1.1 is seriously bugged, but comes it as a surprise...

Temeter

6 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

I'd be pretty liquided too if I were fired the minute I became replaceable all while being paid 2400 bucks a year (!!!!!!)

Won't be buying anything from Squad again unless new/corrective information comes to light.

That number is either missing a ton of context or is a flat out lie.  If they were really being paid that much, they would be homeless with no way to commute and barely/not at all being able to feed themselves.

EDIT: Also the guy decided to keep working for that pathetic sum.  Part of the blame lands on them for that.

Edited by Tankman101

6 minutes ago, Tankman101 said:

That number is either missing a ton of context or is a flat out lie.  If they were really being paid that much, they would be homeless with no way to commute and barely-not at all being able to feed themselves.

Lol.  Look at the job market these days.  There are plenty of people who are "under-employed" and living off of savings and/or supportive families.  I find it in no way shocking to hear that a company hired someone at a flat rate for an allegedly part-time job and then demanded dramatically more work/time  (and not technically a hire as it's probably a contract).  Furthermore,  it isn't unusual for someone hang on to an inefficient gig either to not "be fired" or out of some sort of loyalty.  A great many people are brought up on the idea that one should work hard no matter what.  At least he was paid something.  Entire industries (film/TV) are build on the back of legions of unpaid interns.

Edited by Sandworm

4 minutes ago, Tankman101 said:

That number is either missing a ton of context or is a flat out lie.  If they were really being paid that much, they would be homeless with no way to commute and barely/not at all being able to feed themselves.

EDIT: Also the guy decided to keep working for that pathetic sum.  Part of the blame lands on them for that.

The reddit thread on this topic has multiple reliable sources confirming the veracity of this wage.

Oh look, internet drama spawned from childish expectations being shattered by reality.

Fresh and new.

Squad did a great job developing KSP overall. No company will leave all their former employees with warm fuzzies.

Edited by Randazzo

11 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

I'd be pretty liquided too if I were fired the minute I became replaceable all while being paid 2400 bucks a year (!!!!!!)

Won't be buying anything from Squad again unless new/corrective information comes to light.

Well, if you are going to get ANY info, its going to be from this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/4hw5x7/in_regards_to_pdtvs_post_damion_rayne_former_ksp/d2t7hdm

Where r4m0n is gathering comments from anonymous former and current employees. There has been some backup about the original claims, and also word from one current employee that things have already been improving..

Honestly, that is about as much as you can hope to hear, I reckon.

2 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

Oh look, internet drama spawned from childish expectations being shattered by reality.

Fresh and new.

Squad did a great job developing KSP overall. No company will leave all their former employees with warm fuzzies.

Exactly. I'm not going to get all bunged up and indignant over events that I have no first hand knowledge of nor know any one personally who did.

I'm crossing all of this out because I'm done with being part of what is likely false.

Spoiler

I'd just like to weigh in on this:

While I think that this information is coming to light way too fast for comprehension, I am personally very concerned with it.  This is my message to Squad.

I love KSP.  I personally think that Squad has been one of the best companies out there in terms of being part of the community.  This still does not change what's come up.  Squad, you know that you have been very secretive with just about anything dealing with this.  You have no requirement to release the information on the sales of KSP, but there is absolutely no doubt that Goya and Ayarza haven't had any worries about money for the past several years.  I understand that it appears that things are getting better, but you need to accept that you are no longer that little building down the street.  You are now a relatively popular gaming company, which appears to have been growing too fast for its own good.  People are going to expect you to be better than this.  At this point, I am hoping to have an official response to this new information, and a clarification about what is truly going on.  I think it will help both sides greatly.

@HarvesteR, I'm sorry your childhood dream has had to go through this, and I hope it is settled soon.

All other devs:  I thank you for your work.

Edited by Guest

Not speaking as a moderator, and I am not a Squad employee: 

There are two issues which are getting mixed here.

1) Some people are very angry about game development decisions Squad has made.

2) A former employee is saying he was treated badly. 

Even if you believe everything he says about #2, it really has nothing to do with #1. If the Squad-bashers are going to try to use this as evidence to support their complaints, that is just plain lousy logic and argumentation. 

(Others have said similar things earlier in this thread, but I think it bears repeating.) 

1 minute ago, Yellowburn10 said:

If squad were going to make an official statement on this, it may take a little bit of time, saying that most of the team is on vacation at the moment.

Yes, most of the team is, but how about management?  They're the ones I'd expect to hear from.

28 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Those of you who've said you've gotten more than your money's worth, should we think about Patreon-ing the devs?

Never.  Not once.  Patreon isn't meant to support people in established situations.  Perhaps the devs are underpaid.  OK, but that isn't because Squad lacks the funds.  So while I want them to earn more, I don't want to subsidize that management decision not to pay an employee.  Patreon is meant for people who are not already working for large corporations, people whose underpayment isn't anyone's choice.

I like KSP, but I also liked TheAvengers.  I don't send money the people who acted as extras in that movie.  To do so would only be to support the system of underpayment with which I strongly disagree.

Edited by Sandworm

3 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Not speaking as a moderator, and I am not a Squad employee: 

There are two issues which are getting mixed here.

Even if you believe everything he says about #2, it really has nothing to do with #1. If the Squad-bashers are going to try to use this as evidence to support their complaints, that is just plain lousy logic and argumentation. 

(Others have said similar things earlier in this thread, but I think it bears repeating.) 

Well not really, although I do agree this thread should be about 2 and not 1. These aren't mutually exclusive as 2 informs 1. It potentially sheds light on a variety of head-scratching decisions including the most recent release which appears to have been rushed.

4 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Yes, most of the team is, but how about management?  They're the ones I'd expect to hear from.

Why would you expect that? What on earth would they have to gain from getting into an internet liquiding match with a disgruntled former employee? What could Harvester possibly say to convince someone who believes he's the devil?

7 minutes ago, DChurchill said:

Why would you expect that? What on earth would they have to gain from getting into an internet liquiding match with a disgruntled former employee? What could Harvester possibly say to convince someone who believes he's the devil?

Not the point.  I personally think that Squad should make an official comment to clear up any inaccuracies in what we have been told.  Now let's not get into the extremes on this.  I don't think anyone here thinks HarvesteR is the devil, and most think of him as quite the opposite.  I don't know how you came up with him being completely in charge of Squad.  He may manage most of KSP, but not Squad.

EDIT:  I'm done with this thread.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, DChurchill said:

No-one thusfar in this thread has called Harv or anyone the devil or any other incivility.

14 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

No-one thusfar in this thread has called Harv or anyone the devil or any other incivility.

I was being hyperbolic. Not suggesting anyone actually thinks that.

9 minutes ago, DChurchill said:

I was being hyperbolic. Not suggesting anyone actually thinks that.

Going back to your post though, I do think it'd be in their best interest to say something. I am stating this totally dispassionately, but I really will never spend a single cent on Squad stuff going forward based on this info. I'm likely not the only one.

9 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

Going back to your post though, I do think it'd be in their best interest to say something. I am stating this totally dispassionately, but I really will never spend a single cent on Squad stuff going forward based on this info. I'm likely not the only one.

I'd be very surprised if they did. What else has Squad published besides KSP?

6 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

Again, please follow the previous link I posted in response to you. There you will find more anonymous "comments" from employees or former employees. If you expect more than this, you do not have realistic expectations in this situation. A company commenting on the wages and contracts of their employees publicly with their community is NEVER EVER going to happen.

Btw, to clarification

7 hours ago, Tankman101 said:

Ah yes, this whole witch hunt.

This isn't supposed to be a hatepost. And frankly, I could blame you much more, since you're trying to discredit a bunch of statements that are indeed someones opinion, no matter what his status is, and they were supported by others.

7 hours ago, Jarin said:

Just because it's "ordinary" for people to dodge labor laws by employing in places that don't have them doesn't mean it's something we should encourage or excuse.

Bingo. I'm not expecting to create a huge change or anything, but i think it's certainly worth at least to point out that - if nobody else - at least I don't like that business behaviour. I'd rather wait a bit longer. And tbh, some of the release issues did feel like the developers were indeed overworked. Many devs actually consider crunch time not only to being damaging on a personal level, but creating more issues than you are fixing, finally taking longer to develope than you'd need to with standard working times.

Which would explain Ubisoft, Activision and EA games, especially PC versions. :^)

7 hours ago, DChurchill said:

Before this gets locked, I remember when this went down. It was a big kerfuffle then, but that was what? 2 Years ago? And he's dredging it up now because "the NDA expired"? Someone has a Joolian sized chip on thier shoulder.

Btw, I actually first wrote something along of the lines of 'lets wait how long it takes for this to get locked or shoved into some sub forum it doesn't belong into'. Just a bit of a prococation, but then I thought, lets just see how this plays out.

I actually can respect it a lot that - if - this thread stays up and here. That's the thing, I don't want to make this a whitch hunt or anything, I don't hate Squad. Just thought there should be a thread about it in a more readable and personal forum than reddit.

5 hours ago, Alshain said:

Sounds like a typical disgruntled former employee.  Happens to every company.

Come on, you're better than that. Being disgruntled doesn't make him wrong, and he had like 3 years under NDA to cool off.

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

And this here even more: This is obviously over 2, I don't think anyone here even talked about point 1? Game-design doesn't belong in this thread.

Frankly, I wouldn't have made this thread in the first place, if other people didn't confirm things about it.

5 hours ago, Randazzo said:

Well, your abrasive, defensive answer makes it look like you can't - or don't want to - deal with reality.

It's pretty common knowledge that working in the games industry isn't the most comfortable place to work in. But, especially concepts like the crunch phase are controversial, having been critizised up to the point that it actually might be counterproductive to the workflow to overwork your developers (duh).

And I'm not expecting to change really anything here, but I still gonna at least point it - and my dislike for it - out. That's a lot better in my book than just attacking people who actually express some criticism of it.

-snip-

Edited by KasperVld
removed content that doesn't fit with the community rules.