[1.1.2] Real Solar System Expanded (0.14.0)

ImkSushi

Sorry to repost an issue that's already been discussed but I wasn't sure on the final answer to it. Is it the mod developers intention to leave the ecliptic in correct inclination? Or return it to the highly inclined RSS version to account for the lack of axial tilt? This mod is amazing and definitely one I'd love to explore, but the changing of the ecliptic's inclination makes moon launches a struggle from pretty much all the launch sites. I never thought I'd miss axial tilt quite so much :P.

On 17/06/2016 at 10:39 AM, Manabender said:

You have some bodies that have a radius larger than their sphere of influence. This means that they are, quite literally, impossible to orbit or land on. (Hyperedit can't even do it.) This is a pretty big problem. I don't want to have these completely useless rocks lying around, especially when they consume load time and RAM space.

Also is this something that can be changed? I understand it might not be possible, my coding knowledge is severely lacking, but it would be nice to be able to visit some of the places you've worked hard to implement. 

Keep up the great work :), this mod looks awesome, and I'd love to include it in my regular RSS install.

8 hours ago, Table said:

No it isn't, it still works with 1.1.3

@ImkSushi Are you still working on this mod?

Sorry, for the moment, I've been working on Terraria Modding, so I may not be updating this for about a month.

Hi there! I'm very happy you are continuing the mod I worked very hard for. It's been a year since I dropped KSP for a loooong break. If you have any question, you can PM me.

The very last mod version I released, I tried to fix Uranus, Neptune and Saturn's rings. They were broken by the latest Kopernicus release at the time. I hope you can fix them up (I'm sure you can)

My mod is open for anyone to continue it, as long as my name is somewhere in a readme :wink:

You're free to do anything you want with it. 

@Sir_Fanch

Axial tilt isn't implemented in KSP yet.........

1 hour ago, pozine said:

Axial tilt isn't implemented in KSP yet.........

I think that he/she meant that the point of reference for the inclination is not the same between RSS and RSS Expanded and that the later one should use the same reference as RSS (Earth at 0 inclination and all the other bodies inclined as required).

12 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

I think that he/she meant that the point of reference for the inclination is not the same between RSS and RSS Expanded and that the later one should use the same reference as RSS (Earth at 0 inclination and all the other bodies inclined as required).

Yep :), apologies if I used the incorrect terminologies, I never was a stickler for jargon :P. We may not be able to tilt the axis of rotation relative to the orbit, but we can tilt the orbit relative to the axis of rotation I think, is that correct? ie, making the planets highly inclined around the sun? Or am I missing something there? I understand if that doesn't make sense haha, my knowledge is limited, so i could be talking about things completely wrong.

Edit: wording :P

Edited by Sir_Fanch

@Sir_Fanchyep, exactly. KSP limits the rotational axis of a body to be exactly vertical as seen by the reference frame (the "universe"), meaning that  you cannot have an exact Uranus (rotational axis horizontal) but you can have it inclined in respect to a specified body (in our case the Earth).

Imagine that you have a craft in orbit. You can have it at any inclination between 0° and 180° (retrograde) but the craft can only be pointed along the normal axis, with no means of changing it. This is how "inclined" orbits are made.

I really hope that this makes sense...

Edited by Phineas Freak
Typo

4 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

you cannot have an exact Uranus (rotational axis horizontal)

TIL Uranus has some wacky axial tilt going on, cool haha thanks for that :). Yeh I should probably use "reference frame" or some similar term when I'm talking about stuff like this :P. I used to think the Kerbol system was cool, the more I learn about our solar system, the more awesome it becomes, didn't even know Pluto and Charon were a binary system until I installed RSS :P. Which is part of the reason this mod excites me so haha, thanks for the help @Phineas Freak appreciate it man :D

46 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Can someone explain why this destroys RSS's inclinations?

There is a config file in the mod that changes the inclinations of the existing RSS planets. If it is deleted this would work, but all of these planetary bodies are inclined wrong. 

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

Sorry, wasn't clear. I do mean why, not how. I get the how.

I think that when the project was taken over, the new person working on the mod did not realize the exact JPL Horizons values to use. They made the changes in order to make the new planets fit. 

Which config file do you delete to change the inclinations back? This mod ruined one of my rp-0 careers by moving a lot of my craft. I haven't installed this since. I'm not at my PC so just asking for when I am so I know which file exactly I'm looking for

3 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@ClLaw it is the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" file. BTW the "craft teleportation" bug should be fixed by now.

Just in time for me getting home. Your timing is impeccable @Phineas Freak. I only installed this the once and that was when this first updated from the old authors mod which is when my craft seemed to change their positions but that may of been due to the inclination changes and me just raging before thinking about it :(. Have been keeping an eye on this mod weekly for an update with the updated inclinations and saw these posts today so I can now give it another go :)

56 minutes ago, ClLaw said:

Just in time for me getting home. Your timing is impeccable @Phineas Freak. I only installed this the once and that was when this first updated from the old authors mod which is when my craft seemed to change their positions but that may of been due to the inclination changes and me just raging before thinking about it :(. Have been keeping an eye on this mod weekly for an update with the updated inclinations and saw these posts today so I can now give it another go :)

Just be careful with the mod still. the new items that are added with this expansion will not be where they are supposed to be in relative inclination to the Earth.

What's the point in modifying the orbital values of a mod called Real Solar System to make this mod fit in it? You should have called it Unreal Solar System Expanded .. :P I was planning to use it to redo realistic missions, that's quite a disappointment.

16 hours ago, Friedrich Nietzsche said:

Is there a way to use this mod without it messing up the inclinations?

Really?

On 09/07/2016 at 8:32 PM, ClLaw said:

Which config file do you delete to change the inclinations back?

On 09/07/2016 at 9:21 PM, Phineas Freak said:

@ClLaw it is the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" file.

Come now, 4 posts up isn't that far to go :P

Also would I be correct in assuming this mod is most likely no longer being developed by the OP of this thread? Or am I missing updates elsewhere?

8 hours ago, Sir_Fanch said:

Come now, 4 posts up isn't that far to go :P

I had read that but I wasn't home and didn't know what cfg files there were with this mod so I was getting confirmation of which exact file for when I got home

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.