[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

Hello all. I use a tool to manage my mods - apparently it's taboo to mention a name?

Anyhoo, about a month ago I launched it and it did its' job, updating my stuff to the newest version for more features and bugfixes. I didn't make a note of what changes happened.

Unfortunately my KSP started crashing, right at the end of the ~7 minute load time for my 60-mods extended Galileo-based scenario. The log files aren't halpful as there is zero diagnostic info just before the crash entry, and I can't read crash dumps.

After an hour of bisecting the enabled mods, I landed at ResearchBodies v1.9.6. Rolling back to v1.9.5 gives me a fully-functional game that actually launches.

How to proceed?

At least it's working for me now, the prospect of having to ditch this part of the game would have gutted me. I suggested basically the premise of this mod to Squad several years ago, as without this it's just a building game. ResearchBodies turns it into a genuine exploration game.

Mod list:

Spoiler

B9PartSwitch
BackgroundResources
CapCom
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConfigurableContainers-Core
ContractConfigurator
ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation
ContractParser
ContractsWindowPlus
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DistantObject-default
FinalFrontier
FuseBoxContinued
GPP
GPPTextures
KAS
KerbalAlarmClock
KerbalEngineerRedux
KIS
Kopernicus
KSP-AVC
MagiCore
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical-Core
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSolar-Core
NearFutureSpacecraft
PreciseManeuver
ProgressParser
RealPlume
RealPlume-StockConfigs
REPOSoftTech-Agencies
ResearchBodies
SCANsat
Scatterer
Scatterer-config
SmokeScreen
SolverEngines
SpaceY-Expanded
SpaceY-Lifters
StationPartsExpansion
TACLS
TakeCommandContinued
TarsierSpaceTechnologyWithGalaxies
TextureReplacer
Toolbar
TransferWindowPlanner
TriggerAu-Flags
UniversalStorage
UnmannedBeforeManned
xScience

6 hours ago, lipatden said:

Hello all. I use a tool to manage my mods - apparently it's taboo to mention a name?

Anyhoo, about a month ago I launched it and it did its' job, updating my stuff to the newest version for more features and bugfixes. I didn't make a note of what changes happened.

Unfortunately my KSP started crashing, right at the end of the ~7 minute load time for my 60-mods extended Galileo-based scenario. The log files aren't halpful as there is zero diagnostic info just before the crash entry, and I can't read crash dumps.

After an hour of bisecting the enabled mods, I landed at ResearchBodies v1.9.6. Rolling back to v1.9.5 gives me a fully-functional game that actually launches.

How to proceed?

At least it's working for me now, the prospect of having to ditch this part of the game would have gutted me. I suggested basically the premise of this mod to Squad several years ago, as without this it's just a building game. ResearchBodies turns it into a genuine exploration game.

Mod list:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure what you are asking. Have you installed RB v1.9.6 using the install instructions in the OP? IE: download the zip, remove old version from gamedata and unzip into gamedata clean?
Refer to the OP for instructions. No logs = no support. Perhaps crash dumps and logs are not helpful to you, but they might be for a mod author?

Playing with this in my latest career save.

• Ground-based contract should probably award 10% for a major planet or 5% for a moon, plus a random 5%, plus 0-20% based on the distance of the object compared to the maximum distance of the telescope.  So for Minmus, which is almost on top of KSC, you would get 25-30% per ground-based contract.  But in OPM, you might only get 10-15% per contract for Neidon and 5-10% for a moon.  
  • Maybe world size as measured in angles of arc (or radius / distance) should play a role in how easy things are to research.
  • It should take about 2.0-3.5 years to uncover Minmus, 3.0-4.5 for Neidon (with luck) using the ground-based equipment, half that for space-based.
  • Orbital telescope research should have 1/2 the time period for the same returns (111 day contracts), but the contracts need to be less expensive than the ground-based contracts (30% cheaper?).
  • The telescope is relatively inexpensive for what it does (making it cost 50-250k would not be unreasonable).

One idea for speeding up research would be to create "accelerated" contracts (Contract Configurator?) which require you to launch a *new* vessel with the telescope on board and would only be offered if you have discovered the planet/moon and it's below 50%.  The accelerated contract, because it requires a new vessel could complete the full research in a period of 250-450 days (random).  Limit of 5 at a time, and now the player can research up to five planets/moons at the same time.  Assuming they have the funds to launch an expensive telescope for a one-shot mission.

On 16.10.2017 at 6:28 PM, Eugene Moreau said:

.version file still set to 1.3.0

Well that short notice seem to have gotten lost, but the lad's right. The .version file on spacedock and github still marks the current release as version 1.9.5 valid for KSP 1.3.0. Would you be so kind @JPLRepo to cross check that eventually? =)

Cheers

SchrottBot

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just wondering if ResearchBodies is compatible with a game that is modified using sigma dimensions.

And if so, which cfg file I should edit in order to make it work.  Researchbodies is one of my favorite mods and I'd hate to go without it.  Currently I'm running a solar system at about 2.5x normal size but I may want to run it at up to 10x.

As it is, I've gone into ResearchBodiesMMKopernicus and simply multiplied all of the values in there by 2.5 since that's the multiplier I'm using for everything else, I hope that's enough and I hope tarsier will work.  And for Tarsier, I've gone into each of the applicable telescopes (ones with max zoom, and increased their max zoom by 2.5x also).

So if you know I've taken the right steps, or the wrong ones, please let me know, I really want these to work.

Edited by Fergrim

So as of 1.9.5 and later, there is no patching necessary to make Researchbodies compatible with an upscaled system?

Like I'm using almost real solar system, at 2.5x (via sigma dimensions) the size of the normal one.  Researchbodies will automatically work with this?

Edited by Fergrim
broken interwebs

On 11/1/2017 at 4:09 AM, Brigadier said:

In my case, I targeted a body with a TST scope in orbit, aimed the telescope at the research target with the AP (controlling from the telescope and not any other part to ensure proper aiming) and took pictures.  Transmitting this data gave me science and increased research on the body.  I needed to do this multiple times to get higher percentages.

If you really wanted to you could save the current progress, go to the Contract cheat menu, force completion of each of those contracts in turn and see what each one does.  Then reload your save and have some idea of what to expect.  I don't really see this as cheating since, in reality, I would have some idea of what contract success would mean (and you're right, they don't tell you much).  Or you could just wait until they complete naturally when the timer runs out and let it surprise you.

Disclaimer: I'm not much further in my career save than you are and I haven't completely figured out RB and TST.  It's a WIP but I'm happy with that.

On 11/4/2017 at 5:20 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

@Galileo @JPLRepo I finally figured out that I had a bad practice to stop to get the proper texts showing in the Observatory, and not the the tag name. Fixes have been applied to GPP and OPM. Also, I'm confirming that ResearchBodies does not recognize the Sun's new name (Ciro) for planets directly orbiting it.

2bIld7J.jpg

Hide contents

how do you aim with your telescope? i notice in the picture the tb-75m has an "aim camera" option? but i'm not getting that option with mine, i kinda just randomly pointed and clicked til i found eve but now i can't find/aim it properly again to take more pictures

3 minutes ago, Hs.Panda said:

how do you aim with your telescope? i notice in the picture the tb-75m has an "aim camera" option? but i'm not getting that option with mine, i kinda just randomly pointed and clicked til i found eve but now i can't find/aim it properly again to take more pictures

The Aim Camera is an advanced tweakable and only focuses your viewport to the selected part and off of the CoM. It has nothing to do with ResearchBodies. Randomly pointing and shooting is afaik the way to go to find a body, and I have my ways. (I only play sandbox so I'm not going to spoil you)

12 hours ago, Hs.Panda said:

I try to build the camera so that I can sight down the long-axis when in orbit.  After that, there's a few options:

• Use Hullcam VDS Continued and mount a camera on the target axis.  Right-click on it, "Activate Camera" and use that as a bore sight to point in the right direction.  Some of them can have their zoom level changed with action groups (hot-keys?).  Hullcam may even make the telescope into a camera (I haven't tried).
  • Install Distant Object Enhancement to make the planets brighter and easier to find in the sky.  Point telescope in approximate direction (there's a bit of wiggle room involved, no need to be exact) and start clicking the button.
  • Install Haystack Continued, set the planet as a target, then line up the prograde marker with the target marker.

Note: Once you have found a planet, there's no point in clicking any more unless there are also moons around it.  Once all the moons/planets have been "discovered", you need to switch to the "Research a Celestial Body" contracts in the space center in order to get them from 0% (orbit unknown) to 100% (orbit known).

7 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

I try to build the camera so that I can sight down the long-axis when in orbit.  After that, there's a few options:

• Use Hullcam VDS Continued and mount a camera on the target axis.  Right-click on it, "Activate Camera" and use that as a bore sight to point in the right direction.  Some of them can have their zoom level changed with action groups (hot-keys?).  Hullcam may even make the telescope into a camera (I haven't tried).
  • Install Distant Object Enhancement to make the planets brighter and easier to find in the sky.  Point telescope in approximate direction (there's a bit of wiggle room involved, no need to be exact) and start clicking the button.
  • Install Haystack Continued, set the planet as a target, then line up the prograde marker with the target marker.

Note: Once you have found a planet, there's no point in clicking any more unless there are also moons around it.  Once all the moons/planets have been "discovered", you need to switch to the "Research a Celestial Body" contracts in the space center in order to get them from 0% (orbit unknown) to 100% (orbit known).

oh, so using telescope is really only used for finding them, not for further researching them =/ ...that's probably why i keep aiming it at eve (which i already discovered) and finding nothing

Edited by Hs.Panda

45 minutes ago, Hs.Panda said:

oh, so using telescope is really only used for finding them, not for further researching them =/ ...that's probably why i keep aiming it at eve (which i already discovered) and finding nothing

Yes, and be prepared to spam those "research a celestial body" contracts over and over and over.  It's the really tedious part of RB.

I usually just wait until I have a few million in funds, open up the mod-F12 debug menu and just repeatedly complete the "research a celestial body" contract until I've either run out of money or run out of unresearched celestial bodies.

@JPLRepo

Unfortunately, I don't see a way in RBResearchBodyBehaviourRB to pass in a value and it is hard-coded in C# to always be 10.  That means it always takes 10 research contracts to fully research a planet or moon.  If I could pass a value from the ContractConfigurator file to the behavior function, then I could do some math in the contract config file based on some astronomical values (size, distance from parent start, SMA ratios, randomization, etc.).  Or setup some other contracts that use time / parts / cost to do faster research.

There's probably a way to pass values into a contract behavior from the configuration file?

2 hours ago, Hs.Panda said:

1 hour ago, WuphonsReach said:

Yes, and be prepared to spam those "research a celestial body" contracts over and over and over.  It's the really tedious part of RB.

I usually just wait until I have a few million in funds, open up the mod-F12 debug menu and just repeatedly complete the "research a celestial body" contract until I've either run out of money or run out of unresearched celestial bodies.

@JPLRepo

Unfortunately, I don't see a way in RBResearchBodyBehaviourRB to pass in a value and it is hard-coded in C# to always be 10.  That means it always takes 10 research contracts to fully research a planet or moon.  If I could pass a value from the ContractConfigurator file to the behavior function, then I could do some math in the contract config file based on some astronomical values (size, distance from parent start, SMA ratios, randomization, etc.).  Or setup some other contracts that use time / parts / cost to do faster research.

There's probably a way to pass values into a contract behavior from the configuration file?

You can reduce the wait till completion on telescope contracts for whatever you want.  This is adjustable in one of the .cfg files.  You can't adjust the observatory contract wait values though.  I'd like to point out that long wait times more sense if you are playing with the Kerbal Construction Time mod - but 90 days still seems too long - I adjust it to 20 days. with KCT or 5 days without.

Peace.

1 minute ago, theJesuit said:

You can reduce the wait till completion on telescope contracts for whatever you want.  This is adjustable in one of the .cfg files.  You can't adjust the observatory contract wait values though.  I'd like to point out that long wait times more sense if you are playing with the Kerbal Construction Time mod - but 90 days still seems too long - I adjust it to 20 days. with KCT or 5 days without.

It's more the tedium of completing the contract 10x for every celestial body (with OPM installed, it's a lot of contract completions).

I'd like to randomize the percentage per completion a bit, maybe allow for multiple research contracts at the same time, make parent bodies done in 1-2 contracts on average (but possibly longer duration), moons in 2-4 contracts, make the orbital telescope more useful, etc.  But without being able to pass a value to that CC behavior... nothing to experiment with.

2 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

It's more the tedium of completing the contract 10x for every celestial body (with OPM installed, it's a lot of contract completions).

I'd like to randomize the percentage per completion a bit, maybe allow for multiple research contracts at the same time, make parent bodies done in 1-2 contracts on average (but possibly longer duration), moons in 2-4 contracts, make the orbital telescope more useful, etc.  But without being able to pass a value to that CC behavior... nothing to experiment with.

I agree.  It would make sense to have longer wait times but fewer goes at the contract grind.  Even paying more Funds to reduce the time (pay more eyeballs or lease larger data crunching power).

Don't you play with multiple missions at once or are you time warping to get through your RP contracts?  That's the only way I deal with the tedium! It's also why I nerfed the telescope wait times.  If you can land on the Mün and return within 3 days and then do that from scratch 30 times till you research 10% of Minmus it does seem silly.

Peace.

7 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I agree.  It would make sense to have longer wait times but fewer goes at the contract grind.  Even paying more Funds to reduce the time (pay more eyeballs or lease larger data crunching power).

Don't you play with multiple missions at once or are you time warping to get through your RP contracts?  That's the only way I deal with the tedium! It's also why I nerfed the telescope wait times.  If you can land on the Mün and return within 3 days and then do that from scratch 30 times till you research 10% of Minmus it does seem silly.

I play a heavily modded KSP with KCT turned up to about 11.  Build times at least 100-300 days (less if the booster was recovered), research times of 300-700 days (using CTT), roll-out of 5-60 days + refurb time. It's usually year 3-4 before I get a probe into orbit, year 5-6 before the communications array around Kerbin is good enough to support Mun landings, and year 8-10 before manned missions start.

There are 14 undiscovered celestial bodies in stock KSP, with OPM that's about 27 celestials.  That's 140-270 contracts right now, and I'd want to cut that to about 30-45 contracts for stock, or 50-80 for OPM. 

Using 1.9.6, I think (.version file says its 1.9.5, but the download says 1.9.6). Im crashing on switching scenes. Interesting, error.log reckons Im crashing from an access violation, much as you normally would when you dont have enough RAM. Using 64 bit, and the interesting part is that Im getting errors about not being able to allocate memory when only about 70% of it is in use.

Logs: http://www.blu3wolf.com/KSP/error.zip

I have a number of other mods installed. Like, quite a few. Your mod comes up quite a bit in the logs, so Im looking here, but if you think its caused by something else, Im all ears.

On 27.11.2017 at 2:33 PM, AlexALX said:

Hello, after i installed this mod loading scenes is much slower (in ~2-3 times), for example when i'm launching vessel or open tracking center (loading screen). Does this normal or something wrong? Can i speedup loading times somehow?

Any help or information about this?

On 12/2/2017 at 11:18 PM, theJesuit said:

Peace.

do you know what config file? i tried looking but can't find it.

also i know i asked this (or something similiar )  previously, but is there a way to "view" out the telescope? i'm thinking of pointing it at kerbin and staring at val while she sun bathes. or using it like a spy satalite for bdarmory maybe?

Edited by Hs.Panda

1 hour ago, AlexALX said:

I hope someone can help with that, i created bug report https://github.com/JPLRepo/ResearchBodies/issues/30

Its really annoying to wait 20-40 seconds for launch vessel or open tracking center when without this mod this happens for few seconds.

Yup. It is simply the way the mod works.. which is constrained by the way KSP works and loads. And is further exacerbated by the visual enhancement mods you have installed such as scatterer and EVE. There is not a lot I can do about that sorry.

2 hours ago, Hs.Panda said:

do you know what config file? i tried looking but can't find it.

also i know i asked this (or something similiar )  previously, but is there a way to "view" out the telescope? i'm thinking of pointing it at kerbin and staring at val while she sun bathes. or using it like a spy satalite for bdarmory maybe?

In \GameData\ResearchBodies\Contracts folder are the cfg files for the Contract Configurator contracts that this mod uses.

On 12/6/2017 at 4:52 PM, blu3wolf said:

Using 1.9.6, I think (.version file says its 1.9.5, but the download says 1.9.6). Im crashing on switching scenes. Interesting, error.log reckons Im crashing from an access violation, much as you normally would when you dont have enough RAM. Using 64 bit, and the interesting part is that Im getting errors about not being able to allocate memory when only about 70% of it is in use.

Logs: http://www.blu3wolf.com/KSP/error.zip

I have a number of other mods installed. Like, quite a few. Your mod comes up quite a bit in the logs, so Im looking here, but if you think its caused by something else, Im all ears.

looks to me like heap issues loading maps. and you force direct X 11 (Scatterer I think) which isn't really supported by the game currently very well. But the main think I would think is happening, which is impossible without a clone of your setup is that you have replaced textures for the planets with very large ones.... you could try reducing those or removing those and see if that fixes the problem. here is the msg in your log:

DynamicHeapAllocator allocation probe 1 failed - Could not get memory for large allocation 44739248.
DynamicHeapAllocator allocation probe 2 failed - Could not get memory for large allocation 44739248.
DynamicHeapAllocator allocation probe 3 failed - Could not get memory for large allocation 44739248.
DynamicHeapAllocator allocation probe 4 failed - Could not get memory for large allocation 44739248.
DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocation 44739248!
Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 44739248B with 16 alignment. MemoryLabel: Texture
Allocation happend at: Line:383 in 
Memory overview

50 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Yup. It is simply the way the mod works.. which is constrained by the way KSP works and loads. And is further exacerbated by the visual enhancement mods you have installed such as scatterer and EVE. There is not a lot I can do about that sorry.

Ok, but why it makes slower a lot? I can understand if it slower for few seconds, but in 10 times its not normal. Maybe there is something wrong with loading so it doing some job in loop for a while or something like this? Because i really don't understand what algorithms can slow down this... Even if i remove all mods except this one (and required one) it still doing exact same thing - it loading very slow. Are you sure that this is not an glitch somewhere in algorithms? Maybe it recalculates something each time when loading and you can do some cache or something like this? I'm programmer so for me its looks very weird that one mod slow down loading in 10 times...

Edited by AlexALX

19 minutes ago, AlexALX said:

Ok, but why it makes slower a lot? I can understand if it slower for few seconds, but in 10 times its not normal. Maybe there is something wrong with loading so it doing some job in loop for a while or something like this? Because i really don't understand what algorithms can slow down this... Even if i remove all mods except this one (and required one) it still doing exact same thing - it loading very slow. Are you sure that this is not an glitch somewhere in algorithms? Maybe it recalculates something each time when loading and you can do some cache or something like this? I'm programmer so for me its looks very weird that one mod slow down loading in 10 times...

It is because in order for the mod to work with the stock game it has to load all the planets and textures when the scene changes. which does not normally happen in the stock game.

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

It is because in order for the mod to work with the stock game it has to load all the planets and textures when the scene changes. which does not normally happen in the stock game.

Ok, i understand, thank you. I'm not really familiar with ksp modding (but i know C# (as language itself) and unity a bit), but maybe there is some ways to optimize that? Like hook something so it will apply textures only when planet shows (like is stock)? Or something like this. I know that maybe its not really easy as modding sometimes can be difficult and limited but i still think its possible to optimize code and how it works.