1.1 is seriously bugged, but comes it as a surprise...

Temeter

I, along with many, many others have been burned by Early Access games where the devs essentially took the $$$ and ran. For me, it was that $#&*@@%#% Dean Hall and DayZ.

Really hope it doesn't happen with this (at least from my POV so far) excellent sim. Or Star Citizen, for that matter. I'm a big WC/Privateer fan, and they've only raised, what, over $110 mill US so far?

I just know I'll never put any more of my hard-earned green into any Early Access software.

10 minutes ago, Blunderbuss said:

I, along with many, many others have been burned by Early Access games where the devs essentially took the $$$ and ran. For me, it was that $#&*@@%#% Dean Hall and DayZ.

Really hope it doesn't happen with this (at least from my POV so far) excellent sim. Or Star Citizen, for that matter. I'm a big WC/Privateer fan, and they've only raised, what, over $110 mill US so far?

I just know I'll never put any more of my hard-earned green into any Early Access software.

I understand what you mean by DayZ screwing you, it screwed everyone who bought it. KSP on the otherhand is no longer in early access, and the devs can run away if they want to, it doesn't matter 'cause v1.0 was released last year and that took the game out of early access. If you're comparing KSP to DayZ then I say this was a massive success for early access!

1 minute ago, spritefun said:

I understand what you mean by DayZ screwing you, it screwed everyone who bought it. KSP on the otherhand is no longer in early access, and the devs can run away if they want to, it doesn't matter 'cause v1.0 was released last year and that took the game out of early access. If you're comparing KSP to DayZ then I say this was a massive success for early access!

I'd hardly call a game that "released" after a single buggy beta release, with a bunch of bugs dating back years, and placeholder art still in place a "Massive Success" for Early Access, and more of a cautionary tale - if *this* is what Early Access success looks like, and people are so happy with a release in that state, that's very concerning.

1 minute ago, metalmouth7 said:

I'd hardly call a game that "released" after a single buggy beta release, with a bunch of bugs dating back years, and placeholder art still in place a "Massive Success" for Early Access, and more of a cautionary tale - if *this* is what Early Access success looks like, and people are so happy with a release in that state, that's very concerning.

Yeah I know what you're saying, but if you reread what I said, this can be considered a massive success when comparing it to DayZ. :)

23 minutes ago, spritefun said:

Yeah I know what you're saying, but if you reread what I said, this can be considered a massive success when comparing it to DayZ. :)

I totally get you. I just think that calling it a massive success is entirely inappropriate. That's akin to saying an Uwe Boll film is a massive success for cinema in contrast to Kubrick's Napoleon film, simply because the Uwe Boll's movies were released.

1 hour ago, Carraux said:

And that saddens me. The game showed really high potential. But they were never able to make this dream come true. It's still half finished beginner's work. I wish, I could see a KSP version made by a professional team.

Well. That decision wasnt an accident. If you get that far that you are handling 8-Digit US$-Amounts you DONT accidentally or just quite forget to stock up your Coders Team. You absolutely DECIDE to keep going on that way, because it is the decision you think that gives the Optimal Investment Return Ratio. Thats Business. This is what we deserved because we were so busy in fanboying and hyping around i bet some of those who purchased the game would have been quite satisfied if the only thing KSP were capable is showing a picture of a exploded rocked and then blinking 'success'

Nihil sine causa fit (Cicero)

My experience with Squad:

They made a fantastic game. I have never spent as many hours playing one video game. I've restarted career over and over, trying out different mod combos, and its never boring. Occasionally, you get burnt out and take a break, but come crawling back. I've made one payment for this game, I don't remember what I paid, but it was I remember I thought it was a good deal. Since then, they've been making continuous updates. They even upgraded the entire game engine, 1.1 being a huge step forward. More upgrades planned, even VR support possibly. Never once has squad asked me to spend any more money on their game with dlc and what not. Its a game that keeps on giving, really. They give frequent updates on their progress with devnotes. They respond to user posts, suggestions, etc. Is the game buggy? Yes....so is just about every game out there. I've had frustrations with GTAV and Project Cars to name just a couple. I know Rockstar is known for never commenting on and not really bothering to fix some bugs, GTA Online is a hive of hackers and cheaters. Project Cars is a mess, and my experience with their studio is they're a bunch of jerks. I can't get through one season of their abysmal career mode without running into race ruining bugs, and they've never been fixed. They also failed to deliver on many promises, and have now pretty much suspended support while they work on a sequel, only releasing token dlc and minor patches. Squad is head and shoulders over those studios as far as my experience has shown me.

If employees have issues with their employer, that is between them and whatever labor laws there are. Going to the public to complain about your employer is pretty petty and childish and doesn't serve a purpose. Does he want to tarnish their reputation? Does he want fans of squad to not like them anymore? Does he expect them to change their practices because he ratted on them on reddit? Does he want his low paying job back? I don't get it. I think its for attention and spite, but that's just me. I'm not a dev, I'm not a coder, I've never worked in video games, so I don't know anything other than what I hear. What I hear is that working in the video game industry sucks in general, working Mexico sucks in general, so it doesn't come as a big surprise to me that working as a video game developer in Mexico probably sucks a lot. Maybe don't take those kinda jobs then...if studios can't find people willing to work long hours for low pay, they will have to raise wages to hire people, right?

One reddit quote that I find very interesting:

I'm just confused about what to do about all this. Do I join the outcry? Do I ignore it? Do I uninstall the game and tell people not to buy it? Do I go on playing like nothing happened? At this point I don't know what to do. What exactly am I supposed to do in this situation?

Sorry about the vague name but, what is going on here?

Someone with a grudge, or is this just bogus?  I'm sorry but this seems a little too unbelievable to me.

Edited by Skybird0
Fixed self referencing hyperlink

20 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Stargate525, you left out what I was replying to. Note the emphasis. 

As for your points, though, Skyrim is largely based on Morrowind/Oblivion, so you'd have to include part of their development in Skyrim's completion time, and Bethesda is notorious for releasing buggy games anyway. They also have 75 employees with which to complete their games faster. 

Minecraft's physics are an order of magnitude simpler than KSP's, so I'm not sure that's even comparable. And it has bugs. 

Not sure why you're bringing Spore up since it's widely considered one of the worst failures to deliver on promise in the history of gaming. And it had bugs. 

Universe Sandbox has almost zero graphics, so again, isn't comparable. And it has a couple of bugs. (And an abysmal interface.) 

Haven't played the others you mention. 

Still has nothing to do with whether or not Squad is nice to its employees, though. 

-Skyrim runs off a completely different engine, and literally the only thing that comes across from Oblivion and Morrowind are the text in some in-game books. Point on the bugs, but at least the game works on the platforms it advertises for.

-Some bugs. Which are usually addressed. Major bugs are fixed within weeks at most. And I didn't realize that the entire physics engine was built by Squad. I was under the impression most of it came with Unity.

-Spore had no MAJOR bugs. And regardless of the success of the game, it was still released and playable with all major parts intact within 4 years of its complete overhaul.

-What amazing graphics does KSP have? And KSP's interface still isn't much to write home about. The graphic designer in me screams in agony at the font choice for the interfaces and how it looks.

You're the one who couldn't believe that a AAA developer couldn't manage to make a game like this better than Squad. I provided a number of examples from multiple genres, studios, developers, and budget that indicates that not only could they do so, even other INDIES do better than Squad has at meaningful progress and development rate.

Edited by Stargate525

57 minutes ago, Skybird0 said:

Sorry about the vague name but, what is going on here?

Recursive linking?  How far down the Chrome tab rabbit hole do I want to go?  Is this a test of my computer's memory management for benchmarking KSP?

Edited by regex

4 minutes ago, Skybird0 said:

Fyi, this is an article about squad devs.

Oh, we've been over that in another thread which has a similarly cryptic title.

Just now, Vanamonde said:

To confuse you still further, @Skybird0, your thread has been merged into the existing thread on this subject. :)

Perhaps a mod could alter the title to help prevent duplicate threads?

7 minutes ago, regex said:

Perhaps a mod could alter the title to help prevent duplicate threads?

If I could figure out if this thread is about Squad's design and development decisions, or economics in Mexico, or whether KSP is more or less buggy than Triple-A games, or one of the many other subjects that have come up in this thread, AND how all of that relates to the original topic of a former employee's disgruntlement, I'd be happy to change the name to something clearer. :) 

Stargate525, the assertion I was replying to was that KSP would have been done faster and with fewer bugs if it had been made by one of the major companies. Your experience with the products of those companies seems to have been extraordinarily more positive than mine, and I'll leave it at that. 

12 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

If I could figure out if this thread is about Squad's design and development decisions, or economics in Mexico, or whether KSP is more or less buggy than Triple-A games, or one of the many other subjects that have come up in this thread, AND how all of that relates to the original topic of a former employee's disgruntlement, I'd be happy to change the name to something clearer. :) 

As far as I can tell, it seems to have started with the topic of company corruption and then descended into all of the above :P

10 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

The impression I get is that's all of these things - they're all related. Poor working conditions are gonna result in people not being able to turn out their best work. That being the case, you're going to see more bad decisions get made, and more bugs slip through. It's all interconnected. I suppose a more suitable title might be "Ramifications of former Squad staff claims," or something to that effect.

12 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

If I could figure out if .. or whether KSP is more or less buggy than Triple-A games ... I'd be happy to change the name to something clearer.

TL;DR: Not enough KSP revenue spent on KSP development, resulting in sub-par quality of KSP.

So far it's only outsiders of the dev team and Squad the advertising company that say we should accept the buggyness of the game and that it is unjustified to complain about it. Comparing KSP to Skyrim? Don't put the bar so low for yourself.

As far as i know Felipe has never stated he does not see all these bugs as a problem that needs to be solved.

Edited by rkman

34 minutes ago, rkman said:

So far it's only outsiders of the dev team and Squad the advertising company that say we should accept the buggyness of the game and that it is unjustified to complain about it. Comparing KSP to Skyrim? Don't put the bar so low for yourself.

As far as i know Felipe has never stated he does not see all these bugs as a problem that needs to be solved.

Saying you should accept the fact a turd stinks doesn't change the smell. It's still a turd and it still stinks.

1 minute ago, Tex_NL said:

Saying you should accept the fact a turd stinks doesn't change the smell. It's still a turd and it still stinks.

True, but if you know where said turd is you can at least remove it.

If you can smell it, but can't find, it all you can do is try and stay out of range, which takes trial and error, until you can get a location.  And then there can always be more than one turd, with the smell of the nearest masking the others.