
	{
		@gendered = false
		!genderFemale = DELETE
		@snapOffset = 30
	}
}

feel free to test it, I haven't tested it myself because I just made it real quick in this post

3 hours ago, cxg2827 said:

Well, I'm not going to rename the APAS and break crafts due to a naming technicality. All these parts are "heavily-inspired" and not meant to be exact to their real world counterparts. I add features that are currently available in KSP to the extents that are easy to implement.

I'm not asking you to, and I wouldn't expect it.  Personally, I'd rather see APAS behave like APAS - but that's beyond the scope of your mod, and given your prior responses, I expect it's not something you're interested in doing (like if it needed a dll file).  It would be really cool, though, if someone out there created an APAS that could change genders in the right-click menu options. (arguably, that's exactly what a genderless port represents)

Mostly I'm just amused, the same way I would be to see a 6' person named "shorty".  It's just as easy to say that the CxAerospace APAS stands for Adapter Port Attachment System.  I don't care either way - I like the mod as-is, and as you said, I can always write my own MM patch if I want the ports to behave differently.

27 minutes ago, panarchist said:

It would be really cool, though, if someone out there created an APAS that could change genders in the right-click menu options. (arguably, that's exactly what a genderless port represents)

Check out @sumghai's IACBM ports. I remember he had a right click toggle for his andro ports that rotated the guide fins 90 degrees depending how you wanted to dock. His ports were genderless, so it wasnt really changing the gendering through the click menu, but its a similar idea as what you might be looking for (though its more CBM/NDS than APAS)

12 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

Check out @sumghai's IACBM ports. I remember he had a right click toggle for his andro ports that rotated the guide fins 90 degrees depending how you wanted to dock. His ports were genderless, so it wasnt really changing the gendering through the click menu, but its a similar idea as what you might be looking for (though its more CBM/NDS than APAS)

Yup, my IACBMs uses right-click toggles that change the guide fin orientations:

2 hours ago, cxg2827 said:

@damonvv 50/50 hindsight tells me i should have included P5/S5 trusses in my last release. SAWs are a bit limited to use without them.

Yes maybe, I've build every truss with docking ports, so everything is possible now with the Shuttle finally working properly (with cargo). I'm fully behind a P5/S5 truss! :wink:  With that aside, A beautiful looking mod, adds so much to my game :D

Any way you can do something that both solar panels are facing the sun like the real ISS instead of the solar panel rotating sideways?

And I found one bug-ish. Sometimes docking ports having a hard time docking. Takes 5 min to dock fully even when they are fully locked.

Edited by damonvv

32 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Any way you can do something that both solar panels are facing the sun like the real ISS instead of the solar panel rotating sideways?

I think there was already a discussion about that , I'm pretty sure that it would require the whole solar truss segment be one part (S6/P6 , S4/P4) the second option is IR dependency 

35 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Are you refering to dual-axis tracking? I do not think there is an easy way to do it and still have it look correct, since the outer trusses/radiators/SAWS are rotated in unison via the Solar Alpha Rotary Joint at the end of P3/S3

@NeoFatalis beat me to it

39 minutes ago, damonvv said:

And I found one bug-ish. Sometimes docking ports having a hard time docking. Takes 5 min to dock fully even when they are fully locked

Next release will address docking ports and will hopefully make them easier to dock.

Yeah I was thinking about it the moment I posted it. Would have been a nice touch to the station. Thanks for the quick reply, station Is still not finished :wink: #BackToWork

Spoiler

p7031bz.png

Edited by damonvv