Appeal to all mod user: Use only compatible mods and do clean installs

Nils277

Hi,

the last few weeks have been a rough time for all modders. There were, or still are a lot of things to update and fix for the big 1.1 update of KSP (and the subsequent patches).
Naturally, also the number of bug reports for the mods increased. This is totally okay, there are always new bugs introduces by such a big update.

But lately, an increasing number of reported bugs are only caused by the fact, that there are still mods installed, that do not support 1.1. or are not cleanly installed/updated (as in remove the whole mod folder before installing the new one).
These bug reports cause a huge overhead for us and are frustrating because they are completely avoidable. We invest valuable time to find out what is wrong with our mods, only to find out that the mod user didn't even invest any time to make sure the mods are properly installed (at least it feels like this). 

So before you report a bug, please

1. Make sure that ALL the mods you use are compatible with the version of KSP you use.
  2. Remove the old folder(s) of a mod before you install a new version.
  3. If you use CKAN, install the mod manually into a clean (CKAN free) version of KSP to verify that the bug is caused by the mod and not CKAN. 

This will save a lot of time for both ends. We modders do not have to crawl through many log files and the user can use the mods without problems (and do not have to wait for the modder to tell them what is wrong)

Edited by Nils277

I have a separate, clean, stock install just for this reason. I can grab a mod I want to test (and any needed dependencies), quickly drop them into the install, and test... When I'm done, I remove everything, back to a stock install... Since its just for testing, I will also delete the saves folder, and sometimes the Ships folder....

36 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I have a separate, clean, stock install just for this reason. I can grab a mod I want to test (and any needed dependencies), quickly drop them into the install, and test... When I'm done, I remove everything, back to a stock install... Since its just for testing, I will also delete the saves folder, and sometimes the Ships folder....

That's what i would call best practice :)

Oh!... One thing you might want to add to the OP @Nils277 , is for people who use CKAN to maybe install mods MANUALLY, just for debugging purposes... That way it will remove any confusion/inconsistancies that CKAN itself may be introducing into issues with a mod... ???

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Oh!... One thing you might want to add to the OP @Nils277 , is for people who use CKAN to maybe install mods MANUALLY, just for debugging purposes... That way it will remove any confusion/inconsistancies that CKAN itself may be introducing into issues with a mod... ???

Will do that when i get to a decent Keyboard ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.