Anyone still in 1.0.5

The Space Dino

Still in 1-0-5 got loads going on and don't want to abandon the present game

But I also thought the new one was invitation only (beta) .... I didn't know it was available to the masses

Can you use the old game save files in the new one ?

11 minutes ago, hurric said:

Still in 1-0-5 got loads going on and don't want to abandon the present game

But I also thought the new one was invitation only (beta) .... I didn't know it was available to the masses

Can you use the old game save files in the new one ?

Yes, but there are massive issues.  Landing gear doesn't drive straight, landing legs and gear explode when a Kerbal bumps them in space, Landing legs slide down mountains, and craft orbit decays (and not in a slow, normal way like real life but rather rapidly).  So I wouldn't recommend updating at this time, as it will likely trash your game.  1.1 is barely playable at this point, I mean you can play it, but a serious career is not really a good idea atm.

On 5/4/2016 at 5:17 AM, The Space Dino said:

does anyone here in the forums still play KSP v1.0.5?

I do.

(Mods haven't updated and other things, such as 1.1 causes a major FPS loss.)

(And I'm talking about the full release of 1.1)

Edited by electricpants

I'm on 1.05.  I was lucky enough to still have it on a backup.  The 1.1.x situation really has me quite concerned.  At this point, I don't feel like I have a reason to believe that Squad actually intends to fix it.  When they released 1.1 initially, they described the release as having "gone smoothly", much to the astonishment of many of us.  Saying that is one thing, however.  I can certainly understand why they would want us to believe it went smoothly.  The problem - and this is what suggests to me that there is a major management/cultural crisis going on inside Squad right now - is that they all proceeded to go on vacation at the exact moment of the what is probably the worst technical crisis in the history of the game.  And it wasn't a short vacation, either.  We're talking 3+ weeks!

I'm not saying the devs don't need a break.  They clearly do.  I don't begrudge someone time off that they've earned and need.  But the decision, at the top, to basically close up the entire shop and have *everyone* go on vacation simultaneously is a baffling and troubling decision.  It suggests that Squad itself is drinking its own marketing kool aid.  It's one thing to *say* a release went smoothly.  Squad, however, seems to have gone one step further.  The mass 3 week vacation seems to suggest that they *really believe* it was a smooth release.  If that is really the case, then they have a big business problem on their hands, and it's a problem big enough to have a permanent effect on the company and the product.  To completely abandon reality like that, at the worst possible moment, absolutely staggers the mind.  There are indie houses that would kill for the opportunity to make a mistake this absolutely colossal.

This is all speculation, of course.  They may understand the gravity of the problem.  If so, however, they certainly haven't communicated that fact to us.

@mciann they KNOW of the issue. @Claw has a thread that has or rather IS compiling information and has multiple threads linked to it, one of which is my thread on the crashing. My personal thread on this issue has the hypothesis that it is not Squad's fault, but rather an issue in Unity itself with regards to Mono and how memory is handled. I encourage you to go read through my thread, if  you know a thing or two about coding, it will be enlightening to say the least. 

With that being said, IF it is a Unity issue, what ever patch they have in the works right now for Unity, 5.3 or 5.4 <not sure which it is, I do not follow Unity as I do not code> that may deal with it. In the mean time, from what I have gathered via converse with @Claw Squad is looking into this, what they can do or not do has not been made publicly clear. Is it disturbing that such a HUGE error slipped through? Yes and no. Given how random all of this is, how some <most I think> are affected while others like Das Valdez seem completely untouched by this issue. Crashes as a result of this particular issue <the memory handling and mono and all that as listed in the linked thread> tend to not leave crash logs in the game, have almost no common predictors or causes to trigger it. I have had it hit me 5 minutes after double clicking the icon to start the game, and up to 2 HOURS after double clicking. I have had it on the Space Center Screen, VAB, SPH, Pad, Ascent, orbit, transfers to various SOIs, descent, under chute, everywhere. Its totally random. The bottom line is this, Squad busted every hump from here to alpha centauri and back to get 1.1.0 out and yes, the patches that followed were rushed, but, they tried to deal with what they could. They needed to recharge their batteries and get a change of scenery so that now, they can look at this fresh and see what if anything THEY can do until Unity does something too.

OH and @mciann it was publicly communicated by @Claw take a gander: 

edit: all of the above aside, I wish I was back in 1.0.5, but alas, I do not have a backup copy and the mods I ran for that variant are no longer available in that format, so, I must wait. ;.; 

Edited by AlamoVampire

8 hours ago, Alshain said:

Yes, but there are massive issues.  Landing gear doesn't drive straight, landing legs and gear explode when a Kerbal bumps them in space, Landing legs slide down mountains, and craft orbit decays (and not in a slow, normal way like real life but rather rapidly).  So I wouldn't recommend updating at this time, as it will likely trash your game.  1.1 is barely playable at this point, I mean you can play it, but a serious career is not really a good idea atm.

I just feel I should provide a counterpoint to this... I don't have most of the issues that Alshain has, so I'm tempted to call him a whiner, but I know everyone's system is different.

I've found the landing legs to have too little friction, and things like to slide if the slope is too much... it annoying, but not such a big deal (unless you like contructing fixed surface bases).

The LT-1 landing struts (the largest), are a little fragile for my tastes... but I only had issues with needing to set stuff down extra soft on Eve, with a "massive" (not so massive, but 3 kerbal eve landers are never that very light) eve lander... I don't see them ever going into that broken-but-reparable state anymore... they just overstress and explode if I land too hard. I don't see them explode from bumping them on eva in space... and running a kerbal into landing legs always caused bad things, even before 1.1.

For spaceplanes... I tend to use 1 size bigger than I normally would... landing gear drives straight enough normally... sometimes its better to set the friction value manually in the VAB rather than leave it on Auto. I disable the steering function for takeoff/landing, and only use it when taxing.

Rovers: I generally get better results tweaking the friction and traction control values in the VAB.. I only really had a problem on Eve due to its high gravity.. tweaking the friction values higher, rather than leaving it on Auto, worked fine.

The orbit decay bug sounds serious, but I haven't had it.

Generally, I think another round of part balancing is needed, mainly increasing the maximum allowable "Stress" on wheels and landing legs (as I said, I generally went one size up for the wheels in the meantime, but there's nothing bigger than the LT-1 strut_

given all the other improvements, the relatively small adjustment I needed to make to the wheels has been worth it to me.

Yes, but lack of playing due to computer problems and businesses is a factor. 

I'm hearing here, and on tumblr that there are still issues? That's a pity. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2016 at 4:57 AM, KerikBalm said:

Generally, I think another round of part balancing is needed, mainly increasing the maximum allowable "Stress" on wheels and landing legs

They're not weak, they're bugged.

Sometimes when I launch, I can right-click on a wheel and see that it has a huge amount of stress on it for no reason.  When this happens, it acts like it's stuck in the earth, I can even see it jittering when it moves in that disquieting manner which happens when parts are so overstressed they lag relative to the ship.

I can usually fix this by deleting the landing gear and re-adding it.

I haven't had the orbit bug.

Edited by Corona688

On 5/4/2016 at 3:47 PM, The Space Dino said:

I am curious to ask , does anyone here in the forums still play KSP v1.0.5?

(Because I play KSP v1.0.5)

Dude i still play KSP 1.0.5 I even make WW2 planes and stuff See:

vuoiA51.png

The Bf109 E4 i made

The SpitFire i made

Aq25xkX.png

Just now, Kerbal Nerd123 said:

Dude i still play KSP 1.0.5 I even make WW2 planes and stuff See:

vuoiA51.png

The Bf109 E4 i made

The SpitFire i made

Aq25xkX.png

The Lancaster Bomber I made

VTOPaKL.png

And the Boeing B29 Superbomber I made

KSP B29 Superbomber

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.