A belated #BringBackTheBarn thread... with a TWIST!

So I started playing KSP after the barn was dropped. Honestly, I like the barn. So could it be brought back as an official mod or DLC please? Just a thought. #BringBackTheBarnAgain

I would be cool with the barn if it dispensed with the whole southern U.S. redneck theme.  The concept art was literally terrible.

Edited by regex

Robert Goddard facilities:

goddard.jpg

"Blockhouse?":

goddard-liquid-12.jpg

Another:

goddard-liquid-7.jpg

Corrugated metal? Sure. Boring buildings? Sure. Rockets on one side, Flossy the cow in the next stall over? No.

It might be a language issue, actually. At the VLA, we always called this building, "the barn:"

Vla_maintenance.jpg

Edited by tater

49 minutes ago, regex said:

I would be cool with the barn if it dispensed with the whole southern U.S. redneck theme.  The concept art was literally terrible.

I agree with that 100%. A little bit of Ragtag is fun and kerbal, but they were definitely going to far with the "stylization."

8 hours ago, tg626 said:

Runway should have gone grass, dirt, asphalt, concrete all smooth. BuT with weight restrictions and maybe drag too.  The bumpy dirt is absurd.

IMO it should be just shorter or not as wide as it is.

I'd just be happy if there were more levels, even if they didn't have graphics associated with 'em.

30 parts / 18 tons is extremely tight and squeezy, but then once you upgrade, boom, I'm launching Moho missions off of T2.  I've never even needed the T3 barn VAB at all, aside from the million space bucks action groups (I prefer ships to be < 120 parts and use multiple vessels for large-scale missions typically - not uncommon to have a fleet of 7 to 9 ships in a giant MIRV-style mission to another planet.  Thank the Kraken (and TriggerAu) for Kerbal Alarm Clock, heh).

Having more tiers would let us spread out the cost more too.  More, smaller increments, rather than fewer, larger ones.

On 5/05/2016 at 9:39 AM, Veeltch said:

More like #bringbac9back. He knew what he was doing.

Gets my vote too.

My problems with the "Barn" were not a comment on how many upgrade levels there should be, and I agree that more granularity here would be good. I'm not a fan of the "redneck" vibe, but more seriously, those pictures looked like a high-school project, not a professional game studio. Whoever released them in that state has no-one else to blame for the reaction they received.

Edited by steve_v

29 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

I'm sorry; I joined the KSP community waaaay later than any of you. What exactly is the barn?

The barn was the first idea for the "Tier 0"/"Tier 1" set of buildings. It was a very poorly-designed and very poorly-textures tier of buildings which got cancelled upon the amount of negative input received, while many want it back, and many of them want it back improved.

The 'concept' of the barn and other 'repurposed' agricultural, or perhaps industrial, buildings as a tier 0 starting point makes a lot of sense...  "There's an old farm near the coast on the equator that looks like it would do, there's a shabby old barn and some sheds already there too that we can use until we get more funds."

The aesthetics, and especially the details, of whatever style they use, will be very subjective as to what looks right.  Personally I'm not unduly fussed as to the style, whether I like it much personally or not it won't affect gameplay.

8 hours ago, Mjp1050 said:

I'm sorry; I joined the KSP community waaaay later than any of you. What exactly is the barn?

Basically squad thought it would be fun to release concept work in progress to get us excited and everyone thought it was the final thing and FREAKED OUT BECAUSE OMGEE THE TEXTURES DONT MATCH AND EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE because thats' what we do here. 

You can see it here: http://imgur.com/a/G2sUx#0

I thought the idea of giving Kerbal buildings real spirit and character and a sense of story was an inspired move, and I think a lot of people were perfectly aware that what we were seeing was not finished.

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

I thought the idea of giving Kerbal buildings real spirit and character and a sense of story was an inspired move, and I think a lot of people were perfectly aware that what we were seeing was not finished.

I would hardly characterize concept art inspired by a caricature of southern U.S. redneck culture as "spirit" and "character" and "sense of story".  If anything it was an overt and rote reinforcement of Squad's "MOAR EXPLOSHUNS" advertising meme, which is literally the most disappointing thing about this game and its community.

6 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Basically squad thought it would be fun to release concept work in progress to get us excited and everyone thought it was the final thing and FREAKED OUT BECAUSE OMGEE THE TEXTURES DONT MATCH AND EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE because thats' what we do here. 

You can see it here: http://imgur.com/a/G2sUx#0

Look at other tiers we have. It is clear that they completely don't match the same style the las tier KSC has.

Now tell me how the barn was "WIP" and we all "overreacted".

On 5/7/2016 at 8:51 PM, Renegrade said:

I'd just be happy if there were more levels, even if they didn't have graphics associated with 'em [...]

Having more tiers would let us spread out the cost more too.  More, smaller increments, rather than fewer, larger ones.

I've had a mod concept that would do precisely this for awhile -- the idea being to replace the current building upgrade system with something akin to the tech tree, but unlocked using funds (and/or possibly other prerequisites) instead of science.

It'd also allow you to upgrade building aspects independently and add in some integration potential with other mods.

I even started brainstorming names and flavor text for the nodes -- for instance:

- Slide Rules: Unlock maneuver planning.

- Calculators: Increase max number of conic patches to X  (How many maneuvers/SOI changes out the orbit predictions will show.  Stock doesn't limit this currently)

- Reverse Kerbal Notation: Unlimited max conic patches.

Visual upgrades to buildings, then, would be based on total funds spent on technologies related to that building.

6 hours ago, regex said:

I would hardly characterize concept art inspired by a caricature of southern U.S. redneck culture as "spirit" and "character" and "sense of story".  If anything it was an overt and rote reinforcement of Squad's "MOAR EXPLOSHUNS" advertising meme, which is literally the most disappointing thing about this game and its community.

You keep saying that, but I live in the southern US and there is nothing like that here.  Your use of "southern U.S. redneck culture" is a stereotype.  The barn images depict a typical 1970's and 80's low budget facility used across the country (especially in Hollywood) and has nothing to do with the south or poverty.

I didn't like the telescope texture as it didn't make much sense, a telescope of that technology would have been built, not a part of pre-existing farm, and if it had been built, it would not have been steel plates poorly riveted together.  The uneven steel plates on the tanks are also ridiuclous.  While riveted tanks did exist in the past (these days they use welded tanks) they panels were always square cut, not sloppy.  But given it was an early work, it could have been made better with some improvement.

I loved the barn, and I loved the idea of the trailers (NASA did use those btw).  Yes, the textures needed some work, but it was overall very nice.  Really, it's hard to do worse than the blue blah they added to the game.

Edited by Alshain

11 minutes ago, Alshain said:

The barn images depict a typical 1970's and 80's low budget facility used across the country (especially in Hollywood) and has nothing to do with the south or poverty.

I disagree, seems more like a stereotypical caricature of poor, rural America.

3 minutes ago, regex said:

I disagree, seems more like a stereotypical caricature of poor, rural America.

Perhaps in Oregon, but around here poverty is more prevalent in the urban cities and rural houses are usually gorgeous mansions.

18 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Perhaps in Oregon, but around here poverty is more prevalent in the urban cities and rural houses are usually gorgeous mansions.

No, it's pretty much a stereotype of rural America.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.