1.1 64-bit early stages vanishing at launch

In 64-bit KSP 1.1, with only one mod (the docking alignment indicator) - launching a fairly large rocket (174 tons in 6 stages):

If I save and then attempt to load the vehicle, it shows up on the vehicle list as "116 parts in 13 stages", but there are only six stages on the sidebar.

I click "launch".  I go to the pad.  If I don't do anything for a few seconds, the spacecraft settles in.  It appears to be intact, but the first three stages disappear from the stage sequence on the left.  If I activate the staging sequence, I get the fourth stage.

If I hit the "stage" button before the rocket "settles in", stage one fires as it should, but controls then appear to be locked.

I have checked visually - in both of these scenarios, the rocket appears to be intact, just the controls are misbehaving.

If I leave the pad after the rocket settles in, then come back, the top half of the rocket falls to the pad immediately upon my return and lights everything on fire.  I do not see the bottom half.

The spacecraft in question has three probe bodies and no crew.

I have tried quitting and reloading, shuffling the stage sequence, and similar with no apparent effect.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?  Any idea how it might be fixed?

It sounds like you craft is broken in some way so it would be most helpful if you could upload it somewhere and post a link so others can try it out.  Also, an output_log.txt file including one or more of these launch attempts would probably be helpful as would a list of what mods you have installed...

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I have 14 stages, when I go to launch, initially all stages appear. Once the ships settles in, all but 6 stages disappear. If I leave the game and come back in the stages appear as they should, but only once. If I want to relaunch I have to leave the game again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.