[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

On 12/11/2019 at 6:18 PM, Brigadier said:

Yes, you do :P. Read the link below where it says to look in  ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log . I don't use Linux so I can't confirm this location or offer any OS-specific help.

No, not really. It requires a fresh start :)

Now there are logs from a new game:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cn5Nvfxi5cZ-A74TlaoI247ojspId6N-?usp=sharing

1) Discovered Minmus using the telescope.

2) Flyby

3) Observatory works.

4) Orbit, scan biomes & altimetry

5) Observatory works.

6) Land, takeoff, return to Kerbin.

6) Observatory is dead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 4:33 PM, derbleifuss said:

It seems like this Mod sets the R&D to Level 3, even if you just started a new Save. I fiddled a bit with the Settings but did not find a way to start with a Level 1 R%D. Is this normal or maybe my Mistake? I will upload the Logs if it is a Bug.

I am also experiencing the same thing. The mod also doesn't seem to function at all for a new save (No observatory, no menu on new save). I checked what versions I'm running for this mod and it's dependencies, couldn't find anything wrong. I'm not sure if I've done it correctly but here is the player log. When I went to look for the Research Bodies Log in the listed directory, it wasn't there. I assume this might be a clue as to whats going wrong.

Attempted to run the mod with only Contract Configurator, Module Manager and other Reposoft mods, no success.  The research and development building was functioning normally again (new save lvl 1), that might be caused by another mod.

Is there anything I can do to help diagnose and potentially fix the issue? I'm a layman but I'm happy to help in anyway I can (seeing as I'm the one who will benefit).

Edited by MicUK88

15 hours ago, MicUK88 said:

I am also experiencing the same thing. The mod also doesn't seem to function at all for a new save (No observatory, no menu on new save). I checked what versions I'm running for this mod and it's dependencies, couldn't find anything wrong. I'm not sure if I've done it correctly but here is the player log. When I went to look for the Research Bodies Log in the listed directory, it wasn't there. I assume this might be a clue as to whats going wrong.

Attempted to run the mod with only Contract Configurator, Module Manager and other Reposoft mods, no success.  The research and development building was functioning normally again (new save lvl 1), that might be caused by another mod.

Is there anything I can do to help diagnose and potentially fix the issue? I'm a layman but I'm happy to help in anyway I can (seeing as I'm the one who will benefit).

Well, the first thing is to confirm what versions of KSP (1.8.1, according to the log) and RB you're using.  A quick look through the log reveals that you have quite a few mods installed and some crash reports not associated with RB (Kerbal Konstructs, EVE, StageRecovery, Kolony Tools, etc).  To me, it appears something else is setting all of your facilities to level 3, not RB.

When you checked for a RB log, did you look in GameData\RepoSoftTech\ResearchBodies\Plugins\PluginData\?  Have you considered turning on extra debug logging under ResearchBodies in the game difficulty settings when you create a new game?

One way to diagnose is to start with a clean install, then add mods until you recreate the error.  Start with a quarter of your mods.  If the error doesn't occur, add some more.  Keep adding until you find the error.

8 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Well, the first thing is to confirm what versions of KSP (1.8.1, according to the log) and RB you're using.  A quick look through the log reveals that you have quite a few mods installed and some crash reports not associated with RB (Kerbal Konstructs, EVE, StageRecovery, Kolony Tools, etc).  To me, it appears something else is setting all of your facilities to level 3, not RB.

When you checked for a RB log, did you look in GameData\RepoSoftTech\ResearchBodies\Plugins\PluginData\?  Have you considered turning on extra debug logging under ResearchBodies in the game difficulty settings when you create a new game?

One way to diagnose is to start with a clean install, then add mods until you recreate the error.  Start with a quarter of your mods.  If the error doesn't occur, add some more.  Keep adding until you find the error.

When I looked for the RB log, i did indeed look in that directory. I didn't turn on extra debug logging on, but aren't able to as ResearchBodies is failing to appear in the difficulty settings, both on creation of a new game, and in an established game. To be clear, the issue I'm running into is, despite being installed and loading according to AVC and the logs, ResearchBodies does not appear to function on any level in my instance of KSP.

I had actually tried what you suggested and added my findings to my original post. I created a clean install with only RB and it's dependencies, which resulted in the same bug. As far as my understanding goes, it would be redundant to crosscheck it with other mods installed as the same issue has presented itself without other mods installed, suggesting I'm running into an issue with RB itself and not a conflict with another mod.

For the time being I removed RB from my current game (new save). For some reason the R&D building is back to lvl 1, so I'm inclined to think that this was caused by a conflict between RB and other mods, but i can't be 100% sure as this is a fresh install.

Just for a little context, I am a layman when it comes to writing and editing mods, but I'm not new to modding KSP. I have about 1900 hours in game and have been running mods since 2013. It's only in the past few years that I've actually started to try and fix issues with mods myself (messing with cfg files, recompiling older mods etc). That's what i mean when I say I'm a layman. I can only figure out so much when looking over logs and stuff as I don't really know what i should be looking for. Speaking of which, i did find alot of exceptions and errors related to RB in my log. Not sure what they indicate as to the nature of the issue itself. Alot of null returns when it attempts to load things from it.

Having somewhat of an odd issue with this mod. For the record, I am on version 1.7.3, and the possibly-relevant mods I've installed (aside from Research Bodies, obviously) are Tarsier Space Tech, Distant Object Enhancement, and Contract Configurator. I don't think they're the problem but I figure you might ask.

Anyway, the real issue is with Kopernicus and the Extrasolar mod. I'm guessing the default RB configs don't account for planets and bodies farther away than Eeloo, because I can't find them in the space telescopes I have access to. I think I might be able to find Valentine (the star added by Extrasolar) and possibly its planets if I use the "Explore the Sky" Contracts, but it's still very expensive and my budget is tight (in no small part due to the expenses in photographing things for RB). Either RB or the Contract Configurator mod seems to think I have a third mod installed (I have a mission to send up something called a Triple-Z Telescope) which I suppose I could install if I had to. Frankly, I'd rather just modify the configs for RB and/or TST to make them able to see the Extrasolar bodies. Is there an easy way to modify config files to solve this?

22 hours ago, terrendos said:

Having somewhat of an odd issue with this mod. For the record, I am on version 1.7.3, and the possibly-relevant mods I've installed (aside from Research Bodies, obviously) are Tarsier Space Tech, Distant Object Enhancement, and Contract Configurator. I don't think they're the problem but I figure you might ask.

Anyway, the real issue is with Kopernicus and the Extrasolar mod. I'm guessing the default RB configs don't account for planets and bodies farther away than Eeloo, because I can't find them in the space telescopes I have access to. I think I might be able to find Valentine (the star added by Extrasolar) and possibly its planets if I use the "Explore the Sky" Contracts, but it's still very expensive and my budget is tight (in no small part due to the expenses in photographing things for RB). Either RB or the Contract Configurator mod seems to think I have a third mod installed (I have a mission to send up something called a Triple-Z Telescope) which I suppose I could install if I had to. Frankly, I'd rather just modify the configs for RB and/or TST to make them able to see the Extrasolar bodies. Is there an easy way to modify config files to solve this?

depends how far away they are from the telescope. They all have ranges. So if it's too far away, you can't see it... so you have to move it further out in the solar system.

and yes you can change this. it's in the cfg files.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, JPLRepo said:

depends how far away they are from the telescope. They all have ranges. So if it's too far away, you can't see it... so you have to move it further out in the solar system.

and yes you can change this. it's in the cfg files.

Yeah, that's what I figured, that the ranges for the base mod didn't account for more distant planets.

I don't have much experience fiddling with configs, I'm afraid. Would it be GameData/RepoSoftTech/ResearchBodies/ResearchBodiesMMKopernicus.cfg and just add a few zeroes onto each of the values in there? I also see a GameData/TarsierSpaceTech/TSTMMResearchBodies.cfg that looks like it might be relevant.

If I should be asking in the TST thread instead, I'm sorry, just let me know and I'll ask over there. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Oh yeah, went ahead and added a few zeroes onto each of those configs and it seems to have worked. Thanks!

Edited by terrendos

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rover 6428 said:

Hey, I am playing in 1.8.1 and the mod doesn't work for me. I can see all the planets in Career

I'll be a little obvious here - What did you set under the RB options when you created the save?  Did you add RB to an existing save?

1 minute ago, Brigadier said:

I'll be a little obvious here - What did you set under the RB options when you created the save?  Did you add RB to an existing save?

no, I created a new file to test the mod out. Also, I did some testing and I figured out it was just one of my old mods interfiering somehow with the game. Now that I deleted it it works. Sorry

38 minutes ago, Rover 6428 said:

no, I created a new file to test the mod out. Also, I did some testing and I figured out it was just one of my old mods interfiering somehow with the game. Now that I deleted it it works. Sorry

No apologies necessary.  We all go through this process at least once with KSP :)

Greetings all -

I have taken my 1.7.3 save and have gotten on the mods updated to 1.8.1 , I see no error [please keep in mind that I am not a mod expert] but I have bug/hiccup that I can reproduce.

I am playing a modded save the steps that I take to reproduce this is:

1.) Launch KSP 1.8.1
2.) Load in the save
3.) Click on Observatory and see researched bodies.
4.) close out of researched bodies
3.) Click on the tracking station, click on something that is orbit [doesn't seem to matter Kerbin, Mun, etc..] 
4.) Click Fly
5.) Press Esc / Click on Space Center
6.) Click on Observatory
7.) Then KSP is unresponsive.

I thought that the KSP logs were stored at AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program - but this log hasn't been updated since Nov of last year.

Could I please get some guidance on where I can start in determining what might be the problem?

Thank you
GamersCircle

oh ps -
I have enabled the Extra Debug Logging

Edited by gamerscircle

2 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Greetings all -

I have taken my 1.7.3 save and have gotten on the mods updated to 1.8.1 , I see no error [please keep in mind that I am not a mod expert] but I have bug/hiccup that I can reproduce.

1.) Launch KSP 1.8.1
2.) Load in the save
3.) Click on the tracking station, click on something that is orbit [doesn't seem to matter Kerbin, Mun, etc..] 
4.) Click Fly
6.) Click on Observatory

I thought that the KSP logs were stored at AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program - but this log hasn't been updated since Nov of last year.

Could I please get some guidance on where I can start in determining what might be the problem?

Thank you
GamersCircle

oh ps -
I have enabled the Extra Debug Logging

my ksp.log is in the ksp_win64 folder

and the module manager logs are in the logs folder in ksp_win64 folder

the only output.log i seem to have now is for a 1.4.5 instance i run for welding. 

pretty sure you are going to have to use a new save especially when using research bodies. I've never had any luck doing anything else besides that. 

Let us try this again..

Hi, I have been playing KSP for over 4 yrs and I do my best to help those that want to play an have fun when the pop by on my twitch stream.

Logs?!?!  I have a shortcut on my desktop that takes me to where the logs are, but the particular log has changed?  It used to be that the log that was wanted was " output_log.txt " , but that has recently changed to " Player.log " ??  Is this true?

When I look at page one of this mod's forums, it validates what used to be? 

"KSP versions 1.4.0 and above:

Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt"

However; when I got to link for the logs it states this:

KSP versions 1.8.0 and above:

Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log

This is what I was asking on my original post. [wow..]

The issue that I have and that I can reproduce is:

1.) Launch KSP 1.8.1
2.) Load in the save
4.) Click Fly
6.) Click on Observatory

The logs are on my google drive here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nTj0fAiB6jJ7Ynf6whGmG3VT0QGfI9ut/view?usp=sharing

My mod list is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0Lb3cTW2iBYcjOgSqp1K5Cf-8Z-gsBnA9zEdlqtbwo/edit#gid=0

Thank you for the support

5 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Logs?!?!  I have a shortcut on my desktop that takes me to where the logs are, but the particular log has changed?  It used to be that the log that was wanted was " output_log.txt " , but that has recently changed to " Player.log " ??  Is this true?

Yes.  Under 1.8+, the player.log replaces output_log.txt.  The latter no longer exists. 

Ran into the same issue as GamersCircle.

Clicked on the observatory to check progress. Got input locks, the game then loads and saves all celestial bodies as found and 100% tracked and known.

Upon loading the persistent save, all bodies are unlocked/known.  

Repro steps :

Launch 1.8.1 Ksp

Reach 100% research on one bodies orbit.

Click Observatory.

*The local time of bug was after 2:04:00* 

KSP playerLog : (Appdata playerlog) https://www.dropbox.com/s/pai70mkcf7o9nw7/PlayerlogModded.log?dl=0

KSP log : (KSP log in folder the game .exe is in) https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7busx1mmelhohf/KSP.log?dl=0

Screenshots :  https://imgur.com/0H4En3M The input locks.

#2 :  https://imgur.com/llVS9TL  Console.

Mod List https://imgur.com/o6FbtE6

Let me know if theres more you need.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have removed all mods except the necessary ones for the planetpack, except for TarsierSpaceTech, Kerbal engineer and Tweak Scale. All module manager configs deleted, Settings deleted, Brand new save.

Logs :  Player Log https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9n9lb53aeijybe/Player2.log?dl=0

KSP .exe Log : https://www.dropbox.com/s/39870uvo995rpi1/KSP2.log?dl=0

Screenshot of mods https://imgur.com/UKWQt1r

Takes about 10 min to reproduce this. Start new game, Cheat in money and science. Level up tracking station and RND to tier 2, unlock Space telescope, Build craft with basic control a return pod, and the telescope with a probecore. Set orbit around home planet. Take photo of moon, beam science. Transfer burn into SOI of moon, decouple crafts, Capture burn both crafts. Take another photo of the moon in its own SOI. Return home with crew, Click observatory.

Once you reach 100% research on any body, all other bodies become known/unlocked(all orbits known/planet names/ ect.)

Upon clicking observatory, the KSC hud dissapears, and you cant do anything but open Console, and move the camera around. 

Edited by Gormirn
Additional repro with less mods. Both reports here are still *Brand new saves* with *brand new modulemanager configs, and KSP settings*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ResearchBodies doesn't block me from seeing the planets that aren't researched.

KSP 1.8.1

Modlist: https://imgur.com/a/rXLJbuo

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zu4v5ogafnbclp/KSP.log?dl=0

I set the research bodies setting on hard and I even look in persistent.cfg and set to the way I want it, but it still shows me everything.

For some reason the log is 131MB? It's probably some loop.

I'll be glad to follow up with any other things that you want from me.

17 hours ago, Plundration said:

ResearchBodies doesn't block me from seeing the planets that aren't researched.

KSP 1.8.1

Modlist: https://imgur.com/a/rXLJbuo

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zu4v5ogafnbclp/KSP.log?dl=0

I set the research bodies setting on hard and I even look in persistent.cfg and set to the way I want it, but it still shows me everything.

For some reason the log is 131MB? It's probably some loop.

I'll be glad to follow up with any other things that you want from me.

The first apparent problem  is with MiniAVC.  It's creating a ton of log spam, which explains the size.  And the log doesn't seem complete, either.

There is a problem with MiniAVC, so consider disabling it with the mod ZeroMiniAVC.  See this post