[DEV HALTED][1.3] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.6.2 [2017-5-24]

cxg2827

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

How are 1.25m CBM docking ports supposed to be used? Active to the spacecraft, passive to the station?

Yes, although IIRC the CBM was only used to dock station modules together on the USOS.

@notJebKerman

I believe Unity had all (6) active CBMs. Each PMA should have a passive CBM. Don't quote me but I believe the other nodes had active CBMs as well unless specifically required otherwise. Wikipedia should list which station parts have active or passive on which ports. I assume Dragon, etc. have passive CBMs. 

(where PCBM=passive CBM and ACBM=active CBM)

The CBM is used as a berthing mechanism for the unmanned Japanese H-II Transfer Vehicle (HTV), SpaceX Dragon, and Orbital Sciences' Cygnus spacecraft. These spacecraft feature a PCBM, and are berthed to one of the station's open ACBMs using the station's robot arm.[2]

Each CBM compatible module that connects to previously launched modules requires a PCBM to connect to an ACBM.[1] The three ISS connecting nodes feature four radial ACBM ports. Unity features two ACBM on the axial side, while Harmony and Tranquility feature a PCBM on one axial side and an ACBM on the other axial side.[3][4] The Destiny' laboratory and the Japanese Pressurised Module both feature one PCBM and one ACBM.[5][6

This is opposite of the APAS where the craft has the active and the station has the passive.

Edited by Teslamax
inserted Wikipedia information for CBM

15 minutes ago, Teslamax said:

@notJebKerman

I believe Unity had all (6) active CBMs. Each PMA should have a passive CBM. Don't quote me but I believe the other nodes had active CBMs as well unless specifically required otherwise. Wikipedia should list which station parts have active or passive on which ports. I assume Dragon, etc. have passive CBMs. 

(where PCBM=passive CBM and ACBM=active CBM)

This is opposite of the APAS where the craft has the active and the station has the passive.

Whoops! My bad on both counts!

Regarding the APAS/CADS incompatibility... I believe its by design. According to the original intentions of the ETS creators, CADS is supposed to work similar to APAS, but have the internal diameter (read size) of the CBM.

However, that would cause a LOT of trouble redesigning models and in implementation so the APAS and CADS ports look almost identical in shape and size. 

P.S. My OCD has caused me to rant about this issue before, but I love what Cxg and the other ETS modders have done so I won't complain. ;-)

So I have a problem with the docking ports. Recently I've been trying to dock my STS-12 mission to the station using APAS docks. Unsuccessfully. The problem is, that I can't use SAS to point towards the APAS port while I'm in contact with it, but I'm not docked yet and docking ring is still extended. The vessel will just (try to) point somewhere else. Previously I've been able to pull off a docking, so it's not broken, but I was using a 2.5m pod. Is this a feature or a bug (and if it's a feature, can I disable it?). Any advice on docking spaceplanes using APAS?

EDIT: Tried a few more dockings with Dragon V2 inspired pod and it worked well every time. Maybe the problem is in the shuttle...

Edited by notJebKerman

On 3/9/2017 at 3:41 PM, Jasseji said:

Any chance for a "Switchable" CBM? :wink:

@Jasseji

The closest thing is the IACBM part from FusTek's Station Parts mod. The imgur album is here.

Sumghai has picked up as curator in Fusty's absence so see the "[1.0.X - Experimental] [On Hold] FusTek Station Parts (WIPs on GitHub)" thread for more info.

2GRawr7.png

Edited by Teslamax
added image

7 hours ago, Teslamax said:

@Jasseji

The closest thing is the IACBM part from FusTek's Station Parts mod. The imgur album is here.

Sumghai has picked up as curator in Fusty's absence so see the "[1.0.X - Experimental] [On Hold] FusTek Station Parts (WIPs on GitHub)" thread for more info.

2GRawr7.png

yes i know but was wondering if cx would plan something similar so the whole pack matches :wink:

On 3/14/2017 at 3:21 AM, Jasseji said:

yes i know but was wondering if cx would plan something similar so the whole pack matches :wink:

It is unlikely, given everything he has on his roadmap for the mod and how much time he has to work on it. 

It might be possible to modify the IACBM's texture map to accurately reflect the colors in the current CxAerospace palette. In addition a MM config could alter the scale of the part so it fits better. It would look a little kit-bashed but would probably work. I don't know enough about part modding to know for sure.

On 3/9/2017 at 2:34 PM, Teslamax said:

My OCD has caused me to rant about this issue before

your ranting might come to an end in the next release or so :wink:

On 3/9/2017 at 3:41 PM, Jasseji said:

Any chance for a "Switchable" CBM ? :wink:

The guide fins and capture latches make the CBMS fairly unique and not very interchangeable. The fustek IACBMs are your best bet at the moment, though I think @Bonus Eventus might be working on some sweet docking ports in his mod pack that might fit the bill as well.

So just to keep people updated on this mod, I've been bogged down with overtime at work, travel, and home repairs the past several weeks and RL will be busy still for a few more weeks. Development is very slow but but not being dropped. releases will most likely be published in smaller batches so I'm not hoarding finished parts for a long time. I'll re-organize my roadmap sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see some more truss parts coming. But, with Tantares also being revamped there's no rush.

Anyway, for those who aren't sure how to place the docking ports on their ISS replicas, I came across this diagram

X3loB.png

Doesn't matter which is on the station. All that matters is that you use an opposite gendered port to dock the next modules. So your can have all active ports on your core station module and then you'll just have to make sure future modules have at least one passive to attach.

On 3/31/2017 at 9:30 AM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I'd love to see some more truss parts coming.

Yea, I bet something like P5 would be the most useful at the moment with the current truss/solar parts released (WIP model):

sGpIIa9.jpg