[1.11] RemoteTech v1.9.9 [2020-12-19]

On 2/6/2021 at 12:31 AM, Tacombel said:

Hi, all

Trying to understand this part of the autopilot.

dmg94PG.png

HBNT deactivates all antennas, but do they come back alone? Or should I program a WAKE in the future when I want them back and then hibernate? Is there any difference with deactivating the antennas manually?

The antennas deactivated by HBNT won't activate automatically unless WAKE is scheduled in future to activate the antennas again. 

Do note WAKE will only target the antennas deactivated by HBNT. If you try WAKE the antenna that you manually deactivate, it won't be activated.

I am not sure if you are aware of the THLD function. THLD will put the vessel in special power mode where the antennas will automatically deactivate if vessel battery falls too low, and activate if vessel battery is charged enough.

wFNcM7i.png

On 2/6/2021 at 3:40 AM, Messeno said:

hi currently I play in 1.10 and I have 90 mods installed, the remote tech causes me a strong lowering of fps, then the mod exception detector signals me numerous error , do you know how to solve? I attach screen

Hi, please provide Player.log, per log guidelines for investigation.

RT interface of signal delay and flight computer button is not in your screenshot. RT 1.9.9 and 1.9.10 are for KSP 1.11 due to the new morning sun wrap button.

21 hours ago, Tacombel said:

May I suggest a quality of life improvement? I frequently find myself temporarily without a connection. It would be great if RemoteTech stopped warp when a connection is found.

Sure, a new similar setting for time wrap stop on reconnection will be added in Misc section of RT options. I need some time to implement it.

T0Gm6Sk.png

Edited by TaxiService

22 hours ago, TaxiService said:

The antennas deactivated by HBNT won't activate automatically unless WAKE is scheduled in future to activate the antennas again. 

Do note WAKE will only target the antennas deactivated by HBNT. If you try WAKE the antenna that you manually deactivate, it won't be activated.

I am not sure if you are aware of the THLD function. THLD will put the vessel in special power mode where the antennas will automatically deactivate if vessel battery falls too low, and activate if vessel battery is charged enough.

wFNcM7i.png

Hi, please provide Player.log, per log guidelines for investigation.

RT interface of signal delay and flight computer button is not in your screenshot. RT 1.9.9 and 1.9.10 are for KSP 1.11 due to the new morning sun wrap button.

Sure, a new similar setting for time wrap stop on reconnection will be added in Misc section of RT options. I need some time to implement it.

T0Gm6Sk.png

ok I managed to solve the fps bug by reinstalling all the mods, but now the problem is that the mod buttons do not appear in the gui since I have the game in 1.9 how can I do to solve?

On 2/8/2021 at 8:16 PM, Messeno said:

ok I managed to solve the fps bug by reinstalling all the mods, but now the problem is that the mod buttons do not appear in the gui since I have the game in 1.9 how can I do to solve?

In this case, please provide Player.log, per log guidelines for investigation.

KSP being 1.9 far from 1.11 could mean anything and I request for this log to analyse.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, TaxiService said:

In this case, please provide Player.log, per log guidelines for investigation.

KSP being 1.9 far from 1.11 could mean anything and I request for this log to analyse.

Thanks!

https://we.tl/t-8LbxTrkL1m :::::::: https://we.tl/t-mZ0TdCTtH9

ok then the first file is the player.log the second and the log file of the mod ExceptionDetectorUpdated, I hope they can be useful

On 2/9/2021 at 11:17 PM, Tacombel said:

kMG4iPe.png

Shouldn't it be "Planets and moons will not block a signal"?

Correct, the statement is actually interactive depending on the checkbox. It will be "Planets and moons will not block a signal" if it is ticked. Otherwise, it will be "Planets and moons will block a signal".

On 2/10/2021 at 3:45 AM, Messeno said:

https://we.tl/t-8LbxTrkL1m :::::::: https://we.tl/t-mZ0TdCTtH9

ok then the first file is the player.log the second and the log file of the mod ExceptionDetectorUpdated, I hope they can be useful

Thanks for the logs.

According to the logs, RemoteTech version in your KSP 1.9 is 1.9.10 for KSP 1.11. The errors are because of KSP 1.11 interface changes that not in KSP 1.9

You will need to use RemoteTech 1.9.6 for KSP 1.9 (linky)

I know that it's a known fact that Kerbalism and RemoteTech don't play nice together (to the point where Kerbalism throws a warning when both are installed), but RT's path algorithm is causing me some heartache when transmitting science over long distances. RT's dish-coverage code is making it pick the weaker Dish-to-DSN-Omni link past a certain distance, rather than the stronger Dish-to-local-Dish-to-DSN-Omni connection. Is this because it's trying to pick the fastest path? And if so, shouldn't pointing a dish at a spacecraft ALWAYS prefer that spacecraft if possible?

Normally I'd blame this on Kerbalism since it's the mod with an interaction, but I know that RT supports multiple control paths and it's clearly displaying the active path as a direct connection to the DSN. If RT simply has an array of connections and Kerbalism is picking the first on in that array, is it possible to have the array in a different order while still preserving the fastest-path for control? It'd be nice if it ordered it by signal strength when Kerbalism was installed, but just having the active target at the front of the list if possible should "solve" the issue.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:51 AM, Tahvohck said:

I know that it's a known fact that Kerbalism and RemoteTech don't play nice together (to the point where Kerbalism throws a warning when both are installed), but RT's path algorithm is causing me some heartache when transmitting science over long distances. RT's dish-coverage code is making it pick the weaker Dish-to-DSN-Omni link past a certain distance, rather than the stronger Dish-to-local-Dish-to-DSN-Omni connection. Is this because it's trying to pick the fastest path? And if so, shouldn't pointing a dish at a spacecraft ALWAYS prefer that spacecraft if possible?

Normally I'd blame this on Kerbalism since it's the mod with an interaction, but I know that RT supports multiple control paths and it's clearly displaying the active path as a direct connection to the DSN. If RT simply has an array of connections and Kerbalism is picking the first on in that array, is it possible to have the array in a different order while still preserving the fastest-path for control? It'd be nice if it ordered it by signal strength when Kerbalism was installed, but just having the active target at the front of the list if possible should "solve" the issue.

Hi,

RemoteTech pathfinding logic will find the shortest path among all possible paths from a destination to source, even if there is a better but longer link. This problem is complicated by the fact that all links are on same plane regardless of vessel purposes.

Also, link power (signal strength) is not considered by RemoteTech which just looks at the distance if I understand your description correctly.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:47 AM, TaxiService said:

Hi,

RemoteTech pathfinding logic will find the shortest path among all possible paths from a destination to source, even if there is a better but longer link. This problem is complicated by the fact that all links are on same plane regardless of vessel purposes.

Also, link power (signal strength) is not considered by RemoteTech which just looks at the distance if I understand your description correctly.

Right, but it knows about the other paths, right? How does it translate the list into the shortest path? (A link to the spot in the code that does this would be enough). I assume it's sorting some sort of List/Array structure by total distance and then taking whatever is at index 0, vs finding the index of the shortest path.

And yeah, it wouldn't know anything about link power without some sort of (hard?) bind into Kerbalism which would be a significant amount of work; with Kerbalism 4.0 in the works it probably would be a bad idea to add that feature at this time anyway. I was mentioning that as more of an ideal solution, with the fallback of putting the user-selected link first in the list of links as a more practical one.

18 hours ago, Tahvohck said:

Right, but it knows about the other paths, right? How does it translate the list into the shortest path? (A link to the spot in the code that does this would be enough). I assume it's sorting some sort of List/Array structure by total distance and then taking whatever is at index 0, vs finding the index of the shortest path.

And yeah, it wouldn't know anything about link power without some sort of (hard?) bind into Kerbalism which would be a significant amount of work; with Kerbalism 4.0 in the works it probably would be a bad idea to add that feature at this time anyway. I was mentioning that as more of an ideal solution, with the fallback of putting the user-selected link first in the list of links as a more practical one.

Based on the codebase (link), each vessel has  a sorted list of all valid paths, which is sorted in ascending by path length. Generally, RemoteTech will take the first path from this sorted list as working connection. I saw few code sets using conditions to select a path from the list, not necessarily the shortest path.

By the way, I think you should be interested to know that each antenna of a vessel has own process (link) of transmitting science data, based on science packet size, interval and cost. Basically, if you click "Transmit all science" button in Part Action Menu of one antenna with the strongest data properties, RemoteTech will run it based on those antenna data properties.

Last time I checked, it had been decided that Kerbalism would eventually implement its own CommNet functionality, phasing out the RemoteTech dependancy.

Edited by TaxiService

27 minutes ago, Bodo said:

I have two sats with identical 88-88's.  The one around Kerbin shows OK when I point at the one headed to Moho.  The one headed to Moho cannot communicate back to the sat around Kerbin.  There is no intervening body.  What gives?

https://imgur.com/a/xslYPIw

Probably the cone of the 88-88 at Kerbin is not wide enough to cover the whole orbit of your comsats. Check the width of it in the target selection screen. The 6.37Mm in this example need to cover the whole comsat orbit

ZXtZYfQ.png

Edit: If you are doing point to point com this does not apply, only if pointing to the planets.

Edited by Tacombel

20 hours ago, Tacombel said:

Probably the cone of the 88-88 at Kerbin is not wide enough to cover the whole orbit of your comsats. Check the width of it in the target selection screen. The 6.37Mm in this example need to cover the whole comsat orbit

ZXtZYfQ.png

Edit: If you are doing point to point com this does not apply, only if pointing to the planets.

Ya, it's point to point.

56 minutes ago, Bodo said:

Yes, because that's where the other Comsat is.  The coverage of the dish should see it and Kerbin.  Right?

The problem is that if you are using an antenna with a narrow cone, it is not wide enough to cover the whole target orbit, only an area in the center. So, if the receptor is to the right or left the emissor can't "see" it. Check my previous explanation. 

If you want a point to point link you need to select the target satellite at both sides of the link. 

On 2/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, TaxiService said:

Based on the codebase (link), each vessel has  a sorted list of all valid paths, which is sorted in ascending by path length. Generally, RemoteTech will take the first path from this sorted list as working connection. I saw few code sets using conditions to select a path from the list, not necessarily the shortest path.

By the way, I think you should be interested to know that each antenna of a vessel has own process (link) of transmitting science data, based on science packet size, interval and cost. Basically, if you click "Transmit all science" button in Part Action Menu of one antenna with the strongest data properties, RemoteTech will run it based on those antenna data properties.

Last time I checked, it had been decided that Kerbalism would eventually implement its own CommNet functionality, phasing out the RemoteTech dependancy.

Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I'm looking for. It's doing more or less what I expected too, but I noticed - it looks like it's updating the cache every physics frame. Isn't that a little too aggressive?

The fact that each antenna has a method of transmitting data is pretty neat too, but with how Kerbalism overhauls science results and transmission (some experiments taking ingame weeks to run) it probably doesn't help as much as it could.

And I hadn't actually heard that it was going to implement its own CommNet! From what I'd seen it was actually just supporting RealAntennas more explicitly instead, with some form of updated RT support possible in 4.0. If it does roll its own CommNet, I hope it's at least as good as RT/RA.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, another use case :cool:

I usually keep my satellites towards the sun, orienting them with mechjeb, and keeping it with SAS and persistent rotation, but I think I can't program this in the flight computer? Perhaps a point towards the sun would be enough, concatenated with SAS activation so persistent rotation takes over? 

Thx

4 hours ago, Tacombel said:

Hi, another use case :cool:

I usually keep my satellites towards the sun, orienting them with mechjeb, and keeping it with SAS and persistent rotation, but I think I can't program this in the flight computer? Perhaps a point towards the sun would be enough, concatenated with SAS activation so persistent rotation takes over? 

Thx

I haven't played with RT for a while, but I keep tracking this mod and I did not notice anything in change log regarding behaviour, how it is used. But, it was never requirement to phyisically rotate whole craft(antenna) toward certain SOI or other craft, for communication. It would be impossible to maintain rotation of all crafts in game, because most of them are not even loaded in memory(crafts on other SOI, for example).

You just need to select on antenna where it is "pointed" to establish communication and mod will do "magic" calculation in background if it is possible to establish communication or not. Slightly less immersive, but within game liminations to calculate things in simple way like that.

Just now, kcs123 said:

I haven't played with RT for a while, but I keep tracking this mod and I did not notice anything in change log regarding behaviour, how it is used. But, it was never requirement to phyisically rotate whole craft(antenna) toward certain SOI or other craft, for communication. It would be impossible to maintain rotation of all crafts in game, because most of them are not even loaded in memory(crafts on other SOI, for example).

You just need to select on antenna where it is "pointed" to establish communication and mod will do "magic" calculation in background if it is possible to establish communication or not. Slightly less immersive, but within game liminations to calculate things in simple way like that.

It is not the antenna what needs to be pointed somewhere, but the solar panels. And there is a mod that keeps all ships oriented, persistent rotation. What is not clear/possible is to make persistent rotation keep your orientation after a maneuver when there is no connection.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:39 PM, Tacombel said:

It is not the antenna what needs to be pointed somewhere, but the solar panels. And there is a mod that keeps all ships oriented, persistent rotation. What is not clear/possible is to make persistent rotation keep your orientation after a maneuver when there is no connection.

Ah, sorry, I have missinterprated your question. I don't know about other mods, I use kOS scripts for such purposes. I prefer to write my own autopilot scripts over "all in one" solutions offered by other mods. It was not most advanced things that can be found on internet, but it does job reasonable good enough, to automate a lot of tedious things and I always learn something new when upgrading/updating my own scripts.

Edited by kcs123
typos found