Forced node snap angle?

I started a small experiment with dodecahedric modular system. 

zP1t8S2.jpg

The trouble is that nodes are perfectly normal to surface of dodecahedron and parts snap perfectly normal to surface too, but their rotation around that normal is... not perfect. 

This brings 2 questions... no, 3 questions. 

1. Is there some way to force snap angle in VAB (around node normal)?
  2. If not... Nertea's Near Future Construction has docking port that snaps only at right angle. How to replicate such behavior? (I thought it were some strangely shaped colliders, but no, colliders in model are pretty basic.)
  3. Is there some way to safely add 10-12 docking nodes on one part? 

Edited by Dr. Jet

1 - Nope, they obey only the normal only; the rotation around that normal is set arbitrarily;  In order to have a rotation they would need to either use euler angles or quaternion for specification; currently they just use the vector as specified in the node config as the 'normal' or 'forward' for the node.  Might be doable with a custom plugin that had extra parameters to force the part rotation after it was attached, but it would be a work-around at best.

2 - Hmm... have not looked at those in recent years.  Does it do the snapping while in the VAB, or is it part of the in-flight docking port alignment code that forces alignment before the docking ports will engage?

3 - Yes, but each docking module needs its own uniquely named docking transform and control transform.  I've done quite a bit of experimentation on these and it was certainly possible in 1.05, have not tried again in 1.1.  I had a custom docking port module that allowed for renaming of the 'undock' and 'control from here' labels to include a unique name so that you could tell which port you were undocking (otherwise they all just say 'undock').  https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/Source/WIPModule/SSTUMultiDockingPort.cs

1. you can use transforms to specify attach nodes at precise angles, +Z pointed at the object/node you want to attach to. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/105766-friendly-psa-stack-node-fixes-in-10/#comment-1860523 nodes specified this way will only attach at the angle of the transform in the MU.

2. there's angle enforcement for ModuleDockingNode, you can set acquire/engage/snap angle deltas. e.g. begin acquiring when angle difference is less than X degrees; dock when less than Y degrees, only dock at Z degree increments. the settings you need should be in Nertea's docking port config files

Edited by nli2work

48 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

1 - Nope, they obey only the normal only; the rotation around that normal is set arbitrarily;  In order to have a rotation they would need to either use euler angles or quaternion for specification; currently they just use the vector as specified in the node config as the 'normal' or 'forward' for the node.  Might be doable with a custom plugin that had extra parameters to force the part rotation after it was attached, but it would be a work-around at best.

2 - Hmm... have not looked at those in recent years.  Does it do the snapping while in the VAB, or is it part of the in-flight docking port alignment code that forces alignment before the docking ports will engage?

3 - Yes, but each docking module needs its own uniquely named docking transform and control transform.  I've done quite a bit of experimentation on these and it was certainly possible in 1.05, have not tried again in 1.1.  I had a custom docking port module that allowed for renaming of the 'undock' and 'control from here' labels to include a unique name so that you could tell which port you were undocking (otherwise they all just say 'undock').  https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/Source/WIPModule/SSTUMultiDockingPort.cs

1. Sad.
  2. In flight. Nodes attract to each other but don't snap, then you have to rotate with Q/E to finally snap at 90°. I was sure it was made with colliders... until I imported a .mu in blender...
  3. Good... On the other hand... core is INSIDE... no clicks will be available... 
42 minutes ago, nli2work said:

1. you can use transforms to specify attach nodes at precise angles, +Z pointed at the object/node you want to attach to. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/105766-friendly-psa-stack-node-fixes-in-10/#comment-1860523 nodes specified this way will only attach at the angle of the transform in the MU.

2. there's angle enforcement for ModuleDockingNode, you can set acquire/engage/snap angle deltas. e.g. begin acquiring when angle difference is less than X degrees; dock when less than Y degrees, only dock at Z degree increments. the settings you need should be in Nertea's docking port config files

1. It's already done with empty objects and NODE{}s. I won't be able to precisely set normals otherwise. 
  2. Aah... So there are additional non-documented parameters... Interesting... 
MODULE
{
 name = ModuleDockingNode
 referenceAttachNode = top
 nodeType = size2
 undockEjectionForce = 0.25
 minDistanceToReEngage = 3.5
 acquireForce = 3.5
 acquireTorque = 3.5
 acquireRange = 3.0
 captureRange = 1.5 
}

This one is from kerbal wiki.

MODULE
{
        name = ModuleDockingNode
        referenceAttachNode = top
        nodeType = octo
        captureMinRollDot = 0.99999
        snapRotation = true
        snapOffset = 45
}

This one is from Near Future Construction. 

Again some juicy UNDOCUMENTED features... Need to catch learn them all!

Edited by Dr. Jet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.