[1.10.x] EasyBoard v1.10 : Board key works as a toggle

Dizor

EasyBoard

For KSP 1.8.x - 1.10.x

Easy way to board a vessel!

Description

EasyBoard simplifies boarding a vessel for kerbals. The board key "B" and the grab ladder key "F" work as a toggle. When "B" pressed in EVA your kerbal will wait until you take him to any crew cabin or command seat. Once airlock or command seat reached your kerbal will automatically go in.

Additional features:

1. Skipping debris and flags when you switching vessels with " [ " and " ] " keys. If you really need to switch to debris - hold Mod(Alt) key additionally.

2. Fixed camera jump-away-effect when boarding vessel.

3. "Herd Instinct" - mass kerbals intentions. Hotkeys: RightCtrl+B and RightCtrl+F. All kerbals will be ordered to board any vessel / grab any ladder.

How to use

0. Go to EVA with any kerbal, take a small stroll.

1. Press "B" using keyboard. You will get the notification "<kerbal name> wants to board". And/or press "F" key - you will get the message "<kerbal name> wants to grab a ladder".

2. Take kerbal closer to airlock or command seat (or to ladder to grab it).

3. Go back to forum thread and like this post. Done.

Short video demonstration

Spoiler

Сollecting kerbals

Spoiler

fKTeb8.gif

Download

SpaceDock

GitHub

Also mod is available in CKAN

Source code

GitHub

Licence

GPLv3

Change log

Please see the GitHub releases page

btn_donate_LG.gif

Edited by Dizor

3 hours ago, KocLobster said:

This sounds awesome, I hate how difficult the timing can be on trying to board, especially if you don't have the luxury of a ladder. Will try this when I get home; I can't believe nobody thought of this before.

Actually was many times when i had a nice sex with boarding and wanted to create such mod, but each time i just forget about it in few seconds after i successfully put my kerbal into command module :)

...and one day i did not forget.

6 minutes ago, gietek said:

This mod doesn't seem to work for me. I press "B" and all I get is "Bill Kerman hesitating". I fly to the hatch door, nothing happens.

This is strange. On first B press you should get "Bill Kerman wants board". If you press B again you get "Bill Kerman hesitating".

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2016 at 4:31 PM, Dizor said:

Thank you guys! Please feel free to report bugs if any.

Challenge accepted! Happens everytime I board go to board (I hit B, get the NRE's). Doesn't seem to affect gameplay/functionality, but you asked, so...:D.

This is on Linux 64 bits, with a fair number of mods. Log here.

Interestingly (or maybe not), it throws NRE's in groups of 6. No idea what that means. I wouldn't have noticed it if not for Exception Detector.

Cheers.

---edit---

Okay, looking at it more, it just seems to throw NRE's until my guy boards. It's the time between I hit 'B' and I enter the capsule that's filled with them. I suspect that it's trying to target a capsule that isn't there, and this may be working as intended? Normally I would be unhappy about this, as letting it run for about 10 seconds generated a good thousand or so NRE's, but realistically, how long will I be letting this thing run for? A few seconds at most every now and then, and with no appreciable gameplay slow down. Still, I'd rather it not happen, but whatever.:rolleyes:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at EasyBoard.EasyBoard.GetObjectField[Part] (System.Type type, System.Object instance, System.String fieldName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EasyBoard.EasyBoard.GetKerbalAirlock (.KerbalEVA kerbal) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EasyBoard.EasyBoard.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Edited by Deimos Rast

@Dizor

Reporting in from testing those dll's: bad news - both bad.

My findings:

• First .dll still throws errors and doesn't work as expected (doesn't seem to trigger 'B'). I have to hit 'B' again to actually board. Worse than Normal.
  • The second .dll also throws errors, but this time removes the option to board entirely (no 'B' popup). However, hitting 'B' a second time does make the errors stop and gives me the "Bob is hesitating" message. Unfortunately, I can no longer board at all with this .dll, as the option is removed entirely. Bob now lives on the launch pad, unable to return to his capsule. Another tragedy of my space program.:(

Log of second dll here if you're curious; I forgot to get one for the first.

Thanks for taking the time to go through this with me, much appreciated.

---edit---

I'll try it in a clean install and see how that goes; gonna take a bit to redownload the game.

----edit 2----

just did it with a the original dll in a clean install (just easy board and KSP) and got the null refs. Log here.

Edited by Deimos Rast

On 24.05.2016 at 1:05 AM, Deimos Rast said:

Bob now lives on the launch pad, unable to return to his capsule.

I have nothing to do with your Bob :) Maybe Bob really does not want to board his capsule despite any installed mods. We should respect kerbals desires :)

I have prepared two more builds for you. Please test:

3. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2HHoyq3mBJiZ1BfeTFQRVgwb1U

4. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2HHoyq3mBJiX003ckNmcjlxa3M

On 5/26/2016 at 0:55 PM, Dizor said:

I have nothing to do with your Bob :) Maybe Bob really does not want to board his capsule despite any installed mods. We should respect kerbals desires :)

I have prepared two more builds for you. Please test:

3. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2HHoyq3mBJiZ1BfeTFQRVgwb1U

4. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2HHoyq3mBJiX003ckNmcjlxa3M

I tested the third .dll: no dice (it's bad). It throws errors, but allows me to board; however, it freezes my computer/game for a good 10 seconds in the time it takes for my kerbal to be within boarding range and to actually board.

Fourth .dll....I don't know what to say, because I technically never got a chance to test it. I should back track and say KSP has never behaved well for me. At all. In fact, I recently opened a support ticket (here if curious) about it. Anyway, yesterday I spent a grueling 2 hours just trying to get KSP to load and get the launch pad to test the boarding mechanics, but the game just would not cooperate (crashing non-stop everytime I do anything, it does that a lot but worse this time). There were no errors in the log or popups from Exception Detector relating to this mod, but as soon as I switched back to the normal .dll, everything went fine. I really don't know what to make of that, but I figured I would report it any way.

I think it best if we put a halt to the investigation for the time being, as my installation is just a mess, and if you can't replicate this and others don't get this issue, then it's not that big of deal. The only thing I can think of left is that it's because I'm on Linux, and I'm guessing you're on Windows, dunno though.

Thanks again for your help, sorry for the trouble.

Results of the investigation, in summary:

1. KSP hates me.
  2. You're an incredibly helpful and proactive individual (thanks!).
  3. There is most likely nothing wrong with this mod.

19 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

I tested the third .dll: no dice (it's bad). It throws errors, but allows me to board; however, it freezes my computer/game for a good 10 seconds in the time it takes for my kerbal to be within boarding range and to actually board.

Fourth .dll....I don't know what to say, because I technically never got a chance to test it. I should back track and say KSP has never behaved well for me. At all. In fact, I recently opened a support ticket (here if curious) about it. Anyway, yesterday I spent a grueling 2 hours just trying to get KSP to load and get the launch pad to test the boarding mechanics, but the game just would not cooperate (crashing non-stop everytime I do anything, it does that a lot but worse this time). There were no errors in the log or popups from Exception Detector relating to this mod, but as soon as I switched back to the normal .dll, everything went fine. I really don't know what to make of that, but I figured I would report it any way.

I think it best if we put a halt to the investigation for the time being, as my installation is just a mess, and if you can't replicate this and others don't get this issue, then it's not that big of deal. The only thing I can think of left is that it's because I'm on Linux, and I'm guessing you're on Windows, dunno though.

Thanks again for your help, sorry for the trouble.

Results of the investigation, in summary:

1. KSP hates me.
  2. You're an incredibly helpful and proactive individual (thanks!).
  3. There is most likely nothing wrong with this mod.

Okay let's abandon this issue. It looks like just a "Deimos-Rast-specific-issue".

Yes, I'm on Windows. All 5 DLL versions I attached work fine for me - without any exceptions in log and Exception Detector.

I wish you finally find out the root cause of your KSP problems and resolve it.

14 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

How does this work??

B toggles between <kerbal name> is hesitating and no text at all.  Boarding works exactly like it did before.

KSP 1.1.2

Please check if any exceptions are thrown when you press B in EVA. Press Alt+F12 -> Debug -> Scroll down and see.

5 hours ago, Dizor said:

Please check if any exceptions are thrown when you press B in EVA. Press Alt+F12 -> Debug -> Scroll down and see.

No need to scroll, a flood of object reference not set to an object exceptions when he is apparently in the trying to board state.  Unfortunately, that's all it says.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.