[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

• 2 weeks later...

@JPLRepo I rebooted and it's working now. I don't know what's different. 

Windows 10, KSP 1.6.1 around 100 mods

This is the first time I'm using this mod in a new (this week) save with Snarkiverse planet pack. No new planets found yet.

I just launched the TB-75M Telescope. When I Click the Research Bodies button on the satellite menu I get a Research Bodies GUI window pop up with nothing in the window and the log is being spammed with NREs.

Spoiler

[EXC 16:10:33.136] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	UnityEngine.GUI.Button (Rect position, UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
	ResearchBodies.ModuleTrackBodies.DrawWindow (Int32 windowID)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

[EXC 16:10:33.183] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	UnityEngine.GUI.Button (Rect position, UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

KSP.LOG

Edited by Tonka Crash

On 1/30/2019 at 6:20 PM, Tonka Crash said:

@JPLRepo I rebooted and it's working now. I don't know what's different. 

Windows 10, KSP 1.6.1 around 100 mods

This is the first time I'm using this mod in a new (this week) save with Snarkiverse planet pack. No new planets found yet.

I just launched the TB-75M Telescope. When I Click the Research Bodies button on the satellite menu I get a Research Bodies GUI window pop up with nothing in the window and the log is being spammed with NREs.

Reveal hidden contents

[EXC 16:10:33.136] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 16:10:33.183] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

KSP.LOG

I encountered the same problem.

1 hour ago, DestinyPlayer said:

Same problem as well. The Research Bodies window shows up as blank. Haven't rebooted yet, I'll see if it helps later.

Same here. I tried reloading the save (not the game) two or three times and it finally worked.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:42 PM, Aodhan said:

Same here. I tried reloading the save (not the game) two or three times and it finally worked.

I have the same problem. What do you mean by reloading the save, going to main menu or just f5+f9 a couple times ?

EDIT : reloading the save or the game doesn't seem to do anything

Issue already referenced on github. Temporary fix is to visit the observatory before loading the craft with your space telescope.

Edited by lBoBl

5 hours ago, lBoBl said:

I have the same problem. What do you mean by reloading the save, going to main menu or just f5+f9 a couple times ?

Well, It mustn’t be it because it didn’t work this time ;)

I tried loading the game and got the usual blank ResearchBodies window.

What did work however, was going back to space center from my ship, opening the telescope building and returning to my ship. After that, everything worked fine with researchbodies.

Edit : saw you found the answer on GitHub...

Edited by Aodhan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having an issue where many of the bodies that should already be researched as a result of selecting the "Easy" option in starting difficulty settings are not showing up.

According to the difficulty settings in the save, this is what I should be seeing:

LqlyO9y.jpg

Of those, Moho, Duna, Ike, DunaIke (Sigma Binary barycenter), Laythe, Vall, Bob, Tylo, Gilly, Pol, Dress, Eeloo, and the DunaIkeOrbit are all missing. I am able to tab-select Duna, but cannot see its orbit (DunaIkeOrbit). I have a suspicion that Research Bodies doesn't like Sigma Binary, though the fact that its components are showing up in the list has me wondering if its not already compatible. On the other hand, the fact that all the other bodies are missing (especially Moho which hasn't even been moved by OPM), leaves me wondering what else could be causing this.

Anyway, here are my logs and I really hope I can get this sorted out,

Thanks

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wQg0hLHft0S3FKb162VR3mN2Ft74C653

EDIT: So I tried removing Sigma Binary and that did resolve the issue specifically with Duna, but Moho and several of the later planets are still missing, which leaves me without ideas as to what could be causing this.

Edited by SpacedInvader

@JPLRepo So I've figured out the answer to my own problem with Moho. It wasn't showing up despite its mention in the difficulty settings because it doesn't have an entry at all the database.cfg file under "Ignorelevels" so it was always considered undiscovered. I'm trying to come up with a bandaid patch to at least get Moho into my career, but I figured I'd ping you to make sure you knew about the missing line for when you update the mod next.

On a side note, is there any way to get Research Bodies and Sigma Binary to play well together or are they fundamentally incompatible? Even though the latter is quite old, it works just fine in the newest game versions, but the way it works (essentially making both bodies into moons of the barycenter object) plays havoc with mods like this one for some reason. If I can't have both, I'll probably opt for Research Bodies as it adds gameplay where Sigma Binary doesn't really, but it would be nice if there was a way to make it work.

EDIT: In case anyone wants / needs to patch in the Moho IGNORELEVELS in the meantime, here is a MM patch I've roughed out that gets it working:

RESEARCHBODIES
{
	loadAs = mod
	name = Moho_Patch

IGNORELEVELS
	{
		Moho = true true false false
	}
}

Edited by SpacedInvader

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

This mod is very cool and work fine for me. But how can i make it work with a new star system mod (in my case : https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/175432-161-151-145-131-the-world-beyond-100-new-celestial-bodies-v111-2018-10-31/ ). I tried the game With these both, in Free game mode and researchbody setup easy, i can see the stars of the news systems but i can't lock them, no icon, no text.

• 3 weeks later...

I started a new Sandbox [KSP 1.7] with OPM installed.
I moved the slider to hide all but Kerbol and Kerbin.
Sarnus is still visible, which like the Moho issue above,
I'm guessing is just a CFG issue, but I"m not sure where to begin the fix.

@SpacedInvader: How and where do I make a custom MM patch?

Thanks for this amazing mod.
Cheers.

Edited by faulk_wulf
Clarity. Spellcheck.

48 minutes ago, faulk_wulf said:

I started a new Sandbox [KSP 1.7] with OPM installed.
I moved the slider to hide all but Kerbol and Kerbin.
Sarnus is still visible, which like the Moho issue above,
I'm guessing is just a CFG issue, but I"m not sure where to begin the fix.

Research Bodies does not include configs for the various planet packs. (like OPM) You need to look in OPM mod for the configs to support Research Bodies mod.

When using OPM with Research Bodies Mod, it is setup in the configs in OPM that Sarnus is ALWAYS discovered at game start...

From the "OPM_ResearchBodies.cfg" file in OPM.

body = Sarnus
	}
	IGNORELEVELS
	{
		// body = easy normal medium hard
		Sarnus = true true true true

To make it so its hidden at game start, change the true values to false at which ever level your playing. So hidden on medium and hard would be: 

body = Sarnus
	}
	IGNORELEVELS
	{
		// body = easy normal medium hard
		Sarnus = true true false false

Edited by BlackHat

I'm not sure why, but researchbodies isn't greying out planets. I currently have none unlocked but Kerbin, Sarnus, and the Mun, but have discovered many other planets.

https://imgur.com/a/N8Hzm1P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7b75lqr1zvwgrl/output_log.txt?dl=0

^^log file if needed

Researchbodies is as up to date as possible. Encountered on 1.6, just updated to 1.7. Visual mods are Astronomer's and EVE.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:17 PM, crowsnose said:

I'm not sure why, but researchbodies isn't greying out planets. I currently have none unlocked but Kerbin, Sarnus, and the Mun, but have discovered many other planets.

^^log file if needed

Researchbodies is as up to date as possible. Encountered on 1.6, just updated to 1.7. Visual mods are Astronomer's and EVE.

You are running KSP 1.7.0. What does the Title of this thread and the OP say?

You say it was occurring on 1.6? as well?
Seeing a lot of these in the log.
ResearchBodies-PCBMWrapper,Arrggg: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

When I get to update this to KSP 1.7.x will take a look.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:17 PM, crowsnose said:

^^log file if needed

I'm on 1.7 and not having problems with ResearchBodies. Looking at your log I see problems with .dlls not loading. This leads to a trickle down of a lot more errors and can cause all sorts of odd behavior. So, I'd look at fixing these first and see if that clears up your issues.

The Exception loading 'xxx' refers to a file named "xxx.dll" contained in a mod somewhere under GameData.

For each one below find the mod that contains the problem .dll and make sure that is up to date and then ask about 1.7 support in that thread. For example, I know PlanetarySurfaceStructures.dll is part of Kerbal Planetary Base Systems that broke at 1.7 and has been updated, but you are still using the broken version for 1.6.1.

Assembly 'Toolbar' has not met dependency 'ClickThroughBlocker' V1.7.0
Assembly 'Toolbar' is missing 1 dependencies
Exception loading 'CC_RemoteTech': ... The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
Exception loading 'InfernalRobotics': ... The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
Exception loading 'IRSurfaceSampler': ... The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
Exception loading 'KF_plugin': ... The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
Exception loading 'PlanetarySurfaceStructures': ... The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2019 at 11:05 AM, BlackHat said:

Research Bodies does not include configs for the various planet packs. (like OPM) You need to look in OPM mod for the configs to support Research Bodies mod.

When using OPM with Research Bodies Mod, it is setup in the configs in OPM that Sarnus is ALWAYS discovered at game start...

From the "OPM_ResearchBodies.cfg" file in OPM.

I wonder why Sarnus is exempted at game start?  Is it because it is such a large planet?  

Just a curiosity. 

On 6/8/2019 at 1:02 AM, Sarxis said:

I wonder why Sarnus is exempted at game start?  Is it because it is such a large planet?  

Just a curiosity. 

Probably. But you can always edit the config file if you don't want it that way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 3:02 AM, Tonka Crash said:

I'm on 1.7 and not having problems with ResearchBodies.

Are you sure you're not having issues? I enabled "Show exceptions on screen" and researchbodies is consistently nullreffing in a new JNSQ game. JNSQ comes with ResearchBodies config files, so if you're legit not seeing any problems then maybe the problem lies with JNSQ's cfg. Maybe it'll be fine now that I finally have access to the observatory, but after I gained said access and started a scan RB was faithfully stil nullreffing..

The only other mod that nullrefs reliably is waypointmanagers removeDuplicateWaypoint bit..

Edit: By "not having issues" I mean not getting any warnings/exceptions. I'm sure it plays fine if you're not looking for exceptions.

Edited by Jognt

11 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Are you sure you're not having issues? I enabled "Show exceptions on screen" and researchbodies is consistently nullreffing in a new JNSQ game. JNSQ comes with ResearchBodies config files, so if you're legit not seeing any problems then maybe the problem lies with JNSQ's cfg. Maybe it'll be fine now that I finally have access to the observatory, but after I gained said access and started a scan RB was faithfully stil nullreffing..

The only other mod that nullrefs reliably is waypointmanagers removeDuplicateWaypoint bit..

Edit: By "not having issues" I mean not getting any warnings/exceptions. I'm sure it plays fine if you're not looking for exceptions.

That was a month and a half ago on 1.7.0 and JNSQ didn't exist. I was using Kerbal Origins. I started a new game on 1.7.1 (now 1.7.2) without ResearchBodies, so I have no idea how it's currently behaving. From what I recall this did throw exceptions, but not excessively. I think it may have been related to the scene changes entering or leaving the observatory. Which was rare enough I didn't care. I'll accept exceptions as a "normal" if they are rare and don't seem to affect how the mod works. Too many mods do a poor job trapping exceptions.

The mod worked. I just found it wasn't for me which is why I'm not using it. It was severely hampering what I could do outside Kerbin's SOI.

Sometimes I'll attempt to track them down if they happen in a repeatable circumstance. If a mod is throwing exceptions excessively that is a problem. If it bothers me enough I'll find the circumstance to recreate the exception and report it. If the mod is not being reliably supported I'll download the code and figure out either how to fix it or at least suppress them.

3 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

If the mod is not being reliably supported I'll download the code and figure out either how to fix it or at least suppress them.

I wish I had the know-how to do that too. It's frustrating beyond belief to the point where I'm considering getting into C# (that's what I think it is?).

But yeah, ResearchBodies on 1.7.1 with JNSQ's cfg throws all sorts of exceptions. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and just removed it <_<