have your station near the sun ??

hi ,

i have signed a mission to put a station in the orbit of the sun.. ie solar orbit.. i have build up station put everything on board as was asked in the contract(antennae,docking port etc) .. now when my station is in orbit around sun ,, all the parameters required are green except

"have your station near the sun"

although i am in solar orbit just escaped the Kerban .. howc close do i have to get in..? any idea? i have tried reducing the orbit slightly but it dsnt work..

Edited by kool-jeb
edit

"Near" the sun may mean in low solar orbit (i.e. significantly closer than Moho), not high solar orbit (anywhere else).

Can you post a screenshot of the contract in Mission Control? Perhaps it shows relevant details. Just like in real life, you will find that in KSP, it is often critical to read the fine print very, very attentively :P The forum is rife with "I accepted this lucrative contract without reading properly, only to discover it actually asks something near impossible" posts!

Edited by Streetwind

'Near' the sun starts at 1 Gm away, assuming it means low solar orbit, and also assuming that I recall the number correctly.  It's about one quarter of Moho's periapsis.  It's a nice, round number:  just make sure that in map view, your solar periapsis has six digits, not seven.

Usually, these sorts of contracts only require you to be there for ten seconds, and they do not require your orbit to be entirely within that sphere, so you might get away with bringing only 10,000 m/s of delta-v.

Edited by Zhetaan

I hope that contract paid well...

Getting "near" the sun is extremely expensive. Best bet is to get a gravity assist from Jool - get an encounter with Jool and adjust it to make sure that you are ejected out of the Jool system heading retrograde. That, plus about 2-3000m/s dv, should get you down to a "near" sun Pe.

Yeah, just checked the numbers from a savegame.

Leaving from low orbit on Tylo, you can get "near" the sun for under 2000 m/s. So with a Jool gravity assist, you should be able to get to close to the sun for about 4000 m/s dv from LKO (2200 or so to Jool, 1800 or so prograde at Jool Pe to maximise ejection velocity).

Edited by Plusck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.