Aviation Cockpits (New prop cockpits)

Mallikas

Love this mod, used the F104 cockpit to make an exact scale replica of an F104G using RO+RSS+AJE+FAR (and any other realism mod I could get ahold of). I had to make some RO configs to make the cockpit exactly true to life (scaled up diameter to 1.45m, changed the mass). I spent way too much time on it. I used 3-views (blueprints) and the little selection box size on MSpaint to get exact dimensions and proportions for every part, including the control surfaces and wings (I had to take the cosine of the length from the top-down view b/c of the slight angle droop of the wings), and I even found an old US military document pdf that told me exactly how much each control surface deflects and I used that. And luckily, AJE has the F104's engine, although I tweaked the config and made a new engine part that was the specific variant of the engine used on the F-104G (slightly different thrust and mass). These pictures are of a rendezvous I did with a Concorde replica I made (also spent too much time getting dimensions and proportions exactly right) using an SXT cockpit with RO config, and engines I had to config in myself using engine stats I found online. I eventually shot down the Concorde with the vulcan cannon onboard the F104, which made the already terrible framerate even worse.

E2orlOi.png

Ipb27WA.png

vYEYfAj.png

uTdcCej.png

BaDOOHu.png

That's a pretty high effort replica right there!

BTW i quit modding because I haven't had any interest in playing Ksp in a long time.

If somebody wants my blender models, textures or unity set-up, i can make them available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9.11.2017 at 9:24 PM, Sebastiaz said:

Is there any chance that there will be a tweakscale compatibility by the way? ^_^

Not from me atleast. Like i said i don't think i'm returning to modding anytime soon. Maybe someone else will make the tweakscale patch.

On 2017-11-11 at 2:28 AM, Mallikas said:

Not from me atleast. Like i said i don't think i'm returning to modding anytime soon. Maybe someone else will make the tweakscale patch.

Well, If you decide to stay away from modding, I would personally like to thank you for your hard work. The models work great, look great, and I'm happy to have them in my game.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I dig it there will not be an update to this mod, right?

... is there- is there anyone who can take over? :blush:

That is to say, I cannot mod or program. Literally zero capacity, so I am confined to ask these questions.

Edited by Matuchkin

10 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

So I dig it there will not be an update to this mod, right?

... is there- is there anyone who can take over? :blush:

That is to say, I cannot mod or program. Literally zero capacity, so I am confined to ask these questions.

My guess, no.
However, as of this post, Aviation Cockpits works with KSP 1.3.1

So unless something radical changes in the next version of KSP,  you can download the latest version of Aviation Cockpits and enjoy.

27 minutes ago, GDJ said:

My guess, no.
However, as of this post, Aviation Cockpits works with KSP 1.3.1

So unless something radical changes in the next version of KSP,  you can download the latest version of Aviation Cockpits and enjoy.

Does it function with DCK?

On 10/26/2017 at 12:16 PM, Mallikas said:

That's a pretty high effort replica right there!

BTW i quit modding because I haven't had any interest in playing Ksp in a long time.

If somebody wants my blender models, textures or unity set-up, i can make them available.

I'd love that to be available. I won't be back to KSP modding for a while, but I do intend to return ASAP.

4 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

Does it function with DCK?

As it stands there is no DCK support for this mod but it shouldn't take all that long for me to put together another add on to DCK 

4 hours ago, GDJ said:

What exactly is DCK?

DCK adds 42 textures (22 camouflage patterns, 19 solid colors and 1 Waldo) to stock parts as well as support for 18 or so other part mods 

Basically all of @SpannerMonkey(smce)'s mods, AoA, Quiztech, Airplane Plus, SXT, Proc Parts and many more

It also has new rims and tires for the stock rover wheels, Energy Shieds (experimental), Stealth Coating modules that reduce your RCS when used with BDAc and some Mk0 parts ... Cloaking Device to be included in the next release :wink:

20 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

As it stands there is no DCK support for this mod but it shouldn't take all that long for me to put together another add on to DCK 

Awesome. Thank you so much for this. I have used aviation cockpits for a while now and couldn't get myself to install it now due to the lack of DCK compatibility.

And also, how exactly can you change the IVA of cockpits with ASET? What tool do I have to download? (By "tool" I mean something like Blender, Unity, etc)

Edited by Matuchkin

4 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

And also, how exactly can you change the IVA of cockpits with ASET?

Hi two ways neither exactly easy .

The early times method, that being the swapping of existing props names in cfg, and then by adjusting the prop rotations and reloading (dozens) of times gradually aligning everything, although in a lot of cases it's a straight swap (give or take)

The second and ultimately easier way is get hold of KSP version unity and part tools, link the part tools to you gamedata directory , install asset rpm etc,  refresh the part tools, and you can now spawn the IVA you wish to modify , via the part tools window, and you have full; control of part location and rotation, usually needing only minor post export tweaks back in unity. Easier but unbelievably time consuming :)

So at a minimum. to alter KSP IVA's ( without losing your mind)  you need KSP version unity(though any of the 5's will work fine)  Part tools , and the mod from which you want to use the assets

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2018 at 3:56 PM, Matuchkin said:

Awesome. Thank you so much for this. I have used aviation cockpits for a while now and couldn't get myself to install it now due to the lack of DCK compatibility.

And also, how exactly can you change the IVA of cockpits with ASET? What tool do I have to download? (By "tool" I mean something like Blender, Unity, etc)

It also takes a long time to make good functional cockpits. My college classes were cancelled due to weather this week so I spent about 24 hours total building an ASET coxkpit. That's probably about as quick as I've ever done one, and it only went that fast because I was essentially making a replica of the Bell X-1 cockpit so I didn't have to think too awful hard about where to put everything.

(Coming soon, etc.)

On 10/26/2017 at 1:16 PM, Mallikas said:

I have written @Mallikas about getting these files with an intent to keep these great works available.  Please do not take this as a request to be inundated with requests.  I am only an egg.

PS: I am using this mod with KSP 1.3.1 installs on a Mac and a PC and they work just fine.