Save file editing

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to work out how to adjust alignment/rotation of two modules currently docked together in space. I presume this must be possible to do within the save files.

kuQLH5j As you can see, the handle things are ever so slightly off, I don't think I could have got them more precisely aligned, given the circumstances (detachable rcs on orange tank - I've no idea why I chose to dock the orange tank to the command module rather than the other way round - also the orange tank is empty).

So, does anyone know what I'm looking for in the save files to adjust? Will it be a simple case of finding the docking port attached to the orange tank and rotating that or will I need to rotate the port, the tank and everything else with it? It needs to be aligned perfectly, for reasons..

Thanks everyone!

P.S just in case the insert media link didn't work... http://imgur.com/kuQLH5j

Edited by MR L A

possible yes. recommended ...  no.Editing the persistences file like that is difficult and black magic. you will need to find the port, adjust it's rotation. from there you will most likely need to adjust the position of every radially attached part, and so on down the tree.

my suggestions are:

1. undock and try again.

2. hyperedit up the assembled pair from the vba/sph

3. investigate some of the docking assist mods that will end up being suggested below.

43 minutes ago, steuben said:

possible yes. recommended ...  no.Editing the persistences file like that is difficult and black magic. you will need to find the port, adjust it's rotation. from there you will most likely need to adjust the position of every radially attached part, and so on down the tree.

my suggestions are:

1. undock and try again.

2. hyperedit up the assembled pair from the vba/sph

3. investigate some of the docking assist mods that will end up being suggested below.

Unfortunately undocking and trying again is out of the question (the rcs units tugs are gone). Is hyperedit-ing the use of save files? I cant seem to find how to do this without being referred to the mod...

Among the things that hyperedit can do is place a craft in an arbitrary orbit. So can take a craft from the pad to an arbitrary orbit, or from one orbit to another one somewhere else.

Well, this may be delicate. Don't forget to backup your save.

You could do without editing with this method.

• Create a new ship in the VAB as an exact replica of your existing ship (including fuel usage) with all part docked
  • Put it on the launchpad
  • Use Hyperedit to teleport this new ship be near your existing one. There is a feature for that, (I don't remember where)
  • EVA all your kerbals, grab your science if any and go to the other new ship (it should be around 100m)
  • Get to Tracking station, and remove the old ship.

I used this technique few time to fix some bugs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.