RoveMax Model M1 Barely Turning

Hello, all!

Just getting into making rovers.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that the RoveMax Model M1 wheels turn much at all. As in, 30-40 seconds to do a 360.

I've looked at the wheels when turning, and they rotate in the same direction (so they aren't steering against each other).

I also have the wheels set to: Front wheels for steering, rear wheels motorized

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by ElectroPulse

13 hours ago, bewing said:

It works a lot better if you turn the motors and the steering on for all wheels. They are built for all-wheel drive and steering. Try that and see if you like it more.

Thank you for the reply!

Tried that first, and didn't work either.

Here's a picture of the rover I'm testing the tires on (very simple initial one): pFMJtCs.png

I've tried "Prospector Rover (stock)," and it works without issue. Even deleting the wheels and putting them back on it works (wanted to make sure that wheels I place aren't bugged).

Any ideas?

Edited by ElectroPulse

OK, I finally had some time to do a little testing. Your rovemate main body is on upside-down. This is the source of your problems. The little diagonal cutoff bits are supposed to be on the bottom.

A general solution I'd like to suggest is to put a forward-facing docking port on any rovers you have and control from there. That allows you to avoid issues like this where your command part is facing the wrong way, and has the added benefit of allowing you to set other landed objects as targets and see those targets on the navball.

On 5/13/2016 at 3:19 AM, ElectroPulse said:

Thank you for the reply!

Tried that first, and didn't work either.

<snip>

I've tried "Prospector Rover (stock)," and it works without issue. Even deleting the wheels and putting them back on it works (wanted to make sure that wheels I place aren't bugged).

Any ideas?

The Rovermate's orientation basically looks forward out the larger flat side of the body. So if the flat side is up, the control source is looking UP. The way you have it in your picture, it's looking down. Either one in 1.1.2 will not orient the wheels correctly... the control point needs to be set to try and be level with the horizon at the "front" or "back" of a vehicle for the wheels to work on steering correctly. 
(This wasn't an issue with earlier versions of the game... but after the last update, wheels are a lot more picky about which way the probe/pod is facing)

Generally, the reason the stock prospector works is because it uses the command chair part for control, which are oriented to face the front of the vehicle.

As eloquentJane said... a docking port on the front will give you a control point option which can be used to correct the control facing.

Thank you for the replies, all!

For some reason my previous reply did not post...

Anyway, it's working with it flipped over, just need to invert the steering direction. I'll give the docking port a try.

Thanks for explaining how it works! Definitely a very detailed and complex game :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.