Padishar

[1.2.x/1.3] MemGraph 1.1.0.3 - with Stutter Reduction

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Yo! I've got a quick question... is this reading good or bad?

 

Neither good nor bad, you're just zoomed in a lot. Use mod + - to zoom out. You're looking to increase the value 'int' on the top right corner. Using this mod, I go from around 30 seconds to over 60 seconds. For reference, your graph says garbage collection is occurring every 29 seconds.

Edited by LemonSkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,
here's the deal as quick as possible:
Got incredible stuttering both in frequency and length in career with 75 mods, found this mod and added padding which reduced only the frequency. (I guess obviously, still lots of garbage generated).
Ran Vanilla in sandbox, no stutter except sporadic collection happening even if heap not full. Almost flat memory allocation graph.
Decided to find the mod-mods that caused problems and here the fun happened: Ended up with all mods enabled and no stutter in sandbox at all like vanilla.
Tried career again with mods, uber stutter.
Now, why the difference in your opinion? Should I re-test all the mods but in career? :/ 
Tried to debug using the log file and found 2 different codes perma spammed, fixed one by searching the forum, but the second:
 

Spoiler

[WRN 02:24:16.449] Contract Log: KerbalTourParameter cannot load kerbalGender, it is not in the node. Initializing with default of Male!
[WRN 02:24:16.450] Contract Log: KerbalTourParameter cannot load kerbalGender, it is not in the node. Initializing with default of Male!
[WRN 02:24:16.451] Contract Log: KerbalTourParameter cannot load kerbalGender, it is not in the node. Initializing with default of Male!
[WRN 02:24:16.451] Contract Log: KerbalTourParameter cannot load kerbalGender, it is not in the node. Initializing with default of Male!

 

Is not to be found. Tried verbose logging hoping that the point of origin of the message would appear nearby but that didn't help.
How can I find the origin besides wild guessing?
Attaching the career image:
Career

Thanks for the mod and for the help.

Edited by Pake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheRagingIrishman Using custombarnkit for Strategia and PlayYourWay which in theory removes any other contract. Tried to search galileo's config files for the keywords but didn't find anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pake I'd remove contract configurator plus all mods that depend on it and try again career mode. Please report back and if it doesn't help then posting log file would help a bit

Edited by Raphaello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Raphaello Yeah, removed Play Your Way and everything went fine. Ironically the mod removing all contracts was causing the garbage. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would really like to use the Mod+End feature of this but every time I press Alt+End, nothing happens.  Alt+Multiply, Alt+Plus, etc all work fine, but Alt+End will just not work.  I'm probably missing something obvious, but I cannot figure it out.  Any help is appreciated, thanks!

 

EDIT:  Figured it out.  I thought it was NumEnd since everything else was on the number pad, but no its the normal End.  *facepalm* :P

Edited by gooroo7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I was running some tests on the Volta and was greeted with this after doing a handful of test runs (I.E. I'd launch, cycle the engine rotation and dock a few times and then go back and tweak the hinge again before relaunching) with it and when when I curiously checked MemGraph I was greeted with this...

BJYoDgo.png

Is there any way to check which mods are causing that ridiculous number of spikes, or does the stock game just do that when you dock/launch a bunch? I have a bunch of utility and aesthetic mods but nothing that adds any parts.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hey, I was running some tests on the Volta and was greeted with this after doing a handful of test runs (I.E. I'd launch, cycle the engine rotation and dock a few times and then go back and tweak the hinge again before relaunching) with it and when when I curiously checked MemGraph I was greeted with this...

BJYoDgo.png

Is there any way to check which mods are causing that ridiculous number of spikes, or does the stock game just do that when you dock/launch a bunch? I have a bunch of utility and aesthetic mods but nothing that adds any parts.

Should I be worried that my memgraph window is almost completely yellow ... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Should I be worried that my memgraph window is almost completely yellow ... ?

waitwhat... what does yellow mean? I've never had yellow in my graph...

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

waitwhat... what does yellow mean? I've never had yellow in my graph...

Do not pin me down when it comes to kerbing colors, son! :wink:

Just saying that I rarely have any valleys in my MemGraph window, it is mostly one fully colored window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Do not pin me down when it comes to kerbing colors, son! :wink:

Just saying that I rarely have any valleys in my MemGraph window, it is mostly one fully colored window.

Oh - you need to press down ALT and then either the "+" or "-" on your number pad and it will change the graph zoom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Is there any way to check which mods are causing that ridiculous number of spikes, or does the stock game just do that when you dock/launch a bunch? I have a bunch of utility and aesthetic mods but nothing that adds any parts.

Only by removing them and seeing if the behaviour stops.  Your min is 814, max 831, so the GC is running after only allocating 17 meg and your game is currently allocating about 4 meg per second (that is what the graph shows) filling the 17 meg in about 4 seconds.  Try activating the heap padding feature, it should improve things considerably (assuming you have some free memory to play with)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Padishar said:

Only by removing them and seeing if the behaviour stops.  Your min is 814, max 831, so the GC is running after only allocating 17 meg and your game is currently allocating about 4 meg per second (that is what the graph shows) filling the 17 meg in about 4 seconds.  Try activating the heap padding feature, it should improve things considerably (assuming you have some free memory to play with)...

I've got 16GB of memory and KSP hasn't gone close to it yet :P How do I use the padding feature? Hitting Alt-End doesn't do anything in my game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I've got 16GB of memory and KSP hasn't gone close to it yet :P How do I use the padding feature? Hitting Alt-End doesn't do anything in my game.

Well, you should definitely see the Cur value in the MemGraph window jump when you hit Mod-End.  Are you using the End key on the number pad (on the 1 key), a laptop Fn-based End key or a real End key (it should be this one though the laptop style one may work)?  If you can't get it to work then you can edit the key binding in the settings.cfg file and change it to a different key (there is a post in the thread somewhere linking to a Unity documentation page that lists all the different key names).  If you are running mostly stock and have lots of free memory then you can also increase the total line in padheap.cfg (though this shouldn't be necessary to see an obvious improvement).

Edited by Padishar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, I get this hitting the download link with Chrome, odd considering it's hard to figure out how a zip file is a phishing site but there ya go.

Deceptive site ahead

Attackers on github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards).

Automatically send some system information and page content to Google to help detect dangerous apps and sites. Privacy policy

Back to safety HIDE DETAILS

Google Safe Browsing recently detected phishing on github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com. Phishing sites pretend to be other websites to trick you. Learn more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

FYI, I get this hitting the download link with Chrome, odd considering it's hard to figure out how a zip file is a phishing site but there ya go.

Deceptive site ahead

Attackers on github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards).

Automatically send some system information and page content to Google to help detect dangerous apps and sites. Privacy policy

Back to safety HIDE DETAILS

Google Safe Browsing recently detected phishing on github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com. Phishing sites pretend to be other websites to trick you. Learn more.

If github hosts on amazon's servers Chrome might think it is a fraudulent link to a phishing site which tries to make you install malware - but I am not a IT security specialist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So on the Padheap.cfg page what values do I change to increase the amount of memory that can be allocated to KSP? I have 32 GB installed on my rig with around 24 GB available when running KSP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sluceros said:

So on the Padheap.cfg page what values do I change to increase the amount of memory that can be allocated to KSP? I have 32 GB installed on my rig with around 24 GB available when running KSP.

Just change the total line at the end to be the number of megabytes you want to use, e.g to use 4GB change it to total:4096

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great mod!

Wanted to give some feedback:

On my "till August"-System with 8gb ram and i5-3570k with heavy 1.2.2 Realism Overhaul install, 50 mods and padheap 1gb, i got from:
- Early Game (<50hours): Inflight from 25 sec intervall to 30-35 sec intervall
- mid game (>50hours): inflight from 15-18 sec intervall to 20-25 sec intervall

In september i got a new System: 16gb ram and ryzen 5 1600, again with heavy 1.3.0 Realism Overhaul install, 50 mods and padheap 4gb, i got from:
- Early Game (<50hours): Inflight from 35 sec intervall to 90-120 sec intervall :cool:

If i use the mod+end method 2 or 3 times the results get to the 90-120 intervalls, thats sooooo nice.

Wierdly in the SPH the intervalls go down to like 10sec and vary from 5sec to 30 sec....

Without this mod, KSP wouldnt be playable with mods for me!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RobinVerhulstZ said:

What's this "Mod" key? is it Alt or Alt Gr (right alt)? 

Mod varies by OS. For Windows it is the left Alt key (option key on OSX and right shift on Linux - full keybindings here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to decrease the min heap size? The pad heap seems to considerably increase the min heap size canceling out the effect the increased max size would otherwise have had?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 5:18 AM, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Is there a way to decrease the min heap size? The pad heap seems to considerably increase the min heap size canceling out the effect the increased max size would otherwise have had?

Negative, this program actually really does neither, what it does is create massive piles of data in memory and then destroy them.    Unity's heap manager does not compact that data so when a garbage collection routine is run, it clears it the unallocated data, out but the heap remains at the larger size.  I really do not know why it does not clear down lower, but I do know the garbage collection in unity is particular garbage,they even state as much in the manual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.