[1.11] RemoteTech v1.9.9 [2020-12-19]

2 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Hi,

We can't reproduce this bug as it is verified that the command queue is correctly persistent across different scenes, included the scene order outlined in your reproduction steps. Can you check on your side again, please? In addition, post your output_log.txt for quick checking on information. (One member thought that one of your mods may malfunction in OnSave(), preventing your command queue from being stored to your save when switching the scene.)

Ok, I've retested. If you exit out to the main menu and re-open the game that way it persists.

If you close the game by clicking the red x at the right hand corner and re-open the game, it does not persist.

I don't think I was clear on that in my initial report. If you fail to reproduce again, I'll assume it's a mod interaction and do a binary search on the 40 or so mods I have installed to find the one that's interacting badly.

Edit: I just realized that it might also be that you can't trigger a save handler on the red x being clicked. If so I'll just start properly closing out instead of closing the application!
Edited by nixeagle

13 hours ago, nixeagle said:

Ok, I've retested. If you exit out to the main menu and re-open the game that way it persists.

If you close the game by clicking the red x at the right hand corner and re-open the game, it does not persist.

I don't think I was clear on that in my initial report. If you fail to reproduce again, I'll assume it's a mod interaction and do a binary search on the 40 or so mods I have installed to find the one that's interacting badly.

Edit: I just realized that it might also be that you can't trigger a save handler on the red x being clicked. If so I'll just start properly closing out instead of closing the application!

According to Unity documentation (1) (2), there is the OnApplicationQuit handler but it is not consistent across multiple platforms (like Xbox, PS). Moreover, the official KSP API documentation does not have any kind handler for the application quit and the closest thing is GameEvents.onGameStateSave. For these reasons, the save handler on the exit/quit button (the brown button/menu button) inside KSP is preferred by Squad and mod developers.

P.S. you can still kill your KSP quickly by clicking the "Quit to menu" button of menu from the flight scene and then the red x button. KSP will do its usual closing action on this "Quit to menu".

(Correct me if I am wrong on some details)

Edited by TaxiService

Spoiler

Just gonna put I'm a request for this to be downloadable as a stock parts pack as well as its own mod in future. If possible. I will most likely go back to remotetech at some point but currently playing with the new stock comm system and I miss all my extra antenna. Thanks folks.

Don't know how I put in a spoiler... on my phone.

22 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Thanks for the uploading your GameData of 130+ mods (!). I gave it a go and found some results on different configurations of parts

Hide contents

mXhf30I.jpg

8FhGNx6.jpg

0cc4kbR.jpg

As you can see from the screenshots (pardon the null-exception spam), I can toggle and command RCS on stock parts. However, not every third-party part can be work with RemoteTech (RSC parts do nothing or a probe ignores the RCS press) because they are either not patched or using different ways other than RemoteTech. 

I think the workaround for you is to use the stock parts as much as possible while enjoying your rich library of mods.

Let me think more about this implication of such many third-party mods, in which some mods are so old or not patched for RT.

(For those who are curious on the effect of the 130+ mods on my middle-end computer, see below)

Hide contents
  • Tested on KSP 1.2.2 and RT develop branch
  • The squad-monkey loading screen lasted over 10 mins
  • Switching between scenes took 1 minute
  • 2.5 to 4 Gb RAM was observed when playing KSP at various scenes
  • Endless stream of errors (like NullReferenceException and part not found)
  • Congratulation, you made my 2016-built computer sluggish for the first time and I even got a driver crash
  • 2.52 Gb of mods in space
  • It is a miracle that KSP didn't freak out or crash

Uff, I'm sorry I have a beast computer and it never occured to me that some people's computers are not as bad ass as mine, I am really sorry for all the trouble you had to go through, but something is making me confused because even with the stock rsc, there was the problem of the rcs not being activated using the keyboard , I mean I had all the stock parts from prob core to mono tanks and rcs truster but the R key was not making the rsc light go green, that is what i was looking to solve. but if it worked for you, then it only means I did something stupid. again, thanks for the time and effort you put into this and I', sorry for my stupidness of pushing your computer to it's limits :blush: .

22 hours ago, nixeagle said:

many things won't be persistent when you close the game like that, alternatively if you use alt+f4 you get the same problem simply because the game won't continuously serialize the serializable game data to keep everything on the next round.

2 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

Uff, I'm sorry I have a beast computer and it never occured to me that some people's computers are not as bad ass as mine, I am really sorry for all the trouble you had to go through, but something is making me confused because even with the stock rsc, there was the problem of the rcs not being activated using the keyboard , I mean I had all the stock parts from prob core to mono tanks and rcs truster but the R key was not making the rsc light go green, that is what i was looking to solve. but if it worked for you, then it only means I did something stupid. again, thanks for the time and effort you put into this and I', sorry for my stupidness of pushing your computer to it's limits :blush: .

By any chance, can you tell me what antennas you used in your tests? I notice some of third-party antennas don't set up a connection with your probe (CommNet's red satellite icon, despite RT's connected status). This prevents the R pressing.

(No problem, it didn't damage my computer in any way)

1 hour ago, TaxiService said:

By any chance, can you tell me what antennas you used in your tests? I notice some of third-party antennas don't set up a connection with your probe (CommNet's red satellite icon, despite RT's connected status). This prevents the R pressing.

(No problem, it didn't damage my computer in any way)

Ufff, don't laugh at me ok? I'm a donkey, in my test play game I was trying my own mod's prob core, and when i found that rcs was not getting activated I went and removed RT and stupidly enough I tried it on stock and I jumped the gun.

Never came to my brain to take a look at your new version's MM patches for prob core, thinking that it would stay the same ! That is what would happen when a 40 years old medical doctor (me) attempts developing parts as a mod for ksp!!!

Again, I'm sorry for taking your time and it's all working ok now.

Do you plan to make the antennas communication range dependent on both antennas, eg antenna A has range 20Mm, antenna B has range 50Gm, so they would be able to communicate up to eg. 1Gm?

About the antennas ranges, there are 20Mm, 50Mm, 90Mm, 200Mm and then 10Gm, so the range grows slowly up to 200Mm and then fast and there is a big gap between 200Mm and 10Gm. I'd suggest increasing the 200Mm to 500Mm, because I play with Real Solar System and the Moon is 400Mm away and I have to unlock the 10Gm antenna to send probes to the Moon and the 90Mm, and 200Mm antennas are useless for me. This would be solved if connection range dependet on both antennas, because on Earth thera are even > 1Tm antennas

Edited by raptor_xxl

3 hours ago, crapstar said:

Hi RT-Devs,

Do you guys think the latest version of RT-Complete is ready for some pre-alpha testing? I had some time over the upcoming weekend, figured I could help you guys test. Let me/us know.

Thanks

No, it is missing many major features and there are still large gaps to fill up. Come back in a few months and poke again.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:02 AM, TaxiService said:

This DP-10 part will be dropped from the part package of RT 2.x. We are not making it hidden from the part list in VAB/SPA for the RT 2.x branch because RT 2.x is completely incompatible with the RT 1.x saves.

Two observations (requests?) for the RT 2.0 parts:

1. There are two parabolic antennas that are already "soft-deprecated" and nobody is using them probably since before KSP 0.23. These can be safely removed:

• Reflectron LL-5 (RTLongDish1)
  • Reflectron SS-5 (RTShortDish1)

2. The new stock antennas can fill the gaps of RT and/or replace some old ones. Copies of the stock parts (like the Communotron 32) could also be used.

7 minutes ago, crapstar said:

Wait really few months?

Yup, RemoteTech 1.x codebase is over 6,000 in code lines and 130 classes (according to VS's Code Metric Results), contributed by 82 members since its birth in early 2013. This mod is easily large enough to classify as a moderate software project on own. It isn't something a simple mod can be cleaned up in a few weeks.

6 hours ago, TaxiService said:

RemoteTech 1.x codebase is over 6,000 in code lines and 130 classes (according to VS's Code Metric Results), contributed by 82 members since its birth in early 2013. This mod is easily large enough to classify as a moderate software project on own.

So will there be a lot of optimization/cleanup, and possibly modularization done for 2.0? At last one benefit might be easier/quicker updates to the mod? lol

8 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Two observations (requests?) for the RT 2.0 parts:

1. There are two parabolic antennas that are already "soft-deprecated" and nobody is using them probably since before KSP 0.23. These can be safely removed:

• Reflectron LL-5 (RTLongDish1)
  • Reflectron SS-5 (RTShortDish1)

2. The new stock antennas can fill the gaps of RT and/or replace some old ones. Copies of the stock parts (like the Communotron 32) could also be used.

Why are these parts out of use? I've got several attached to my vessels right now -- I assumed the fact that they didn't show up in the main communications tab in the VAB was a bug, since they're still on the tech tree and listed elsewhere in the parts menu. At least on the tech tree I'm using, they're the best options available for interplanetary communications when they're first unlocked.

7 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Yup, RemoteTech 1.x codebase is over 6,000 in code lines and 130 classes (according to VS's Code Metric Results), contributed by 82 members since its birth in early 2013. This mod is easily large enough to classify as a moderate software project on own. It isn't something a simple mod can be cleaned up in a few weeks.

Much respect to devs.

49 minutes ago, billybob579 said:

Why are these parts out of use? I've got several attached to my vessels right now -- I assumed the fact that they didn't show up in the main communications tab in the VAB was a bug, since they're still on the tech tree and listed elsewhere in the parts menu. At least on the tech tree I'm using, they're the best options available for interplanetary communications when they're first unlocked.

KRm28Pm.png

DOH! The new editor in KSP 1.1 and later reveals the soft-deprecated antennas by searching for RT modules though they are not found in the stock tech tree. They are going to be gone in RT 2.0.

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

So will there be a lot of optimization/cleanup, and possibly modularization done for 2.0? At last one benefit might be easier/quicker updates to the mod? lol

RT 1.8 codebase was already broken up into the separate modules of RT 2.0. At this point, we are writing "updated" codes over some old codes dated to very early KSP versions, and throwing out the classes/codes that are made redundant by CommNet. Some of us are investigating the new toys in KSP 1.1/1.2 such as DialogGUI components and ScenarioModule

Edited by TaxiService

On 31/12/2016 at 9:26 AM, TaxiService said:

No, it is missing many major features and there are still large gaps to fill up. Come back in a few months and poke again.

Just asking, as this is my last -must have mod missing- which is still preventing me to play the game. what I am waiting for is the full signal integration (or whatever you call it)

Should we consider the current version somehow complete, or isn't anything relevant coming in the next months?

Edited by Bersagliere81

31 minutes ago, Bersagliere81 said:

Just asking, as this is my last -must have mod missing- which is still preventing me to play the game. what I am waiting for is the full signal integration (or whatever you call it)

Should we consider the current version somehow complete, or isn't anything relevant coming in the next months?

What do you mean by "full signal integration"? RemoteTech 1.8's signal was fully integrated into CommNet?

Edit: I need to go now. RT 1.8.3 (current version) remains isolated like in KSP 1.1 and earlier. No integration into CommNet in any way (except for the stock antennas being usable for RT).

Edited by TaxiService

51 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

What do you mean by "full signal integration"? RemoteTech 1.8's signal was fully integrated into CommNet?

Edit: I need to go now. RT 1.8.3 (current version) remains isolated like in KSP 1.1 and earlier. No integration into CommNet in any way (except for the stock antennas being usable for RT).

Yes sorry I meant CommNet integration