[1.11] RemoteTech v1.9.9 [2020-12-19]

On 8/25/2018 at 2:58 AM, Tested&Launched said:

Hi all - am new to Remote Tech but have a basic question - doesn't stock KSP already require a link to KSC in order to control unmanned probes? Just saying because the description on p1 for this mod says " It does this by requiring unmanned vessels have a connection to Kerbal Space Center (KSC) to be able to be controlled. "  What does RemoteTech do that stock KSP doesn't? Does it take into account signal (speed of c) lag? What am I missing?

Hi, RemoteTech has harder and more realistic requirements over stock KSP on probe controls and operations. For example, probes have Flight Computer to automate operations (less capable than MechJeb mod) when out of signal range. Or signals are delayed by light speed. It even has functionalities of automated rover driving and power managements.

You can discover more by exploring RemoteTech's functions in gameplay.

On 8/29/2018 at 10:11 PM, Tacombel said:

Hi, all:

There is something I quite not understand. I have a station orbiting duna. This station is connected to Kerbin with a 88-88, but when I try to connect a probe to Kerbin using the station as relay, I can't get it working. It doesn't matter if the probe is in omni range (Communotron 32 on both ships) or if I try to establish a point to point link with a dish like the DTS. The probe antenna says connected, but there is no control.

There is no pilot on the station, if that matters.

Thx in advance.

I think it may be one of multiple factors on why your probe won't be controlled but more details is needed. Does it has a probe core?

Alternatively, can take a look at the online manual on the control relaying.

On 8/30/2018 at 9:48 AM, petlahk said:

Hello. I've been playing KSP for a while now and using remote tech for about as long.

I vastly prefer remote tech to the default comm network but it seems to just be completely borked in newer versions. When the remote tech thing says I don't have connection, for example, the ship is still completely controllable in every way despite being out of range. I even tried turning off all antennas then trying. I just turned off the Antenna controllable without connection cheat too, and the ship is still completely controllable. When I'm behind a moon, It's also still completely controllable.

And no, this probe doesn't have SETI probe parts on it.

And yes, I am using KSP 1.4.5.2243.

Issues similar to this have been in remote tech for a *long* time. Please fix them.

Does you have the SETI ProbeControlEnabler installed? It enables probes to be controlled without connections. It is the common root cause behind controllable probes without connections.

18 hours ago, TaxiService said:

I think it may be one of multiple factors on why your probe won't be controlled but more details is needed. Does it has a probe core?

I am not quite sure, because I destroyed the offending probe, but just sent a new one and it works, so probably it was missing the probe core.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:44 AM, TaxiService said:

Does you have the SETI ProbeControlEnabler installed? It enables probes to be controlled without connections. It is the common root cause behind controllable probes without connections.

No, I do not.

I know that that is a root issue so I tried remote tech many different ways. I tried it without SETI probe parts and without the probe control installed. It just doesn't work. It's completely broken at this point.

2 hours ago, petlahk said:

I know that that is a root issue so I tried remote tech many different ways. I tried it without SETI probe parts and without the probe control installed. It just doesn't work. It's completely broken at this point.

@petlahk, if you could follow the link after the red text in my signature, do some of the troubleshooting there, maybe provide some screenshots of the craft, but definitely post your logs, a save file, and the .craft file, it could really help to track down what's the issue.

I've dealt with interacting mods in the past and without that level of detail of what's going on in your install, it's almost impossible to determine most faults.

Edited by Jacke

Not sure what's going on, but RT seems to be working fine, except in the map views, the buttons in the lower right corner are blank. The triangular edge of the RT button bar shows, but it's blank/black. Latest version, 1.4.5

9 hours ago, dlrk said:

Not sure what's going on, but RT seems to be working fine, except in the map views, the buttons in the lower right corner are blank. The triangular edge of the RT button bar shows, but it's blank/black. Latest version, 1.4.5

Got any texture reduction/saving mod installed? It messes with texture files that RT can't read post-loading.

22 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Why is it a 40gm antenna cant talk to a 10gm antenna? If one can send the downlink signal far enough why cant the lesser antenna simply receive the signal despite its uplink range?

I'd imagine that even for a downlink, the vessel would still need to know when the receiver is ready for data and that transmission was successful so it can delete the data. Stuff like that.

I installed this to try it but for some reason antennas are not recognised, I put all 3 starter ones on a probe to test it and the engineer report tells me no antennas attached and if I go to launch I have a "no connection" near flight computer icon. I have batteries etc on craft. Is there some weird obvious toggle I am missing or setting I have missed? 

On 9/6/2018 at 10:19 AM, Motokid600 said:

Why is it a 40gm antenna cant talk to a 10gm antenna? If one can send the downlink signal far enough why cant the lesser antenna simply receive the signal despite its uplink range?

Under the default range model, Standard, the maximum distance between two antennas is the smaller range. If you want the more realistic range mode (square root) you can select Root in RT Options window at KSC scene.

zEwIHh8.png

21 hours ago, Weavetoucher said:

I installed this to try it but for some reason antennas are not recognised, I put all 3 starter ones on a probe to test it and the engineer report tells me no antennas attached and if I go to launch I have a "no connection" near flight computer icon. I have batteries etc on craft. Is there some weird obvious toggle I am missing or setting I have missed? 

Please provide a screenshot of your craft and output_log.txt from %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt to troubleshoot.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:20 AM, TaxiService said:

Under the default range model, Standard, the maximum distance between two antennas is the smaller range. If you want the more realistic range mode (square root) you can select Root in RT Options window at KSC scene.

zEwIHh8.png

Please provide a screenshot of your craft and output_log.txt from %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt to troubleshoot.

Thank you for the reply. I deleted a couple of rocket parts and antenna parts packs and it resolved the issue. 

23 hours ago, Xylenox said:

Is there any way to modify the number of perhaps required to remote control a probe?

The number of kerbals in a command station to remote control?

If so, edit the variable in RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg in GameDate/RemoteTech folder.

@PART[probeStackLarge]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
	%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
		%IsRTCommandStation = true
		%RTCommandMinCrew = 6 // here's the number
	}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive]	{
		%TechRequired = unmannedTech
		%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}
}

Having a strange RT behavior on 1.3.1 RO/Rp1. Twitch clip from yesterday's stream

What's happening is that even when I have Mechjeb's SAS turned off, RT goes spastic and won't move or reorient the craft. Even when I'm not already pointed at the node, and tell RT to "exec" or simply point to node, it won't do anything and will spaz out in the exact same way. 

Anyone know why?

14 minutes ago, sjsharks39 said:

Having a strange RT behavior on 1.3.1 RO/Rp1. Twitch clip from yesterday's stream

What's happening is that even when I have Mechjeb's SAS turned off, RT goes spastic and won't move or reorient the craft. Even when I'm not already pointed at the node, and tell RT to "exec" or simply point to node, it won't do anything and will spaz out in the exact same way. 

Anyone know why?

Huh, it looks like the rare long-standing bug of a vessel ignoring torque rotation. In my experience, this bug usually persists only in current session i.e. saving and reloading scene will fix it.

Can you check back in the flight session again?

On 9/17/2018 at 7:03 AM, TaxiService said:

Huh, it looks like the rare long-standing bug of a vessel ignoring torque rotation. In my experience, this bug usually persists only in current session i.e. saving and reloading scene will fix it.

Can you check back in the flight session again?

Will give this a shot and reply back before I head to work, but won't be able to revisit it until tonight. I'll edit this reply with what I find before I head off to work. Also---could it be an issue with compatibility with Persistent Rotation?

edit: Seems okay-ish now. F5/F9 kinda fixes it sometimes. next attempt will remove PR and see what it does but I'll make a new reply for that.

Edited by sjsharks39

21 hours ago, sjsharks39 said:

Will give this a shot and reply back before I head to work, but won't be able to revisit it until tonight. I'll edit this reply with what I find before I head off to work. Also---could it be an issue with compatibility with Persistent Rotation?

It could be Persistent Rotation as we have an ancient issue on this. PR hadn't been updated for a long time until recent.

You can try without PR after rechecking the flight scene.

Has anyone else encountered problems wherein remote tech disagrees with *itself* about whether or not you have a connection on which to send manual controls?

These pieces of evidence indicate Remote Tech thinks I have a connection:

- There is a "green line" path drawn on the map from the vessel, through a hop, to the KSC.

- On the upper left of the screen, the indicator is green.  It does NOT say the red "no connection" text.

But these pieces of evidence indicate Remote Tech thinks I do NOT have a connection:

- Using manual WASD keys, or throttle shift/ctrl keys, does nothing (this is while the vessel is in orbit of Ceti (a moon of your homeworld in Galileo Planet Pack), where the speed delay for manual control should still noticeable but still be less than a second.

- Right-clicking a part and trying to do anything from its right-click menu, like taking a temperature reading for example, does nothing and gives the message on the screen, "no connection to send command on".

So... do I have a connection or don't I?  And if I don't, I have no clue what else I'm supposed to do to change this, given that I already have a green line path to home shown on the screen.

This vessel has kOS on it and I've had to resort to typing kOS commands manually at the terminal prompt to activate things like the thermometer to get around this (I don't think this is cheating, because this behaviour feels like a bug.  Given that I see a connection existing on the map, I don't think the controls are supposed to be getting locked out.)

But I admit to not knowing how RT "thinks" on the inside.

The only thing I've done that might be a problem is that I used ModuleManager to add RemoteTech's ModuleSPU to all the kOS CPU parts.  I did this because by default RemoteTech is incapable of calculating a path/delay to home for ships that have manned capsules instead of probe cores, and that the reason is because such vessels lack a ModuleSPU, and for manual gameplay you don't care if they have a connection home because they're manned.  But for kOS gameplay it matters because when kOS detects that you have RT installed, it defers to RT to use its API call HasConnectionToKSC () for the sake of deciding if it's allowed to copy files between home and the vessel.  When there's no ModuleSPU on the vessel, RT always answers that API call from other mods with a "no" whether that's really true or not.  So I added ModuleSPU to all kOS parts to fix this (which it did - now RT answers the API call HasConnectionToKSC () correctly when used on such a vessel).  But now I have the problem mentioned above and I have no clue if this caused it.

Note, the above adding ModuleSPU to all kOS parts was done to fix the problem "RT thinks I have no connection on manned capsules when I do", but that situation is NOT the case where I'm getting the problem mentioned above about the locked out controls.  The above problem with the locked out controls is happening on a more traditional probe-core based probe where the connection is needed to have manual control because there's no crew capsule on board.  I only mention this ModuleManager tweak, and why I added it,  to ask if it can cause a problem.

If you need more information, I can provide it, but I don't know what information you'd find useful yet until prompted.

Edited by Steven Mading

Spoiler
On 9/19/2018 at 4:27 AM, Steven Mading said:

Has anyone else encountered problems wherein remote tech disagrees with *itself* about whether or not you have a connection on which to send manual controls?

These pieces of evidence indicate Remote Tech thinks I have a connection:

- There is a "green line" path drawn on the map from the vessel, through a hop, to the KSC.

- On the upper left of the screen, the indicator is green.  It does NOT say the red "no connection" text.

But these pieces of evidence indicate Remote Tech thinks I do NOT have a connection:

- Using manual WASD keys, or throttle shift/ctrl keys, does nothing (this is while the vessel is in orbit of Ceti (a moon of your homeworld in Galileo Planet Pack), where the speed delay for manual control should still noticeable but still be less than a second.

- Right-clicking a part and trying to do anything from its right-click menu, like taking a temperature reading for example, does nothing and gives the message on the screen, "no connection to send command on".

So... do I have a connection or don't I?  And if I don't, I have no clue what else I'm supposed to do to change this, given that I already have a green line path to home shown on the screen.

This vessel has kOS on it and I've had to resort to typing kOS commands manually at the terminal prompt to activate things like the thermometer to get around this (I don't think this is cheating, because this behaviour feels like a bug.  Given that I see a connection existing on the map, I don't think the controls are supposed to be getting locked out.)

But I admit to not knowing how RT "thinks" on the inside.

The only thing I've done that might be a problem is that I used ModuleManager to add RemoteTech's ModuleSPU to all the kOS CPU parts.  I did this because by default RemoteTech is incapable of calculating a path/delay to home for ships that have manned capsules instead of probe cores, and that the reason is because such vessels lack a ModuleSPU, and for manual gameplay you don't care if they have a connection home because they're manned.  But for kOS gameplay it matters because when kOS detects that you have RT installed, it defers to RT to use its API call HasConnectionToKSC () for the sake of deciding if it's allowed to copy files between home and the vessel.  When there's no ModuleSPU on the vessel, RT always answers that API call from other mods with a "no" whether that's really true or not.  So I added ModuleSPU to all kOS parts to fix this (which it did - now RT answers the API call HasConnectionToKSC () correctly when used on such a vessel).  But now I have the problem mentioned above and I have no clue if this caused it.

Note, the above adding ModuleSPU to all kOS parts was done to fix the problem "RT thinks I have no connection on manned capsules when I do", but that situation is NOT the case where I'm getting the problem mentioned above about the locked out controls.  The above problem with the locked out controls is happening on a more traditional probe-core based probe where the connection is needed to have manual control because there's no crew capsule on board.  I only mention this ModuleManager tweak, and why I added it,  to ask if it can cause a problem.

If you need more information, I can provide it, but I don't know what information you'd find useful yet until prompted.

Hi, it is bits hard to determine why you have the connection problem from your description alone. Please help to provide a screenshot of your flight (with delay window visible), output_log.txt and the MM patch of adding RT ModuleSPU to kOS CPU parts.

I can try to reproduce this kOS patching on RT.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, TaxiService said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hi, it is bits hard to determine why you have the connection problem from your description alone. Please help to provide a screenshot of your flight (with delay window visible), output_log.txt and the MM patch of adding RT ModuleSPU to kOS CPU parts.

I can try to reproduce this kOS patching on RT.

Thanks.

Okay, but it may take a while to reproduce it.  It seems to happen inconsistently so it will have exteranous extra stuff going on in the output_log.txt, as I haven't been able to get it to happen on a simplified test run on demand.

By the way, what's this "delay window" that I should have visible?  Is it the RT flight computer?

13 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

Okay, but it may take a while to reproduce it.  It seems to happen inconsistently so it will have exteranous extra stuff going on in the output_log.txt, as I haven't been able to get it to happen on a simplified test run on demand.

By the way, what's this "delay window" that I should have visible?  Is it the RT flight computer?

Understood this problem is not always happening, it is okay to provide only output_log.tx first.

The delay window is this one below, plus your vessel in your screenshot.
6BQtzhK.png