Suddenly, drill has "no ground contact"?

I have an ISRU design I've used a bunch of time.  I put one down on Pol.  I was having trouble getting enough ore to keep everything running and come out ahead, but other than that, it was working fine.  I jump away (letting it run) and come back.  I haven't gotten anything so I left click on the drill and it says "no ground contact".  

It was working before I left.  I is clearly in the ground?  Anyone know what's up?

Here is a picture 

DJDml7y.png

This happens on slopes on some moons. There is some sort of bug with the planet surface, so when you return to the ship the game thinks you're in the air. There is clearly some error-checking code in there, because you do get plonked back down on the surface, but by that time the drill already thinks it's lost ground contact.

There isn't much you can do. If you restart the drill it should work fine. If you babysit the craft it'll continue to work fine, even at high warp. If you go away, it'll probably lose ground contact again when you come back.

Apparently the mining that gets done while you are away is calculated when you return to the ship, so if this happens you'll never mine anything during the time you are away.

So basically - move to another flatter spot (with no guarantee that it'll work... Pol in particular is a bit messed up), or babysit while you are mining.

Edited by Plusck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.