Crashes Post 1.1.X Simple Question for the affected ones

AlamoVampire

10 hours ago, qromodynmc said:

I kinda imagine ksp like balloon, it gets bigger when you play, bigger with time, a lot bigger if you play with mods, then it goes boom! start again.

Yeah, this is how it was back in the Unity 4 32 bit days.. only you knew exactly how big the balloon could get. With this, the balloon may pop with stock, 2 mods, or 50 mods..you never know. So it is worse now.

12 minutes ago, Bloodbunny said:

Yeah, this is how it was back in the Unity 4 32 bit days.. only you knew exactly how big the balloon could get. With this, the balloon may pop with stock, 2 mods, or 50 mods..you never know. So it is worse now.

Problem does not appear to correlate with virtual address size, ∴ 32bit address space limitations == unrelated issue. I have seen no evidence of the infamous (heating indicator) 1.0.x memory leak either, or anything remotely resembling a new one.

While I'm sure everybody loves a vague analogy, AFAICT the issue being discussed here has nothing whatsoever to do with memory pressure. Or balloons for that matter.

2 hours ago, Bloodbunny said:

So basically the crashes don't correlate with mod load, ergo: its less likely that they are associated with the cause.

My personal experience - had perhaps 5(ish) crashes in about two week of daily use, apparently random, though I did have two in the editor quite close together.

I have enough mods loaded to put RAM use to approx. 90% (of 8GB).

23 hours ago, qromodynmc said:

I kinda imagine ksp like balloon, it gets bigger when you play, bigger with time, a lot bigger if you play with mods, then it goes boom! start again.

Right. The question tho is what is causing the pinprick to the balloon to make it pop? :D

I have been forced to give up on KSP because of the crashes. I miss the game but the unreliable nature of the game makes it impossible to do anything larger than  lob random stuff for giggles.

until squad or unity correct the issue for me there is no ksp ;.;;.;;.; 

So as a test to see these crashes, now I am back from my holiday I have been running KSP for around 24 hours now, loads of mods, no sign of a crash.

Whatever is causing the crashes seems not inevitable for every user every time they load the game.

EDIT :

23 hours ago, p1t1o said:

So basically the crashes don't correlate with mod load, ergo: its less likely that they are associated with the cause.

My personal experience - had perhaps 5(ish) crashes in about two week of daily use, apparently random, though I did have two in the editor quite close together.

I have enough mods loaded to put RAM use to approx. 90% (of 8GB).

I have had more crashes in the VAB than anywhere else and this has been the case for many iterations of KSP.

I can play any game and have it be stable, I can render hours of video. If I don`t underclock my card I crash in the VAB in less than 2 minutes...

Edited by John FX

I am running modded and unmodded installs and the longest I get KSP to run is a bit over 40 minutes. It's about the same for both, modded and stock.

This happens while doing things. If I leave KSP unattended, it does not crash.

My machine is a Linux 64bit Core2Duo E8400 with 8G RAM.

5 minutes ago, dr.phees said:

This happens while doing things. If I leave KSP unattended, it does not crash.

Whilst this seems generally true, I've definitely left it alone for a while and come back to an error and a CTD. I can't remember if that only happened when i had Alt-tabbed out to the desktop or not, definitely at least once.

25 minutes ago, John FX said:

Whatever is causing the crashes seems not inevitable for every user every time they load the game.

It does seem to be more random now. It is at least, for me anyway, less frequent than earlier iterations.

26 minutes ago, John FX said:

I can play any game and have it be stable, I can render hours of video. If I don`t underclock my card I crash in the VAB in less than 2 minutes...

That does seem rather severe, there could be a problem with you rmod setup. Do you get the same performance in vanilla?

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 11:26 PM, Bill Phil said:

I did a hard reinstall. This time it crashed after I hit apply in the settings...

Try removing all restrictions on the ksp folder, unchecking the "Read Only" box, and temporarily disabling your security software.

On May 19, 2016 at 6:30 PM, AlamoVampire said:

I have been forced to give up on KSP because of the crashes. I miss the game but the unreliable nature of the game makes it impossible to do anything larger than  lob random stuff for giggles.

until squad or unity correct the issue for me there is no ksp ;.;;.;;.; 

Keep in mind that not everyone has the exact same computer. The issue could be local to your computer, as I suspect with mine. 

5 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Keep in mind that not everyone has the exact same computer. The issue could be local to your computer, as I suspect with mine. 

Its not my machine. I ran it through a series of checks as well as the game files by steam. The crashed keep indicating memory issues, which evidence indicates its unity. 

48 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Its not my machine. I ran it through a series of checks as well as the game files by steam. The crashed keep indicating memory issues, which evidence indicates its unity. 

It might point to that, but the issue could still be the machine. It's possible that other background files are using up your memory. 

If it works fine on other machines, as is the case, it's likely the machine, or the programs on the machine could be interfering with each other.

possible new data point. for the record, has any of the affected players tried running the game as administrator? I tried that myself this evening and got 53 minutes and change of play before I decided to wander off to do something else. one trial and one data point a viable test set do not make. we need more input.

On 24/05/2016 at 9:09 AM, AlamoVampire said:

any further data points ladies and gentlemen?

There's virus protection. My PC runs so much better with just MS Defender than it did with Kaspersky or Norton, Norton being the worst. I was having VAB CTDs with Kaspersky that have completely disappeared since getting rid of it. 

Also there's overclocking, CPU, memory, chipset, graphics card...ad infinitum.  

I've not had one CTD and I've used the program very intensely over the last week.  Win 8.1, 6 core i7, 16GB DDR4, 980ti.  While this may have been mentioned before, I didn't see it mentioned here, are those with CTD problems running any programs like Aterburner or video capture programs?  And in fact, in Windows, have your tried using Task Manager to kill off as many unnecessary processes as possible to see if it helps?

With 1.1 I had more crashes than with 1.05. But after updating all my mods whenever possible, the situation is now pretty much like in 1.0.5 for me.
No noticable higher crash count. It's pretty stable now.
But I know that it also crashes frequently for vanilla players. So buggy mods are obviously only one possible reason.

I do have one drive and KSP rarely crashes for me, and on the rare occasions it does, it's in flight. Granted the crashes are as rare as they were in any previous version so as far as crashes are concerned- they're no different than before.

For me CTDs have become very arcane and quantum in nature (as in, I can feel them coming and observation "seems" to affect them).  I can go a long time before I see one.  The one thing I do notice is if I do something during a lag spike (they happen on long intervals) that triggers it generally.  But switching the game to my new rig with clean OS greatly reduced them.  The game is totally playable now and I make sure I keep a "Backup" file in the VAB in case I do get one.

Mine just crashes whenever I close the screen...and that one time I pushed the game too far. May be Onedrive kicking back in though as the settings have it go into sleep when I close the lid.

Edited by Spartwo

New data point on my observation of "run as admin": ran 3.5 hours this time. Built a jool mission. I ended the session after doing 7 flights to build the mission to its current status. Request for more input and data from all please

Edited by AlamoVampire

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.