[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

6 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

V1.9.5 published.
*Fix fix loading different saves in the one KSP session to show body visibility correctly.
*Fix fix discovery of bodies via telescopes and contracts actually appearing in the Observatory (related to the previous).
*Fix the Observatory background texture not showing in any other UI window that uses the default KSP UI skin.
*Show the correct Observatory Ranges when Kopernicus is installed in the Observatory Facility upgrade stats window.

As far as I can tell, everything is working. Thanks for you work.

8 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

The delay is because this mod has to load the textures for all the planets. So with 8K textures.. it will take time.
The not appearing in the Observatory after finding them with a telescope will be fixed in 1.9.5.
The other issue about the contracts not finding anything... could be distance related. If you don't have the patch for RSS installed or working for this Mod it's possible the planets are just too far away. This could be confirmed by looking at the logs.

On 7/5/2017 at 10:37 PM, Jetski said:

Finished the config file - available here if anyone else is looking for RSS or Stock Size RSS compatibility.  Just drop the file into your GameData directory.  It SEEMS to be working, feel free to message me if there's anything amiss.  I lost interest in writing flavor text (geez there are a lot of moons in our solar system) and started cutting and pasting the descriptions of the moons from the Kopernicus files.  Happy for any interested party to improve as needed :) Anyway, they show up correctly in the tracking station on the various difficulty settings, so I'll start a playthrough tomorrow to test the tech.

I'm using the the patch linked here, on page 14. It doesn't adjust any of the maxtrackdistance or observatory range parameters found in the ResearchBodiesMMKopernicus.cfg though. If i just increase the values in ResearchBodiesMMKopernicus.cfg would that do the trick? I've increased them all by a factor of 10 for now.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

I'm using the the patch linked here, on page 14. It doesn't adjust any of the maxtrackdistance or observatory range parameters found in the ResearchBodiesMMKopernicus.cfg though. If i just increase the values in ResearchBodiesMMKopernicus.cfg would that do the trick? I've increased them all by a factor of 10 for now.

Cheers!

The patch file in 1.9.5 is all you need.

Still having issues with the search the skies with a telescope contract.  It says complete for the altitude portion, but says unmet for With Module: Track Bodies and Count: at least 1.  

In the VAB, the telescope says it has the Track Bodies and I verified the ModuleTrackBodies is in the telescope.cfg.  I even have the Tarsier Space telescope(the James Webb style one) up and it appears to have the Track Bodies modules as well, but for the life of me I can't find the cfg file that adds it, as it's not in the original part.  

Any ideas?

Sorry forgot player.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qeew5mhexaa1r17/Player.log.zip?dl=0

Edited by Eugene Moreau
forgot player.log

Continued from GPP: the "shininess" happens on planets that have any transparency on the texture, which GPP has several. The screenshot posted in My thread was of the home planet and is discovered by default when the game starts. The other bodies with transparency, also look the same upon discovery. 

Edited by Galileo

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

Continued from GPP: the "shininess" happens on planets that have any transparency on the texture, which GPP has several. The screenshot posted in My thread was of the home planet and is discovered by default when the game starts. The other bodies with transparency, also look the same upon discovery. 

ok. I'll have a look into it when I have some time over the weekend.

On 7/23/2017 at 2:29 AM, FirroSeranel said:

In that case, I suspect a Contract Configurator bug. I have similar problems with Clever Sats not recognizing that I had access to deployable antennas.

Yet other contract packs work fine (SCANSat, Tourism Plus, Bases and Stations). I scoured all the configs and logs for all four mods plus CC, as well as the save, and ksp.log, and could find nothing amiss, and nothing done particularly differently in the two that weren't working versus the two that were. So, stumped, I sadly uninstalled Clever Sats and Research Bodies

Also pinging @nightingale since it may involve a CC bug (Some of the issues are shared with CleverSats)

I was also not getting the Clever Sat contracts to generate for the same reason. I found a temporary solution to the problem by using this MM patch:

Spoiler

@CONTRACT_TYPE[CleverSatCore]:AFTER[ResearchBodies]
{
    !REQUIREMENT[Any]{}
    REQUIREMENT
    {
        name = Any
        type = Any

REQUIREMENT
        {
            name = PartModuleUnlocked
            type = PartModuleUnlocked

partModule = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
        }
        REQUIREMENT:NEEDS[Kopernicus]
        {

partModule = KopernicusSolarPanel
        }
        REQUIREMENT:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]
        {

partModule = ModuleCurvedSolarPanel
        }    
    }
}

Two things to note: 1) This MM does not work when using :AFTER[CleverSats] and only works with :AFTER[ResearchBodies]. 2) I effectively replaced REQUIREMENT[Any] with the exact same requirement copied from another contract that was working (Bases and Stations). 

Separately and possibly related, craft that are already in orbit, with solar panels that are already deployed, suddenly have them retracted when I revisit them from the Tracking Station. Also, the assigned action group to deploy them does not work. The only way to deploy them is through the part action window. After redeployment, everything appears to be working fine.

Log file without the above patch applied: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec8bou4xd2a0d66/output_log.txt?dl=0

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Stratickus said:

I was also not getting the Clever Sat contracts to generate for the same reason. I found a temporary solution to the problem by using this MM patch:

Hide contents

@CONTRACT_TYPE[CleverSatCore]:AFTER[ResearchBodies]
{
    !REQUIREMENT[Any]{}
    REQUIREMENT
    {
        name = Any
        type = Any

REQUIREMENT
        {

partModule = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
        }
        REQUIREMENT:NEEDS[Kopernicus]
        {

partModule = KopernicusSolarPanel
        }
        REQUIREMENT:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]
        {

partModule = ModuleCurvedSolarPanel
        }    
    }
}

Two things to note: 1) This MM does not work when using :AFTER[CleverSats] and only works with :AFTER[ResearchBodies]. 2) I effectively replaced REQUIREMENT[Any] with the exact same requirement copied from another contract that was working (Bases and Stations). 

Separately and possibly related, craft that are already in orbit, with solar panels that are already deployed, suddenly have them retracted when I revisit them from the Tracking Station. Also, the assigned action group to deploy them does not work. The only way to deploy them is through the part action window. After redeployment, everything appears to be working fine.

Log file without the above patch applied: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec8bou4xd2a0d66/output_log.txt?dl=0

Cheers,

I'm trying to figure out why this is posted in this thread.. but cannot.
I see a log full of errors from various mods.. but not one error from this mod.
You also describe problems with other mods such as a contract pack? and functions such as solar panels that this mod does nothing with.
Just trying to understand why you think there is a problem with this mod?

16 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

I'm trying to figure out why this is posted in this thread.. but cannot.
I see a log full of errors from various mods.. but not one error from this mod.
You also describe problems with other mods such as a contract pack? and functions such as solar panels that this mod does nothing with.
Just trying to understand why you think there is a problem with this mod?

Partly because FirroSeranel was having the same problem, but mainly because the patch that I posted only worked with :AFTER[ResearchBodies]and only with that qualifier. I fully admit that it is weird and do not understand it myself. If the logs don't have anything useful, then there isn't anything useful.

Cheers,

Thanks simon56modder, JPLRepo and all who have contributed to this mod.

I now have two mods I consider should have been original content. The first one was Alarm Clock. That one really solved some serious issues. And, now these too; Researchbodies and TarsierSpaceTech. Life support, extended technologies, and even planet mods, as fun as they are and almost necessary, I have to consider them all to be extras. But, planets need to be discovered and this fills a big hole in career mode IMO.

I noticed two things;

1) When I find a planet from the OPM I get science credit and all but the discovery text doesn’t make sense except for the name of the body discovered. I read in the OPM thread by Galileo that this can be fixed with a .cfg file added to either mod (just about anywhere in the gamedata folder) and suggestions on how to do it but I have had no luck with it.

2) When I take a research by telescope mission, I go to a telescope in orbit, find "one new body" and the red mark in the contract status thingy disappears and the countdown starts from 90 days. When I leave the telescope for some time, say do a mission to Mun and back, the red mark is back but the countdown continues. Going to a telescope fixes it and as far as I can tell, I would need to check this specifically to be sure but, it completes the mission with all due science awarded even if ignored.  It seems like a glitch to me but I could be missing something.

Suggestions;

I need to read more but I have seen mention of planet pack compatibility, and I just motioned one aspect of that above, but continued contract packs for added planet packs would be awesome. I use OPM because my system can't handle anything like Galileo's Planet Pack. I tried New Horizons because it is small enough to play but it messed up the contracts because the Mun is too hard to get to at that level of tech.

What would really be the ultimate direction I'd like to see this mod going in is this; A planet pack that randomly creates a new solar system (always keeping the home planet and Mun together) each time we start a new career mode. The idea being that we are clueless about our solar system and we have to use these telescopes to learn that other planets exist and where they are. Random creation is probably asking too much but a few mods like OPM with variances would really add life to KSP. I would love to start a new game with no clue about what I will find out there.

Thanks again, great work!

Edited by Capt. Kermit

I found one, maybe two, small bugs. I don't know, if the second one is a feature or not. First, the sentence, that body is fully researched, displays parent's name. Second, even if research state of a body is 100% the research plan button is displayed.

3fE27Aq.jpg

Edited by maja

13 minutes ago, maja said:

I found one, maybe two, small bugs. I don't know, if the second one is a feature or not. First, the sentence, that body is fully researched, displays parent's name. Second, even if research state of a body is 100% the research plan button is displayed.

3fE27Aq.jpg

First one. yeah that looks like a bug.
Second one, if you are referring to the screenshot as well. That is a feature. If you click the button all research is cancelled. and the body is unknown again.

15 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

First one. yeah that looks like a bug.
Second one, if you are referring to the screenshot as well. That is a feature. If you click the button all research is cancelled. and the body is unknown again.

Ah, ok. I remember, that in earlier versions that button disappeared after a full research was done. Therefore I wasn't sure.

Just now, maja said:

Ah, ok. I remember, that in earlier versions that button disappeared after a full research was done. Therefore I wasn't sure.

NPs. I'll check it out... it kinda doesn't make sense when I think about it tbh. Think I'll remove it.

2 hours ago, Capt. Kermit said:

Thanks simon56modder, JPLRepo and all who have contributed to this mod.

I now have two mods I consider should have been original content. The first one was Alarm Clock. That one really solved some serious issues. And, now these too; Researchbodies and TarsierSpaceTech. Life support, extended technologies, and even planet mods, as fun as they are and almost necessary, I have to consider them all to be extras. But, planets need to be discovered and this fills a big hole in career mode IMO.

I noticed two things;

1) When I find a planet from the OPM I get science credit and all but the discovery text doesn’t make sense except for the name of the body discovered. I read in the OPM thread by Galileo that this can be fixed with a .cfg file added to either mod (just about anywhere in the gamedata folder) and suggestions on how to do it but I have had no luck with it.

2) When I take a research by telescope mission, I go to a telescope in orbit, find "one new body" and the red mark in the contract status thingy disappears and the countdown starts from 90 days. When I leave the telescope for some time, say do a mission to Mun and back, the red mark is back but the countdown continues. Going to a telescope fixes it and as far as I can tell, I would need to check this specifically to be sure but, it completes the mission with all due science awarded even if ignored.  It seems like a glitch to me but I could be missing something.

Suggestions;

I need to read more but I have seen mention of planet pack compatibility, and I just motioned one aspect of that above, but continued contract packs for added planet packs would be awesome. I use OPM because my system can't handle anything like Galileo's Planet Pack. I tried New Horizons because it is small enough to play but it messed up the contracts because the Mun is too hard to get to at that level of tech.

What would really be the ultimate direction I'd like to see this mod going in is this; A planet pack that randomly creates a new solar system (always keeping the home planet and Mun together) each time we start a new career mode. The idea being that we are clueless about our solar system and we have to use these telescopes to learn that other planets exist and where they are. Random creation is probably asking too much but a few mods like OPM with variances would really add life to KSP. I would love to start a new game with no clue about what I will find out there.

Thanks again, great work!

Thanks. Glad you like it.
1 - Yep that's been talked about before. Pretty sure it will be updated for OPM when OPM is actually updated to support 1.3+.
2 - The contract statuses resetting or changing when you leave the current vessel is stock game behavior. It does the same on stock missions. As long as you satisfy it the first time and the timer starts you don't have to do it again.

52 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

2 - The contract statuses resetting or changing when you leave the current vessel is stock game behavior. It does the same on stock missions. As long as you satisfy it the first time and the timer starts you don't have to do it again.

You need to go to a telescope after timer ends to finish the contract, get research points and progress in a body research. Tested hour ago. It's not a problem, just good to know if someone is new to this cool mod.

1 hour ago, maja said:

You need to go to a telescope after timer ends to finish the contract, get research points and progress in a body research. Tested hour ago. It's not a problem, just good to know if someone is new to this cool mod.

Hmm. That shouldn't occur. Might be a CC thing. I'll look into it.

10 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Thanks. Glad you like it.
1 - Yep that's been talked about before. Pretty sure it will be updated for OPM when OPM is actually updated to support 1.3+.

Like is not a strong enough word. This fits so well it really should have been part of the original idea of career mode. I feel like I owe you a six pack at least.

Quote from Galileo -

"Here is OPM for 1.3

This is a version of OPM maintained by Galileo
This version of Outer Planets Mod is for KSP version 1.3
I will host this version until CaptRobau takes it over, or if he wants it taken down."

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/93999-121-outer-planets-mod-21-biome-overhaul-more-biomes-more-interesting-names-better-looking-etc-17-nov/&page=171#comment-3119546

On 8/19/2017 at 3:07 PM, Capt. Kermit said:

Like is not a strong enough word. This fits so well it really should have been part of the original idea of career mode. I feel like I owe you a six pack at least.

Quote from Galileo -

"Here is OPM for 1.3

This is a version of OPM maintained by Galileo
This version of Outer Planets Mod is for KSP version 1.3
I will host this version until CaptRobau takes it over, or if he wants it taken down."

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/93999-121-outer-planets-mod-21-biome-overhaul-more-biomes-more-interesting-names-better-looking-etc-17-nov/&page=171#comment-3119546

Why not link the latest version?? It has research bodies support:

Edited by Galileo

On 8/23/2017 at 8:02 PM, Capt. Kermit said:

To continue my previous post;

Those logs go to a post that didn't get through I guess. Just as well. It had bad information.

I'm having trouble with the search the skies contracts not counting down. At first I thought it had something to do with the Science lab but even if all I do is try to run out the search contracts and map the solar system the contracts simply stop counting down at a seemingly random time; thought it might have been happening on a particular date but I got past that too. On my last run through I ran out the ones I had but when I started new ones they never started the countdown.

Galileo - I wasn't aware of it yet. Thanks, DLing now.

Follow-up;

I'm dealing with only 6GB of RAM so I'm constantly stripping out stuff I don't use and I experiment a bit with modding too. Eg; in this install I run New Horizons but I delete the Kerbin, Mun, and Minmuss .cfg files. Anyway, I did a minimalist clean install and tried again from an early save looking for a trigger or any clue to why the countdowns are stopping. It happens after I start getting picture contracts, after I have mapped at least one orbit other than Minmuss, after I hit year two into the game, and I noticed that when it happens all available contracts dapperer except the telescope contracts. I have new logs from the clean install if you think they'll help.

http://jmp.sh/3E9K0kD

http://jmp.sh/1hXnC52

Added 4hrs later;

Well, I can't get new contracts and that has stalled mapping orbits but the telescopes still work and I can discover bodies. So, in Kerbal style, not to be detoured by minor malfunctions, I've been pushing on to see what I can discover. I think I can finish but it will be challenging. In fact it might be interesting to consider a version or option for this challenge. Once I discover a body with the 75mm scope I can target it. Then I can use the deep space scope to ID it(take a picture). BTW, when I take a picture of a body it gives me the name in the text but it remains an unknown object in the tracking station and everywhere else. Can it be made so that the name appears after a picture is taken? Anyway, once I can target the body Alarm Clock will calculate a launch window. With that it's just a matter of getting a probe out there to finish discovery and get its orbit.

After the counters stopped I did have one contract that did complete itself. For a moment I thought they were still running and it just wasn't showing in the display. With that one finished it gave me the next one but it won't count down.

I did find a workaround of sorts. If you go into cheats (Alt + F12) go to contracts, active, and click complete on the stuck ones it starts over. It starts with the take a pic of Minmuss even but the contracts are running again and I can keep mapping the solar system. I'll see if it will let me finish.

BTW, I have added Galileo's OPM and put back all I took out earlier and it is now using less RAM than before. I mean like 1.2GB less. ??????????????

Thanks again Galileo, JPLRepo, and all modders and the Squad team. Great work. You keep me up at night. :kiss:

Edited by Capt. Kermit
folowup

Hello,
I was wondering if you "officially" recommend planet packs and graphical updates for your mod?
I'm mainly hoping you have a preferred planet pack.
I'm hellbent to build a play-through on the foundation that is this mod (sandbox if that's no problem)

Any other recommendations? STRONG recommendations :D ?  (My modlist is huge and you've not listed any strong incompatibilities)

As a side question, I'm using Stock Visual Enhancements, Terrain and Scatter,  
with plenty of RAM to back it up, but I' just building up my mod list atm.
I hope this will pose no problem?

13 hours ago, RHodeidra said:

Hello,
I was wondering if you "officially" recommend planet packs and graphical updates for your mod?
I'm hellbent to build a play-through on the foundation that is this mod (sandbox if that's no problem)

Any other recommendations? STRONG recommendations :D ?  (My modlist is huge and you've not listed any strong incompatibilities)

I hope this will pose no problem?

GPP and OPM both have up-to-date RB support, not sure about other planet packs.

13 hours ago, RHodeidra said:

Snip

Like @TheRagingIrishman Stated above, OPM and GPP are good to go, however, RB makes changes to the textures, causing them to be "glossy". This is a game breaker for me personally, but if you don't mind it, go for it. I don't know of any other planet packs that are fully compatible with the latest RB

RHodeidra said:

"Hello,

I hope this will pose no problem? "

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I keep a short mod list but this mod generally plays well with others if that is what you're asking. I'm running both OPM and New Horizons with RB. They work very well together and NH supports ResearchBodies too. As soon as I get my upgrades in I'm switching over to GPP though. I have chosen EVE for visual enhancements. The stock .cfg(s) are graphic intensive but beautiful plus it supports scatter and terrain too.

I haven't actually run GPP yet but I don't anticipate any problems. I ran OPM with RB before they were compatible and the text issue was easy to live with.

This mod is not for sandbox. It uses contracts (primarily) to discover the solar system. I say primarily because there are other ways to discover the solar system.

The RAM thing mentioned previously-

I forgot to put Chatterer back in. It uses about 600MB RAM. WOW!!!

Edited by Capt. Kermit