Aviation Cockpits (New prop cockpits)

Mallikas

On 6.5.2016 at 4:56 AM, DownHereInChile said:

Loving it! May I ask for CKAN support and an F-16 cockpit? That'd be awesome.

This x10... Tried many times to build an F-16 in SPH but I always come up short with the cockpit and nose.

MwrKL8i.jpg

Edited by SkyKaptn

7 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

This x10... Tried many times to build an F-16 in SPH but I always come up short with the cockpit and nose.

MwrKL8i.jpg

Mk1 inline has plenty of space below the pilot! You could totally convert that into an intake. It would look amazing.

10 hours ago, vardicd said:

Has anyone else seen where you can't assign a kerbal to the cockpits in the SPH, or the VAB?

u1KHojG.jpg

I haven't had any problems like this, don't know what causes it or if it is related to my cockpits.

On 2.7.2016 at 1:24 PM, SkyKaptn said:

MwrKL8i.jpg

I already have a bunch of cockpits halfway done, i really should finish them instead of adding more to the list. I'll think about it later. 

Edited by Mallikas

57 minutes ago, Mallikas said:

I haven't had any problems like this, don't know what causes it or if it is related to my cockpits.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but the "problem" only seems to have affected cockpits from this mod. I haven't noticed it on any other part. What's really interesting is, in my image above, I have a external command seat on the plane, and I'm using the mod, Take Command, which allows you to assign kerbals to the external command seats before launch, and then they 'magically' spawn once the vessel loads. It doesn't show up in the list as assignable either, yet it does for any other craft I try and launch, so long as it does not have a cockpit from this mod, So I'm wondering if perhaps Take command, and your mod aren't playing nice together? I'll try removing that mod later and see if that's causing it.

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

I'm not sure what's causing it, but the "problem" only seems to have affected cockpits from this mod. I haven't noticed it on any other part. What's really interesting is, in my image above, I have a external command seat on the plane, and I'm using the mod, Take Command, which allows you to assign kerbals to the external command seats before launch, and then they 'magically' spawn once the vessel loads. It doesn't show up in the list as assignable either, yet it does for any other craft I try and launch, so long as it does not have a cockpit from this mod, So I'm wondering if perhaps Take command, and your mod aren't playing nice together? I'll try removing that mod later and see if that's causing it.

I just downloaded Take Command and tested it, still had no problems. The mod has not been updated for 1.1.3 so that could be the problem, some other people were having trouble in the thread too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Love this mod, it's been enabling me to design some killer plane builds!

Spoiler

eIMMNMw.png

The one thing I noticed that I wanted to bring to your attention is that, in the Training Jet cockpit, the IVA HUD's horizon line sits above the actual horizon line:
skgldex.png

Now, I admittedly don't know much about IVA configs, so I don't know how fixable it is, but I thought it was worth a mention anyway.

13 hours ago, kiwinanday said:

Love this mod, it's been enabling me to design some killer plane builds!

Reveal hidden contents

eIMMNMw.png

The one thing I noticed that I wanted to bring to your attention is that, in the Training Jet cockpit, the IVA HUD's horizon line sits above the actual horizon line:
skgldex.png

Now, I admittedly don't know much about IVA configs, so I don't know how fixable it is, but I thought it was worth a mention anyway.

The camera position just needs to be raised a little, for some reason it resets every time i adjust the props and i guess i forgot to set it afterwards. 

I got two new twin-seat cockpits almost ready, so hopefully i can update soon. Just have to make final adjustments to prop placing.

• 2 weeks later...

@Mallikas, if you save the props to the config, then remove the cockpit from the unity scene, then make your changes to the camera position in the config, then save the config file, then "refresh" under "settings" in the part tools box in Unity, then add the cockpit back to the Unity scene and then save the Unity scene, it will update the camera position. You have to go through that every time you change something manually in the configs - or at least that's my experience.

Edited by theonegalen

• 1 month later...

Added new content to download, two new twin-seat cockpits and internals.

It looks like the internal camera positions move up and down randomly. I don't know why or how to fix.

Please report if there are any problems.

Edited by Mallikas

10 hours ago, NippyFlippers said:

Somehow only the the MK1 S39 is showing up in my part browser.

Anyone else have this problem?

Looks like there is some typo in the cfg. Typhoon and Mirage cockpits should have TechRequired = advAerodynamics instead of Advanced Aerodynamics, and Su-30, Interceptor and Trainer cockpits should have TechRequired = supersonicFlight instead of Supersonic Flight. Simple fixes, probably you can do it yourself.

12 hours ago, nedlee said:

Looks like there is some typo in the cfg. Typhoon and Mirage cockpits should have TechRequired = advAerodynamics instead of Advanced Aerodynamics, and Su-30, Interceptor and Trainer cockpits should have TechRequired = supersonicFlight instead of Supersonic Flight. Simple fixes, probably you can do it yourself.

Yes, the .cfgs in the GameData\AviationCocokpits folder were the problem.

Easily fixed. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I have been extremely lazy for the past 8 months, but this week i got off my butt and finished the long-promised WW 2 cockpits.

They still have some issues, they spawn at odd angles so you'll have to rotate them in correct position.

I also discovered that female kerbals have their viewpoint lower than males, so the huds of none of the cockpits don't match up with heading. Sad!

3 hours ago, Mallikas said:

I have been extremely lazy for the past 8 months, but this week i got off my butt and finished the long-promised WW 2 cockpits.

They still have some issues, they spawn at odd angles so you'll have to rotate them in correct position.

I also discovered that female kerbals have their viewpoint lower than males, so the huds of none of the cockpits don't match up with heading. Sad!

Hey! Thanks for revisiting these. I'll check them out and maybe someone can come up with a "fix" for male/female viewpoints.

28 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Hey! Thanks for revisiting these. I'll check them out and maybe someone can come up with a "fix" for male/female viewpoints.

Yes, it made me quite frustrated Adjusting the camera i would load up the database, check results, adjust cfg,

load up the database, check results, adjust cfg,

load up the database, check results, adjust cfg,

load up the database, check results, adjust cfg,

load up the database, check results and once the camera was just right, make test aircraft and it would be out of whack again for no apparent reason. It made me toss my keyboard through the wall.

I just now discovered the cause and decided to simply make a slightly sexist mod.

So what kind of stuff people would like to see next?

Edited by Mallikas

4 hours ago, Mallikas said:

So what kind of stuff people would like to see next?

First of all nice to see this updated!

I made this suggestion in the Airplane plus thread too but I think blackheart is moving on to bigger planes currently; if you're sticking with fighters, there's quite a lot of modern and futuristic cockpits now and a decent amount of WWII stuff too. I'd personally love to see something from the earlyish jet age, late 50s/60s, to bridge the gap between early prop planes and the late cold war favourites. Something like the F-104 or F-106 (which, fittingly, were operated by NASA until the nineties as well).

On the other hand, if you'd prefer to do something more utilitarian, one thing I've noticed is that in the career game I'm still using the good ol' Clyde cockpit from SXT for every other plane (and pretty much helos too) because it seats six kerbals without any extra crew cabins. There's a lot of hauling around a small amount of passengers in GAP and Kerbin Side GAP, so it's just convenient; no need to transfer kerbals one by one between parts for example. For those early career small island hoppers something like an inline Piper Cherokee/Seneca with 4 to 6 passenger seats (and a separate nosecone for twin engine builds) could be very useful. Or rather a general mashup between some typical Pipers, Cessnas and Beechcrafts. (SXT does have the little Beechcraft Bonanza but it's only a single seater.) It could be suitable for all sorts of bush planes and seaplanes for the science gathering and rescue stuff too.

If your taking suggestions, I would personally like to see a smaller cockpit that is an improvement over the original Mk1 cockpit before they replaced it with a leer jet style. The only other thing I really want is a 1.25m Apache style cockpit.

On 16.1.2017 at 1:51 AM, BureauJaeger said:

First of all nice to see this updated!

I made this suggestion in the Airplane plus thread too but I think blackheart is moving on to bigger planes currently; if you're sticking with fighters, there's quite a lot of modern and futuristic cockpits now and a decent amount of WWII stuff too. I'd personally love to see something from the earlyish jet age, late 50s/60s, to bridge the gap between early prop planes and the late cold war favourites. Something like the F-104 or F-106 (which, fittingly, were operated by NASA until the nineties as well).

On the other hand, if you'd prefer to do something more utilitarian, one thing I've noticed is that in the career game I'm still using the good ol' Clyde cockpit from SXT for every other plane (and pretty much helos too) because it seats six kerbals without any extra crew cabins. There's a lot of hauling around a small amount of passengers in GAP and Kerbin Side GAP, so it's just convenient; no need to transfer kerbals one by one between parts for example. For those early career small island hoppers something like an inline Piper Cherokee/Seneca with 4 to 6 passenger seats (and a separate nosecone for twin engine builds) could be very useful. Or rather a general mashup between some typical Pipers, Cessnas and Beechcrafts. (SXT does have the little Beechcraft Bonanza but it's only a single seater.) It could be suitable for all sorts of bush planes and seaplanes for the science gathering and rescue stuff too.

12 hours ago, Dakota2063 said:

If your taking suggestions, I would personally like to see a smaller cockpit that is an improvement over the original Mk1 cockpit before they replaced it with a leer jet style. The only other thing I really want is a 1.25m Apache style cockpit.

F-104 it is then, with million dials on the console!

I'm moving soon, so i might not have time to make anything else.

I will try to make something else too though, like the helicopter or bushplane.

I've been using an OV10 like aircraft for lower level science around th KSC region. Its grat because it can carry air droppable science packages and make reasonably safe touchdowns on eough aras for putting down manually placed science packages like SEP stations. A rear compartment like the aft compartment on the OV-10 and/or the P61 widow would be sorta nifty...