[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

Guys I need help with this. So I have the observatory at max level, the Traking station also at max level, I have the telescope in a 1000km orbit, and using it I’ve found Duna and Eve. Now the problem is that I can’t find a way to research those planets. Inside the observatory I started the research plans for both planets but it is stuck at 10% from the beginning, no matter how much time it passes. I also completed some contracts from Research Bodies but it didn’t help with the research. The worst part is that obviously I can’t yet see the orbits of the planets and so I can’t transfer to them.... How can I research them? What am I doing wrong / missing?

On 3/6/2018 at 9:20 AM, giovajoker said:

Guys I need help with this. So I have the observatory at max level, the Traking station also at max level, I have the telescope in a 1000km orbit, and using it I’ve found Duna and Eve. Now the problem is that I can’t find a way to research those planets. Inside the observatory I started the research plans for both planets but it is stuck at 10% from the beginning, no matter how much time it passes. I also completed some contracts from Research Bodies but it didn’t help with the research. The worst part is that obviously I can’t yet see the orbits of the planets and so I can’t transfer to them.... How can I research them? What am I doing wrong / missing?

Have you considered taking pictures of the bodies in question?

On 07/03/2018 at 6:20 AM, giovajoker said:

Use the space based telescope research contract and when the time is up you have to go to the craft with the telescope to satisfy the contract.  The stock message saying contract complete should come in the messages from the toolbar.  Then to the observatory building at the KSC.

On 5. 3. 2018 at 7:20 AM, Shad_The_Knight said:

The Observatory is not appearing for me at all. Is this mod compatible with galactic neighborhood? 

I found same problem, but with quick fix. I was missing Contract Configurator, since i lost it due moving other mod´s and creating different mod list :D

• 2 weeks later...

V1.9.7 released for KSP 1.4.1 - please note the dependency for the correct version of Contract Configurator. Please make sure you have this version installed.
Changelog:
*Re-Compile for KSP 1.4.1
*Implement caching of textures (thanks to AlexALX for their contribution)
*Russian Localization (thanks to AlexALX for their contribution)
*Removed custom French localization, now uses the KSP Stock Localization for French.
*Contract Configurator dependency updated. You must have Contract Configurator v 1.24.0 installed for this mod to work.

On 3/23/2018 at 1:43 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Is there an already known reason why in a new career all planets in stock KSP are already discovered?

Some mods that is known for this?

I was looking at the difficulty settings menu yesterday, and the planets that are visible change with the EASY, MEDIUM, HARD etc settings on the stock difficulty settings, which default to EASY, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@JPLRepo @Galileo I added OPM, started a new career and set ResearchBodies to max., so only The Sun, Kerbin, The Mun and Minmus are known.

In Tracking Station there is no Minmus, but Sarnus ...

I'm not sure what is the issue, inside the OPM files is a OPM_ResearchBodies.cfg so it should work I guess...

Whether minmus visible or not is not dictated by OPM, so if there is an issue with minmus, it’s with research bodies or your difficulty settings.

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

@JPLRepo @Galileo Well, then it should be an issue with Research Bodies that is only triggered when OPM is also installed...

I am not sure what your issue is tbh.

As Galileo said. OPM adds a cfg for how it interacts with this mod. It does not change the settings for the stock planets. And with that mod Sarnus always appears regardless of the Research Bodies difficulty setting.
Research Bodies has the following in it's cfg:

IGNORELEVELS
	{
		// body = easy normal medium hard
		Sun = true true true true
		Kerbin = true true true true
		Mun = true true true true
		Minmus = true true true false
		Duna = true true false false
		Eve = true true false false
		Jool = true true false false
		Laythe = true false false false
		Vall = true false false false
		Tylo = true false false false
	}	

as can be seen Minmus does not appear if the setting for Research bodies is set to hard.
You say you started a new game with Research bodies set to hard and Minmus does not appear... so the mod is functioning correctly.

Your statement: "started a new career and set ResearchBodies to max., so only The Sun, Kerbin, The Mun and Minmus are known." is incorrect assuming you have not edited any of the cfg files to change these values.

@JPLRepo I moved the slider to hard but it told me as I mentioned above "The Sun, Kerbin, The Mun and Minmus" and because at the lower settings all planets incl. the OPM ones were shown I considered the readout feedback as being correct...

I know that without OPM at "hard" it only says "The Sun, Kerbin and The Mun" but I thought this is changed by config patches because I added OPM...

Edit:

@Galileo perhaps this has something to do with the fact that the (OPM) Sarnus moon Ovok is using Minmus as a template ... ?

Edited by Gordon Dry

17 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Galileo perhaps this has something to do with the fact that the (OPM) Sarnus moon Ovok is using Minmus as a template ... ?

Nope. That's not the issue. Research bodies looks for the name of the body and does not use the body template for anything.

Edited by Galileo

32 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@JPLRepo @Galileo

Actually I'm starting a new test career for another purpose and actually did screenshots of the different slider settings to make clear what my problem is:

Not sure why I keep getting tagged in your issue. I assume you have done all of this without removing a single mod? Have you even tried removing OPM and running just ResearchBodies alone to see if it persists?

OPM absolutely does nothing to change the difficulty settings regarding the stock system, besides Eeloo. 

Here are the difficulty settings for OPM...

VywZPAZ.jpg

Edited by Galileo

No offense.

I think the idea behind this mod is good, but does not fit.

As mankind (I know, they're Kerbals...) started doing orbits, they already discovered Pluto ...
They already knew all planets - not in detail, but that's what space missions are for.

So I guess I could remove ResearchBodies without breaking this kind of immersion - the Kerbals already know all the planets, they're actually starting space missions to find out details...

Edit:

Just to hit the fan:
If anytime in future the Unity engine is fixed, KSP is fixed and mods work together without Megabytes of issues in logs, this mod could discover planets in other star systems ...
That would be great.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...
On 21.4.2018 at 6:37 AM, DracoSilverpath said:

So, I really like the premise of this mod, but i'm a tad confused here..

By taking said research contract for a body, does it simply tick away at a timer/money till said planet is researched? Or does it actually make you aim a telescope at the body?

Both things.

On 7.4.2018 at 4:55 PM, Gordon Dry said:

No offense.

I think the idea behind this mod is good, but does not fit.

As mankind (I know, they're Kerbals...) started doing orbits, they already discovered Pluto ...
They already knew all planets - not in detail, but that's what space missions are for.

So I guess I could remove ResearchBodies without breaking this kind of immersion - the Kerbals already know all the planets, they're actually starting space missions to find out details...

Edit:

Just to hit the fan:
If anytime in future the Unity engine is fixed, KSP is fixed and mods work together without Megabytes of issues in logs, this mod could discover planets in other star systems ...
That would be great.

...:rolleyes:

Edited by Euer_Hochwuergen

I was using a Sentinel telescope and I was getting the message "A faint signal has been detected but we need a more powerful telescope". So I've put a probe with the included TB-75M telescope thinking "hey, this is the more/most powerful telescope". Nope, I still get the same message. Is there a more powerful telescope or a way around that message?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 11:14 AM, juanml82 said:

I was using a Sentinel telescope and I was getting the message "A faint signal has been detected but we need a more powerful telescope". So I've put a probe with the included TB-75M telescope thinking "hey, this is the more/most powerful telescope". Nope, I still get the same message. Is there a more powerful telescope or a way around that message?

The Sentinel (IR, Stock) and TB-75 (Optical??, REPOSoftTech) scopes have the same Range, 4 x 10^10 meters.  The Tarsier Space Tech Space Telescope (IR, TST) has a range of 1 x 10^10 meters but can take pictures.  This is the first one I use to gather science from undiscovered bodies.

Under the CTT mod, the TB-75 appears in level 5 (90 science), the Space Telescope & Sentinel at level 7 (300), and finally the Deep Space Telescope at level 8 (550 and has a range of 999.9 x 10^10 meters, TST).

• 4 weeks later...

I am experiencing an odd bug, but I'm not sure whether it should be reported on Github or not

I am working on providing support for ResearchBodies for To Boldly Go (TBG). TBG makes a galaxy file to be loaded by the Kopernicus mod.

The problem I am encountering is that I will put a telescope in orbit around Kerbin, go to map view, select a very distant star to observe, use SAS to auto point at the body, and parts instantly overheat and explode.

My only thought is that there is some weird bug related to targeting very distant objects.

Soooo, should I throw this on the researchbodies github bug reports, consider it a weird KSP bug, or a Kopernicus bug?

1 hour ago, seanth said:

I am experiencing an odd bug, but I'm not sure whether it should be reported on Github or not

I am working on providing support for ResearchBodies for To Boldly Go (TBG). TBG makes a galaxy file to be loaded by the Kopernicus mod.

The problem I am encountering is that I will put a telescope in orbit around Kerbin, go to map view, select a very distant star to observe, use SAS to auto point at the body, and parts instantly overheat and explode.

My only thought is that there is some weird bug related to targeting very distant objects.

Soooo, should I throw this on the researchbodies github bug reports, consider it a weird KSP bug, or a Kopernicus bug?

Sounds very odd.cant see how RB would cause a part to overheat. A log might help