[1.11] RemoteTech v1.9.9 [2020-12-19]

11 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Ah no, you miss out couple requirements for a manned command station. This vessel must have at least six kerbals and has the big probe core in order to qualify for a command station.

fVhZB8c.png

OK, so to sum up, my ship:

> Needs to have the RC unit
> Needs to have a crew pod capable of remote control (3-Kerbal capsule or 2-Kerbal lander can)
> Have relay antenna
> Have 6 crew, 2 out of which are pilots (one to operate the ship, the other to operate the probe)

Did I miss anything? ^^'

5 hours ago, Astraph said:

OK, so to sum up, my ship:

> Needs to have the RC unit
> Needs to have a crew pod capable of remote control (3-Kerbal capsule or 2-Kerbal lander can)
> Have relay antenna
> Have 6 crew, 2 out of which are pilots (one to operate the ship, the other to operate the probe)

Did I miss anything? ^^'

As far as I can tell in the codebase, there are no specific requirements on composite of min 6 crew. Could put full 6 scientists and it should work. Also, the RC unit is only required to function so any crew pod, such as the habitual module, is fine.

Other than these above, I don't think you miss anything.

10 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

When coupled with MechJeb it can do A LOT. Better to if you can think of it, you can probably do it. You can replicate the Voyager missions for example without having to have a connection. You could even send a probe to another star system if you're using Kerbal Star Systems (which I highly recommend). You should probably increase the number of your patched conics if you plan to do some complex maneuver sequences.

Okay, thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out today.

On 10/11/2017 at 4:38 AM, Akira_R said:

That is in essence what I am looking for yes.

Just to make sure, you are suggesting to add two buttons to the flight computer, one that shuts down the probecore and all antennas and one that reactivates them. This would allow you to set your time delay for some point in the future, click the wake up button to schedule a wake up call. Then clear the time delay and click the sleep button to put the probe into a super low power state.

If that is your plan then yes that is exactly how I envision this working, might not be a bad idea to have a big warning, or have the sleep command pop up a window saying "make sure to schedule wake up command BEFORE putting probe to sleep" with confirm and cancel buttons lol.

My thoughts here were that using the correct scheduling order, you could schedule shutting down the antenna, then schedule the hibernate. That way the probe antenna wouldn't be using any power. Scheduling the dehibernate and then antenna activation would resume normal comms (and normal power usage).

The two button method described would be more practical. Using only one command instead of scheduling four commands will make it much less likely to make a mistake and lose the probe.

Do I have your attention now? This is the modernised PID controller of RT but I need your help to test your vessels in a wide range of scenarios.

You can download the latest RT build and install. It is the same 1.8.8 with this PID update. If you find any problem with PID, please provide screenshot of your vessel and output_log.txt from folder KSP_x64_Data.

P.S. Please make a backup of your save first.

On 10/14/2017 at 5:14 PM, ItsSeanBroleson said:

Quick question: I'm trying to create a rocket with a first stage that lands similar to the Falcon 9, but when I plug a circularize maneuver into the second stage's flight computer, so that I can land the first stage manually, the second stage doesn't actually execute the maneuver. Do you have to be focused on the craft in order for the FC to execute planned nodes? If so, then, i'm pretty sure that makes a Falcon-esque first stage recovery impossible.

So, I actually stayed focused on my second stage until the FC took over and started the burn and sure enough when I switch back to the first stage, I see the second stage engine cut off in the distance, immediately. Is there anyway to have the FC execute a burn without being focused on it?

Unfortunately this would be hard to do, but not necessarily impossible. the only mod that I am aware of that allows non-focused vessels to be controlled is BDArmory, and that only works while the vessels are within physics range. RT could probably implement something similar, but would be a non trivial rewrite, and since the vessels have to be within physics range for such a feature to work it would be a heck of a lot of work to implement something that would only be useful in very specific circumstances it might not be worth the additional dev-time. But ultimately I am not a dev on RT so maybe they would consider it. Why don't you post an issue on the RT GitHUb requesting it so that they can see it?

2 hours ago, Akira_R said:

Unfortunately this would be hard to do, but not necessarily impossible. the only mod that I am aware of that allows non-focused vessels to be controlled is BDArmory, and that only works while the vessels are within physics range. RT could probably implement something similar, but would be a non trivial rewrite, and since the vessels have to be within physics range for such a feature to work it would be a heck of a lot of work to implement something that would only be useful in very specific circumstances it might not be worth the additional dev-time. But ultimately I am not a dev on RT so maybe they would consider it. Why don't you post an issue on the RT GitHUb requesting it so that they can see it?

One can also try FMRS, which I understand was created with this specific scenario in mind. Didn't use it much myself, though.

I am using the latest version of MJ and this is a new career. Flight computer WAS working in LKO up until now when I needed to execute a maneuver node with a high inclination and eccentricity.

THREE problems to report:

1. While using the flight computer, the probe did not align to the maneuver node when it was supposed to.

2. After I used Smart ASS to align to the maneuver prograde, the probe was jumping around the node during the burn.

3 When I lost comms connection, the burned stopped because of no connection. (which is not supposed to happen when using the flight computer.) I did not modify the the signal delay.

1bz4YnH.png

Here is a link to my output_log:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvUWxjgM4SuQhc5xKUi2MmgULM4N2A

Edited by Voodoo8648

7 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I am using the latest version of MJ and this is a new career. Flight computer WAS working in LKO up until now when I needed to execute a maneuver node with a high inclination and eccentricity.

THREE problems to report:

1. While using the flight computer, the probe did not align to the maneuver node when it was supposed to.

2. After I used Smart ASS to align to the maneuver prograde, the probe was jumping around the node during the burn.

3 When I lost comms connection, the burned stopped because of no connection. (which is not supposed to happen when using the flight computer.) I did not modify the the signal delay.

1bz4YnH.png

Here is a link to my output_log:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvUWxjgM4SuQhc5xKUi2MmgULM4N2A

You have maneuveur planned in 3 hours. Why is that an error?

Don't combine MJ and RT flight computer to hold bearing and execute maneuveurs. They will fight with each other.

So how do you you about landing on a body without an atmosphere in RT with signal delay enabled? Is it pretty much required to use KOS? Can the auto landing system of TCA be activated in the flight computer to perform the landing? Or do you just have to go real life, make a best guess and trial and error?

I've seen several videos showing it done with atmospheres and chutes, but not seen it on airless bodies. If anyone knows of any YouTube videos that show people doing airless RT landings, I'd love to have a watch.

Thanks

On 10/19/2017 at 12:33 AM, maja said:

You have maneuveur planned in 3 hours. Why is that an error?

Don't combine MJ and RT flight computer to hold bearing and execute maneuveurs. They will fight with each other.

I was not aware of the 3 hour delay in that. Thank you... The flight computer seems to be pointing toward the maneuver nodes now and it's not jumping around during burns... for now

I am experiencing a few more problems:

1. The Flight computer's time to node burn does not match Kerbal Engineer's "Time to Node Burn"..... RT's computer starts burning too late. I have signal delay turned OFF in the config.

VBtjnif.png

2. Upon execution of this 800 dV maneuver node, the engine starts to burn only for a split second but then immediately turns off. The flight computer indicated "the maneuver node has been removed". I have 100% electricity and sufficient fuel.

yes, the Tracking station is upgraded to Lvl 2...MJ should not have anything to do with the problems that I am experiencing. Im not using MJ to create or execute these simple maneuvers. I am relying on RT's flight computer to do the job. 

The readings at the top of my screen are from Kerbal Engineer by the way... not MJ.

5 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

yes, the Tracking station is upgraded to Lvl 2...MJ should not have anything to do with the problems that I am experiencing. Im not using MJ to create or execute these simple maneuvers. I am relying on RT's flight computer to do the job. 

The readings at the top of my screen are from Kerbal Engineer by the way... not MJ.

Eh, that was a typo. I meant to write KER :)

I don't know what KSP version are you using, but I don't have such problems with nodes in KSP 1.3 and RT 1.8.8, so I can't help you more. Maybe someone else can. I would test it in a clean install with RT only if I were you.

Hi all,

I release a second beta version of 1.8.8 with modernized PID controller and new power-saving commands. Since PID is changed so much and the power command has the potential of eternal sleep, I don't want to release a new official release to public yet without throughout testing and feedback.

2iPxrdm.pngC4tYvA6.png

If you find any problem with PID or power command, please provide screenshot of your vessel and output_log.txt from folder KSP_x64_Data.

P.S. Please make a backup of your save first.

Edited by TaxiService

Hi @TaxiService,

I was testing out the beta and I get this weird continuous rotation along the vessel's roll-axis after the onboard computer executes the maneuver and enables 'kill rotation'. I am not sure if even its a bug. Let me know if this is interesting to you.

Thanks.

Edited by crapstar

1 hour ago, crapstar said:

Hi @TaxiService,

I was testing out the beta and I get this weird continuous rotation along the vessel's roll-axis after the onboard computer executes the maneuver and enables 'kill rotation'. I am not sure if even its a bug. Let me know if this is interesting to you.

Thanks.

Yes, I am interested in this possible bug. Please provide the screenshot of your vessel (The parts influence the PID rotations greatly) and output_log.txt from KSP_x64_Data folder.

16 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Yes, I am interested in this possible bug. Please provide the screenshot of your vessel (The parts influence the PID rotations greatly) and output_log.txt from KSP_x64_Data folder.

Here you go:

https://imgur.com/a/1qHej

Log file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5SB-NbR0T_1ZUN0YmlibU02UTA/view?usp=sharing

Edited by crapstar

Hello again :) 

Why do I not have a signal as seen in this screenshot?

• I have the Antenna Range Multiplier set to 2 
  • The Multiple Antenna Range Multiplier is set to 1
  • I have 8 Communotron 16's
  • The range of each Communotron is 5Mm, so with 8 antennas My range should be 40Mm.
  • The altitude of the Mun in my game is 34.684Mm
  • My satellite's Ap of the Mun is 2Mm. 
  • I have 100% electrical charge
  • There are 3 Tracking Stations on each 1/3 side of Kerbin (using KerbinSide) and they are working flawlessly
  • There are 3 communication satellites in an equatorial geostationary orbit, each with an omni-directional range of 40Mm (8 Communotron 16s)

Given the facts stated above, my satellite's furthest distance from Kerbin should be no more than 37Mm. I have line of site to both a tracking station and a communication sat around Kerbin. Why still no signal?

4wiaLGB.png

Edited by Voodoo8648

3 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Hello again :) 

Why do I not have a signal as seen in this screenshot?

• I have the Antenna Range Multiplier set to 2 
  • The Multiple Antenna Range Multiplier is set to 1
  • I have 8 Communotron 16's
  • The range of each Communotron is 5Mm, so with 8 antennas My range should be 40Mm.
  • The altitude of the Mun in my game is 34.684Mm
  • My satellite's Ap of the Mun is 2Mm. 
  • I have 100% electrical charge
  • There are 3 Tracking Stations on each 1/3 side of Kerbin (using KerbinSide) and they are working flawlessly
  • There are 3 communication satellites in an equatorial geostationary orbit, each with an omni-directional range of 40Mm (8 Communotron 16s)

Given the facts stated above, my satellite's furthest distance from Kerbin should be no more than 37Mm. I have line of site to both a tracking station and a communication sat around Kerbin. Why still no signal?

I'm 99.9% sure that the antenna ranges don't stack. You really need a dish to be pointing back to Kerbin if you're in Mun's SOI.

3 minutes ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

I'm 99.9% sure that the antenna ranges don't stack. You really need a dish to be pointing back to Kerbin if you're in Mun's SOI.

The "Multiple Antenna Range Multiplier" in the RT settings is for stacking the antenna's ranges with multiple antennas. So one Communotron 16 with a 5Mm range will give you 5Mm. Having two antennas gives you a 10Mm range.. The multiplier works perfect in the SOI of Kerbin, and indeed I had Comms signal around the Mun. I sent up 3 Mun communications satellites around the Mun on one launch, and I separated the 3 and conducted a burn  in order to decrease my Ap. That worked flawless. The no communications problem arose when I then switched to one of the other Mun Communication satellites in order to set it up for a burn. I'm placing them in a triangular pattern around the Mun, but It was then I saw there was no connection. 

There is no reason I shouldn't have a connection.... unless either, there is a bug, or I'm missing something. 

1 hour ago, Agustin said:

In what way is this mod different that stock commnet?

this mod was written bifor ther was a  commnet
i think its mainly maintained for thos who started a game whit it and are continuing whit it in new versions of KSP (i started my save in 1.0.5)

but the differences:
* more realism
* it has a built in computer to do commands wen the ship has no connection or just to scadual further commands
* it has a delay bitwin giving a command to doing it depending on the range
* no relay antenna, you need a 2 antenna sat for relays

better written and better informed responses will probably follow shortly :)

Edited by danielboro