[1.2 - 1.4] Elephant Engine, v0.2 (2016-05-06)

NecroBones

22 hours ago, NecroBones said:

The Elephant Engine is effectively a 75% "Mammoth". It consists of three "Vectors" in a single 3.75m housing, for when a Mammoth is just overkill. As a side-bonus, mode switching in-flight will allow you to emit a plume of elephants, instead of fire. :wink:

Good idea on both counts :)

The Saturn V burns 4887.5L fuel per second. Density of the used fuel is about 1.2kg /L of fuel so 5865 kg/s. An average elephant weighs 4309kg so that results at 1.36 Elephants per second. 

This is awesome. 

Since we now been given a Kerbin sized engine. I wonder how heavy the elephants really are on Kerbin?

I wonder what other units of measurement we could have. Scott Manley's twinkie scale video and now elephant exhaust. What is next. The pirate ninja mod?

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

My post on the KSP subreddit ""Elephants per second" should become a new measure of engine effectiveness. " has generated a lot of great comments. Some of my favorites:

• " Metric elephants or imperial elephants? "
  • " For every elephant, there is an equal and opposite elephant. "
  • " It would have to be in elephants/(m/s)2 "
  • " Wouldn't that be Esp, or Specific Elephants? "

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Speadge said:

Is there a reason for this thread to be sticky?

Thread of the Month for June and @sal_vager hasn't gotten around to updating for July yet.

EDIT: Or maybe it's for July and the title got messed up.  I'm not real sure but here is the thread.

EDIT 2: Or based on the last few, maybe it's the threads of the past month I guess.

Edited by Alshain

On 7/3/2016 at 10:54 PM, Dfthu said:

I don't get it.

What do you not get?  It's an engine with 3/4 the power of the Mammoth (or 3x the power of the Vector).  It fills a niche that no stock engine does.

The elephants coming out of the engine is just an Easter egg/Joke and can be turned off to behave like a normal engine.

Edited by Alshain

On 7/3/2016 at 11:54 PM, Dfthu said:

I don't get it.

8 hours ago, Alshain said:

What do you not get?  It's an engine with 3/4 the power of the Mammoth (or 3x the power of the Vector).  It fills a niche that no stock engine does.

The elephants coming out of the engine is just an Easter egg/Joke and can be turned off to behave like a normal engine.

Yep, and it's also a joke reference to the "elephants per second" visual of fuel consumption rate:

4 hours ago, DomiKamu said:

I don't understand why this topic is pinned...

"Thread of the month" selection.

On 07/05/2016 at 11:11 PM, NecroBones said:

My post on the KSP subreddit ""Elephants per second" should become a new measure of engine effectiveness. " has generated a lot of great comments. Some of my favorites:

• " Metric elephants or imperial elephants? "
  • " For every elephant, there is an equal and opposite elephant. "
  • " It would have to be in elephants/(m/s)2 "
  • " Wouldn't that be Esp, or Specific Elephants? "

My question is how many dumbos of thrust does it produce?

I get the engine layout and its a great idea. I do not want to discourage anyone building great mods for KSP but I find the elephants coming out of the engine sadistic at best.

The "Easter Egg" or point could have been proved with Reliant Robins full of Cherry Pies without going into animal cruelty for an endangered species.

Please do not get discouraged or upset. Love the engine, dislike the animal cruelty joke.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.