[1.11] RemoteTech v1.9.9 [2020-12-19]

Is there a way to add an "antenna activate" command to the flight computer queue if you're using that antenna as the only connection?

I have on my craft a HG-5 antenna, and the vessel has nothing to do for 9 days. Since I'm using background processing, energy will still be consumed while the craft is not loaded, so I want to shut down that antenna and have the computer reactivate it in time to do the task. While the antenna is activated, the only option in the context menu is to deactivate, which when I tested it doesn't act like a toggle, and so doesn't activate the antenna.

Fortunately, for my current mission I have two antenna on board so I can queue the idle one to activate before I deactivate the in use one, but other missions I'll only be taking one antenna.

So is that possible? Otherwise the only option is really to keep the antenna activated the whole time, and ensure I have enough power to run it, even though I don't really need it.

Thanks

1 hour ago, strudo76 said:

So is that possible? Otherwise the only option is really to keep the antenna activated the whole time, and ensure I have enough power to run it, even though I don't really need it.

Thanks

There's a separate mod that will help you out -- Antenna Sleep I think it's called? Agreed that it's an annoying problem though.

7 hours ago, strudo76 said:

I want to shut down that antenna and have the computer reactivate it in time to do the task.

Simply - RT settings in Space Center view - deactivate the need for a connection to activate antennas.

Hey guys,

I got a problem, and I kinda guess it's similar to that of @strudo76: As long as the craft root is the same (or similar oriented) to the currently controlled part, no problem occurs. BUT when having a docking port stuck on a side and the game decides after the docking maneuver that this docking port is now the root part, all flight computer orientation will screw up, failing to be able to orient towards any node, custom pointer or else. Interestingly stock controls (pilots) are able to cope with that, for what I've seen. This is especially annoying with KAS and KIS usage for temporarily connecting ships, bases and suchlike to transfer resources.

Does anybody else see this kind of behavior? 

@TaxiService Regarding RT and science data. The thing that RT does with science transmissions that is non-standard is to set all science data as "triggered" when the transmission starts. Then at the end of the transmission it fires the OnTriggeredData event and actually submits the data to R&D. I believe this is a work around to deal with problems related to partial data transmission.

That is not how the triggered field on science data is normally used. It is used by things like the science lab science transmission, or the M700 resource scan, things that don't have standard science ids. They use the triggered data event to submit their data after the transmission is complete. Science Relay also uses the triggered data field to "fake" a data transmission while actually transferring the data to another vessel.

I'm not really that concerned with RT compatibility, at least not until RT 2 comes out. But if you get the chance to come up with a better way of getting around partial data transmission problems that would be great. And as @KerbMav said, it's not a very significant problem anyway.

20 hours ago, M3tal_Warrior said:

Hey guys,

I got a problem, and I kinda guess it's similar to that of @strudo76: As long as the craft root is the same (or similar oriented) to the currently controlled part, no problem occurs. BUT when having a docking port stuck on a side and the game decides after the docking maneuver that this docking port is now the root part, all flight computer orientation will screw up, failing to be able to orient towards any node, custom pointer or else. Interestingly stock controls (pilots) are able to cope with that, for what I've seen. This is especially annoying with KAS and KIS usage for temporarily connecting ships, bases and suchlike to transfer resources.

Does anybody else see this kind of behavior? 

Yes, this bug happens when the orientation of a root part is flipped in VAB/SPH. For example, a flipped docking part will confuse the flight computer. A workaround to this bug is to re-root another non-flipped part of your craft in flight using KIS (I am not sure how to achieve this).

@DMagic Thanks for your insight on this behavior of RT on the science transmission. Have the science data transmission been changed significantly in KSP 1.0 or 1.1? RT's handling of data transmission seems to be outdated, dated in KSP 0.25 or earlier.

Edited by TaxiService

1 hour ago, M3tal_Warrior said:

@TaxiService@tomek.piotrowski Is there the possibility that this screwup is being solved in some future version of the mod or do I have to rework my shuttles to prevent it? Just nicely asking, no pressure nor demand. :)

The issue is we are not quite knowledgeable on the orientation matrix of a part to debug and fix in the flight computer. For now, you need to re-root your crafts, sorry.

We are ditching the most of the flight computer's inner workings and re-wiring it to the KSP's stock autopilot commands in the redevelopment of CommNet-based RT2. But it won't be out for a long time.

12 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

The issue is we are not quite knowledgeable on the orientation matrix of a part to debug and fix in the flight computer. For now, you need to re-root your crafts, sorry.

Maybe it's a stupid way of thinking, but what if the FC would reroot the craft the moment you tell it to use *this* part for control? Just root the craft to this part - I could imagine this would catch a lot of flies in one go (especially with KIS/KAS modified crafts). It wouldn't even be necessary to rewrite the FC code... Sometimes it's easier to move the work piece instead of the tool at hand :wink: 

@TaxiService At some point the science system used a callback for non-standard science, so after the transmission was complete the callback would be triggered and science would be applied that way. They changed it to use a game event and the triggered flag, but it basically works the same way. I can look into making a PR to make the changes, there shouldn't be much, just a few lines to tweak.

@DMagic Yes, I appreciate your PR offer. But can you first check on my fix attempt (branched off the develop branch)? I think I may be wrong on certain parts of a science transmission.

I debugged the ModuleRTDataTransmitter and found the callback passed in is always null. So this should be removed entirely.

I submitted a PR. I think it should work, but everything was edited on the GitHub website, so hopefully it actually compiles correctly. :D

It just checks for the triggered data flag before creating the RnDCommStream. If it is triggered then it doesn't create it, so the process skips the part about sending data to the R&D center. When it reaches the end it fires the triggered data event. I also added a simple flag to check for aborted transmissions.

A quick check with regular science data and another with the M700 resource scan should be all that's required to confirm that it's working.

On 5/6/2016 at 1:57 PM, tomek.piotrowski said:

It does this by requiring unmanned vessels have a connection to Kerbal Space Center (KSC) to be able to be controlled. This adds a new layer of difficulty

It's annoying when you KNOW the question you're going to ask is stupid, but digging around this thread isn't showing me the blindingly obvious thing that must be so blindingly obvious that it's blinded me to its obviosity. And that is I don't understand that statement because I've never installed RT and yet I've never been able to control unmanned vessels without an active connection to KSC or they go ballistic, and I've had to rerun missions several times where I either forgot an antenna or more likely didn't remember to extend it.

I watched the video and I can see it does more than just require connections with the realistic signal delay, that's interesting and cool, but I'm still not getting why the connection required is mentioned as the primary feature when I seem to already have that in a stock game. I even checked to see if I'd installed RT without remembering but nope, not as far as I can see. And yet I've already put up relay satellites at the Mun, Minmus, and two at Kerbin to ensure I always have signals to control probes and to not get stuck being unable to transmit science.

Ok, I don't remember doing that but if I'd seen a choice saying that in the difficulty settings I'd probably click it as it's requiring basic reality. Thanks KM, I was scratching my head over that one.

That said I'm still going to install RT and give it a spin, I've read people in more than one place saying they'd sell their mothers to a family of hungry grizzlies before giving it up, so it must be doing some very interesting things. I'm not sure on the signal delay, I'll have to see how that works as unless I'm missing something else I don't see any provision for AI in probe cores. At first thought that would seem to be a requirement to make it work correctly, our RL probes know how to fly themselves all the way to landing, performing all the required tasks along the way and totally unpacking and making themselves functional when they land. 

If there was scriptable AI for probe cores, signal delay would be a really interesting challenge. I'll still probably try it though, it's clearly very popular and things aren't popular without reason.

4 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Ok, I don't remember doing that but if I'd seen a choice saying that in the difficulty settings I'd probably click it as it's requiring basic reality. Thanks KM, I was scratching my head over that one.

That said I'm still going to install RT and give it a spin, I've read people in more than one place saying they'd sell their mothers to a family of hungry grizzlies before giving it up, so it must be doing some very interesting things. I'm not sure on the signal delay, I'll have to see how that works as unless I'm missing something else I don't see any provision for AI in probe cores. At first thought that would seem to be a requirement to make it work correctly, our RL probes know how to fly themselves all the way to landing, performing all the required tasks along the way and totally unpacking and making themselves functional when they land. 

If there was scriptable AI for probe cores, signal delay would be a really interesting challenge. I'll still probably try it though, it's clearly very popular and things aren't popular without reason.

There is a flight computer in RT where you can make simple programs for the vessel, e.g. change ship's orientation, make a burn or lower landing legs. You can also check out kOS, which provides a real programming language and CPUs for running it. Its capabilities are almost unlimited, but it's also harder to learn.

I personally am waiting patiently for RT 2.0, which should be 100% compatible with the stock antennas and CommNet (the connectivity system included in KSP 1.2+). I guess switching between CommNet and RT as well as from RT 1.8 to RT 2.0 in one savegame can be very problematic.

5 minutes ago, garwel said:

I guess switching between CommNet and RT as well as from RT 1.8 to RT 2.0 in one savegame can be very problematic.

Oops. Maybe I won't be trying it soon. Actually I've been thinking of restarting even though I'm just about to complete the tech tree; I've been installing mods as I went along, my contracts are pretty screwed up, and being a fist career everything about the progress was kinda messy and could have been done much better. Also about to get my dev desktop back online and won't be stuck using this 3d card but only 8Gb RAM laptop anymore, and will be switching over to one of the graphics enhancement suites at the same time.

Also, thanks for the info about scripting, I will go look at kOS, that sounds interesting. I think some of the people involved with the real thing would say heck, riding along with the thing during landing makes it easy, try automating the whole sequence because you're eleventy gillion miles away.

5 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

kerbnet was add in KSP 1.2
RT predates it
RT adds an onbourd computer to execute commands sent to it
you can add KOS (the AI you ask off)

and smart part

@garwel and @danielboro, thanks for pointing me to kOS :cool: At some point I had seen it in passing, but got the impression it wasn't nearly cooked yet and put it on mental ignore unless I saw some major announcement. I was just looking through the documentation you sent me to, and white it's not totally cooked, it's at least medium cooked or seems to be to me and I will definitely have fun playing with that.

Although I'll be fine with the code, what would be extremely cool is someone turning them into little action and logic blocks that anyone can string together. The list of functions and available comparators and types is very finite, enough so for a GUI interface to work, and it would be extremely spiffy if there was an AI system accessible to everyone, not just coders.

1 minute ago, vossiewulf said:

@garwel and @danielboro, thanks for pointing me to kOS :cool: At some point I had seen it in passing, but got the impression it wasn't nearly cooked yet and put it on mental ignore unless I saw some major announcement. I was just looking through the documentation you sent me to, and white it's not totally cooked, it's at least medium cooked or seems to be to me and I will definitely have fun playing with that.

Although I'll be fine with the code, what would be extremely cool is someone turning them into little action and logic blocks that anyone can string together. The list of functions and available comparators and types is very finite, enough so for a GUI interface to work, and it would be extremely spiffy if there was an AI system accessible to everyone, not just coders.

and thers a number made for plains too

I was sent here to propose my 'Support Forum' question 

Remote Tech Config Question

the Antenna in that Post, I have images of the Antenna in there, are not supported by Remote Tech, which should be an easy fix. IT is just supposed to be a mirror of another antenna. <Specifically the HG-5>

Now I have mentioned that the game calls the antenna to be a @SQUAD part. I was also given insight that it might be a Asteroid Day part by Rover Dude... which as we know was a mod integrated ages ago. 

Please Note: I am not Saying these statements are True or Fact, just things my stream chat has been informing me of and things I have found by digging the KSP files.

So, I would guess after looking at the support post link above if anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated. thank you all very much.

Thanks,

Necro

2 hours ago, zeineizoku said:

I was sent here to propose my 'Support Forum' question 

Remote Tech Config Question

the Antenna in that Post, I have images of the Antenna in there, are not supported by Remote Tech, which should be an easy fix. IT is just supposed to be a mirror of another antenna. <Specifically the HG-5>

Now I have mentioned that the game calls the antenna to be a @SQUAD part. I was also given insight that it might be a Asteroid Day part by Rover Dude... which as we know was a mod integrated ages ago. 

Please Note: I am not Saying these statements are True or Fact, just things my stream chat has been informing me of and things I have found by digging the KSP files.

So, I would guess after looking at the support post link above if anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated. thank you all very much.

Thanks,

Necro

Looks like you have a mod that is copying parts and renaming them as from what I have that dish is RA-5 on the cfg  and its a RA-2 Relay Antenna its in ksp/gamedata/squad/parts/utility/relayantennas

2 minutes ago, MeCripp said:

Looks like you have a mod that is copying parts and renaming them as from what I have that dish is RA-5 on the cfg  and its a RA-2 Relay Antenna its in ksp/gamedata/squad/parts/utility/relayantennas

Okay so what is throwing me off then is when I hover over the HG-5B antenna... it has the 'Mouse Context Overlay' like [Squad] for squad parts, [KWRocketry] for KW parts [B9] ... we you get the idea. When the mouse is hovering over the Antenna in Question <HG-5B> it gives me the SQUAD context -___- so that is making is a little of a pain to find which mod is adding this Antenna. 

Please See This Post for my Mod List from KSP-AVC and my GameData Folder in the Spoilers with ScreenShots if this will help people help me help you help myself to find this d***'d mod doing this o.o

1 minute ago, zeineizoku said:

Okay so what is throwing me off then is when I hover over the HG-5B antenna... it has the 'Mouse Context Overlay' like [Squad] for squad parts, [KWRocketry] for KW parts [B9] ... we you get the idea. When the mouse is hovering over the Antenna in Question <HG-5B> it gives me the SQUAD context -___- so that is making is a little of a pain to find which mod is adding this Antenna. 

Please See This Post for my Mod List from KSP-AVC and my GameData Folder in the Spoilers with ScreenShots if this will help people help me help you help myself to find this d***'d mod doing this o.o

It's a stock dish bad thing when looking for stuff the name of the cfg is RA-5.cfg but the -----> title = #autoLOC_500944 //#autoLOC_500944 = RA-2 Relay Antenna   <------------  and the name of the part is ---> RelayAntenna5      <--  so guess they just cut it down to RA-5

It can get crazy looking for things :confused: