[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I think it was said a few pages back that reasearch bodies won't work when injecting into a current save and one would have to start a new career

It seems to be working just fine besides there being no applauncher, which I don't think I really need. If anyone knows what file to edit to change the difficulty then I think it will be fine.

See the changelog on the last version:

*If you load a save file that was created before you installed ResearchBodies - ResearchBodies will now correctly update the save with the necessary ResearchBodies information and automatically turn ResearchBodies on. The default difficulty setting will be used as to which bodies you will be able to see.   
*You should restart KSP any time you disable or enable ResearchBodies in a save game.

I've found the problems with the contracts for telescopes and the Observatory and Tracking Station level checks.
But ran out of time to finish testing it. Hopefully can get a release out sometime next week with these fixes.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:11 AM, RonnieThePotato said:

It seems to be working just fine besides there being no applauncher, which I don't think I really need. If anyone knows what file to edit to change the difficulty then I think it will be fine.

There is no AppLauncher Icon in this mod any more.
You access the CelestialBody information in the Observatory Facility at the KSC.
You access the difficulty settings via the stock menus.
You can't change the difficulty on a started game.
You set them when you start a new game via the Difficulty Settings stock menu for a new career game.

V1.9.4 Published.
Changelog:
*Fix Tracking Station and Observatory Upgrade Level checks for contracts.
*Fix Range checks for Observatory and Vessels with Telescopes for contracts.
*Fix MapNodes appearing in MapView when there are orbits available for any contracts.
*Localized strings for the Observatory Facility UI Menus and added Range Information to it's UI.
*Fix Bodies discovery levels when you switch saves in the same KSP session, including modded bodies.
*Added Facility Background and Contracts information to the Observatory Facility UI screen.

New Observatory Facility UI:

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

V1.9.4 Published.
Changelog:
*Fix Tracking Station and Observatory Upgrade Level checks for contracts.
*Fix Range checks for Observatory and Vessels with Telescopes for contracts.
*Fix MapNodes appearing in MapView when there are orbits available for any contracts.
*Localized strings for the Observatory Facility UI Menus and added Range Information to it's UI.
*Fix Bodies discovery levels when you switch saves in the same KSP session, including modded bodies.
*Added Facility Background and Contracts information to the Observatory Facility UI screen.

New Observatory Facility UI:

Reveal hidden contents

AVC shows, that version 1.9.5 is available. Is some fix following or can I ignore it? :)

2 minutes ago, maja said:

AVC shows, that version 1.9.5 is available. Is some fix following or can I ignore it? :)

I think that's a typo although all of the readme files and the .version file say 1.9.4.  Forgot to update the version number, perhaps?

Edited by Brigadier

8 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I think that's a typo although all of the readme files and the .version file say 1.9.4.  Forgot to update the version number, perhaps?

It's probably a typo in the version file on AVC site, but I'm asking to be sure.

Edited by maja

11 minutes ago, DocRockwell said:

This updated version causes the tracking station to take a very long time to load.

Logs please.

34 minutes ago, maja said:

It's probably a typo in the version file on AVC site, but I'm asking to be sure.

32 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Agreed. The new version works as advertised, though, so it's a minor inconvenience.

Woops my bad... it's 1.9.4. Updated AVC

@JPLRepo It seem's, that I found a bug. I had found bodies and one research pending, but after update there is only Sun, Kerbin and Mun in the Observatory (hard setting). Even if I find them again or change isResearched and researchState in a persistent file in the ResearchBodies scenario, it's reset back to false and zero respectively.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouopg4g4chv515h/KSP.log?dl=0

EDIT: I tested it in a clean install with just a few mods like Kerbal Engineer to quickly find Minmus and tried to track a body. Minmus was successfuly found and research points added, but there isn't entry in the Observatory to start research.

Edited by maja

The new background for the observatory is beautiful!

Unfortunately, after exiting the observatory it (the new background) is displayed in my onscreen Kerbal alarm clock window. It's scaled to fit the smaller window, but not transparent. So I can no longer read the upcoming alarm events.

Have to admit, it's one of the strangest yet coolest bugs I've ever seen in this game!

Sorry, I don't know how to post a log (I'm just an old welder with minimal computer skills).

28 minutes ago, Fixitman said:

Sorry, I don't know how to post a log (I'm just an old welder with minimal computer skills).

Respectfully, it's not all that hard and if you're going to seek help from a mod author in the future, you really need to be able to do this to assist in the process.  Some authors will not help unless you can because it isn't worth their time to try and diagnose a problem without log files and/or pictures.  And, it's just good mod user etiquette.

Go to your KSP install directory and find either the /KSP_Data or /KSP_x64_Data folder (for a 32-bit or a 64-bit game, respectively).  Upload a copy of the output_log.txt file you'll find there to a file sharing/cloud service, such as DropBox, GoogleDrive, or OneDrive.  Post a link to that upload to this topic.  Do not post the contents of the file directly to the topic since it can be long, it's hard to search on the forum, and it can screw up people using mobile devices.

Also, see this topic for more complex problems.

Have fun.

48 minutes ago, maja said:

Regarding the new background, it's displayed in every window with the default KSP skin.

Thanks. Yes I know what the problem is from the moment it was mentioned.

ill do a fix when I can.

13 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Hmm.. I see you are playing with RSS and other planet mods.
I would guess it's because of the textures for all those planets.
I'll have to look into it when I've got a bit of time (run out for today).

With research bodies it takes between 17 - 25 seconds to enter tracking station. Without Research bodies installed it takes always less than 5 seconds.

I have nearly 200 mods through CKAN, but not those.  I'll fire up logs in the AM. 

18 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Hmm.. I see you are playing with RSS and other planet mods.
I would guess it's because of the textures for all those planets.
I'll have to look into it when I've got a bit of time (run out for today).

Should be just RSS, what other planet mods are showing up in my log? Had RSS Constellations before, but it was causing the game to crash when entering the tracking station with Research Bodies, so I uninstalled it and was pretty sure I started a new career game.

I seemed to have lost the RSS Research Bodies patch (posted a few pages back) when I updated. After adding that back in and downgrading the RSS textures from 8k to 4k, the Earth and Moon are discovered and fully researched again, and the tracking station isn't taking as long to load.

I do have another problem, perhaps I'm just not doing this right, as its my first time using Research Bodies. I have a fully upgraded observatory and finished two search the skies contract (almost 2 years) and didn't discover any bodies. Got the telescope in orbit, pointed it around, used the track feature, and discovered Mars and Venus. The new planets gave me the science bonus and showed up in the telescopes tracking window, but when I go to the observatory no new planets are listed. How do I progress from here?

Edited by DocRockwell

9 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Thanks. Yes I know what the problem is from the moment it was mentioned.

ill do a fix when I can.

It wasn't meant to rush a fix. Just to clarify things for others, who are using your mod :)

I've fixed the skin problem with the new Observatory background appearing where it shouldn't.
I've fixed the issue with discovered bodies not appearing in the observatory.
I've fixed the issue with loading another save in the same session not resetting the bodies visibility correctly (is related to the previous one).
But I can't reproduce the problem with the contracts not finding bodies at the end of the contract, it works for me (anyone having that issue, a log file (particularly the ResearchBodies log file (See the OP for where to find this)) would help me greatly with that.
I need to look at the issue with loading in the TS with other planet mods installed.
Once I've fixed these last two I'll release an update.

Edit: Contracts are working fine for me.. might be related to the other fixes.
As for RSS - Planets - I will look at those once that mod actually supports 1.3+ Too many variables given that currently it's a hack job to get it to work in 1.3.0

5 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

Should be just RSS, what other planet mods are showing up in my log? Had RSS Constellations before, but it was causing the game to crash when entering the tracking station with Research Bodies, so I uninstalled it and was pretty sure I started a new career game.

I seemed to have lost the RSS Research Bodies patch (posted a few pages back) when I updated. After adding that back in and downgrading the RSS textures from 8k to 4k, the Earth and Moon are discovered and fully researched again, and the tracking station isn't taking as long to load.

I do have another problem, perhaps I'm just not doing this right, as its my first time using Research Bodies. I have a fully upgraded observatory and finished two search the skies contract (almost 2 years) and didn't discover any bodies. Got the telescope in orbit, pointed it around, used the track feature, and discovered Mars and Venus. The new planets gave me the science bonus and showed up in the telescopes tracking window, but when I go to the observatory no new planets are listed. How do I progress from here?

The delay is because this mod has to load the textures for all the planets. So with 8K textures.. it will take time.
The not appearing in the Observatory after finding them with a telescope will be fixed in 1.9.5.
The other issue about the contracts not finding anything... could be distance related. If you don't have the patch for RSS installed or working for this Mod it's possible the planets are just too far away. This could be confirmed by looking at the logs.

V1.9.5 published.
*Fix fix loading different saves in the one KSP session to show body visibility correctly.
*Fix fix discovery of bodies via telescopes and contracts actually appearing in the Observatory (related to the previous).
*Fix the Observatory background texture not showing in any other UI window that uses the default KSP UI skin.
*Show the correct Observatory Ranges when Kopernicus is installed in the Observatory Facility upgrade stats window.