Found someone who thinks KSP is part of a grand conspiracy

SmartS=true

10 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Oh, so Earth is concave? Awesome! So when I look up, I can see the other side of the world the same way you can see the other side of a stadium when you're inside it...oh wait...that doesn't happen...yeah, this is why I stay in this little corner of the internet instead of having to deal with those people.

You can't see it because you need to decalcify your pineal gland to access the infinite Wi-fi connection of the ancients, which will project streaming video of the Earth's other side onto the glass ceiling of the sky mounted at the 100km Karman line. Easy installments of $29.99/mo for 12 months, address checks directly to Zordon the Wise

tumblr_o3x5dd2Z2h1rfrkigo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Accelerando

I clicked the link, couldn't bear to watch for more than 1/10th of a second, too... much... stupid...

I just quickly paused it, disliked it, gave the KSP'ers fighting back in the comments section some likes, and then got the fudge outta there.

Seriously, how can somebody be so stupid? :confused: I mean, c'mon, everyone knows SpaceX was actually created to promote KSP. :D 

(That last part was a joke by the way, the rest is serious though.)

23 hours ago, cubinator said:

Oh, so Earth is concave? Awesome! So when I look up, I can see the other side of the world the same way you can see the other side of a stadium when you're inside it...oh wait...that doesn't happen...yeah, this is why I stay in this little corner of the internet instead of having to deal with those people.

These forums are much saner than the majority of the internet, which is somewhat surprising considering that this isn't a science forum, it's just a place for people to talk about a video game.

On 11/05/2016 at 10:57 PM, Crystal_Mace said:

You mean.....it isn't...?   You mean Elon's not going to get the donations I've made to Squad.....?   OMG,  what have I done??

There. Exactly what I was thinking.

Also, WHOOO! I'm a KERBAL SPACE CADET! DAYUM! :cool:

Edited by Matuchkin

Uh, it's pretty damn obvious that this guy is nothing but a dedicated troll. It is literally impossible for someone to be so deluded, unless he has some mental illness, which in any case means that you shouldn't make fun of him and act so condescendingly towards him.

1 hour ago, mythbusters844 said:

Uh, it's pretty damn obvious that this guy is nothing but a dedicated troll. It is literally impossible for someone to be so deluded, unless he has some mental illness, which in any case means that you shouldn't make fun of him and act so condescendingly towards him.

It seems a lot of these people have some underlying medical condition. As long as they are not dangerous for others, they often go without treatment, until the whole thing escalates. It is a side effect of having a civilized society that frowns upon forced treatment of its members when it is not absolutely necessary.

Edited by Camacha

My biggest question for these people and their theories is why don't they prove them. They say that the earth is flat, why don't they send a rocket and take photos. All of them just blame conspiracies and they do nothing but runt about that. I won't click on the link the OP gave, these people don't deserve any fame

3 minutes ago, kookoo_gr said:

My biggest question for these people and their theories is why don't they prove them. They say that the earth is flat, why don't they send a rocket and take photos. All of them just blame conspiracies and they do nothing but runt about that. I won't click on the link the OP gave, these people don't deserve any fame

To be fair, the other side does not do that either. I am being told lots of things and assume they are true, because they seem to sync pretty well with reality. However, I never actually put them to the test and there are some pretty counter intuitive explanations out there too.

I have been planning to open a thread on that: science you can do yourself. By just believing in what we are being told, we are not very different from these people.

1 hour ago, kookoo_gr said:

1 hour ago, Camacha said:

To be fair, the other side does not do that either. I am being told lots of things and assume they are true, because they seem to sync pretty well with reality. However, I never actually put them to the test and there are some pretty counter intuitive explanations out there too.

I have been planning to open a thread on that: science you can do yourself. By just believing in what we are being told, we are not very different from these people.

I'd be careful using the word "prove" or derivatives thereof too much, because so little in the real science world can be literally *proven* to a philosophical-grade standard.

Even in real science you still have to take quite a lot on faith - society wouldnt work otherwise, we would literally spend our entire live re-confirming everything we heard, buried in research papers and labwork. Managing this combination of evidence, faith-based reassurance, and confirmation is a large part of being a scientist.

The crux is "provide evidence", these sorts of people seem to be sure that all the evidence against is fake or somehow misunderstood, and all of their evidence is rock-solid. This is the main source of frustration as it appears that they judge a large pool of evidence either way based solely on opinion and offer no other explanation. Most times, neither party will be in a position to offer any further reinforcement other than their personal assurance, which is of course, worthless. Thus the frustration is very hard to prevent.

If anyone ever says "This PROVES that" then you can almost always demonstrate that it isn't really proof, damaging what might otherwise be a good point - this works for both sides of course.

Ie: a photo Niel Armstrong took on the Moon ISN'T technically "proof" men went to the moon, but it IS pretty strong *evidence*. And you need equally strong evidence against to refute it, you don't need "proof", which is good because it is exceedingly rare.

Look, I don't care whether the guy is delusional, or whether he is just an internet troll. I like staging arguments with such idiots, it vents me and makes me feel more satisfied. I also don't mind if it gives them more attention, because the world still has a ton of reasonable people, who will not give a damn about these rantings or treat them with a light-hearted, joking manner. In the end, it's just going to separate the smart ones from the fools, and I want that. Let's have "fun" with that guy in the link, and just roll with it.

Edited by Matuchkin

22 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Look, I don't care whether the guy is delusional, or whether he is just an internet troll. I like staging arguments with such idiots, it vents me and makes me feel more satisfied. I also don't mind if it gives them more attention, because the world still has a ton of reasonable people, who will not give a damn about these rantings or treat them with a light-hearted, joking manner. In the end, it's just going to separate the smart ones from the fools, and I want that. Let's have "fun" with that guy in the link, and just roll with it.

Again, stop making stupid people famous.

2 minutes ago, Camacha said:

More and more people, because of actions like yours.

Well those people are clearly not members of society that any intelligent person would care about. No proof, no reason, etc. Why should we care?

Edited by Matuchkin

1 minute ago, Matuchkin said:

Well those people are clearly not members of society that any intelligent person would care about.

You do realize the behaviour mentioned in your previous post firmly puts you in that category?

Edited by Camacha

12 minutes ago, Camacha said:

You do realize the behaviour mentioned in your previous post firmly puts you in that category?

I don't mean "care" as in "mention anything about them, talk to them, or even look at them too hard". I mean "care" as in "believe in the theories, or have a heated argument with them". In my previous post, I said that I like "having fun" with those guys. By that, I mean that I like doing anything, from sarcastically cooking up another stupid theory and laughing while they think that I'm being serious, or making a joke to see how they'll react. However, I don't do anything with a basis on strong belief, nor do I actually believe that the idiot on youtube is an actual conspiracy theorist.

Believing is different from mocking. When it comes to conspiracy theorists, I'm the mocker, and I do it for my personal fun. Hence, I do not care about them.

EDIT: By arguing, I mean stuffing reason into their faces and seeing how they react, like this guy does. Again, for my personal satisfaction.

Edited by Matuchkin

2 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Believing is different from mocking. When it comes to conspiracy theorists, I'm the mocker, and I do it for my personal fun. Hence, I do not care about them.

Yet by mocking them you enhance their reach and credibility, simply for your own personal gratification. An ancient Law of the Internet states that one should not nourish the trolls.

1 minute ago, Camacha said:

Yet by mocking them you enhance their reach and credibility, simply for your own personal gratification. An ancient Law of the Internet states that one should not nourish the trolls.

Well then. Sure.

But seriously, what's the actual harm that comes from such an idiot being famous? It's not like they will change the world.

2 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

But seriously, what's the actual harm that comes from such an idiot being famous? It's not like they will change the world.

Collectively, they will. Just like evolutionary pressure is a thing where, in individual cases, the difference is negliable, but in numbers the difference is distinct, the same applies to these kinds of matters. Not to mention the positive things that could have been done with the spent energy. Just imagine what all the Youtube trolls combined could put together if they focussed their bile into a couple of useful or fun projects.

Edited by Camacha

On May 9, 2016 at 8:17 PM, cubinator said:

Yeah, let's buy him a copy so he can see how much fun it is! Show him the friction mechanics, that'll give him a laugh!

I'm actually serious...(also: Woo! Look at me typing in small font on mobile! Thanks @KasperVld!)

Haha yeah... If he doesn't make some sort of Elon Musk rocket and blow Kerbin to become flat so the Kerbal atheists will destroy all of christianity before aliens rise from the surface of the earth with their "antigravity spacecraft"...

Yeah, that is literally what the entire ten minutes of the video is about!

Edited by skylon7

On 5/17/2016 at 7:39 PM, Camacha said:

All I can say is: stop making stupid people famous. That includes people like these that get a lot of attention without any merit.

You have a point, but will a hundred people clicking a link and not liking the video give him that much more attention? I'd understand if it was on a larger website or one with people who would be likely to subscribe to him, but a link on a video game forum?