[1.11] RemoteTech v1.9.9 [2020-12-19]

Commnet compatibility? Don't think RT users really NEED it. 

What we need is some minor patches:

1. New ground stations to resemble Commnet ground stations pattern. It's really silly when you have to assure satellite hops for LEO operations at mere 500 km from KSC. Realism Overhaul pack have such configuration for RT and it's very comfortable to play with.
  2. New stock antennas like Communotron 16-s are not yet treated as RT antennas. That should be fixed.

And maybe also one new feature - option to switch RT antennas to "don't transmit and recieve wake signal only" power-saving mode - for better support of new stock "hibernation" mechanic. And if RT will automatically "hibernate" all antennas when probe core is hibernated - it will be absolutely amazing.

Edited by Dr. Jet

48 minutes ago, Dr. Jet said:

Commnet compatibility? Don't think RT users really NEED it. 

What we need is some minor patches:

1. New ground stations to resemble Commnet ground stations pattern. It's really silly when you have to assure satellite hops for LEO operations at mere 500 km from KSC. Realism Overhaul pack have such configuration for RT and it's very comfortable to play with.
  2. New stock antennas like Communotron 16-s are not yet treated as RT antennas. That should be fixed.

And maybe also one new feature - option to switch RT antennas to "don't transmit and recieve wake signal only" power-saving mode - for better support of new stock "hibernation" mechanic. And if RT will automatically "hibernate" all antennas when probe core is hibernated - it will be absolutely amazing.

ad1: SETIremoteTechConfig adds ground stations
ad2: The new stock relay dishes represent multiple (RT equivalent) dishes in one part, thus they are eg far heavier than rt dishes. Treating them as RT dishes requires that they are completely rebalanced.

3 hours ago, Yemo said:

ad1: SETIremoteTechConfig adds ground stations
ad2: The new stock relay dishes represent multiple (RT equivalent) dishes in one part, thus they are eg far heavier than rt dishes. Treating them as RT dishes requires that they are completely rebalanced.

ad1 - Pull request for incorporating it into main RT package will be nice. Especially if it closely resembles stock Commnet ground relay network . 

ad2 - Usage of ModuleManager for installation of ModuleRTAntenna to parts is inavoidable. Changing parts weight to more realistic will take just one more string of MM config. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Jet said:

ad1 - Pull request for incorporating it into main RT package will be nice. Especially if it closely resembles stock Commnet ground relay network . 

ad2 - Usage of ModuleManager for installation of ModuleRTAntenna to parts is inavoidable. Changing parts weight to more realistic will take just one more string of MM config. 

ad1: It does not resemble stock commnet ground relay station positions, as it is much older than commnet. Also I already offered it some time ago, but the very concept of multiple ground stations was rejected for stock remote tech.

ad2: Yep. I also made a mistake there, they are fairly close to RT masses, so close that giving them mass appropriate ranges would make some current RT dishes redundant. That requires some thought on which dishes/ranges are desireable at all.

@DavidHunterI've also had that same throttling problem!  Since at least KSP version 1.0.x.  Burns like it should, throttles down properly, then opens all the way back up, no response to control.  Really sucks when you've programmed a maneuver for a point out of radio coverage - like when you're setting up your *goshdarn* Comsat network to begin with.  It only happens once in a while but it's a real day-ruiner.

cc @neitsa

13 hours ago, Yoshidude said:

Is there a way I can use only the flight computer with stock commnet?

No.  There would be little point, since stock CommNet doesn't have signal delay.  Use the stock SAS, or MechJeb's SmartA.S.S.

5 hours ago, hab136 said:

No.  There would be little point, since stock CommNet doesn't have signal delay.  Use the stock SAS, or MechJeb's SmartA.S.S.

Actually there is a point in using the flight computer with stock: if you are in the signal-shadow of a body (out of contact), the flight computer can still operate maneuver nodes. This is really helpful if you have not set up a 100% coverage of some area.

I would love to the a stand-alone version of the flight computer for CommNet.

Edited by EoD

I like the new modular structure. I think it's the way to go. Without compatibility with stock mechanics, RT would just eventually die (not many people would want to install such a complex mod just for signal delays and directional antennas). But seeing it as an enhancement of the CommNet may actually make it more popular and accessible to new users.

But I'm also worried how this compatibility is implemented in practice. I haven't played the 1.2 yet, but I understand that its math and balancing are very different from those of RT. Can we expect backward compatibility between RT 2.0 and 1.8? In other words, will my RT-powered probes and relays continue to work after the upgrade? Or should I use stock mechanics for now without RT for now, and then just add delay and other stuff on top of it with RT 2.0?

@tomek.piotrowski may I suggest a few ideas for merging remoteTech with commnett. Here's my suggestions, that remoteTech use the many DSN tracking stations that kerbin now has due to commnet, where Kerbin would now has many red dots on it's surface and that you can select these sites for dedicated antennas. Now for signal delay, when the signal bar goes down, it should mean you're getting close to being out of range, when  it reaches one bar, most controls should be frozen, exactly like what commnet does when you lose signal, and when the signal bar drops to 0 you should have 0 control over the probe. Include the flight computer with this system, and you'd have a perfect lightweight mod that builts on top of commnett while keeping all the features people love about remoteTech. 

On 23/10/2016 at 4:05 AM, JayPee said:

@DavidHunterI've also had that same throttling problem!  Since at least KSP version 1.0.x.  Burns like it should, throttles down properly, then opens all the way back up, no response to control.  Really sucks when you've programmed a maneuver for a point out of radio coverage - like when you're setting up your *goshdarn* Comsat network to begin with.  It only happens once in a while but it's a real day-ruiner.

cc @neitsa

Hmm, good to know I'm not the only one. And yeah, it's probably been happening for me since 1.0, too; it has been an issue for a while, I just never bothered complaining as I could always load a quicksave...

Out of interest, what mods do you have installed? Maybe we have one in common, and that's conflicting with RT. I've got 77 mods installed; it may be quicker for you to list what mods you have, rather than me to do so (let me know if that's not the case and I'll start typing up my list... :P )

Edited by DavidHunter
Removed accidental double-quote

53 minutes ago, DavidHunter said:

Out of interest, what mods do you have installed?

Spoiler

{
    "kind": "metapackage",
    "abstract": "A list of modules installed on the default KSP instance",
    "name": "installed-default",
    "license": "unknown",
    "version": "2016.10.24.05.09.20",
    "identifier": "installed-default",
    "spec_version": "v1.6",
    "recommends": [
        {
            "name": "ModuleManager"
        },
        {
            "name": "DMagicOrbitalScience"
        },
        {
            "name": "ProgressParser"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractParser"
        },
        {
            "name": "ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads"
        },
        {
            "name": "FerramAerospaceResearch"
        },
        {
            "name": "ModularFlightIntegrator"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalAlarmClock"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalEngineerRedux"
        },
        {
            "name": "KAS"
        },
        {
            "name": "KIS"
        },
        {
            "name": "KSP-AVC"
        },
        {
            "name": "SCANsat"
        },
        {
            "name": "InfernalRobotics"
        },
        {
            "name": "InfernalRobotics-LegacyParts"
        },
        {
            "name": "RemoteTech"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems"
        },
        {
            "name": "Toolbar"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator"
        },
        {
            "name": "TACLS-Config-Stock"
        },
        {
            "name": "SETI-Greenhouse"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityResourcePack"
        },
        {
            "name": "UniversalStorage"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation"
        },
        {
            "name": "SurfaceExperimentPack"
        },
        {
            "name": "DMagicScienceAnimate"
        },
        {
            "name": "surfacelights"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityTechTree"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSolar"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSpacecraft"
        },
        {
            "name": "RCSBuildAid"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSolar-Core"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureProps"
        },
        {
            "name": "TACLS"
        },
        {
            "name": "NavUtilities"
        },
        {
            "name": "DockingPortAlignmentIndicator"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityCategoryKit"
        },
        {
            "name": "MalemuteRover"
        },
        {
            "name": "FirespitterCore"
        },
        {
            "name": "USITools"
        }
    ]
}

also, Raster Prop Monitor but i accidentally uninstalled it, and CKAN wont let me reinstall until a 1.2 compatible version is out.

hope this helps

17 hours ago, EoD said:

Actually there is a point in using the flight computer with stock: if you are in the signal-shadow of a body (out of contact), the flight computer can still operate maneuver nodes. This is really helpful if you have not set up a 100% coverage of some area.

I would love to the a stand-alone version of the flight computer for CommNet.

My understanding was that you could still use SAS to point at the node and do 100% / 0% thrust to execute it.

1 hour ago, hab136 said:

My understanding was that you could still use SAS to point at the node and do 100% / 0% thrust to execute it.

Maybe if you don't prevent that with difficulty settings. I had no control on something that was in shadow. Couldn't use SAS or anything. This was with the first probe core that has pro/retrograde SAS options.

1.2 patch sure caused a lot trouble for Remote Tech. New possibilities as well but definitely a lot of work needed.

5 hours ago, JayPee said:
  Reveal hidden contents

{
    "kind": "metapackage",
    "abstract": "A list of modules installed on the default KSP instance",
    "name": "installed-default",
    "license": "unknown",
    "version": "2016.10.24.05.09.20",
    "identifier": "installed-default",
    "spec_version": "v1.6",
    "recommends": [
        {
            "name": "ModuleManager"
        },
        {
            "name": "DMagicOrbitalScience"
        },
        {
            "name": "ProgressParser"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractParser"
        },
        {
            "name": "ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads"
        },
        {
            "name": "FerramAerospaceResearch"
        },
        {
            "name": "ModularFlightIntegrator"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalAlarmClock"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalEngineerRedux"
        },
        {
            "name": "KAS"
        },
        {
            "name": "KIS"
        },
        {
            "name": "KSP-AVC"
        },
        {
            "name": "SCANsat"
        },
        {
            "name": "InfernalRobotics"
        },
        {
            "name": "InfernalRobotics-LegacyParts"
        },
        {
            "name": "RemoteTech"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems"
        },
        {
            "name": "Toolbar"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator"
        },
        {
            "name": "TACLS-Config-Stock"
        },
        {
            "name": "SETI-Greenhouse"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityResourcePack"
        },
        {
            "name": "UniversalStorage"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation"
        },
        {
            "name": "SurfaceExperimentPack"
        },
        {
            "name": "DMagicScienceAnimate"
        },
        {
            "name": "surfacelights"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityTechTree"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSolar"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSpacecraft"
        },
        {
            "name": "RCSBuildAid"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSolar-Core"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureProps"
        },
        {
            "name": "TACLS"
        },
        {
            "name": "NavUtilities"
        },
        {
            "name": "DockingPortAlignmentIndicator"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityCategoryKit"
        },
        {
            "name": "MalemuteRover"
        },
        {
            "name": "FirespitterCore"
        },
        {
            "name": "USITools"
        }
    ]
}

also, Raster Prop Monitor but i accidentally uninstalled it, and CKAN wont let me reinstall until a 1.2 compatible version is out.

hope this helps

4 hours ago, SilverlightPony said:

@JayPee  Protip:  If you set the "Save as type" to plain text (.txt) when exporting CKAN's list, it skips all the machine-readable formatting and just gives you a straight (more easily) human-readable list.  :P

Ah, I wish CKAN worked on Mac. I have to manually type my list. :'(
Anyway, we have the following mods in common:

• DMagicOrbitalScience
  • FerramAerospaceResearch
  • ModularFlightIntegrator
  • KerbalAlarmClock
  • KerbalEngineerRedux
  • KAS
  • KIS
  • KSP-AVC
  • SCANsat
  • InfernalRobotics
  • RemoteTech
  • Toolbar
  • ContractConfigurator
  • CommunityResourcePack
  • UniversalStorage
  • CommunityTechTree
  • RCSBuildAid
  • DockingPortAlignmentIndicator

...so quite a few.

Screw it, I'll just try and fault it again and get some logs. lol

1 hour ago, hab136 said:

Only the most advanced probe cores have the maneuver hold option , sadly. (the yellow one and the thin 1.25M and 2.5M ones). Very annoying to the point where i'm actually considering reinstalling RT (i was quite satisfied with the stock commnet so far but this seems like an oversight.)

Hello All,

Is it still possible to 'add' tracking stations in the Default_settings.cfg?

It used to work, just adding additional STATION sections and adjusting the ActiveVesselGuid to be a new unique number.

I just to be able to fly to a new location, get the lat / lon and elev and then update the config file.

Anyway, thanks for any info

Cheers.

4 hours ago, drtedastro said:

Hello All,

Is it still possible to 'add' tracking stations in the Default_settings.cfg?

It used to work, just adding additional STATION sections and adjusting the ActiveVesselGuid to be a new unique number.

I just to be able to fly to a new location, get the lat / lon and elev and then update the config file.

Anyway, thanks for any info

Cheers.

Yes, you can add new ground stations to the Default_settings.cfg.

(However, you need to edit when KSP is not running. There is the issue #624 regarding editing when KSP is idle)

3 hours ago, balu0 said:

Maybe this was already answered, can the stock 1.2 ground stations be used as RT ground stations somehow ?

Not possible at this moment if you want to play RT with CommNet disabled. The RT 1.8.0 is the straight port to KSP 1.2 without taking advantage of the CommNet. We have the plan for the next major release that will be built up on the CommNet and its stock ground stations (that can be disabled other than KSC one I believe)

Edited by TaxiService

1 hour ago, TaxiService said:

Yes, you can add new ground stations to the Default_settings.cfg.

(However, you need to edit when KSP is not running. There is the issue #624 regarding editing when KSP is idle)

Many thanks.

I have it working now thanks to your info.  RT first tries to read the config file under the save directory.  If not there, it will read the config under GameData\RemoteTech dir.

So I get coordinates I need from KSP, shut down, delete the config under current saves file and update the config in GameData\Remotetech.  Then restart.

It does not find the file under the saves area and reverts to config in RemoteTech dir.

Again, thanks.

Hey I feel I am missing something, but I have a satellite network at geostationairy orbit - with 4 satellites connecting fine and having an extra antenna on "active vesssel". Now I launched a second vessel, however I am unable to connect with it - other than constantly switching to the correct satellite in the GEO orbit, it won't connect automatically to the closest.

Now I don't have an omni directional antenna on this satellite, since I didn't "need" it. - So how would I make this happen with the reflecton KR 7?