[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

1 hour ago, Mipe said:

I suddenly became unable to research (research button on the lab screen didn't respond to clicks), so I went to debug and revealed input locks. It listed ResearchBodies_KeyBinder. Upon removing the mod, I could click research buttons.

Using a variety of mods, the only one related to research screen is Community Tech Tree.

Is this input lock necessary?

Edit: It seems I am mistaken; the issue persists. I can research about two times and then it locks up, regardless of ResearchBodies. After leaving the RnD and reentering it, I can research two more times before it locks up again. Apologies.

Now to find out what is causing this...

The input lock is to prevent click through. Not sure why it's not working as it's the same code I use in all my mods. I'll take a look as I can understand how that would be annoying, but next version it will become very relevant. All will be revealed then. In the meantime The correct action is to clear the input locks in the debug menu.

• 1 month later...

Now that KSP 1.2 Prerelease is out, PLEASE do not expect mods to be updated quickly.  
Prerelease is for the purpose of further debugging, and gives us modders an opportunity to see the new code and work with it.  
Since prerelease is typically a moving target, I will not be releasing any "official" release of my mods until KSP goes Full 1.2 Release itself.
Sorry to disappoint you all, but I do not have the free time to be continually updating and releasing while 1.2 is still a moving target.

• 1 month later...

An update: this mod is now number one on my hit list. Unfortunately I am in the middle of major feature enhancement of this mod. So I have to finish that as well as deal with KSP 1.2 changes. I can't say when I will have it updated but I can say it's my primary focus as of now. Hang in there, the wait for what I'm working on will be worth it. Least that's what I hope!

9 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

An update: this mod is now number one on my hit list. Unfortunately I am in the middle of major feature enhancement of this mod. So I have to finish that as well as deal with KSP 1.2 changes. I can't say when I will have it updated but I can say it's my primary focus as of now. Hang in there, the wait for what I'm working on will be worth it. Least that's what I hope!

I really love this mod and the sense of adventure it adds and realism it brings to the table. Thank you so much JPLRepo for your awesome hard work and dedication to modding. You sir, are awesome.

As @Filigan said, this is also one of the essential mods in all my playthroughs. As such, I took the liberty of recompiling it for 1.2 and, so far, everything appears to work as expected. Anyone who wants to have a ride with it can download it here. Just say the word @JPLRepo and I'll take the link down.

Anyway, continue onward with your major feature enhancement! Can't wait to see what you're cooking up for this amazing mod!

Edited by InfamyKing
Link taken down to respect author's wishes.

On 23/10/2016 at 8:18 AM, InfamyKing said:

As @Filigan said, this is also one of the essential mods in all my playthroughs. As such, I took the liberty of recompiling it for 1.2 and, so far, everything appears to work as expected. Anyone who wants to have a ride with it can download it<removed> Just say the word @JPLRepo and I'll take the link down.

Anyway, continue onward with your major feature enhancement! Can't wait to see what you're cooking up for this amazing mod!

Please take it down. If you wish to fork and release a deritive version please let me know. The problems this will cause is when people use this and encounter errors they are going to come here with bugs that I am not going to support and will create more hassle for me.

Edited by JPLRepo

2 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Please take it down. If you wish to fork and release a derivative version please let me know. The problems this will cause is when people use this and encounter errors they are going to come here with bugs that I am not going to support and will create more hassle for me.

Wouldn't stating in my post that you aren't responsible for any bugs that may incur from using this unofficial 1.2 update be enough to prevent this from happening? Anyway, I'll take the link down now. My apologies as I hadn't considered that possibility.

Not sure if creating a derivative is justified as I don't intend to supersede your mod in anyway. Would you mind if I instead stated in my post that I can share my unofficial version mod to anyone who wishes to use it by private messaging me?

As there seems to be a lot of people desperately waiting for this mod for KSP 1.2 I've done a Development Build.
The Dev build is available ONLY on GitHub at this location: https://github.com/JPLRepo/ResearchBodies/releases/tag/V1.9-Develop
Warning: Although this functions and I have done individual component testing, I have not done full game play testing in KSP 1.2.
So use at your own risk. Back up your save files! But I'd appreciate feedback, bugs, etc.
ChangeLog:

V1.9.0-Develop (10-23-2016) == DEVELOPMENT BUILD
*Fixed typo in locales for Characteristics and Orbit in UI.
*Added Observatory SpaceCenter Facility. Yes - this Facility acts exactly like a stock one. It has TWO upgrade levels that provide different features, functions and contracts for Finding an Researching 
celestial bodies.
*New Game and Settings for this mod are now accessed via the Stock Difficulty Settings for new game and existing game.

This is by no means a completed version for Release V1.9. It currently has a placeholder Facility UI for the new Observatory.
To Do before Full release:
A stock-a-like Observatory UI screen.
Contracts and long-term observation tasks for the Observatory.

EDIT: forgot to mention. Code is in develop branch on GitHub.
License for new Observatory code components is All Rights Reserved.
Other parts of original code, etc are MIT and models are CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0
License details are included in the Zip file.

Edited by JPLRepo

15 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

As there seems to be a lot of people desperately waiting for this mod for KSP 1.2 I've done a Development Build.
The Dev build is available ONLY on GitHub at this location: https://github.com/JPLRepo/ResearchBodies/releases/tag/V1.9-Develop
Warning: Although this functions and I have done individual component testing, I have not done full game play testing in KSP 1.2.
So use at your own risk. Back up your save files! But I'd appreciate feedback, bugs, etc.
ChangeLog:

V1.9.0-Develop (10-23-2016) == DEVELOPMENT BUILD
*Fixed typo in locales for Characteristics and Orbit in UI.
*Added Observatory SpaceCenter Facility. Yes - this Facility acts exactly like a stock one. It has TWO upgrade levels that provide different features, functions and contracts for Finding an Researching 
celestial bodies.
*New Game and Settings for this mod are now accessed via the Stock Difficulty Settings for new game and existing game.

This is by no means a completed version for Release V1.9. It currently has a placeholder Facility UI for the new Observatory.
To Do before Full release:
A stock-a-like Observatory UI screen.
Contracts and long-term observation tasks for the Observatory.

EDIT: forgot to mention. Code is in develop branch on GitHub.
License for new Observatory code components is All Rights Reserved.
Other parts of original code, etc are MIT and models are CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0
License details are included in the Zip file.

Awesome! Time to back up my saves and break my game! I will be back with bug reports, if any. Woohoo!

Hi,

did some testing with the Dev build. After thinking a second time about it i'm not sure if it is a bug: i used the TST Space Telescope not the TB-75. I zoomed the camera at minmus but the Track bodies function just always told me that there is nothing. After fiddling around a bit i found that it looked for the objects ahead of my ship, so control back to the pod and align on target works to discover the bodies. Too bad the placeholder does nothing even if upgraded I cant select anything. Just get: Please make a selection.   But none of the discovered objects appear.

In terms of the telescope, am I wrong that in earlier versions you could use TST parts camera to discover?

Anyway great work on the mod especially with the new building. I am looking forward to fully integrate it into my career

On 25/10/2016 at 0:20 AM, Mace from Space said:

Hi,

did some testing with the Dev build. After thinking a second time about it i'm not sure if it is a bug: i used the TST Space Telescope not the TB-75. I zoomed the camera at minmus but the Track bodies function just always told me that there is nothing. After fiddling around a bit i found that it looked for the objects ahead of my ship, so control back to the pod and align on target works to discover the bodies. Too bad the placeholder does nothing even if upgraded I cant select anything. Just get: Please make a selection.   But none of the discovered objects appear.

In terms of the telescope, am I wrong that in earlier versions you could use TST parts camera to discover?

Anyway great work on the mod especially with the new building. I am looking forward to fully integrate it into my career

You are correct in that the track bodies function works on aligning the ship with the target.
The placeholder? upgraded? -  not sure what you are referring to here? Do you mean the Observatory facility? Yes - this is a dev build and it 's not finished. The plan is to have long term analysis/discovery contracts and tasks appear in the Observatory (but I haven't built that yet) along with the old Discovered/research information.
I am concerned you said discovered objects don't appear? in the menu for the Observatory you mean? This was working for me. I'll take another look.
You can use the TST camera to discover the planets. Take a picture of the planet and it should be discovered.

Edited by JPLRepo

Hey, JPLRepo! I just wanted to say, great work on Research Bodies! I'm psyched to start my first official KSP career in the next few months (I've been getting the ropes figured out for a year now and am almost ready to go for it), and this is one of the mods I'm most looking forward to!

That being said, all I've really got to wait for is the finished parts revamps that Porkjet started on, and then I'm going all in! It shouldn't be more than a few months from now until they're all done!

You rock!!!!!! :D :D

11 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

You are correct in that the track bodies function works on aligning the ship with the target.
The placeholder? upgraded? -  not sure what you are referring to here? Do you mean the Observatory facility? Yes - this is a dev build and it 's not finished. The plan is to have long term analysis/discovery contracts and tasks appear in the Observatory (but I haven't built that yet) along with the old Discovered/research information.
I am concerned you said discovered objects don't appear? in the menu for the Observatory you mean? This was working for me. I'll take another look.
You can use the TST camera to discover the planets. Take a picture of the planet and it should be discovered.

Ok, to get more precise:

Taking a picture with a TST camera doesn't work for me when Research Bodies is installed. Tracking Bodies does even with a TST camera search for bodies at the front of the ship and not in front of the camera(you get what I mean?) If the camera is looking at minmus it doesnt find it as it is searching in front of the ship(though the control of the vessel was on the camera) aka in front of the root part.

The observatory UI, after starting a new game, has some text on the left side which gets cut off. After I tracked minmus their should be something to do in the observatory, right? There is now Text on the lift part of UI: Make a selection. Nothing else. Even after tracking more bodies I get no option. Then upgraded Observatory and Tracking Statoin to max, still no option.

The install I tried it was a heavily modded one which is otherwise running fine and up to date.

I will try to test on a new clean install but im running short on time these days.

1 hour ago, Mace from Space said:

Ok, to get more precise:

Taking a picture with a TST camera doesn't work for me when Research Bodies is installed. Tracking Bodies does even with a TST camera search for bodies at the front of the ship and not in front of the camera(you get what I mean?) If the camera is looking at minmus it doesnt find it as it is searching in front of the ship(though the control of the vessel was on the camera) aka in front of the root part.

The observatory UI, after starting a new game, has some text on the left side which gets cut off. After I tracked minmus their should be something to do in the observatory, right? There is now Text on the lift part of UI: Make a selection. Nothing else. Even after tracking more bodies I get no option. Then upgraded Observatory and Tracking Statoin to max, still no option.

The install I tried it was a heavily modded one which is otherwise running fine and up to date.

I will try to test on a new clean install but im running short on time these days.

Thanks. Yes I have just discovered the integration between TST and RB is not working to plan. So I will need to do fixes.
I'll investigate further.
Actually not even sure it is broken. Seems to be working for me.
You were/are playing a career game yes?
I discovered Minmus using a TST telescope and the GUI seems to be working for me.
I'll need your log to investigate further.

Edited by JPLRepo

FYI. I've updated the zip file for the dev release. Same link: https://github.com/JPLRepo/ResearchBodies/releases/tag/V1.9-Develop

Fixes issue with Contract Configurator.
Fixes the location of the models for the observatory (they were not quite positioned or rotated correctly).
Fixes integration with TST (I'll probably do a Dev release of TST in a few hours that will work with this dev version of RB).
If you already downloaded the dev zip in the last few days, please go download it again and replace it. (same version number, etc, but the zip file has been updated).

UPDATE:
I've udpated the dev release again ^ same link.
only change is: Removes log spam when removing stock contracts.

Edited by JPLRepo

Started work on the Game Mechanics expansion and contracts system tonight.
I'm also thinking I am going to bump up the costs for researching bodies substantially as part of this Mechanics expansion. They are way under priced.

Here are my plans (feedback and comments welcome):

Step1: Locating where to look contract - blocked until i find a way to completely hide undiscovered bodies. - so perhaps future version.

Step2: Search the Skies Contract offered.
This contract will cost money and time investment. (time and money relative to distance away from home planet).
Eventually the contract is completed and you are rewarded with a found new celestial body.

Step2(alternate1): If TST mod is installed user can point the camera at an unknown body and take a picture. Results in new celestial body found.

Step2(alternate2): Use TB-75 or TST camera to point and scan. This speeds up Step2 Search the Skies Contract.

Step3: When a body is initially found. Contracts are offered to Research the body by research steps.
Again, time and money investment are required.
Step3(options): Additional Research Scanning contracts are offered. Point TB-75 or TST cameras at the celestial body and scan over a period of time or take pictures. Completion of these contracts boosts the research percentage on the celestial body.
Parameters on these contracts require upgrades or the more powerful TST telescope camera depending on percentage researched and how far away the object is. this requires Part Upgrades (available now in KSP 1.2) to be purchases via science tech tree (but note they do NOT alter vessels already launched, so further challenge).
Eventually after enough Step3 contracts the celestial body is fully researched.

Other changes - big cost and time changes to actually finding, researching the celestial bodies. They are too easy now.
Re-balance parts, upgrades and costs of parts appropriately to the whole system.
The Upgrade levels of the Ground Observatory are a factor in how fast, and how far you can research and what contracts are offered.

On 2016-10-28 at 3:29 AM, JPLRepo said:

Step1: Locating where to look contract - blocked until i find a way to completely hide undiscovered bodies. - so perhaps future version.

Step2: Search the Skies Contract offered.
This contract will cost money and time investment. (time and money relative to distance away from home planet).
Eventually the contract is completed and you are rewarded with a found new celestial body.

So the first one would consist of launching a telescope and waiting for science to collect at some rate, similar to scanning for resources.  This reveals the object but leaves it unresearched.

Step 2 would consist of pointing a telescope(s) at the discovered object and collecting more science to research it in preparation for Step 3.

Do I understand this correctly?

2 hours ago, Brigadier said:

So the first one would consist of launching a telescope and waiting for science to collect at some rate, similar to scanning for resources.  This reveals the object but leaves it unresearched.

Step 2 would consist of pointing a telescope(s) at the discovered object and collecting more science to research it in preparation for Step 3.

Do I understand this correctly?

Step1 - I intend to see if I can make the undiscovered bodies completely disappear so you have no idea where they are and cannot target them. If I can do that then step 1 would be a contract to initially discover their dot location.
Step 2 - is scanning the sky in the vicinity of their location until they become discovered. Until I figure out how/if I can do step 1 this will be the starting point (as the mod behaves now) and you start by simply scanning (contract) to discover the new body. In step 2 it is still not discovered until the end of step 2.

Edited by JPLRepo

In Observatory view, I don't see any options to research a newly discovered body. When I click it, it only shows the name, disclaimer (in italics), what it's orbiting and researched %. What am I doing wrong? I discovered the body with CactEye.

EDIT: After a while, research state changed to 12% and the button appeared. Does it happen after some time or is it because I made another photo of the body?

NcTNVqg.jpg

Edited by garwel

5 hours ago, garwel said:

In Observatory view, I don't see any options to research a newly discovered body. When I click it, it only shows the name, disclaimer (in italics), what it's orbiting and researched %. What am I doing wrong? I discovered the body with CactEye.

EDIT: After a while, research state changed to 12% and the button appeared. Does it happen after some time or is it because I made another photo of the body?

Nothing wrong. Just CactEye is only increasing the research by 2% it would seem.
I think the code does not expect that (it expects 10% on discovery) from memory. I will have to take a look at the code and adjust it.
So that would be why you couldn't do anything until it hit 12%

29 minutes ago, Errol said:

When you say complete hide undiscovered bodies do you also mean that you will hide their DOE flares? I'm hoping not. They can actually be helpful.

No I meant disappear from map view/ Tracking station completely.