[1.2.x/1.3] MemGraph 1.1.0.3 - with Stutter Reduction

Padishar

22 hours ago, siimav said:

It's working fine for me without any changes.

One thing is not working as intended:

During the launching process (MM patching etc.) and also insie the main menu I can't toggle the MemGraph window on/off or increase/decrease the scale - and also the padding doesn't work.

So I guess the whole input is not recognized ...

6 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

One thing is not working as intended:

During the launching process (MM patching etc.) and also insie the main menu I can't toggle the MemGraph window on/off or increase/decrease the scale - and also the padding doesn't work.

So I guess the whole input is not recognized ...

Both the window toggling and adding padding are working for me. Dunno whether it makes a difference but because I have a laptop without a numpad, I remapped the toggling key to alt+del. Padding hotkey is still alt+end.

OMG!

Ashes on my head, I had a too-long-break of KSP and just forgot something ... :0.0:

I only peeked into the settings.cfg where it still says:

visible = true
applyPadding = true
keyToggleWindow = KeypadMultiply
keyScaleUp = KeypadPlus
keyScaleDown = KeypadMinus
keyRunTests = KeypadDivide
keyPadHeap = End

But the README says:

## Usage
Mod-KeypadMultiply toggles the display of the window.  
Mod-KeypadPlus increases the vertical scale of the graph.  
Mod-KeypadMinus decreases the vertical scale of the graph.  
Mod-KeypadDivide runs a bit of test code controlled by MemGraph\PluginData\test.cfg.  
Mod-End pads the Mono heap with a configurable amount of headroom to reduce frequency of garbage collections.

And finally I have to admit that I am a Windows user so "Mod" is awkward for me...

I't called ALT

Sorry to bother, I guess I had something similar in an older post 2 years ago or so ...

Edit:

I just edited the README.MD and renamed it to "MemGraph README.md" and moved it into the KSP root folder ... :D

Edited by Gordon Dry

@Gordon Dry Well, I am linux user (with 15 years windows experience) and we are using the very same keyboards and very same hardware, however the "ALT" key is occupied by window manager (its dwm on windows), Alt+click results in window grab. Thus its "Mod"ifier key, really = Alt on windows, Ctrl on linux, Control on mac. :)

Does this mod only help with stutter, or will it also help avoiding/delaying a memory crash? I have 24GB of RAM and excrementsload of mods in my game, so after a couple times for flight reverting the game crashes to desktop.

Hm, would be nice to have the window be closed on startup. First thing I do when booting in is close the window since it's only needed when my game starts to stutter.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

2 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm, would be nice to have the window be closed on startup. First thing I do when booting in is close the window since it's only needed when my game starts to stutter.

visible = false

In the settings.cfg, located in \MemGraph\PluginData\MemGraph\

On 3/27/2018 at 9:46 AM, JANXOL said:

Does this mod only help with stutter, or will it also help avoiding/delaying a memory crash? I have 24GB of RAM and excrementsload of mods in my game, so after a couple times for flight reverting the game crashes to desktop.

It will probably not prevent a memory crash, since 24GB of RAM is not so much anymore, applying some padding will easily increase the RAM usage of KSP (with many mods) to 50+GB.

12 minutes ago, emerald said:

It will probably not prevent a memory crash, since 24GB of RAM is not so much anymore, applying some padding will easily increase the RAM usage of KSP (with many mods) to 50+GB.

50GB? I use 200 mods and my KSP starts up with 9GB with normal texture size... over the session it grows up to like 20GB on my KSP 1.4.2 installl... but 50GB?! What have you installed?

Well after some tweks here and there, and minor cleanup fo my gamedata, i managed to make KSP playable again. Currently, with memgraph, it goes to 11GB usage in title screen, then gradually rises towards 20-ish. I usually decide to restart once it passes 22GB, because then its a matter of time untill it crashes on me. I still have some stutter, especially when decoupling/undicking large chunks of spacecraft, but i am kinda rulctant to increase memgraph memory in cfg, seeing how im already right at the margin.

2 hours ago, CanOmer said:

I get mini freezes between red lines which can be seen as mini drops in green graph. Why is it happening? (I'm using KSP v1.3.1)

sxRzEWp.png

The red line indicates Garbage Collection done by the unity/C# engine. And as far as I can see, you are not that hard hit. Between you red line I have 6 extra.

Stutter not related to GC/red lines are heavy calculations, which can happen with X-Science. There is an unofficial build on the X-Science page that can help reduce that.

In the following thread we are discussing what can be done about it.

1 hour ago, CanOmer said:

But I don't use X Science mod.

That's fine. Note there will always be Garbage Collection, it's just a matter of how often. Many mods create more garbage than they need to, but that is as it is when we are amateurs. However, the KSP community is more aware of this than many, so we do see improvements all the time.

Just a reminder for people:
MemGraph has two functions:
1. Using the graph to diagnose garbage creation problems with mods;
2. Reducing the time between garbage collection runs by increasing the amount of RAM the game can use for the garbage. (bigger trashcan = having to empty it less often)

It won't magically triple your framerate and it won't remove every stutter in the game since stutters can be caused by a number of things (one of which is physics). Memgraph only helps reduce the impact of the *garbage collection* stutter.

If you're seeing a lot of garbage being created every frame (the "last" entry in the graph top) (10k+ KB) and it's not for just a split second in the VAB/SPH while mousing over parts, then you've probably got some mod problems. The graph will help you diagnose this by showing you the garbage creation. Simply remove mods until the garbage creation goes down. It is *not* a replacement for properly managing installations.

Edited by Jognt
How do I English?

58 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

@CanOmer I see you have Contract Configurator installed. In my experience, it generates more garbage for collection than it's worth. That was on 1.3 for me, haven't used it on 1.4.2.

Did you ever ask @nightingale about this?  Especially considering how widespread Contract Configurator use is.

7 hours ago, Jacke said:

Did you ever ask @nightingale about this?  Especially considering how widespread Contract Configurator use is.

I did a pretty huge pass at some performance cleanup some time back, much of it around preventing contract generation from even occurring during flight.  Although there's plenty of things that I'd like to clean up (lots of string concat garbage, the expression parsing stuff is a huge mess), most of the really bad stuff has been fixed.  The statement of Contract Configurator creating lots of garbage is something that gets thrown around every now and then, but very rarely with useful supporting evidence, and never with a pull request to fix anything.

I have very limited time for modding these days (and there's a reason I almost completely disappeared from the KSP community for over a year).  I'm happy to look into performance issues as I have time, and with appropriate priority.  But not based on heresay from previous versions of the mod, or simply based on the fact that garbage collection is running.  The other thing to keep in mind is that Contract Configurator is (to some degree) a scripting engine - someone can come along and write a really bad contract (performance-wise).  I've done what I can to limit the impact of that (ie. limiting it to the space center scene), but there's only so much I can do without significant re-writes.

So yeah, in short - show me where it's having a meaningful performance impact outside of the space center, and tell me what contract packs are installed, what contracts are active - then I have something to go off of.

(@leatherneck6017 - please don't take this as an attack on you personally, my comments on this are meant to be more general and not directed at anyone in particular)