[DEV HALTED][1.3] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.6.2 [2017-5-24]

cxg2827

Yes, unfortunately ARR is as restrictive as licenses get. You're not even allowed to redistribute it unchanged. So, sadly, I had to remove the link. If you do get permission to take it over, please make sure you keep a record of your correspondence for future reference. 

46 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Yes, unfortunately ARR is as restrictive as licenses get. You're not even allowed to redistribute it unchanged. So, sadly, I had to remove the link. If you do get permission to take it over, please make sure you keep a record of your correspondence for future reference. 

ok i already ask the Mod developers but he doesn't respond yet so 

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

I wonder if you could argue legally that posting a version in the thread made by the original creator doesn't count as redistributing, where as making a new thread to post the updated version would count as redistributing. Like, if you keep the abstract object that is the mod inside the abstract space created by the author, then licensed object doesn't leave the space owned by the creator of the thread since anyone accessing either version of the mod has to enter the space that belongs to the original author.

Licensing seems like a really complex subject.

6 hours ago, frencrs said:

I wonder if you could argue legally that posting a version in the thread made by the original creator doesn't count as redistributing, where as making a new thread to post the updated version would count as redistributing. Like, if you keep the abstract object that is the mod inside the abstract space created by the author, then licensed object doesn't leave the space owned by the creator of the thread since anyone accessing either version of the mod has to enter the space that belongs to the original author.

It's all about the hosting. If you link to the original download location, that's fine. But if you host the file somewhere else, you are redistributing it, which is against ARR. 

On 11/18/2018 at 3:55 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

What happened to cxg? Did he just stop developing this mod without any warning or explanation?

yes. He stop developing this mod at the end of 2017 so...... i was trying to get in contracts with the Developer so i can continued this mod

Cxg got a new job in spring of 2017. Afaik RealLife has kept him busy since then.

He was last working on a detailed truss mod (based on what became the ISS), and the Challenger core for Eyes Turned Skyward.

Edited by Teslamax

2 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

How do you know this?

I have, in the past, communicated with him over direct/private message. My memory may be a little fuzzy, but that's what I recall.

Edited by Teslamax

Hi All,

Jumping in to clear the air, and to answer some question. Story time at the bottom.

Quote train here we go

On 11/16/2018 at 5:03 PM, Mukita12 said:

This is unofficial Recompile

I'm curious as to how this would have been a re-compile, as there wasn't any code in this mod :huh:

On 11/17/2018 at 7:58 PM, frencrs said:

Licencing can be a bit complicated but ALL rights reserved should strike as "no touchy". If you open the Readme file that comes with the mod it goes into more detail as well.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:55 AM, sslaptnhablhat said:

What happened to cxg? Did he just stop developing this mod without any warning or explanation?

Yea kinda, read below.

11 hours ago, Teslamax said:

Cxg got a new job in spring of 2017. Afaik RealLife has kept him busy since then.

He was last working on a detailed truss mod (based on what became the ISS), and the Challenger core for Eyes Turned Skyward.

I'd argue that I got hit with the SLS curse, but basically your reply sums it up.

15 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

yes. He stop developing this mod at the end of 2017 so...... i was trying to get in contracts with the Developer so i can continued this mod

Out of curiosity how were you going to continue the mod? were you working on some of the new parts that I had listed in the roadmap?

So like Teslamax mentioned I started a new job May 2017, but it was several things that stopped my development including tiredness from raising a kid, tiredness from work, and my other hobbies being neglected. I wasn't really enjoying my free time, and felt like everything was a deadline.

My old job I commuted via train and I had a good 5 hours a week to do UV mapping and texturing on the train. My new job I am now driving, so there goes 5 hours of possible development time a week. However, before the job change happened modding started to feel like a second job, and was consuming a good 30+ hours a week. I haven't truly had a KSP career play-though since sometime in 2015 when I started to get into modding, and mostly just booted up KSP to test parts. I tried to stay motivated by working on some new unreleased mod packs (X-33, Eyes Turned Skyward, SLS) but I just was getting too exhausted from modding, where I was even having trouble with my eyes focusing on the computer monitor in the evenings after my kid was taken to bed.

Whats the future for this mod pack?

One big reason for making this pack All Rights Reserved was I didn't want someone to swoop in to make a "Continued" release, where all they would do is re-host the pack and make it compatible for the current KSP versions. I feel this practice does a dis-service to mod packs and the mod authors, and just makes the pack live on in a zombie-like/bed-ridden state. Having put in easily over 500+ hours into the mod development for CX Aerospace I'd rather watch it fall away and be forgotten or be properly finished and maintained.

I did package and give all my source files (Station Parts, ISS trusses, SLS, Orion, DRA Lander, X-33, Eyes Turned Skyward) to some top-notch modders to possibly be revamped and continued. I won't mention their names since I don't want them to be bothered, but IF and when they release/re-purpose it is up to them under the clause that it will remain ARR.

Now, if someone were to message me or post on this thread some of their own modeling work showing off some modules like Tranquility, Coupla, etc. with the intention of actively developing a station pack, then I would consider turning over the keys to that person.

Probably not the best news, but I figure it's better than silence. There are a lot of great modders still active, so y'all are in good hands with free content. I may eventually come back to KSP modding, but for now I mostly just jump on every once in a while to see what's new with the modding community.

@cxg2827 Best of luck with the job, and I know all too well how all-consuming (in a good way most of the time!) kids are. Try just playing some time. I haven't played due to some computer issues, and after several months mostly away, it's been fun to just mess around.

Your work is astounding, though, so you'd have to expect people hankering for it :D .

18 minutes ago, tater said:

@cxg2827 Best of luck with the job, and I know all too well how all-consuming (in a good way most of the time!) kids are. Try just playing some time. I haven't played due to some computer issues, and after several months mostly away, it's been fun to just mess around.

Your work is astounding, though, so you'd have to expect people hankering for it :D .

Thanks! It was definitely a major career change after being at my previous job for 8 years. better flexibility, shorter commutes, massive pay increase, but it can be a bit draining and stressful at times. Kids are quite a time-investment but it's definitely worth it (but I swear to God, if I hear "no" one more time! :D).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 6:26 AM, cxg2827 said:

Thanks! It was definitely a major career change after being at my previous job for 8 years. better flexibility, shorter commutes, massive pay increase, but it can be a bit draining and stressful at times. Kids are quite a time-investment but it's definitely worth it (but I swear to God, if I hear "no" one more time! :D).

Grats on the kid and the new Job, i went through such a change myself (first kid, then new job including moving countries in Europe) the little Fella is now 2,5 years old and hearing "Nooooooo" drives me crazy as well :D

On 12/11/2018 at 4:06 AM, SimUl8 said:

It also needs the alpha joints between S3 S4 and P3 P4 so the arrays can track the sun throughout the entire orbit

I'm not sure anyone has ever tried to recreate this in KSP, or if it's even possible at all.

Edited by golkaidakhaana

54 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I'm not sure anyone has ever tried to recreate this in KSP, or if it's even possible at all.

The beta joints between the photovoltaic arrays and the truss track the sun beautifully. Similar logic could be used on P4 and S4 to control the alpha joints