Sneak Peak at Bigelow's BEAM on a Kerbal ISS

DasValdez

WJ544Qf.png

I've been working on a bit of a special project, and thanks to @RoverDudewe finished up a bit of a sneak peek tonight. It turned out so awesomely I had to share it here... whew!

Today (5/12) I'm going to have a few special guests on my Kerbal Space Academy Twitch stream (twitch.tv/dasvaldez)... Engineers from Bigelow Aerospace will be joining me for a live Q&A and Kerbal Demonstration of the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM) which is currently installed on the ISS IRL and scheduled for expansion in about 2.5 weeks. The Bigelow staff will be around for about an hour answering questions and talking about the mission, starting at 5 PM EDT, while I perform the tasks in KSP.  

Roverdude knocked out a very Kerbaly KERB... the Kerbalow Expandable Recreation Bubble, complete with IVA, and tonight I was able to deliver it to my K-ISS via a Falcon (boostback and ship landing capable) with a Dragon on top. I have a fully functional Kanadarm2 made with iR + the iR Model Rework pack by @ZodiusInfuser... it's able to capture and berth the Dragon, remove the KERB from the trunk, and install it over on Tranquility Node 3 right next to our Kerbal-sized cupola. 

Stream and Q&A will be open to the public... I plan to spool up around 3 PM EDT May 12th and the Bigelow guests will join me at 5 PM. 

Edited by DasValdez

Thanks! The Kanadarm is a blast to operate... if a bit squirmy... Roverdude's KERB fits the station perfectly! I will be uploading the craft files at the end of the show, I have both a full Stock and Modded ISS which runs very well in 1.1.

ISS is launched as one piece... good times, heh!

10 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

Hey @DasValdez What mods did you use to make the K-ISS, Dragon, and Falcon 9?

Also @RoverDude Can you please set up a download of your KERB? It looks awesome!

Dragon and Falcon are stock, ISS is just IR, the IR Model Rework, KAS, and Near Future Solar. I have a full stock ISS as well with no Canadarm and more part intensive stock solar arrays, will up[load and post here after the stream :D

7 hours ago, samstarman5 said:

I love seeing love given to Bigelow. SpaceX and Virgin is awesome and all, but their primary effort has been to getting into space. Bigelow's been focusing on keeping us in space.

Did you see the ULA show? 100+ successful rocket launches... and we spent an entire hour talking about Cislunar1000/ACES/XEUS with Tory Bruno. :D

http://www.twitch.tv/dasvaldez/v/53283711

Craft and wallpaper downloads!

K-ISS Kanadarm Edition: 7DOF IR Kanadarm2 capable of "walking" around the station via grapple!

Falcon9 Boostback + Cargo Dragon w/Trunk. Retractable strongback and pad fashion lighting!

K-ISS Wallpapers:

Dragon Wallpapers

3c755bed8aee1ba75c894ce4b7a3fcc8.gif

Congrats Das on an excellent stream last evening.  I was able to catch you from about the time you went live until right after the guys (or perhaps I should say people, there was a woman present) from Bigelow had to take off.

All the people from Bigelow seemed to have a great time on stream last night, they sounded like they were enjoying themselves and loved what you did with the KERB!

p.s. Expandable sir, not Inflatable!

0.25? For heavy (or large, with high moment of inertia) structures even this value may still be too much. For heavy-duty servos, I never go faster than 0.1, and sometimes even use 0.05. IRL this kind of operation may take hours.

1 minute ago, davidy12 said:

@DasValdezWhere'd you get the BEAM?

31 minutes ago, DMSP said:

Wait, may I ask, is there anyway we can download that BEAM as a mod! What a incredible thing!

DasValdez, that station is absolutely beautiful.

For now, the KERB is not publicly available... Roverdude made it specially for the Bigelow show. I'll be talking with Bigelow in the coming weeks about an official modpack with BEAM, 330, Olympus... etc. Seems there's a lot of interest. :)

13 minutes ago, DasValdez said:

(...) I'll be talking with Bigelow in the coming weeks about an official modpack with BEAM, 330, Olympus... etc. Seems there's a lot of interest. :)

Of course's there's Porkjet's Habitat Pack that does a good job covering inflatable habitats, and the PA330 has more than just the name in common with the Bigelow contraptions...

But it'd be great to see a Bigelow sanctioned mod. To be launch on a ULA sanctioned rocket, of course!

12 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

But it'd be great to see a Bigelow sanctioned mod. To be launch on a ULA sanctioned rocket, of course!

That's the plan, and sets the stage for another cool show with ULA/Bigelow Engineers!

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.