[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

1 hour ago, VaPaL said:

@Deimos Rast Yep, I know he is the creator of TST, that's why I asked :D

I just didn't know that there's already an integration, still early in my new career, my first TST telescope is going up today or tomorrow, so I haven't 'tested' they together yet! :wink:

Probably easy to miss as it was buried in the Changelog for TST on the TST thread. But I've addeed it to the TST opening post now.
It is mentioned in the opening post of this thread (and has been since I started it).

Cool! It's really easy for me to miss things, and I've known this two mods fore a while, but was waiting to start my new career to use them. So I didn't read that carefully the OPs since I "already knew everything" :blush: hehe

Edited by VaPaL

Ok I think I've got the code working with kopernicus and sigma binaries, etc as well as that mission control bug. I'll do some more testing and hopefully have an update out tomorrow. There is still a long list of things (save file revert, the telescope seeing through Kerbin, plus I have heaps more to go on improving the code and overall GUI etc), but if I hold off to fix it all it will probably be another week or two before I can get out an update.

V1.7.2 Published. See the OP for links and changelog.
This is still work in progress and a lot more to do. but I wanted to get an update out to fix that bug with mission control.

Next update will probably be a number of weeks while I progress to improve the code, clean things up and add features.
Enjoy!

Did a proof of concept on some texture details/occlusion and grayscale settings in flight today. Thanks to @DMagic for some starter code he had already written.
Some good results, and still a lot of work to do...
Need to figure out how to turn off EVE clouds, Scatterer effects. (I also noticed some strange effect with the water when returning to the space center that I have to figure out).
But this gives you an idea of what I am thinking of doing. I'll do some more with say Laythe and other planets a bit later and add to the album.

More examples added to album.
UPDATE: Got it working in the tracking station and hooked up to ResearchBodies. So most of the ground work is now done.
Just have to deal with the EVE clouds and tweaks around the details/grayness for some of th bodies (especially those with water).

Edited by JPLRepo

8 hours ago, Enceos said:

@JPLRepo I'm so happy you managed to add this feature to the mod. I'm still holding off on installing planet packs until I get my hands on it, that gonna add so much to the feeilng of discovery.

r1rhQ0V.png

Still working on it. But it looks promising. Hope to have something this weekend, but no promises (tm) :P

On 6/2/2016 at 7:47 PM, JPLRepo said:

(I also noticed some strange effect with the water when returning to the space center that I have to figure out)

Just as a note and don't know if this is related or not but Scatterer, with my gigantic mod list, does occasionally give birth to a small purple cow and causes the lighting/water to start acting funky (like displaying the ocean in orbit :D or losing all detail at KSC) and a simple rebuild of the oceans on Scatterer's alt+f10 page removes the image defects.  I'm pretty sure this is caused by some sort of weird cross conflict I have going on and it's rare that it happens but it's information that seems similar to what you describe so make of it what you will.

On 09/06/2016 at 6:17 AM, JPLRepo said:

Still working on it. But it looks promising. Hope to have something this weekend, but no promises (tm) :P

Update on some progress. I have completed the coding to turn EVE clouds and cities on and off based on the detail setting for each celestial body. Still a lot of work to do to clean up the code, and bring it all together. I think contracts will have to be a future version (not next version). Next version I am hoping to just have the body detail settings working and the code all working nicely together.
Ignore the GUI/Window in the pics, that's just for debugging/development purposes. It won't be in the released version.

Spoiler

Edited by JPLRepo

4 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I'm confused. Why would we not see the clouds in our first blurry pictures of a newly discovered body?

You are right... that was for testing... I need to work on the details and settings. Unfortunately there is no easy way to blur the clouds using the methods I am currently using. So I might have to re-think it or come up with something else to deal with clouds.

44 minutes ago, Sobas said:

Dude, this is glorious.
Want to feel the same when first looked at Pluto then in glorious rez.

Yeah so true )

Same with Ceres, I was following the Dawn mission throughout the year and it was so exciting to see more and more details pop up in the photos. They're launching Cassini into its final descent through the Saturn rings next year. I so want to see those photos, until now we could only imagine what's inside the rings.

Edited by Enceos

1 hour ago, Enceos said:

@JPLRepo To enhance the feeling of discovery I would make the lowest heightmap resolution of 32px for Detail Level 1. 64 is still too vivid for a newly discovered planet.

Working on it. Currently it only works with the mipmaps that exist for each body. Have to see if I can procedurally generate them or work on the various settings or an overlay. Of course it has to be efficient as well.

14 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Working on it. Currently it only works with the mipmaps that exist for each body. Have to see if I can procedurally generate them or work on the various settings or an overlay. Of course it has to be efficient as well.

I see, so 64px is the lowest mipmap stored?

Edited by Enceos

Hi, I'm having trouble using this mod. I can't seem to get the telescope to work on any body. Even when I'm pointing straight at Minmus, which is less than 100 km away, the research bodies window says its empty space. I've also tried Eve and Duna and neither are picked up by the telescope. Am I doing something wrong? 

14 hours ago, Enceos said:

I see, so 64px is the lowest mipmaps store?

I need to double check. On initial inspection I thought they were.

1 hour ago, Guiltyspark said:

Hi, I'm having trouble using this mod. I can't seem to get the telescope to work on any body. Even when I'm pointing straight at Minmus, which is less than 100 km away, the research bodies window says its empty space. I've also tried Eve and Duna and neither are picked up by the telescope. Am I doing something wrong? 

Quite possibly, but you have given virtually no information for me to provide you with any real assistance.
What game mode are you playing? (Career?)
Is your Tracking station level 2 or 3?
A log file might provide some valuable information if you are getting some errors in your log.  (See the OP section called Support:).

7 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Quite possibly, but you have given virtually no information for me to provide you with any real assistance.
What game mode are you playing? (Career?)
Is your Tracking station level 2 or 3?
A log file might provide some valuable information if you are getting some errors in your log.  (See the OP section called Support:).

Sorry for the lack of information. I was using Career mode with a level 2 tracking station. After smashing that "research bodies" button for an hour, I was able to pick up most of the bodies, so I guess the mod was working correctly. However, Eve, Vall, and a couple bodies beyond Jool (I'm using the Outer Planets mod) could never be detected (200 clicks each with Mechjeb pointing the telescope right at them guidance). Finding some of the other bodies also required a lot of luck. I couldn't pick up Moho while targeting it, but did end up detecting it when I was targeting Jool (the two were mostly aligned at the time). 

Perhaps in the future, you could use a system where the telescope scans in an outward spiral pattern from the initial point it is oriented toward?

EDIT: Here is a log, but the mod was working correctly. There are some errors related to DeadlyReentry and Sigma Binary. I'll use a vanilla build next if you think these were somehow affecting your mod.

Edited by Guiltyspark
Added log

1 hour ago, Guiltyspark said:

Sorry for the lack of information. I was using Career mode with a level 2 tracking station. After smashing that "research bodies" button for an hour, I was able to pick up most of the bodies, so I guess the mod was working correctly. However, Eve, Vall, and a couple bodies beyond Jool (I'm using the Outer Planets mod) could never be detected (200 clicks each with Mechjeb pointing the telescope right at them guidance). Finding some of the other bodies also required a lot of luck. I couldn't pick up Moho while targeting it, but did end up detecting it when I was targeting Jool (the two were mostly aligned at the time). 

Perhaps in the future, you could use a system where the telescope scans in an outward spiral pattern from the initial point it is oriented toward?

EDIT: Here is a log, but the mod was working correctly. There are some errors related to DeadlyReentry and Sigma Binary. I'll use a vanilla build next if you think these were somehow affecting your mod.

Ok thanks. I think the discovery logic needs some improvement. I'll definitely look into it for the next version.

This mod is going to take a bit longer to get ready for KSP 1.1.3 as I am in the middle of major re-write and feature inclusion (as per earlier posts).
Hopefully the wait won't be too long and it will be worth it. Hang in there!

2 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

This mod is going to take a bit longer to get ready for KSP 1.1.3 as I am in the middle of major re-write and feature inclusion (as per earlier posts).
Hopefully the wait won't be too long and it will be worth it. Hang in there!

Great news ! I'm really looking forward to seeing what it'll look like :)