Matching Textures/Colors/Specular in Unity

I'm working on a service module that is adapted from Fizzak's FASA parts pack. It involves a texture and normal map. When I convert the .DDS to .PNG and reload it into Blender, the spaces that appear blank show show up correctly as radiator panels. However, when I bring the .fbx model into Unity, the radiator panels appear as a black surface. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. [Original Problem Fixed - Was using bad copy of .dds]

Edited by Daelkyr

@nli2work thanks for the suggestions. It might be shaders. I'll post some pictures of what I'm talking about tomorrow. One thing I've noticed is that the parts I create using FASA textures don't have the same color or luminosity as FASA parts either.

Its probably an alpha channel issue, i.e the texture having one and either one of the material settings in blender or unity is not correctly using it (correctly).

We need the texture and a screenshot of your material settings.

Okay... Looks like my problem was a poor conversion of .dds to .png. I tried it again, and Unity shows everything just fine. I still can't figure out why my parts are so much darker than FASA parts. It seems like everything of mine is getting a grey coating under the texture.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite making sure that all of the settings are identical [Color, SpecColor, Shininess, Opacity, RimFalloff, RimColor, TempuratureColor, etc.], I cannot get my part to match the part in FASA. I downloaded the source files from Github but can't make it work. An example of what I'm going crazy over.

SvXfQSa.png

My part if the one on the bottom. I'm really lost as to what I'm doing wrong to get such a color mismatch after making sure everything matches on the shader.

I suggest you talk to Frizzank and ask to look at the .psd files. Those should give you a really good idea on how the textures was set up. If you've matched everything in Unity, looking as the .psd files is the only thing I can think of that could help you figure out where you went "wrong" in trying to replicate the FASA parts.

52 minutes ago, InsaneDruid said:

First educated guess: missing or "false" (different to the original) alpha channel in your texture which controls the specularity.

Is that something I need to set up in Blender or Unity? (Need to know which direction to start my Google searh.)

@liquidhype

Edited by Daelkyr

Its a property of the texture file itself. So you set it up in Photoshop or Gimp.

You can paint it just normal in grayscales, where black is non reflectivity and white is 100% reflectivity. Then copy everything together and paste it in the alpha channel.

You can also open one of the original textures of fasa and have a look at the values they use for their parts.

Just for illustration purposes, here is a texture and its alpha channel pictured side by side. you can see what areas should be more reflective and which are not.

texture_proton_intern3fu7b.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.