[1.1.2] Real Solar System Expanded (0.14.0)

ImkSushi

On 7/6/2016 at 7:49 PM, NathanKell said:

I specifically mentioned, at the start of this thread, which values to use.

What would the process be to get the correct inclinations for the heliocentric and non-heliocentric bodies (assuming they aren't correct)?

For example, would it just be "Get JPL object database inclination, and add/subtract Earth's inclination from that value"?

If so, I wouldn't mind compiling a quick community hotfix until ImkSushi is able to come back and address this. The majority of the work would be bothersome data-entry, and I can automate that relatively easily.

I messed around with the inclinations of Vesta, but adding and subtracting Earth's inclination didn't seem to get it to an orbital inclination of 7° (per 7.14040615716409 from the JPL small-body database), so I'm surely doing something wrong.

Jupiter's moons (500-Metis, 501-Adrastea, and 502-Amalthea) appeared to be resolved (they appeared to be within the few degrees of inclination per their JPL entries) by adding Earth's inclination, so I'd like to know what the heck is going on to cause this to happen as I don't know why Earth's inclination is involved with Jupiter's moons.

I've disabled the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" file so Earth is properly tilted.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

14 hours ago, Guswut said:

What would the process be to get the correct inclinations for the heliocentric and non-heliocentric bodies (assuming they aren't correct)?

For example, would it just be "Get JPL object database inclination, and add/subtract Earth's inclination from that value"?

If so, I wouldn't mind compiling a quick community hotfix until ImkSushi is able to come back and address this. The majority of the work would be bothersome data-entry, and I can automate that relatively easily.

I messed around with the inclinations of Vesta, but adding and subtracting Earth's inclination didn't seem to get it to an orbital inclination of 7° (per 7.14040615716409 from the JPL small-body database), so I'm surely doing something wrong.

Jupiter's moons (500-Metis, 501-Adrastea, and 502-Amalthea) appeared to be resolved (they appeared to be within the few degrees of inclination per their JPL entries) by adding Earth's inclination, so I'd like to know what the heck is going on to cause this to happen as I don't know why Earth's inclination is involved with Jupiter's moons.

I've disabled the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" file so Earth is properly tilted.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

You get all the orbital data directly from JPL HORIZONS, you don't need to do any conversions yourself. Just request it in Earth-equatorial reference form. And that would be great! :)

On 7/27/2016 at 10:53 AM, NathanKell said:

You get all the orbital data directly from JPL HORIZONS, you don't need to do any conversions yourself. Just request it in Earth-equatorial reference form. And that would be great! :)

It took me a bit to figure out exactly how to get the frame set up properly (I hope!). For anyone that might need to know how to do the same sometime in the future (to note, I'm only mostly kinda sure that this is correct, so hopefully someone that knows what the values should be can confirm the accuracy of this):

1. Go to http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi
  2. Change the "Ephemeris Type" field to "Orbital Elements"
  3. Change the "Target Body" field to which ever body you want)
    1. Depending on the body, you may need to select one of a few from a list, or you may need to find the correct designation for the body.
  4. The "Center" field defaults to "Sun (body center)", which should work (unless we're using "Solar System Barycenter (SSB)" for RSS, in which case I'll have to go back and update these values (to note, we are not using the barycenter, so stick with the body center)).
  5. Change "Time Span" to use "switch to discrete-times form", and then enter a time stamp of "2433282.4235"
    1. This is the value designated in RealSolarSystem's "RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg" file.
  6. Change the "Table Settings" to "output units" in "km & km/s", "reference plane" to "Earth mean equator and equinox of reference epoch", and "reference system" to "FK4/B1950.0".
    1. "CSV format" can also be helpful if you're automating the process as it puts each data point on a single line. Use "$$SOE" and "$$EOE" as your delimiters.
    2. The reference system is designated in the RealSolarSystem config "RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg".
  7. You can change "Display/Output" to "plain text" if you want to use an HTTP GET to grab the data. It's cleaner than the default "formatted HTML" in that manner, but you may want to stick with the default if you want to be able to more easily see the naked data.
  8. Click "Generate Ephemeris", and you'll be brought to a page with the data. Look for "$$SOE" and "$$EOE" (ctrl-f/cmd-f is your friend) to find your data. Below the table is a key giving you details on which item is which.

If you click the "show "batch-file" data" link below the "Generate Ephemeris" button, you'll get an output something like this:

!$$SOF
COMMAND= '243;'
CENTER= '500@10'
MAKE_EPHEM= 'YES'
TABLE_TYPE= 'ELEMENTS'
TLIST='2433282.4235'
OUT_UNITS= 'KM-S'
REF_PLANE= 'FRAME'
REF_SYSTEM= 'B1950'
TP_TYPE= 'ABSOLUTE'
ELEM_LABELS= 'YES'
CSV_FORMAT= 'YES'
OBJ_DATA= 'YES'
!$$EOF

This can be formatted into a batch command by removing the "!$$SOF" and "!SSEOF" lines, putting an ampersand ("&") at the end of each line, removing all of the newlines (line breaks, put everything onto a single line instead of a bunch of lines), and finally add "http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons_batch.cgi?batch=1&" to the front of the line. You'll end up with a link like this:

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons_batch.cgi?batch=1&COMMAND= '243;'&CENTER= '500@10'&MAKE_EPHEM= 'YES'&TABLE_TYPE= 'ELEMENTS'&TLIST='2433282.4235'&OUT_UNITS= 'KM-S'&REF_PLANE= 'FRAME'&REF_SYSTEM= 'B1950'&TP_TYPE= 'ABSOLUTE'&ELEM_LABELS= 'YES'&CSV_FORMAT= 'YES'&OBJ_DATA= 'YES'

Any irregular characters will get converted to the proper HTML characters (at least during my test in Chrome on Windows, your mileage may vary), which should get you a link like this:http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons_batch.cgi?batch=1&COMMAND=%20%27243;%27&CENTER=%20%27500@10%27&MAKE_EPHEM=%20%27YES%27&TABLE_TYPE=%20%27ELEMENTS%27&TLIST=%272433282.4235%27&OUT_UNITS=%20%27KM-S%27&REF_PLANE=%20%27FRAME%27&REF_SYSTEM=%20%27B1950%27&TP_TYPE=%20%27ABSOLUTE%27&ELEM_LABELS=%20%27YES%27&CSV_FORMAT=%20%27YES%27&OBJ_DATA=%20%27YES%27

There is also a Telnet interface if you want to go that route. More details on how to connect can be found here: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons

Also, make sure to not hammer the server as per any batch jobs. Delay your requests to one a second at the most, and run it in sequence (do one request at a time).

Now, for part two of my post: Asking for assistance. Specifically, I was able to get the bodies that are orbiting the Sun all good to go (as far as I can tell. The orbits appear to be at roughly the inclinations they should be versus the Sun, and they seemed to be in the right general locations as well), but I couldn't get any satellites to work. I've tried all three reference frames with no luck (everything is on an escape trajectory, off to find a solar system where the person running it knows orbital mechanics better than I do).

If you have the time, could you confirm which setting/settings I've got wrong above to deal with satellites? Assuming, of course, that any of the above is correct (ugh!). On my first attempt I got passable-ish orbits (they appears to be at the right inclination, right distance, etc) by adding the value for Earth's inclination to their inclination. But as you said it should be a copy-paste from the JPL Horizons page, so I'm surely doing something wrong there.

Edit: For satellites, all that is required is to change "Center" to the correct center body for the orbital system, which should be "500@", the number of the planet (or dwarf planet in the case of Pluto, which is still considered "9"), and then "99". For example: "500@599" would be Jupiter's center, to be used with any moons of Jupiter. You can find this in RealSolarSystem configs for any moons, which is where I found it after I went to double check my (more or less) correct numbers.

Also, I couldn't get the JPL Horizons system to talk to me about satellites of satellites (Z1-Dactyl (Ida) and Z1-Vanth (Orcus)). I am I just missing something obvious? (Still a problem)

Oh, and the file "000-RSSPatches.cfg", besides changing the inclinations, also had a vertex height map for Iapetus. I've ported that out of that file (which should be tossed out, or at least disabled via a rename to add .DISABLED to the end of the filename) and put it into a file called "603-Iapetus.cfg" in a folder called "RSSPatches".

If anyone wants to give them a quick test, I've tossed them together on wetransfer.com (the link will only be live for a week, but before it goes down we'll hopefully have resolved the outstanding issues and I'll put it someone that won't get deleted in a week): https://we.tl/4G6r32wgn3

If you're looking for the download for this unofficial patch, check out my second to next post a few posts down, or click here: 

I assume that I need to add a license (better safe than sorry, right?), so here goes:

Credits:
imkSushi for doing something
pozine for making the mod in the first place
NathanKell for Real Solar System
ThomasP for Kopernicus (sorry about the axial tilt discussion)
Sigma88 for SigmaBinary
the ksp devs for KSP
anyone who downloaded the mod for supporting the mod

This hot patch that will be gone in a week is licensed by the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

I have made changes to the original work provided by the above authors.

Thanks!

Edit#1.0:

I've updated my instructions regarding the time stamp and time form to use to get accurate positions, and I've updated the reference system to make sure we're using the same system (by default JPL Horizons had me using "ICRF/J2000.0", or I somehow ended up on that value so directly making sure to state which we're using is not a bad idea).

I'll make a new post with a new offload of the planetary bodies that I've got working (not on an escape trajectory with a core-inspection-level "flyby" on a gas giant/etc) with the updated accurate starting time and reference system.

Edit#1.1:

Forgot the links and code for the batch jobs. Those have been updated.

Edit#2.0: Typo in second link

Edit#2.1: No, all the links, ugh!

Edit#3.0: Incorrect time used, per the "RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg" comment:

// Form: Epoch is the time in seconds until the epoch of orbital elements.
    // We use B1950.0 == 1949-12-31 22:09:18.216 Temps Atomique International.
    // The game starts at 1951-01-01 00:00:00.0000 Temps Atomique International.
    // In other words, the year 1951 begins in Greenwich roughly when the game
    // starts (We do *not* use UTC because leap seconds are discontinuous, and UTC
    // is not defined in 1951; UT1 is a right mess).
    // The time to epoch was computed as -(365*24*3600 + 24*3600 - 22*3600 - 9*60 - 18.216).
    Epoch = -31542641.784 

// The orbital elements are computed using the Jet Propulsion Laboratory
    // HORIZONS system (http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi) using the following
    // settings in order to get correct axial tilt for Earth at epoch:
    //   Start time      : A.D. 1949-Dec-31 22:09:50.4000 CT [JD2433282.4235]
    //   Reference frame : FK4/B1950.0  
    //   Output type     : GEOMETRIC osculating elements
    //   Coordinate systm: Earth Mean Equator and Equinox of Reference Epoch
    //   We use the primary's centre as our centre, this results in accurate
    // positions at epoch. To quote HORIZONS,
    //   Reference epoch: B1950.0 
    //   xy-plane: plane of the Earth's mean equator at the reference epoch
    //   x-axis  : out along ascending node of instantaneous plane of the Earth's
    //            orbit and the Earth's mean equator at the reference epoch
    //   z-axis  : along the Earth mean north pole at the reference epoch
    // We do not set the periods because nothing good can come out of
    // inconsistent orbital elements.

This is why you should read things completely before running off and doing things.

Edit4.0: Satellite JPL Horizons instructions added to post.

Edit5.0: Removing (now expired) download link with a link to the post that contains non-expiring download links.

Edited by Guswut
See bottom of post for edit logging.

16 hours ago, Guswut said:
  1. Go to http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi
  2. Change the "Ephemeris Type" field to "Orbital Elements"
  3. Change the "Target Body" field to which ever body you want)
    1. Depending on the body, you may need to select one of a few from a list, or you may need to find the correct designation for the body.
  4. The "Center" field defaults to "Sun (body center)", which should work (unless we're using "Solar System Barycenter (SSB)" for RSS, in which case I'll have to go back and update these values).
  5. Change "Time Span" to "Start" on today's date, "End" on tomorrow's date, and set the "Step" to "2" "Days".
    1. This will give you just one data point, which should be fine (unless it is not, in which case I'm not sure what you'd want to do to get the numbers accurate).
  6. Change the "Table Settings" to "output units" in "km & km/s", and "reference plane" to "Earth mean equator and equinox of reference epoch".
    1. "CSV format" can also be helpful if you're automating the process as it puts each data point on a single line. Use "$$SOE" and "$$EOE" as your delimiters.
  7. You can change "Display/Output" to "plain text" if you want to use an HTTP GET to grab the data. It's cleaner than the default "formatted HTML" in that manner, but you may want to stick with the default if you want to be able to more easily see the naked data.
  8. Click "Generate Ephemeris", and you'll be brought to a page with the data. Look for "$$SOE" and "$$EOE" (ctrl-f/cmd-f is your friend) to find your data. Below the table is a key giving you details on which item is which.

#5 is different from what is used with the original RSS bodies. It was based on the time span in 1949, but other than that, GREAT job!

On 7/28/2016 at 8:03 PM, pap1723 said:

#5 is different from what is used with the original RSS bodies. It was based on the time span in 1949, but other than that, GREAT job!

Yeah, I ended up noticing that I wasn't using the solar system barycenter right around the end when I was doing some manual checks against the data. If I can get the correct date/time, I'll re-run all of the solar satellites (the only I've got working thus far, d'oh!) using 500@0... 500@10

I just checked and the RSS readme lists the following:

*Added new root-of-config property Epoch, for setting starting date. Now, KSP year 0 is 1950.

Which I'd assume means "January 1st, 1950" (2433282.4235) is the correct time to go with. I'll toss together some new values under that assumption, at least for the items I'm able to get correct. And I'll likely hit my head against the problem over the weekend to try and get the other bodies resolved if possible, as I'm surely just misunderstanding the data and application of it in this case.

Thanks!

EDIT (2016-07-28--20-19-19):

Found it! And by "it", I mean "the correct/exact date":

// Form: Epoch is the time in seconds until the epoch of orbital elements.
    // We use B1950.0 == 1949-12-31 22:09:18.216 Temps Atomique International.
    // The game starts at 1951-01-01 00:00:00.0000 Temps Atomique International.
    // In other words, the year 1951 begins in Greenwich roughly when the game
    // starts (We do *not* use UTC because leap seconds are discontinuous, and UTC
    // is not defined in 1951; UT1 is a right mess).

This was at the top of the "Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RealSolarSystem\RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg" file. Which is where it should be, and where I should have looked first!

Now onwards to glorious additional orbital bodies!

EDIT (2016-07-30--12-13-21):

If I had only decided to read the next paragraph, I'd have seen this:

[...]

// The orbital elements are computed using the Jet Propulsion Laboratory
    // HORIZONS system (http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi) using the following
    // settings in order to get correct axial tilt for Earth at epoch:
    //   Start time      : A.D. 1949-Dec-31 22:09:50.4000 CT [JD2433282.4235]
    //   Reference frame : FK4/B1950.0  
    //   Output type     : GEOMETRIC osculating elements
    //   Coordinate systm: Earth Mean Equator and Equinox of Reference Epoch
    //   We use the primary's centre as our centre, this results in accurate
    // positions at epoch. To quote HORIZONS,
    //   Reference epoch: B1950.0 
    //   xy-plane: plane of the Earth's mean equator at the reference epoch
    //   x-axis  : out along ascending node of instantaneous plane of the Earth's
    //            orbit and the Earth's mean equator at the reference epoch
    //   z-axis  : along the Earth mean north pole at the reference epoch
    // We do not set the periods because nothing good can come out of
    // inconsistent orbital elements.

[...]

Which gives us a date of 2433282.4235 which is the Julian Day Number for CE 1949 December 31 22:09:50.4 UT.

And in testing and finding that my numbers are rather off with Jupiter I dug into Jupiter.cfg and found this (which I certainly have read before, but entirely didn't consider as an important data point, most likely because my ears are separated by wax alone):

[...]

Orbit
        {
            // Target body name: Jupiter (599)
            // Center body name: Sun (10)
            // Center-site name: BODY CENTER

[...]

Using 500@10 as the center body, and the correct date, I'm getting a semi major axis delta of -5.10849000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001258, which I'm not sure how to correct so I'll run with that.

I should have new configs for the sun orbiting bodies shortly.

Edited by Guswut
See edit log at bottom of post.

RSSExpansion Unofficial Patch v2016-08-06--18-59-37 can be found at SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1276/Real Solar System Expanded - Unofficial Patch v2016-08-06--18-59-37

The rest of the below post will be kept for posterity's sake, in case someone really wants one of the in-between versions, or if SpaceDock ever dies the way whatever the name of that one site that used to be the go-to KSP mod site but ended up dying is called.

Thanks!

(See lower in the post for details on a second download with adds all of the bodies except for "Z1-Dactyl" and "Z1-Vanth", although I'm not entirely sure about the Pluto system).

Alright, I've tossed together the following updated .CFG files:

• 001-Vesta.cfg
  • 002-Juno.cfg
  • 003-Ceres.cfg
  • 004-Pallas.cfg
  • 005-Ida.cfg
  • 006-67P.cfg
  • 007-Lutetia.cfg
  • 008-Orcus.cfg
  • 009-Makemake.cfg
  • 010-Chariklo.cfg
  • 011-Halley.cfg
  • 012 - Sedna.cfg

And I've renamed "012 - Sedna.cfg" to "012-Sedna.cfg" to keep with file convention.

The changes reflect what I hope is an accurate input on the orbital characteristics based upon the data from the RSS mod.

This removes the changes made in "000-RSSPatches.cfg" (and the entire file) to get the solar system angled properly again to simulate the tilt of Earth.

Additionally, the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" file contained a patch for the existing body Iapetus, so I've split this out into a subfolder "RSSPatches" and added a "603-Iapetus.cfg" file in their for handling this change. The change is a vertex height map from what I can see.

I have not patched (and they're not included as such) any bodies that orbit a body that isn't the Sun. I'm working on figuring out how to make JPL Horizons give me accurate data from that, and will toss those up as soon as I get them.

Download #2 now includes all bodies except for "Z1-Dactyl" and "Z1-Vanth", although for some reason I'm getting an inclination around 90° for most of the moons which seems incorrect to me. From what I can see, this may just be how it is, but I'm not entirely sure:

The satellites' orbits are circular (eccentricity < 0.006) and coplanar with Pluto's equator (inclination < 1°),[136][137] and therefore tilted approximately 120° relative to Pluto's orbit.

If anyone can comment on if this is accurate, please do! Here's a picture if that helps: http://imgur.com/nKYYMQy

http://guswut.com/KSP/ for all versions, license, usage, and actually that's already on this page.

Download #1 (just solar orbiting bodies): http://guswut.com/KSP/RSSExpansion_UnofficialPatch_2016-07-30--14-53-47.zip

Download #2 (all bodies except for "Z1-Dactyl" and "Z1-Vanth" (I still cannot find them in JPL Horizons)): http://guswut.com/KSP/RSSExpansion_UnofficialPatch_2016-07-31--14-47-10.zip

Download #3 (now all solar orbiting bodies (I did this before I did the satellites, but they'll be done shortly) have an orbit color which I made via a half-in-the-sun screenshot of each body, and then a bit of estimating what'll look alright in map view, as well as an updated DOE (Distant Object Enhancement) color based upon the orbital color): http://guswut.com/KSP/RSSExpansion_UnofficialPatch_2016-08-06--10-33-21.zip

Download #4 (now ALL bodies have an orbit color which I made via a half-in-the-sun screenshot of each body, and then a bit of estimating what'll look alright in map view, as well as an updated DOE (Distant Object Enhancement) color based upon the orbital color): http://guswut.com/KSP/RSSExpansion_UnofficialPatch_2016-08-06--18-59-37.zip

Usage: Replace the RSSExpansion folder in your GameData with the contents of that ZIP file. Make SURE that you've removed the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" or you'll end up with strange inclinations!

License:

Credits:
imkSushi for doing something
pozine for making the mod in the first place
NathanKell for Real Solar System
ThomasP for Kopernicus (sorry about the axial tilt discussion)
Sigma88 for SigmaBinary
the ksp devs for KSP
anyone who downloaded the mod for supporting the mod

This hot patch, that will be gone in a week, is licensed by the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

I have made changes to the original work provided by the above authors.

Enjoy, and hopefully I'll figure out the satellite mechanics soon!

Edit (2016-07-31--11-08-01): "the the", really now? This is what I get for sleeping on this post!

Edit (2016-07-31--14-36-34): Added additional bodies (everything except for "Z1-Dactyl" and "Z1-Vanth"), may have made the Pluto system off somehow (not sure how), added Download#2 to the download location.

Edit (2016-08-06--10-29-06): Moving downloads to my personal domain so the downloads don't disappear in a few days.

Edit (2016-08-06--10-37-48): Added third download for orbit-color-changed files as well, in case people want 'em too.

Edit (2016-08-06--10-46-02): Updating third link to make evident of my failures as a person that remembers to color within the lines.

Edit (2016-08-06--19-03-44): Adding fourth download link now that coloring within the lines is a completed skill. Also, I forgot that I updated the DOE (Distant Object Enhancement) values in both download three and four, so those are noted as updated.

Edit (2017-03-25--08-02-02): After the web server that my personal site sits on took a flying SRB-assisted launch at a rolling ROUND-8 toroidal fuel tank, which is to say I forgot about it and Bad Things™ happened, I restored an older backup that didn't have the KSP directory. I've since re-created the directory, reuploaded the files, and I've also added a SpaceDock upload because it's much more likely to not have an issue compared to my page. The above links have been modified to put SpaceDock as the primary and my site as the secondary/backup.

Edited by Guswut
See edit log at the bottom of the post.

9 hours ago, Sir_Fanch said:

@Guswut I hope you're not offended if I say I love you. Gonna give it a look now, but you've made me quite happy :P.

No offense taken at all!

Tell me if you see anything that looks out of place as far as the orbits go.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Guswut said:

Tell me if you see anything that looks out of place as far as the orbits go.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the KBO's or minor moons to make that kind of call, although the only one that jumped out at me was, as you mentioned, pluto's satellites immediately looked strange, but 2 months ago I wasn't aware Pluto had satellites, or that it was a binary system, so there's that :P. I'm just excited to have all the stuff in the right place finally so that I can use it, although someone mentioned earlier in the thread that some of the satellites in this mod had SOI's smaller than the planet they were associated, so were basically useless (as you couldn't orbit or land on them), so that might be something that needs addressing also, although I have no idea how to check that, short of trying to orbit all of the bodies.

Anyway, great work on the patches mate, thoroughly appreciate it :D

So, I acquired the updates @Guswut put forward, and I would just like to confirm whether this image of the inner Solar System is correct. This is what the inner system looks like for me. Earth is the blue circle on the right of the Sun. The inclinations of objects in the asteroid belt look a little high, but it might just be me.

ne8v7EQ.png

Edited by SyzygyΣE

12 hours ago, SyzygyΣE said:

So, I acquired the updates @Guswut put forward, and I would just like to confirm whether this image of the inner Solar System is correct. This is what the inner system looks like for me. Earth is the blue circle on the right of the Sun. The inclinations of objects in the asteroid belt look a little high, but it might just be me.

Did you remove the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" file, or rename it to something like "000-RSSPatches.cfg.DISABLED"?

That'd be my guess as to what is happening as that file introduces a bunch of inclination changes to the stock-RSS planets. The real tip-off is that your camera appears to be working as if you were using the stock game, instead of tilted to the side from the inclination modifications.

This is what it should look like without that file (please disregard the coloring of the orbits of the bodies, as I messed with that for my own personal usage):

SXxcmOH.png

This is a roughly side-on view (notice the camera is innately tilted, because of the inclination change for the whole solar system because Earth is a wee bit tipsy as it were):

2QJtBFS.png

Please double check that you've disabled or deleted the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" file (the simplest thing to do is to remove the entire contents of the "RSSExpansion" folder and replace it with my upload (which is going to run out shortly, bother!)).

10 minutes ago, Guswut said:

Did you remove the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" file, or rename it to something like "000-RSSPatches.cfg.DISABLED"?

That'd be my guess as to what is happening as that file introduces a bunch of inclination changes to the stock-RSS planets. The real tip-off is that your camera appears to be working as if you were using the stock game, instead of tilted to the side from the inclination modifications.

Please double check that you've disabled or deleted the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" file (the simplest thing to do is to remove the entire contents of the "RSSExpansion" folder and replace it with my upload (which is going to run out shortly, bother!)).

Haha, it's alright. I've kept a copy of the download so I can still have it even when the link runs out, just in case I need for reference. And yes, you are right about the "000-RSSPatches.cfg" being present. I've removed that now. I will test once more and confirm whether this does the job. Thanks for your help and effort in providing this update. :)

Would you mind informing me how you've changed the objects' colours in the Tracking Station? You were able to modify those?

Edited by SyzygyΣE

20 minutes ago, SyzygyΣE said:

Would you mind informing me how you've changed the objects' colours in the Tracking Station? You were able to modify those?

What I did was change the value of the "color" variable under the "orbit" module in each file. As an example:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]
{
	Body
	{
		name = Ida
		flightGlobalsIndex = 31
		Template
		{
			name = Eeloo
		}
		Orbit
		{
			// Target body name: Ida (589)
			referenceBody            = Sun
			semiMajorAxis            = 427904743543.44635
			eccentricity             = 0.046474075527804304
			inclination              = 24.39428219340693
			meanAnomalyAtEpochD      = 129.3100272836345
			longitudeOfAscendingNode = 358.4223635049695
			argumentOfPeriapsis      = 75.014701982506807
			color                    = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
		}
[...TRUNCATED!...]

That's Ida's CFG file, with the default color of the orbit. The colors are in (what I'm likely erroneously calling) unidigit decimal format, meaning that "1.0" is equivalent to "255" in standard decimal color format, of "FF" in standard hexadecimal color format. It also uses a fourth unit to deal with alpha, but when I tried messing around with that I didn't have much like (I likely forgot to clear a cache or something though).

The Ida that I'm using (and is now included in download link number three here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/139492-112-real-solar-system-expanded-0140/&do=findComment&comment=2698947) is as follows:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]
{
	Body
	{
		name = Ida
		flightGlobalsIndex = 31
		Template
		{
			name = Eeloo
		}
		Orbit
		{
			// Target body name: Ida (589)
			referenceBody            = Sun
			semiMajorAxis            = 427904743543.44635
			eccentricity             = 0.046474075527804304
			inclination              = 24.39428219340693
			meanAnomalyAtEpochD      = 129.3100272836345
			longitudeOfAscendingNode = 358.4223635049695
			argumentOfPeriapsis      = 75.014701982506807
			color                    = 0.396078, 0.396078, 0.396078, 1.0
		}
[...TRUNCATED!...]

I got the values by taking screenshots of all of the solar-orbiting bodies (you'll notice that none of the satellites are done. I, too, just noticed that, D'OH!) and took a rough sampling of their colors and then converted the hexadecimal color into unidigit decimal.

I've included my changed version in the above post, so if you want to use something that is (mostly) completed (and will be finished shortly now that I recall those satellites!) I'd say give it a whirl.

Alrighty, hopefully the last update until @ImkSushi comes back.

The fourth version of this unofficial patch has orbital line colors and DOE (Distant Object Enhancement) colors for all objects (not just solar satellites). Enjoy!

SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1276/Real Solar System Expanded - Unofficial Patch v2016-08-06--18-59-37

Direct link (just in case):

http://guswut.com/KSP/RSSExpansion_UnofficialPatch_2016-08-06--18-59-37.zip

Also, check out this post if you need further versions, more rambling, etc:

Edited by Guswut
(2017-03-25--08-10-10) Adding SpaceDock link, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome mod, thanks very much for all your work in compiling this and thanks to Guswut for the unofficial patch.  At the risk of descending deeper into unofficial patchception, I've further patched Guswut's files for the nine moons of Jupiter and Saturn which had SoI radii smaller than they were.  I somewhat arbitrarily set the SoI radius to be 3x the planetary radius.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5a1kiolr39h68t/RSSESOIPatch.zip?dl=0

Those go right into the GameData/RSSExpansion folder and overwrite the existing files.  

14 hours ago, TMarkos said:

Awesome mod, thanks very much for all your work in compiling this and thanks to Guswut for the unofficial patch.  At the risk of descending deeper into unofficial patchception, I've further patched Guswut's files for the nine moons of Jupiter and Saturn which had SoI radii smaller than they were.  I somewhat arbitrarily set the SoI radius to be 3x the planetary radius.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5a1kiolr39h68t/RSSESOIPatch.zip?dl=0

Those go right into the GameData/RSSExpansion folder and overwrite the existing files.  

Thanks so much! 

I was busy doing a Grand Tour of the Saturn system, flyby after flyby, collecting cash and rep for contracts, when I tried to encounter Epimetheus, and could not get it to be intercepted while not turning my craft into a crater-maker.

Guswut, great mod!

Since I'm in a configuring mood, I've also made some edits to the various flyby contracts:

• Fixed the displayed/required altitude to better suit the smaller SoI of various bodies.
  • Contracts for flybys now have altitudes appropriate to historical flybys if one occurred (although some I had to alter since NASA gets really close on their maneuvers sometimes)
  • Changed the contract completion prerequisite for Neptunian moon flyby contracts to be Neptune, not Jupiter.
  • Changed the prerequisite for Makemake to be a Neptune flyby rather than Mars.
  • Added the missing flybys for Charon, Kerberos, Styx, Nix, Hydra and Sedna.
    • Charon requires Jupiter, like Pluto.
    • Kerberos, Styx, Nix and Hydra require both Charon and Pluto.
    • Sedna requires Neptune.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4td61b16rqvqc5/Fly-by Contracts.zip?dl=0

You can grab the additional files for the missing bodies only if you don't want the lower altitude limits, the higher ones should work fine (you'll just complete the contract whenever you enter the SoI).  

• 2 weeks later...

Installation of RSSx works als usual?

Because I've copied all three folders from the zip directly into the gamedata folder and replasced the RSSExpanded-folder with the one provided by Guswut. But KSP seems to have problems loading RSS afterwards: When the main menu comes up, it has Kerbin without clouds al background.

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2016 at 11:32 AM, Friedrich Nietzsche said:

Installation of RSSx works als usual?

Because I've copied all three folders from the zip directly into the gamedata folder and replasced the RSSExpanded-folder with the one provided by Guswut. But KSP seems to have problems loading RSS afterwards: When the main menu comes up, it has Kerbin without clouds al background.

You miss The Sigma Binary Mod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.