1. 1. Where should I go next?

• Moho
    • Dres
    • Jool, and any moon I can get to
    • Eeloo
    • Go to the Mun you overacheiver!
    • Go to Minmus you overacheiver!

Shoutout to @VITAS for getting me a free copy :D

Turns out my laptop can just run KSP, so I can't get mods.

Turns out 1.1.2 is very nice mod wise :)

Eve or bust, this mission took me 1.9 hours, and I've only had the game for 3!

Dang, they came out small.

And why are there 2? Anyone know how to properly view steam screenshots?

Oh, by the way, I barely  got into orbit around Eve, I had like 30 units of fuel left, and I used it all, including the monoprop, to get to a lower orbit.

But I did it!

Successful missions so far:

Moho, Flyby, manned orbiter

Eve, Orbiter,  lander, ocean lander, and manned landing

Gilly, Orbiter

Mun, Manned landing/return, 2 Scansat, crewed base

Minmus, Manned landing/return, Sacansat, crewed base

Duna, Orbiter, lander, rover, science rover, and crewed base

Ike, 2 flybys, landing

Dres, Flyby, impacter, Orbiter

Jool, Orbiter, impacter

Tylo, Flyby, Orbiter

Laythe, 2 flybys, orbiter, and lander

Vall, 4 flybys, 1 manned lander

Pol, I saw it, independent mission coming soon

Bop, Flyby

Eeloo, flyby If you squint hard at an angle, you can see the text :)

Edited by Spaceception

Awesome! Also the LV-N doesn't use oxidizer. I think you were using that, so if you took the pxidizer out (or used plane tanks, better idea), you would have done it better and probably gotten back. Also use F1 to take better screenshots, Steam's are lower resolution I think.

Edited by legoclone09

Just now, legoclone09 said:

Awesome! Also the LV-N doesn't use oxidizer. I think you were using that, so if you took the pxidizer out (or used plane tanks, better idea), you would have done it better and probably gotten back.

Yeah, I realized that in the middle of my Eve capture :D

@Spaceception Any orbit you can survive in is a good one. But at least you didn't have a bunch of science at stake! My first Eve mission, Aphrodite 1 (in version 0.90), was sent to do some gravitational scanning from an orbit tilted at about 70-85 degrees above the planet's equator. It also had a decent probe, like Huygens. But the Aphrodite 1 decent probe had a glitch and couldn't do any science, so it crashed into Eve. Then I realized - Aphrodite 1 has NO SCIENCE INSTRUMENTS ON IT!!! #EpicFlop :confused::sticktongue::mad::huh:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Now let's see if you'll be able to send a rescue mission in 1.9 hours :P (or do like most people and forget about the Kerbals stranded at Eve or Moho)

It's unmanned.

'Cause I'm smart and I know my Kerbal's won't survive.

Is it Sandbox Mode?

4 hours ago, Andem said:

Huh? You got to Eve in an hour? It took me two months to get to Duna!!!

I learned how to dock just last week. And I've had the game for about a year now...

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Cool. Next step is to land on Eve and return. :wink:

Had you landed on the Mün in the demo? Or was this Minmus mission your first landing?

I'll be doing that soon, except for the landing part.

Yes, many, many times, Minmus also, but this was my first manned mission, and return from Minmus, I did a manned Mun mission in the Demo, but I couldn't return..

In other news, I landed on Duna!!!

EDIT: For Eve, I meant returning, I'll be landing, or at least, I hope so.

Edited by Spaceception

Right now I'm in the middle of an Eve landing attempt, and I'm trying to get a decent encounter. :)

Today or tomorrow, (Probably today) I'm going to try to do a Dres orbiter :)

And I'm going to do a manned Mun mission today or tomorrow, depends on how fast I can get to Dres.

Just so you know, for most planets and moons it's possible to make an SSTO lander, which you can potentially reuse the next time you go to that planet by leaving it in orbit and docking to it with a tank the next time you visit in order to refuel it. In some cases (Duna, for example) it's surprisingly easy to actually make a vehicle which doesn't need to stage to get to orbit. My current Duna Exploration Vehicle uses only a little more than a Rockomax X200-16 tank in order to land 3 kerbals and a service bay full of equipment anywhere on Duna, and can easily return to orbit with enough remaining fuel for docking manoeuvres. It makes missions cheaper and easier to complete by sending an SSTO lander that can be refuelled for the next mission, because whilst you still need to transport the new fuel, you don't have to send new command module, docking port, rcs ports, engines, science equipment, or anything else which is on your lander. It's probably worth looking into constructing SSTO landers for the sake of efficiency and cost saving.

The exception to this rule is Eve. Whilst it's not technically impossible to build a vehicle that can get into orbit from anywhere on Eve's surface without staging, the difficulties posed by that are far too great. You would want a rocket that's incredibly tall and thin to minimize drag as much as possible, but you'd also want a wide enough base that you can land safely almost anywhere without tipping over. That's fine for most places, but the scale of the rocket that would be necessary to SSTO from Eve is really too much for it to be worth it. And a refuelling mission for it alone would probably cost significantly more than sending a new ascent vehicle. In any case though, good luck with your Eve return.

6 hours ago, Andem said:

Yaay for Dres!

Well, i meant to go to Dres, I really want to go to Dres, but... When I was playing around with the maneuver node, I got A JOOL ENCOUNTER And I thought, why not, my rocket has plenty of fuel.

So I went to Jool.

I also got into orbit, and got a Tylo/Laythe flyby, so it was all good :)

Edited by Spaceception

8 minutes ago, Andem said:

I haven't even been to Jool... or Eve... You, sir, are magical.

Jool is easy. Like, super easy. use ksp.olex.biz to find the launch window and a 2200 m/s transfer stage and bam Jool mission.

4 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Jool is easy. Like, super easy. use ksp.olex.biz to find the launch window and a 2200 m/s transfer stage and bam Jool mission.

What about slowing down on the other end, and getting to Moons?

13 minutes ago, Andem said:

I haven't even been to Jool... or Eve... You, sir, are magical.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.