Aviation Cockpits (New prop cockpits)

Mallikas

Man, that was fast. Looks cool! I'm gonna test it out later. (And try not to crash every third plane. Bad Starfighter joke right there.)

A small texturing suggestion. What if you extend the dark stripe all the way down the nosecone without breaking up the shape, like many of the paintjobs were on the real thing? The simpler shape would give it even more old school look I think.

Now, if only there was some appropriately retro looking radial intakes (hint, hint)... :D

Edit: I tried it out. Look at those disgustingly large wings! I'm sure I can shave off some more... :cool:

O_EPQmWZ6FFUDBns46jQbzXqHOxUaYvfMWD0N3M8

Edited by BureauJaeger
Added a picture

13 hours ago, Mallikas said:

Red wings? :o

That's crazy!

You're right. I switched them back to grey. And made them smaller. :D Gotta love those B9 wings.

I'm playing a slow going career game and yesterday did the GAP Mach 2 contract with that plane. Had to fly with nearly empty tanks for that last bit of speed and I almost ran out of fuel over the mountains. I'm surprised how well that glides with so little lift. Couldn't have been more perfect, fun times. :)

Look ma, I am a productive member of the society. I've done a thing. Specifically new textures for the awesome F-104 cockpit which I'm releasing now as a submod in this thread with @Mallikas' permission.

DZUgsQa.jpg

Here's what's included: two variants of the cockpit texture and a new IVA texture for the F-104 plus a new blue canopy glass texture for all the planes in the mod. So download and install the "Super Exclusive Early Download" version of the mod on the previous page if you haven't already, then download my texture pack below, replace the textures you want and go build the thing!

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7btz3f4x1hm5x4e/F-104_Retexture.zip?dl=0

Here's an imgur gallery dump for your viewing pleasure.

LYTFk1C.jpg

Licence for the submod same as the original, CC BY 4.0

Edited by BureauJaeger

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Shnyrik said:

@BureauJaeger An awesome-looking Starfighter!

Do you fly it witn FAR? If yes, then how did you manage to overcome ALG's instability at high takeoff and landing speeds (which are inborn for F-104)?

Thanks! Nope, I'm using just stock aero. But the speeds were comparatively high in that as well, and I even intentionally used the whole runway on take-offs just to see how it behaves and the ALG worked great. (Much better than stock gear anyway which regularly start this weird self-amplifying oscillation at higher speeds and eventually throw the plane all over the place. :confused:) So is there an issue with FAR and ALG then? I haven't followed those threads in a while.

1 hour ago, BureauJaeger said:

stock gear regularly start this weird self-amplifying oscillation at higher speeds and eventually throw the plane all over the place. :confused:

Well, I can say the same about ALG at speeds over 70 m/s

1 hour ago, BureauJaeger said:

So is there an issue with FAR and ALG then?

I don't think it's issue with FAR or ALG, since stock wheels with stock aerodynamics behave similarly. FAR just increases speeds, which makes the problem more actual.

I just hoped, you knew some secret combination of KSPWheels parameters to make ALG more stable :wink:

Edited by Shnyrik

43 minutes ago, Shnyrik said:

Well, I can say the same about ALG at speeds over 70 m/s

Really? Well that's a shame. Yeah, sadly no secret recipes, I think they were mostly default settings – for that version anyway, something may have changed in the meantime. However, I did balance the COM right on top of the main gear by tweaking the fuel in the tanks, and that usually helps minimize the pendulum effect. But maybe I just got lucky and managed to make an actually stable tricycle for once. :) The only trouble I had was with the scaled down nose wheel which loved to explode when braking too hard. But that's somewhat realistic I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12.3.2017 at 4:50 AM, Murican_Jeb said:

Not the best suggestion in the world, but could you try a spitfire cockpit?

I'm away from my main computer for a few months so i cant do any modelling now. I'll give the spitfire cockpit a try when i get back.

Edited by Mallikas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What i have been working on:

xNrrPo2.png

I'm hoping texturing will eventually hide the ugly shading here...

CkNaXqi.png

A radial part. I think all the cool kids are doing razorback cockpits these days? 

I've also been making some mk 2 parts, but that will come later.

Edited by Mallikas

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 0:51 PM, Mallikas said:

What i have been working on:

CkNaXqi.png

A radial part. I think all the cool kids are doing razorback cockpits these days? 

I've also been making some mk 2 parts, but that will come later.

Ahh, that spitfire cockpit you promised me. Thanks!

Edited by Murican_Jeb

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kerbinorbiter said:

Concorde? 

it also looks like the bullet train

Almost looks like Bombardier or Cessna private jet to me.

18 hours ago, kerbinorbiter said:

Concorde? 

it also looks like the bullet train

5 hours ago, GDJ said:

Almost looks like Bombardier or Cessna private jet to me.

It's supposed to be B-1 Lancer cockpit for bomber aircraft. Also it's not going to be so long as in the pic, the rear part is just stock hull i imported to help textures match better.

1 hour ago, commanderbunbun said:

Any plans to make a sci-fi based cockpit like those from Macross series?

I've wanted to make some sort of "sci-fi dropship" type cockpit with good downward visibility, but i haven't been able to make anything that looked nice yet.

8 hours ago, Mallikas said:

It's supposed to be B-1 Lancer cockpit for bomber aircraft. 

Okay, I looked it up. I see it now.
Should look spanky when it's done.