A New Manley Series? KerbalXtreme - A playthrough using only KerbalX.com craft that others create

inigma

Just wondering if it's feasible to play career mode exclusively using only crafts created by others found on KerbalX.com.

Perhaps maybe with Scott Manley playing it? The ultimate in playthrough community participation!

Respond if you like the idea. Maybe Scott will see this thread and consider it? The challenge is not so much as trying to play the game (which Manley has proven so good at doing) than it is at learning how quickly one can fly other people's designs. No part changes permitted.

Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, inigma said:

Just wondering if it's feasible to play career mode exclusively using only crafts created by others found on KerbalX.com.

Perhaps maybe with Scott Manley playing it? The ultimate in playthrough community participation!

Respond if you like the idea. Maybe Scott will see this thread and consider it? The challenge is not so much as trying to play the game (which Manley has proven so good at doing) than it is at learning how quickly one can fly other people's designs. No part changes permitted.

Thoughts?

Sounds cool.

Why not do it yourself though? It's your idea after all.

Don't let that smooth talking Scott Manley steal all the thunder!

I did a series where my viewers submitted ships for me to fly, based on my current tech level. It was quite fun, though a bit of a rigamarole sometimes getting the ships. This does an end-run around that by having the ships already available for download.

I also agree that you should do it :) If the videos are well produced (You mention him so I'll say if they're remotely as well produced as Scott's I'll consider them "well produced") I'll give it a watch.

On 5/10/2016 at 9:30 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Don't let that smooth talking Scott Manley steal all the thunder!

talking... Talking... TALKING... TALKING. 

Joking aside, While scotts videos be very amusing, and I always check in to see what he's up to, I sometimes feel as if I am listening to that old guy on the corner who talks to everyone about everything without taking a breath and forgets where he is and so starts talking some more.. haha.

It's feasible, but the recorder is going to have a hell of a time finding early-career ships.

Edited by spink00

7 hours ago, AeroGav said:

I have a collection of low thrust weight ratio, jet engine + NERV space planes that take half an hour to reach orbit.   These will push his ability to Ad-lib to the limit !

Why oh why did you engineer those? Is the efficiency absolutely incredible? Or do you have a phenomenal payload fraction?

2 hours ago, LordKael said:

Why oh why did you engineer those? Is the efficiency absolutely incredible? Or do you have a phenomenal payload fraction?

20160515110108_1_zpswlyqguyy.jpg

Not bad dV.    I just hate orbital rendezvous, I'd rather fly 10 minutes longer if it means I don't have to meet a refueller, transfer to another vehicle or construct a gargantuan ship over multiple launches.     Anything's better than watching two object spin round and round a planet trying to get an encounter.

Unfortunately I forgot to check the crew manifest before TO, looks like we need to dock anyway to pick up more kerbals.

Edited by AeroGav

2 hours ago, AeroGav said:

20160515110108_1_zpswlyqguyy.jpg

Not bad dV.    I just hate orbital rendezvous, I'd rather fly 10 minutes longer if it means I don't have to meet a refueller, transfer to another vehicle or construct a gargantuan ship over multiple launches.     Anything's better than watching two object spin round and round a planet trying to get an encounter.

Unfortunately I forgot to check the crew manifest before TO, looks like we need to dock anyway to pick up more kerbals.

Me too! But it is mainly because the time warp limits are set so ridiculously low. So first I used Kerbal Alarm Clock, set a future maneuvre node a few orbit ahead where the ships meet, go to space center, timewarp until the alarm triggers.
But after I discovered "BetterTimewarp", I haven't had this problem...warp 1000x at 70km around Kerbin is so much better :lol:
Although, I removed it last week since it feels like it is "jittery movement" my ship in real space(not frame rate stutter, the ship looks like it is vibrating through space...not enough to actually affect the ship orientation but I don't trust that with 100t+ ships)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.