SIREN - VTOL Minisub

UPDATES:

10/6/16 - Solar panels added. Reaction wheels moved inside cockpit to reduce the dimensions of the craft which can now fit in a small MK2 cargo bay.

CRAFT FILE(S):

https://goo.gl/8eoq29

:D Rejoice! For you too can now be the proud owner of your very own flying submarine! Equally at home in the skies or the seas the Siren is an extremely capable design that can take almost anything you can throw at it. Docking ports fore and aft allow you to dock to undersea bases...

vFcltxg.jpg

...or haul cargo/droptanks.

nPQESq8.jpg

Featuring an extremely high T/W ratio the Siren can comfortably cruise at 200m/s in the air and 18m/s underwater! Out of all of my dropships this one is by far the most suited to operating on Laythe. :wink:

1vMzk22.jpg

In fact it flys so fast it really does blur the line between dropship, aircraft and submarine! :cool:

r16KwgI.jpg

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Main Engines

2 - Toggle Rocket Assist

5 - Undock/De-Couple Top Docking Port

0 - Toggle Cockpit Door/Speed Brake/Landing Gear

ABORT : Undock/De-Couple Cargo Port

NOTES:

In terms of performance the Siren leaves all my other athmo dropships for dead, it really is like a little F1 car and needs skilled pilots to get the best out of it, or to put it another way not end up in a flaming pile of metal!

You've got so much thrust that the craft actually handles like an aircraft in forward flight and I'd recommend setting control to the top docking port for normal flight/cruise or submarine work. When landing control should be set to command seat and rocket assist used to help control your descent.

Once up to cruising speed the craft's heading can be tweaked by gently rolling left or right. Keeping the heading pointed in line with the crafts direction is the best way to ensure maximum cruise speed.

Having the cockpit doors open exposes the craft to a lot of drag which you can use to your advantage by having them act as a speed brake in flight. When docking/undocking or dropping cargo they should be left closed.

A joystick is highly recommended, SAS should be left on at all times.

The Siren relies on the jet engine alternators to generate power and it's recommended to disable the SAS and lights when not in use.

Due to it's highly agile handing and high thrust the Siren can be a challenge to land. Adding a chute to the top docking port is a good way of getting down safely until you get a feel for the craft.

Enjoy! :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Its a crazy little craft, Cupcake, I see what you meant... a little powerhouse!

jl1Q9BM.jpg

It handles great once you get used to it. Would be nice if the "control from here" comand could be linked to an action group, it really transitions nicely between both flight modes.

SAzdq0m.jpg

I enjoyed it under water a lot too! Made me wanna mess with mini subs.

8 hours ago, Dafni said:

Its a crazy little craft, Cupcake, I see what you meant... a little powerhouse!

It handles great once you get used to it. Would be nice if the "control from here" comand could be linked to an action group, it really transitions nicely between both flight modes.

I enjoyed it under water a lot too! Made me wanna mess with mini subs.

It's a pretty wild ride huh? It's taken me a while to get used to it and I designed the thing! :D Hopefully they will add "control from here" to the action groups one day, it'll make life a lot easier that's for sure. Anyway, I just hope I get some time to shoot a video for it soon! :P

Cupcake...

13 hours ago, Triop said:

Love it ! Looks so smooth....

I've created something like that once, the small cargobay is a excellent cockpit ^_^

Nice! :) I like the ballast tanks too. :wink: Does it have an engine or do you just dump the ore when you want to sufrace?

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

4 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Nice! :) I like the ballast tanks too. :wink: Does it have an engine or do you just dump the ore when you want to sufrace?

Cupcake...

No engines, I fly this to it's location and then dump it with a parachute...And yes, ore gets dumped to surface.

hKGD8wy.png

Edited by Triop

• 4 weeks later...

Heh All,

I've added an upgraded version of the Siren to the D/L folder. :wink:

k03aOW8.jpg

By taking the reaction wheels off the side tanks and mounting them in the cockpit the craft is now compact enough to operate from a small MK2 Cargo bay. Good news for Laythe trips! :cool:

LHtLPPY.jpg

Solar panels have also been added to the top and bottom of the craft in order to provide power when operating in a vacuum. Please note that the cockpit doors must be open for the solar panels to function!

ATM I'm still tweaking this mother ship design with the eventual goal being swappable cargo modules containing Siren, Mindy or Shrimp landers. Right, back to it! :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

19 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Very cute!

How are you launching the mother ship from Kerbin?

I haven't got to that part yet, but I imagine it'll be on a very big rocket! :)

18 hours ago, Dafni said:

Nice upgrade, man. The mothership looks cool too, looks like it can pack some serious dV.

Cheers, and yes she's got a fair amount of grunt under the hood, plenty for Jool missions anyway. :D

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

9 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

I haven't got to that part yet, but I imagine it'll be on a very big rocket! :)

Cheers, and yes she's got a fair amount of grunt under the hood, plenty for Jool missions anyway. :D

Cupcake...

Jool 5 hype?:wink:

Also, sadly, in the VAB and SPH, it says the Siren is incompatible with 1.1. Y u do this game? Y?:mad:;.;

Edited by Thatguywholikesionengines

5 hours ago, Thatguywholikesionengines said:

Jool 5 hype?:wink:

Also, sadly, in the VAB and SPH, it says the Siren is incompatible with 1.1. Y u do this game? Y?:mad:;.;

Are you running the latest version? If not you can use a text editor to change the version number of the craft file. :)

Cupcake...

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, 50calkerbin said:

In the first picture you show the siren attached to an underwater mining vessel. By any chance do you happen to have that craft up for download because it looks really cool.

Afraid I only built it as a throwaway prop/test rig and have no idea what I've done with file. :( From memory it's just a couple of ore tanks with large landing gear attached and offset so the wheels are clipped inside the ore tanks. I think it was knocked up in the space of 5 min so I'm sure you'll be able to re-create it. :wink:

Cupckake...

3 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Afraid I only built it as a throwaway prop/test rig and have no idea what I've done with file. :( From memory it's just a couple of ore tanks with large landing gear attached and offset so the wheels are clipped inside the ore tanks. I think it was knocked up in the space of 5 min so I'm sure you'll be able to re-create it. :wink:

Cupckake...

Thank you for letting me know I will try to re-create it the best I can off of the video and the picture, also does the mining vessel is the video have 2 drills or 3 drills. :)

Edited by 50calkerbin
Forgot to include a question

On 16/07/2016 at 11:02 AM, 50calkerbin said:

Thank you for letting me know I will try to re-create it the best I can off of the video and the picture, also does the mining vessel is the video have 2 drills or 3 drills. :)

From memory it's 2 drills but feel free to adapt it to your needs. :wink:

Cupcake...

On 18/07/2016 at 3:16 AM, qromodynmc said:

Cupcake, your craft is amazing as always but i noticed something else, your screenshots look really nice and saturated, you edited them or mod?

I sometimes give the colours/contrast a bit of a lift in photoshop as I find the stock graphics a bit flat for my tastes.

Cupcake...

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.