Z-Key Aerospace

[KSP V1.4.5] TAC Fuel Balancer v2.20

Recommended Posts

I've found that most things react to where the mouse is now rather than where it was on the click(release) event, so you will likely have better luck with buttons/windows if you are careful to not move the mouse between clicking and the desired action occurring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm used to be careful about that and this only occurs with this mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TAC Fuel Balancer is in danger of getting an upgrade.  Drum roll...

  • F2 support!
  • Stock tool bar "Launcher" button!
  • New icon - woo hoo!
  • Window resize gadget is a bit less ugly.

That lot is done already.  What it doesn't have yet but should also be getting is a new set of title-bar icons - close, help and settings.

OK, so I have been trying to get [x] Science! up to speed but my latest attempt failed hard because of the unique and colourful way that everything hangs off the main window.  Given that KSP should be fun I have taken the opportunity to assuage my guilt about ignoring this mod for the last month or so.

Let me try and get the new artwork into the titlebar and give it a test.  Hopefully get a new version released this weekend.

Now I'm gonna try and fix up the OP a bit so this thread looks like some one loves it.

Oh, while I'm here...

I was thinking of restricting the availability of the fuel balancer in career mode until you have upgraded the lab and bought fuel pipes (something like that) A setting could make it always available.  I'd also like to try and change the tank highlighting in some way, I still think it is clunky and hard to find the tank you want.  Not yet - in a future version.  What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say lock it with tech -- it's a bit OP at the moment otherwise (and people who want it earlier can just use the setting). I'd agree about the highlighting. It would be nice to be able to select it on the ship and show you where it is in the balancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I repeat myself, but please add the "remember state of vessel settings" in flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I found a race condition between Fuel Balancer and  Interstellar Fuel Switch.  I had actually stopped testing.  I wanted to get some screen shots to bung in the first post so I was building a spaceplane.

Turns out that - well look at  this...

            // Make sure the resource/part list is correct after other mods, such as StretchyTanks, do their thing.
            Invoke("RebuildActiveVesselLists", 1.0f);

So my spaceplane had some bicoupler tanks that I had changed to LF only.  Sometimes they had 400LF sometimes 200LF+OX

I "fixed" the problem by calling RebuildActiveVesselLists( ) every time the main window is opened.  That may be  a wonderful fix or it may play havoc with any on-going fuel transfers.  I think what it actually needs is a flag to say that the lists are up to date.  Can't believe I've never seen this before.

Trouble with a race condition is that you never actually know that your have fixed it.

Any how that was 2.00am, last night.  (I was on a mission)  I'm not going to look at it again today.  New version will be released when ready.

 

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally I think I've found the fix button.  Just give me the chance to press it properly.

One thing, to support Interstellar Fuel Switch's ability to change any empty tank even after launch - I'd need to know that it has changed.  I can't see that IFS is generating events so that won't happen.

At the moment I've rigged the help button to trigger a refresh.  No I'm not going to release it like that.  I may add a refresh button next to the help button.

For those who are interested - FB was dealing with tanks changing capacity but the idea that a LF+OX tank might suddenly contain MONO was beyond its abilities.  Essentially there is a AddResource() function but no RemoveResource() function.  When IFS jumps in just after launch and changes the tanks - FB couldn't cope with the idea of removing a tank from a resource list.  It could add it to the new list but not remove it from the old list.

The other new thing is that I'm trying very hard to delay the refresh of the list for as long as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just published V2.7 - https://themoose.co.uk/ksp/TacFuelBalancer2.7.zip

  • Stock toolbar "Launcher" button
  • New icon set
  • F2 support
  • Reset button
  • Support for mods that change tank contents

You should only need the reset button if you use Interstellar fuel switch to change an empty tank from one resource type to another while in flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The forum thread pointed-to by SpaceDock is out-of-date. Still points to the old thread (which is very annoying on mobile, having to click through twice >.< ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A suggestion for future versions:

It would be cool if it were possible to set the tanks to what you want to have, and then start pumping. Sometimes I want to pump 4 tanks into 2 while the engines are on. If I do this for one tank at a time the balance is off and torque is induced. This I could set tank 1 into 2, 3 into 4. Start. And then everything would still be balanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16 June 2016 at 1:56 AM, phoenix_ca said:

The forum thread pointed-to by SpaceDock is out-of-date. Still points to the old thread (which is very annoying on mobile, having to click through twice >.< ).

Cheers - fixed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote strongly not to lock it with tech, or at least make a career override option in the settings. There is no clear tech to peg it to, and frankly it'd just be annoying. If this mod had 'tiered' features like MechJeb, you could peg them to respective fuel tech nodes. Not the worst idea, but again, not for me.

As long as there is an override, go nuts, do whatever.

I currently use this with GPOSpeedFuelPump (I like to watch them fight it out to see which can fill and empty tanks faster:D) - both very cool mods, with very different feature sets. I really like that.

It also goes without saying though, thanks for keeping this mod alive.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2016 at 6:10 PM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

TAC Fuel Balancer is in danger of getting an upgrade.  Drum roll...

  • F2 support!
  • Stock tool bar "Launcher" button!
  • New icon - woo hoo!
  • Window resize gadget is a bit less ugly.

That lot is done already.  What it doesn't have yet but should also be getting is a new set of title-bar icons - close, help and settings.

OK, so I have been trying to get [x] Science! up to speed but my latest attempt failed hard because of the unique and colourful way that everything hangs off the main window.  Given that KSP should be fun I have taken the opportunity to assuage my guilt about ignoring this mod for the last month or so.

Let me try and get the new artwork into the titlebar and give it a test.  Hopefully get a new version released this weekend.

Now I'm gonna try and fix up the OP a bit so this thread looks like some one loves it.

^^ This is why I "liked" this post...

 

On 6/8/2016 at 6:10 PM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

Oh, while I'm here...

I was thinking of restricting the availability of the fuel balancer in career mode until you have upgraded the lab and bought fuel pipes (something like that) A setting could make it always available.  I'd also like to try and change the tank highlighting in some way, I still think it is clunky and hard to find the tank you want.  Not yet - in a future version.  What do you think?

^^ This part is why I wish we could "like" or have an "unlike" button, for just parts of posts... :)

I say I do NOT like this part, since the functionality of TAC FB should already be part of the stock game...

1 hour ago, Deimos Rast said:

It also goes without saying though, thanks for keeping this mod alive.:)

Hear, Hear....Ditto...and all that... TAC FB has been one of my MUST HAVE, first-mods-to-be-installed when I do a fresh install of KSP... :)

Your work is very much appreciated, @Z-Key Aerospace :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I say I do NOT like this part, since the functionality of TAC FB should already be part of the stock game...

That's debatable, as it's pretty unrealistic. But that said, KSP is about fun, not sticking to absolute realism. Another thing to note is that in a career game, you often don't actually need this kind of functionality for quite a while, so having it unlocked by tech would only really add to flavour and not make a massive difference to gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current version seems to work OK in 1.1.3

I'm rebuilding for V1.1.3.  The following small changes...

  • Resource buttons act like tabs by default
  • Help and settings buttons toggle visibility
  • Some tool tips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locking to discovery of fuel pipes in career mode seems straightforward.  If the Kerbals haven't invented fuel pumping, how are they going to pump fuel? :D

That said, if you did lock it, an override would be nice.  Perhaps when people open the window it can say something like "Fuel pumping is unavailable because fuel pumps have not been researched yet.  Edit settings to override".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have made an observation which might be related to this mod. After docking to my space station and doing transfers of fuel using Tac Fuel Balancer, the menues where you select the way to transfer disappeared.

After this happened, suddenly my nuclear reactors stopped working, saying that they where missing enriched uranium (Reactors cores from UmbraIndustries - they use stock ModuleResourceConverter). However there was uranium in the reactors.

To isolate and fix the issue I edited the quick save file and found that the flowstate of my resource in the reactor was set to false and changing it back to true fixed the problem.

Save file partial dump:

Spoiler

RESOURCE
{
	name = EnrichedUranium
	amount = 30.8422660338285
	maxAmount = 154
	flowState = false				//<--- Changed this back to true
	isTweakable = True
	hideFlow = False
	isVisible = True
	flowMode = Both
}

 

So I was just wondering if maybe Tac Fuel Balancer does manipulate with the flowstate? If it does not, then the issue is probably something else...

NOTE: I did not find any exceptions in the log, and I know it's not much to go on but maybe it can help if there is a bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an essential mod for me...thanks

Is there any way to identify tanks when ships are docked together? Can I rename the tanks or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15 August 2016 at 7:36 PM, tjt said:

This is an essential mod for me...thanks

Is there any way to identify tanks when ships are docked together? Can I rename the tanks or something?

If you click on the name of the tank in the window it will be highlighted.  May not be amazingly efficient it you have a massive number of tanks.

Oh, you should be able to sort the tanks by ship.  That way you can restrict you clicking to just the one ship.

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Z-Key Aerospace said:

If you click on the name of the tank in the window it will be highlighted.  May not be amazingly efficient it you have a massive number of tanks.

Oh, you should be able to sort the tanks by ship.  That way you can restrict you clicking to just the one ship.

I tried sorting by ship, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'll try again.

Also, it would be really helpful if I could click on the tank on the ship and have it highlighted in the window. I'm learning to cut back on having a dozen cool looking radial tanks, still I'll have a bunch of the same tank across a base/docked ship and if I could click on the tank I see and have it highlighted it would help a lot :)

Thanks again for all the work :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.