[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

• 1 month later...

I've been using this mod, but I appear to be stuck. (playing in science mode BTW) I've managed to find Minmus and imaged it with a TST telescope, but beyond that there is nothing showing up in the observatory about minmus! How do I get about researching minmus, and also where is that ground telescope referenced in the observatory?

What does this mean? I have the lv1 Observatory present....I think, as I can click on it and go inside it. I picked hard so I had Kerbin, Kerbol and the Mun present and researched by default.....

I believe the lv 1 Observatory was present without me purchasing it, even though in the game difficulty setting I did not select that option.....

Spoiler

[LOG 10:00:22.604] 8/22/2018 10:00:22 AM,ResearchBodies,Observatory Construction - Post Psystem Spawn Point Ends
[ERR 10:00:22.605] [HierarchyUtil]: CompileID failed because it reached the scene root without finding a 'SpaceCenter' game object

Would Kerbal Konstructs or Kerbin Side cause this to occur?

Could you check out my logs please @JPLRepo?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwx90teutgr9ub3/REsearch Bodies.rar?dl=0

So I launched the first unlocked research telescope into a 200KM orbit and started hitting the button to "research bodies." Found some planets.....THEN I got a contract to do basically what I just did....Is there any way to get the contract FIRST? Apparently you cannot take pictures with this particular telescope...I am assuming it came with the research bodies mod as I have never seen it before....

Also I haven't unlocked or launched a "James Webb type" telescope in this save with research bodies installed (the type of scopes that you CAN take pictures with). What happens if I manage to find a planet and take a picture of it before "researching it" with a research bodies telescope?

I had used Tarsier Tech and James web previously WITHOUT the research bodies mod in a different career and game installation, and took pictures of planets for science. Back in that save game I told you I didn't have any planets or galaxies listed on the list with the telescopes....I haven't confirmed if this was the case in this save yet.....because I haven't gotten that far in the tech tree yet....

I guess I'll let you know hen I unlock those and if that is still occurring unless you see something glaring in my logs.....

Edited by JoE Smash
Don't know why my logs didn't link

On 8/18/2018 at 9:54 PM, mr. engino said:

I've been using this mod, but I appear to be stuck. (playing in science mode BTW) I've managed to find Minmus and imaged it with a TST telescope, but beyond that there is nothing showing up in the observatory about minmus! How do I get about researching minmus, and also where is that ground telescope referenced in the observatory?

I don't understand how any of this works....or I'd help you....

I'm having a hard enough time getting help with anything myself.

I honestly don't think I even enjoy playing anymore. I spend more time trying to get things working properly then I do actually playing the game and having "fun."

Game gives me a headache....

On 8/23/2018 at 1:14 AM, JoE Smash said:

What does this mean? I have the lv1 Observatory present....I think, as I can click on it and go inside it. I picked hard so I had Kerbin, Kerbol and the Mun present and researched by default.....

I believe the lv 1 Observatory was present without me purchasing it, even though in the game difficulty setting I did not select that option.....

Hide contents

[LOG 10:00:22.604] 8/22/2018 10:00:22 AM,ResearchBodies,Observatory Construction - Post Psystem Spawn Point Ends
[ERR 10:00:22.605] [HierarchyUtil]: CompileID failed because it reached the scene root without finding a 'SpaceCenter' game object

Would Kerbal Konstructs or Kerbin Side cause this to occur?

Could you check out my logs please @JPLRepo?

So I launched the first unlocked research telescope into a 200KM orbit and started hitting the button to "research bodies." Found some planets.....THEN I got a contract to do basically what I just did....Is there any way to get the contract FIRST? Apparently you cannot take pictures with this particular telescope...I am assuming it came with the research bodies mod as I have never seen it before....

Also I haven't unlocked or launched a "James Webb type" telescope in this save with research bodies installed (the type of scopes that you CAN take pictures with). What happens if I manage to find a planet and take a picture of it before "researching it" with a research bodies telescope?

I had used Tarsier Tech and James web previously WITHOUT the research bodies mod in a different career and game installation, and took pictures of planets for science. Back in that save game I told you I didn't have any planets or galaxies listed on the list with the telescopes....I haven't confirmed if this was the case in this save yet.....because I haven't gotten that far in the tech tree yet....

I guess I'll let you know hen I unlock those and if that is still occurring unless you see something glaring in my logs.....

[ERR 10:00:22.605] [HierarchyUtil]: CompileID failed because it reached the scene root without finding a 'SpaceCenter' game object - Means some mod you have installed is moving the SpaceCenter object. So ResearchBodies can't find it.

Contracts should start to appear after:-
You Reach space.
You have observatory level 1.
You have tracking station level 2.

If you take a picture with a TST telescope of a body not discovered - it is discovered - but not researched.
If you take a picture with a TST telescope of a body discovered but not completed research. Each picture increases the research value on that body. (after you return or transmit it).
I don't know what "James Webb type" telescope is.. not one of my mods.

16 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

https://imgur.com/z3v75Ls

What does cannot find module of type name "Discoverable Objects" mean?

My logs did't link in my prior post for some reason @JPLRepo

No idea... nothing to do with this mod... no errors in the gigantic log related to this mod.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:54 AM, mr. engino said:

science mode - this mod recommends career mode... playing in sandbox/science sandbox - there are no contracts.. and things will appear odd.
The Ground telescope is referring to the Observatory itself. Look at it - it's a giant telescope.

I figured you would know because the business end of the telescope looks like your basic telescope in Tarsier....not the deep space one....the smaller one...(Also he did thank you in his OP.....)

So what should I do about it not finding the space center, @JPLRepo?

The only mod I am aware of that affects the KSC is Kerbal Konstructs and/or Kerbin Side....both are pretty famous and frequently used mods....

Do you plan on offering support of them?

I don't enjoy playing KSP without the added bases around Kerbin....it's too empty....

I like having additional recovery bases when I land craft....

Neither mod moves the KSC. It's still where it should be. Kerbin Side Complete adds some office buildings and a road connecting to it...

I have made it to space and my Tracking Station is lv2 and the Observatory is lv1.

I got a basic contract to "Research" something. Which I accepted....says it will take a year or something....not sure what it does really....

I got a contract to put the research telescope into orbit above 200KM....AFTER I launched the telescope and put it in orbit at 200KM....;.;

Edited by JoE Smash

• 3 weeks later...

I think facilities lvl in contracts is wrong:

Spoiler

REQUIREMENT
    {
        name = FacilityObsRB
        type = ObservatoryLevel
        facility = Observatory
        minLevel = 1
    }

REQUIREMENT
    {
        name = FacilityTSRB
        type = Facility
        facility = TrackingStation
        minLevel = 2
    }

Facilities data from persistant.sfs (Tracking Station is lvl 4 and Observatory is lvl 2,  VAB is lvl 2 - not fully upgraded, not upgraded buildings have lvl 0):

Spoiler

SCENARIO
    {
        name = ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities
        scene = 5, 6, 7, 8

SpaceCenter/VehicleAssemblyBuilding
        {
            lvl = 0.5
        }

SpaceCenter/TrackingStation
        {
            lvl = 1
        }

SpaceCenter/Administration
        {
            lvl = 0
        }

SpaceCenter/Observatory
        {
            lvl = 1
        }

Edited by siteonfly
misprints

Hi JPL Repo,

My latest goto personal preference is moving Minmus to become a moon of Eeloo using kopernicus.  However, it gets discovered (along with Eeloo) first up.

Is this because of a really unlucky random seed or does the list in the settings file with the True True False etc give the order of discovery?  I'd like to resolve this please.

Thanks.  Peace.

17 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Hi JPL Repo,

My latest goto personal preference is moving Minmus to become a moon of Eeloo using kopernicus.  However, it gets discovered (along with Eeloo) first up.

Is this because of a really unlucky random seed or does the list in the settings file with the True True False etc give the order of discovery?  I'd like to resolve this please.

Thanks.  Peace.

Correct.

IGNORELEVELS
	{
		// body = easy normal medium hard
		Sun = true true true true
		Kerbin = true true true true
		Mun = true true true true
		Minmus = true true true false
		Duna = true true false false
		Eve = true true false false
		Jool = true true false false
		Laythe = true false false false
		Vall = true false false false
		Tylo = true false false false
	}	

the true false indicates if a planet is available at the start of a new career game depending what difficulty level you set for the game.

14 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Correct.

IGNORELEVELS
	{
		// body = easy normal medium hard
		Sun = true true true true
		Kerbin = true true true true
		Mun = true true true true
		Minmus = true true true false
		Duna = true true false false
		Eve = true true false false
		Jool = true true false false
		Laythe = true false false false
		Vall = true false false false
		Tylo = true false false false
	}	

the true false indicates if a planet is available at the start of a new career game depending what difficulty level you set for the game.

So it is to do with the list?  I did try adjusting the true false false, but if I move Minmus at the end of the list, the mod will discover Minmus (and Eeloo too I guess) after Tylo?

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

So it is to do with the list?  I did try adjusting the true false false, but if I move Minmus at the end of the list, the mod will discover Minmus (and Eeloo too I guess) after Tylo?

the order of the list should not matter.

Howdy @JPLRepo !

I was hoping to edit the configs for your mod to make it a little friendlier on my stream channel -  but ran into a roadblock with a hardcoded 45,000 funds fee with research progress. Going to 0 on the multiplier still results in 45,000. Is there an easy work around for this off the top of your head?

I can just replace the funds so it's not a big issue at all, but if I could keep from having to use cheats or running extra tourist missions on stream and focus more on building and seeing GPP that would be ideal. I thought I'd reach out and ask for advice.

Thank you for your wonderful work with Research Bodies and Tarsier, I love exploring the planets and moons with everyone from afar before we actually get up close :)

I'm playing a career game with SETI UbM, Kerbinside and Contract Configurator (in case any of these mess RB up), and I have a Lv. 2 tracking station, but for some reason when I upgrade my Observatory to Lv.1 it won't let me enter saying that the tracking station needs to be Lv.2 (which it already is). Any reason ResearchBodies couldn't "see" the TS's level?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 7:01 PM, kirkz47 said:

How do you reset the Search Skies Contracts?? My game got messed up and I had to reinstall and now all them are marked as fails.

My only advice for you is to edit the contracts in the persistent.sfs file or start a new game.

Edit: Also, for the future, consider one of the game-save mods, such as S.A.V.E., that would help recover previous game sessions.

Edited by Brigadier

@JPLRepo, what might prevent the "Active ResearchBodies Contracts" window in the Observatory from scrolling?  I have more than enough contracts, their timers are counting down and the scroll bar suggests that there is more content but the scroll function isn't working.

3HFe14K.jpg

Edited by Brigadier

On 9/21/2018 at 10:03 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

@JPLRepo

Is there a specific reason you set it so that the values can't be changed if not creating a new game?  I was very confused while trying this out in an existing game until I realized that I had to setup a new game.

I managed to dump the new save values into an existing game recently by comparing the save file contents. The planets were then "hidden" as expected. Not sure if it wouldn't break anything else down the line, though :I

@JPLRepo Good mod, but not great. I mean, I'm gonna play with it, but there are some issues I would like to point out (not to criticize, but hopefully to help). 

1. With DOE and good enough solar panels (or many of them) it's possible to just eyeball telescope to every planet and just mash the button. This way I found every planet. Not fun way to use it.
    • Not sure if possible/not too hard, but make it so it need to be pointed exactly at the body. And I mean exactly. Somewhat of what CactEye mod was doing.
    • Related to the above - would it be hard for you to add visual preview on what telescope actually sees?
  2. How about contracts that wants you to find a planet (or asteroid or anything) by providing general idea where to look? Like "On Y1 D103, between 3:30 and 5:00 point telescope at HDG 124° with pitch of 33°". And then you use telescope and if you pointed correctly it see something and contract completes? Just a thought.

Also, I think that finding and researching planets should be less "pump me money and wait" and more "here, try to get better view with telescope" by aiming it and maybe zooming. Possibly requiring to make multiple pictures with intervals of days or weeks, but still, it should be more engaging in my opinion.

Anyway, these are all only my suggestions, I still like it how it is, but I can see it's greater potential! :D

• 2 weeks later...

KSP v1.4.5, ResearchBodies v1.9.7, GPP+GEP install

Two things have been bothering me for a while now.  I have multiple active RB contracts.  All show the duration decreasing in CapCom and Mission Control.  All of them show negative Advances, no rewards and double negative failures, similar to the one below, although this one has double negative advance too.

q5ZnVag.jpg

Despite my having a TST scope in orbit above 200km around Gael, the contract doesn't seem to recognize it.  Everything else appears fine and I can collect science from the 'scopes images.  Why?

GbQIdEo.jpg

Output Log here.  This log is for the in-progress game from which the screen shots were made.

Is RB compatible with GPP?  I figure I might I have to increase the orbital Ap and Pe because Gael is different from Kerbin so I'll report back when I've tried this.  If memory serves, Orbital Science experiments also needed a larger orbit to exceed their wiki's stock minima data.