Padishar

[1.2.x/1.3] MemGraph 1.1.0.3 - with Stutter Reduction

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Nightside said:

Does anyone know how to use this on a system without a numpad (a laptop in my case)?

Nearly all laptops have a way to type keypad keys via some sort of chord or extra meta key. Failing that, there are programs for temporarily remapping the keyboard or letting you type missing keys via chords for all the OSes KSP runs on. If there's no support in the mod, I would look into those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 7:07 PM, Nightside said:

Does anyone know how to use this on a system without a numpad (a laptop in my case)?

You can go into the GameData folder for MemGraph and change the assigned keys in settings.cfg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome Mod,

This mod was really a game changer for me, my KSP game went from micro freezing every few seconds to having rare micro freezes!

Thank you so much for making this mod!:kiss:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

please i need help i can't play the game 

i get game freeze every 10 second of less 

the game is unplayable 

i have done as said in this topic 

but still getting freeze can some one help me i can't play it 

aZLVu3P.png 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ninadragonborn said:

please i need help i can't play the game 

i get game freeze every 10 second of less 

the game is unplayable 

i have done as said in this topic 

but still getting freeze can some one help me i can't play it

Some Pc specs and how many mods you are using, that would be interesting, because if you have spare ram you could make memgraphs heap size bigger.

And it looks like you have quite a few mods, Mods like remotetech, scansat, x science all running always in the background and slowing down the game. Maybe think about what mods do you REALLY need/want and keep your install as clean as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

Some Pc specs and how many mods you are using, that would be interesting, because if you have spare ram you could make memgraphs heap size bigger.

And it looks like you have quite a few mods, Mods like remotetech, scansat, x science all running always in the background and slowing down the game. Maybe think about what mods do you REALLY need/want and keep your install as clean as possible.

yes i have  huge number of mod  but i manage to fix it a little by changing the texture folder of RSS which did decrease better but still i get some Stutter after playing game for 1 hour and it became worse as i play more 

this is my system is my ram to low do i need more ram i can't find out 

CPU : i7 7700k

Graphic : 1080 GTX

Ram : 16 G

Resolution 1440x900

and why i get huge increase in Ram after 1 hour of play and i'm playing from start so there is not much in game yet 

and also i'm playing in RSS

thanks a lot for quick answer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ninadragonborn said:

yes i have  huge number of mod  but i manage to fix it a little by changing the texture folder of RSS which did decrease better but still i get some Stutter after playing game for 1 hour and it became worse as i play more 

this is my system is my ram to low do i need more ram i can't find out 

CPU : i7 7700k

Graphic : 1080 GTX

Ram : 16 G

Resolution 1440x900

and why i get huge increase in Ram after 1 hour of play and i'm playing from start so there is not much in game yet 

and also i'm playing in RSS

thanks a lot for quick answer 

I had the same problem with my 8 GB of Ram and i upgraded to 16, like your system.

First thing is to increase the padheap size in your install: \GameData\MemGraph\PluginData\MemGraph\padheap.cfg change the "total" number to 4096 or even 6144. If you have 16 GB you should take a look at yout task manager to find out how many free ram do you have when the game is running. 16 Gb - ~5/6 GB from KSP - 1/2 GB Windows = 8 GB free, this RAM you can use for your padheap total size (in MegaByte 4GB=4096MB), always have some Ram to spare of course. Padheap is the volume memgraph is using to save the junk and than deletes it when its full.

And you should use alt+end ingame to reduce the frequncy of garbage collection, youll need to have the memgraph display open (alt+*). For me that brough my freezes down from 10 sec. to over 80 sec and dont notices them anymore.

 

EDIT: Also delete old crafts, the more crafts you have flying around, using resources and mods, the more lag you get.

Edited by JohnMcLane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnMcLane said:

I had the same problem with my 8 GB of Ram and i upgraded to 16, like your system.

First thing is to increase the padheap size in your install: \GameData\MemGraph\PluginData\MemGraph\padheap.cfg change the "total" number to 4096 or even 6144. If you have 16 GB you should take a look at yout task manager to find out how many free ram do you have when the game is running. 16 Gb - ~5/6 GB from KSP - 1/2 GB Windows = 8 GB free, this RAM you can use for your padheap total size (in MegaByte 4GB=4096MB), always have some Ram to spare of course. Padheap is the volume memgraph is using to save the junk and than deletes it when its full.

And you should use alt+end ingame to reduce the frequncy of garbage collection, youll need to have the memgraph display open (alt+*). For me that brough my freezes down from 10 sec. to over 80 sec and dont notices them anymore.

 

EDIT: Also delete old crafts, the more crafts you have flying around, using resources and mods, the more lag you get.

that was Amazing Guide adding more padheap really did fix it though my ram use is now in 10 g lol a huge amount but its ok and will buy more ram as soon as i can 

i think because i have a 140 mod installed i am getting punished by system lol 

and a huge thanks to both @JohnMcLane and the owner of this amazing mod now i do not get stutter at all i think it just happen only in 500 second so if you need help ever just tell me @JohnMcLane  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ninadragonborn said:

that was Amazing Guide adding more padheap really did fix it though my ram use is now in 10 g lol a huge amount but its ok and will buy more ram as soon as i can 

i think because i have a 140 mod installed i am getting punished by system lol 

and a huge thanks to both @JohnMcLane and the owner of this amazing mod now i do not get stutter at all i think it just happen only in 500 second so if you need help ever just tell me @JohnMcLane  

 

With 6 gb to spare right now, no need for more RAM. On the other side, more ram is always better :D glad i could help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I uninstalled many mods to fix this problem in vain. In the end mods wasn't the source of it, but the game is! Thanks a lot for this great mod.

I have 12 GB memory. Should I change something to increase memory usage for longer intervals?

Edited by CanOmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CanOmer said:

I uninstalled many mods to fix this problem in vain. In the end mods wasn't the source of it, but the game is! Thanks a lot for this great mod.

I have 12 GB memory. Should I change something to increase memory usage for longer intervals?

Look at the 4 posts above, youll find your answer there :wink:

Spare Ram and stutter-> bigger heap size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2017 at 2:11 AM, JohnMcLane said:

I had the same problem with my 8 GB of Ram and i upgraded to 16, like your system.

First thing is to increase the padheap size in your install: \GameData\MemGraph\PluginData\MemGraph\padheap.cfg change the "total" number to 4096 or even 6144. If you have 16 GB you should take a look at yout task manager to find out how many free ram do you have when the game is running. 16 Gb - ~5/6 GB from KSP - 1/2 GB Windows = 8 GB free, this RAM you can use for your padheap total size (in MegaByte 4GB=4096MB), always have some Ram to spare of course. Padheap is the volume memgraph is using to save the junk and than deletes it when its full.

And you should use alt+end ingame to reduce the frequncy of garbage collection, youll need to have the memgraph display open (alt+*). For me that brough my freezes down from 10 sec. to over 80 sec and dont notices them anymore.

 

EDIT: Also delete old crafts, the more crafts you have flying around, using resources and mods, the more lag you get.

This is so helpful! I'd been playing with Memgraph for a while, but didn't know about changing padheap.cfg. I have 32gigs of RAM, so set my padheap to 8192kb and things are running much smoother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note:

For some reason I can use Alt-/, Alt-* and other binds with left alt button, but i need to use right alt button for alt-end to work. Weird. I am using Win8.1.

EDIT: This could be because I have f.lux installed which has ALT-End bound too.

Edited by prykpryk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what am I looking at here?  A year ago I assembled the screamingest PC I could buy parts for and assembled it.
Kerbal stutters relentlessly now every 3-5 seconds.
This is what Memgraph is saying.  Please let me know what else you need to know.  

 

** Edit: Might have figured it out.  Did you know that <alt> <numpad end> != <alt> <end>?
Yeah.  Seems to work now--a minute between garbage collection rather than 3-6 seconds.  MUCH happier.  Thanks for this!

NKwF53l.png

Edited by slaintemaith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to look for a second to even find the numpad End. I never understood why NumLock was even a thing, when clearly, the intended use for that section of keyboard was for number entry. So, now that you've discovered that, does your "Cur:" number read substantially higher? While running KSP, have a look at your computer's total memory usage, and step up the setting in the MemGraph config file until you are using . . . most. I leave myself about a gig to spare, personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2018 at 7:34 PM, slaintemaith said:

Did you know that <alt> <numpad end> != <alt> <end>?

weird, seems to work for me on Win10 just pressing Alt+End. I do have an End key on my numpad but I always have numlock on.

I have 16GB and jacked the padheap.cfg total to 4096 but now although I only get stutters every 70s or so they last like 2-3s instead of ~1s. I still have some experimenting to do but shorter stutters every 30s or so is probably where I'll try and keep things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does seem to stutter less.  Sometimes.  Eventually it catches up (typically after an hour or so) and I have to save, close out, and restart.

I don't know enough about PC memory to know what would be ideal settings for the config file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KSP is using 8360ish MB of my memory.  Total used is 39% with all programs.  So what should the MemGraph config look like?  The numbers in that don't make sense to me, I'm afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19.12.2017 at 11:11 AM, JohnMcLane said:

 

First thing is to increase the padheap size in your install: \GameData\MemGraph\PluginData\MemGraph\padheap.cfg change the "total" number to 4096 or even 6144. If you have 16 GB you should take a look at yout task manager to find out how many free ram do you have when the game is running. 16 Gb - ~5/6 GB from KSP - 1/2 GB Windows = 8 GB free, this RAM you can use for your padheap total size (in MegaByte 4GB=4096MB), always have some Ram to spare of course. Padheap is the volume memgraph is using to save the junk and than deletes it when its full.

And you should use alt+end ingame to reduce the frequncy of garbage collection, youll need to have the memgraph display open (alt+*). For me that brough my freezes down from 10 sec. to over 80 sec and dont notices them anymore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to mention, after reading through most of the thread; for me, contract configurator is basically an unusable mod. The difference in GC times with/without CC is literally a factor of 10, with a single contract pack installed. And in certain situations, even with considerable padding for 16gb of ram, something in CC causes GC spam, in like 3-5s intervals. Mostly I noticed this in suborbital flight over the Mun (no graphics packs installed). 

Anyway, I would say, anyone who feels like they just can't fix their stuttering issues, or memGraph isn't working as well as you expect; try playing for a little bit without contract configurator. I don't think I can ever use it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, drhay53 said:

Just to mention, after reading through most of the thread; for me, contract configurator is basically an unusable mod. The difference in GC times with/without CC is literally a factor of 10, with a single contract pack installed. And in certain situations, even with considerable padding for 16gb of ram, something in CC causes GC spam, in like 3-5s intervals. Mostly I noticed this in suborbital flight over the Mun (no graphics packs installed). 

Anyway, I would say, anyone who feels like they just can't fix their stuttering issues, or memGraph isn't working as well as you expect; try playing for a little bit without contract configurator. I don't think I can ever use it again.

I don't see this reported on ContractConfigurator's issues list yet. If you've got good captures of the symptoms (e.g., before/after screenshots of MemGraph), it would be nice to have issues like this documented:

Doesn't look like CC is being actively maintained based on its forum thread, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my graph:

YmyPriF.png

Its from start of the game to a vessel in LKO wich I landed.

I literally have no idea what I'm doing here, but the description said feedback would be appreciated. So even if I don't know if this graph is working, is godd or bad... here it is^^

(I have "applyPadding = true" all the time with stock settings)

 

Edit:

The first green block is obviously the loading of the game. The many redlines are switching through the menues until I reach the craft. The following somwhat similar looking blocks are the process of landing it. And the grand finale is recovering it.

Edited by maculator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone can post their good pad heap settings for game with lot of mods? I have 32GB ram and no fear of using it! Thank you!

Edited by cpx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2017 at 2:21 PM, HebaruSan said:
  On 3/6/2017 at 3:36 PM, sal_vager said:

The devs who left last year worked extremely hard to reduce garbage as much as they were able to, and this has had a huge positive effect on KSP, but it can't be eliminated.

At some point the work required is too great and the return too small.

Also, mods add to the memory garbage, not parts but plugins, anything that uses strings in C# will allocate heap memory, so that's anything with text.

There's newer ways to handle text, stringbuilder for example, though performance will vary, and there's awkward workarounds using char arrays, which is already done in KSP.

Sorry but there's really no way to 'fix' this as it's not really 'broken', this is how the garbage collector in Unity works, but when Unity updates Mono they will make the SGen GC an option, and that is much newer and smarter than the garbage collector Unity currently provides.

Does this mean I can delete all the text strings from from my mods to improve GC? I mean who needs descriptions anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cpx if you aren't running anything in the background you could probably go as high as 16gb for your padding without any risks.

in padheap.cfg change the "total" number to 16384

Edited by The Beaver
added without any risks, could go even higher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.